Toothpaste Recommendations?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just started brushing my cat's teeth, but reading the ingredients on the toothpaste tube made me raise an eyebrow...are they okay eating this stuff???

For whatever reason, I haven't found many discussions on recommended cat toothpaste brands. Since cat toothpaste are ingested, I expected to find more conversations about which ingredients would be better for the kitties, but a search didn't come up with much.

So, I would love to hear your experiences, tips and tricks and general thoughts on teeth brushing for cats :D

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hate to admit it, but I don't really choose toothpaste based on the ingredients. I choose it based on whether or not my cats like the flavour, because them liking toothpaste makes brushing way less traumatic. Their favourite is the CET Poultry, though they are also ok with malt Sentry and CET flavours.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Mouse has had regular enzyme toothpaste for around 7 years now. His teeth are clear of plaque and I'd rather give him the paste which is controlled than anything you add to water.

It's usually Logic poutry he has but the vet started stocking a different make in fish flavour recently so that's what he's getting at the moment. I agree - the main thing is that he likes it as I know Mouse has significant risk of oral and dental problems.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are lots of threads on toothpastes and dental care here on TCS :) Here are a few:

Toothpaste For Cats
Does Everyone That Brush Their Cat's Teeth Use Toothpaste?
Toothpaste Flavor?
what do you use to brush your cat's teeth
Dental Care
Oral Care/products
What Tcs Members Use: Cat Dental Health Care
Teeth Care?

CET is a popular brand of pet toothpaste. The poultry flavored one is a hit with most cats.

C.E.T.® Enzymatic Toothpastes

The CET mini cat toothbrush works best. There's a picture of what the toothbrush looks like in this thread. It's only available as part of a kit. Here's one kit: Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Cat Kit, Seafood Flavor - Chewy.com I just bought a different CET kit with poultry flavored toothpaste from Amazon. You won't find CET products at chain pet stores. Some independent pet stores may have some products. Your vet or groomer may also have CET products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, it seems like you guys usually get it from the vets. mine seems pretty okay with the brushing and the current flavor (malt), I can manage to brush the outside of his teeth, but when i try to brush the inside, it's more of him trying to eat the toothbrush.. lol

Thank you all for responding to my thread! I'll definitely look into CET poultry flavored and the mini head toothbrush :) I'm pretty sure the current brush I'm using isn't soft enough.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but reading the ingredients on the toothpaste tube made me raise an eyebrow...are they okay eating this stuff???
Same concern here, I also started a topic while ago, but seems that not so many people are concerned about the toothpaste ingredients.
We are using Beaphar enzymatic toothpaste. They like the flavour. They even run to get their tooth brushed whenever I pick up toothbrush and paste :)
It is good they like the flavour, but I cannot ease my mind on what will be the long term effects, since they are ingesting it.
I will check the links LTS3 LTS3 .

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know about a good toothpaste as I am still looking for one for Salem. But, I did find one that was really gross. It was Dr. Foster and Smith's chicken flavored enzymatic toothpaste. It was as sticky as honey and smelled horrid. Salem freaked just smelling it, forget putting it anywhere near her mouth. I can't blame her. I got a little on my hand and despite multiple washings, I could still smell it.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same concern here, I also started a topic while ago, but seems that not so many people are concerned about the toothpaste ingredients.
We are using Beaphar enzymatic toothpaste. They like the flavour. They even run to get their tooth brushed whenever I pick up toothbrush and paste :)
It is good they like the flavour, but I cannot ease my mind on what will be the long term effects, since they are ingesting it.
I will check the links LTS3 LTS3 .
I didn't see any information related to the ingredients in the links :(

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay I found some online info
it has the following to say about several ingredients in my current toothpaste, I don't know how credible any of the following are, so I encourage you to do your own research...
All sources are linked via the ingredient name

Sorbitol
"Sorbitol is used as a preservative ... it is a laxative and can have many other negative side affects. Sugar alcohols are seriously bad for dogs and can cause mild to severe health problems and death."

Glycerin
"laxative"

Dicalcium phosphate
"It can cause calcification of soft tissue and research has shown it leads to kidney stones, as well."

Dextrose and Barley Malt extract (Sugars in general... also sorbitol)
"...cancer cells thrive on sugar as do many other disease processes. Sugar comes in many forms, including...dextrose...sorbital...barley malt"

Xantham Gum
"Whether or not xanthan gum is contributing to the development of IBD in cats, one thing is clear: with the established link between bacterial overgrowth and IBD ... cats with inflammatory bowel disease should not be eating xanthan gum."

Acidified Calcium Sulfate
Looks like a preservative?

Potassium Benzoate
"Sodium Benzoate is a preservative...– it is not natural. Sodium benzoate is a salt of benzoic acid, which is known to be toxic for cats."

Potassium Sorbate
"considered safe for both dogs and cats at a maximum content of 5 000 mg/kg semi-moist complete feed, based on the limited data available in public literature. Potassium sorbate is a skin and eye irritant and a potential irritant of the respiratory tract...added to food...as preservative "

This only leaves two other things on the ingredient list that seems relatively harmless.
Water and Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract (the last ingredient on the list and also the whole "enzymic" portion)

I don't know how much of the above information is substantiated, but I think I'm going to stop using the toothpaste for a while and look for more natural alternatives. I know it's really hard to be 100% natural and chemical safe (I mean we're trying to brush a cats teeth for goodness sakes!), however I think there should be a better option out there where the pros outweigh the cons...

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a bit like with commercial toothpastes for humans, lots of toxic stuff :( I’ve read that some cat owners make natural dyi toothpaste made of baking soda or coconut oil. Frankly I am wondering if toothpaste for cats is actually necessary or does it work like a treat, maybe toothbrush alone would be good enough for a cat that would accept it?

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
okay I found some online info
it has the following to say about several ingredients in my current toothpaste, I don't know how credible any of the following are, so I encourage you to do your own research...
All sources are linked via the ingredient name

Sorbitol
"Sorbitol is used as a preservative ... it is a laxative and can have many other negative side affects. Sugar alcohols are seriously bad for dogs and can cause mild to severe health problems and death."

Glycerin
"laxative"

Dicalcium phosphate
"It can cause calcification of soft tissue and research has shown it leads to kidney stones, as well."

Dextrose and Barley Malt extract (Sugars in general... also sorbitol)
"...cancer cells thrive on sugar as do many other disease processes. Sugar comes in many forms, including...dextrose...sorbital...barley malt"

Xantham Gum
"Whether or not xanthan gum is contributing to the development of IBD in cats, one thing is clear: with the established link between bacterial overgrowth and IBD ... cats with inflammatory bowel disease should not be eating xanthan gum."

Acidified Calcium Sulfate
Looks like a preservative?

Potassium Benzoate
"Sodium Benzoate is a preservative...– it is not natural. Sodium benzoate is a salt of benzoic acid, which is known to be toxic for cats."

Potassium Sorbate
"considered safe for both dogs and cats at a maximum content of 5 000 mg/kg semi-moist complete feed, based on the limited data available in public literature. Potassium sorbate is a skin and eye irritant and a potential irritant of the respiratory tract...added to food...as preservative "

This only leaves two other things on the ingredient list that seems relatively harmless.
Water and Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract (the last ingredient on the list and also the whole "enzymic" portion)

I don't know how much of the above information is substantiated, but I think I'm going to stop using the toothpaste for a while and look for more natural alternatives. I know it's really hard to be 100% natural and chemical safe (I mean we're trying to brush a cats teeth for goodness sakes!), however I think there should be a better option out there where the pros outweigh the cons...

Wouww… Thank you for the info. Many toothpaste including ours also include hydrated silica which also concerns me. Of course the amount that is consumed is also important. But I agree to go for a more natural solution where possible.
I sometimes use only water and baking soda to brush their teeth, but I am not sure if this will be enough to prevent tartar and dental diseases.
I occasionally try to give them raw meat chunks and meaty bones like chicken ribs, and necks. Personally I think the best natural solution for dental cleaning will be raw meaty bones.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband is a pharmacist .. and I’ll ask him a lot about ingredients, medication toxicity etc. I would look at this as cost-benefit. How harmful are bad teeth? How harmful are the ingredients? Look at the side affects and look at the situation you’re trying to prevent. Pick the the better option you feel is right. I, personally brush my cats teeth with cet poulty, and when i am lazy they get some dental treats. Idk if there is published research out there.. maybe you could ask your vet.. is there published research atually proving if it is dangerous? I would definitely trust the journals over bloggers. Sounds like you’re already most of the way there since your kitty is letting you do it. Good luck!

aimee d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone use a gel or a natural water additive for oral care?
I am trying to find something that is easier than brushing. I don't think he will allow it, AT ALL! I do LOVE the CET treats as well. Not sure if they help or not.
Thanks in advance.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This product "Supports healthy gums and teeth". It doesn't require brushing. I think you just drop some onto your finger and rub it onto the gums. I personally have not tried it so I can't give any opinions on whether or not it works, but I'm considering giving it a go. I haven't found something for the actual teeth yet without ingredients that don't make me cringe (I'll probably just have to suck it up and find one that is the lesser of the many evils), but I figured keeping up with gum health couldn't be a bad start.

Healthy Gums for Feline Periodontal Health - PetWellBeing.com

Healthy Gums for Feline Periodontal Health
Supports periodontal health
Natural maintenance for oral hygiene contributes to:

• Good resistance to oral infections
  • Less plaque build-up
  • More pleasant breath
  • Soothing of the gums
  • Prevention of problems that result from gum inflammation

Order Healthy Gums today and help your cat maintain good oral health and better breath!

90-day money-back guarantee
1 Bottle = 2 oz (59 ml) is a 2-3 month supply for most cats.

What is Healthy Gums?

Designed by a holistic veterinarian, Healthy Gums is a potent infused herbal product with added nutrients for gum and oral health of felines: Coenzyme Q10, Vitamin C and Zinc. It does not contain alcohol or harsh ingredients that can cause further irritation of the gums.

The base of this product is medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. Unlike regular coconut oil, this oil remains in a liquid state at room temperature. This oil is known for its incredible ability to keep skin tissue healthy and provide nutrition to the layers of the skin. Furthermore, it helps to maintain the natural immunity of the tissues, assisting the skin's barrier capability.

What is Healthy Gums used for?

Periodontal health is something every cat owner needs to be aware of once their pet reaches age 2 to 3. Multiple factors determine oral health status and these will become more critical as your feline ages. In particular, consider the type of diet your cat eats (including treats) and anything else your pet chews.

Early and advanced stages of gingivitis are both reversible.
The bacteria in the mouth (which builds up between the teeth and gums) will cause bad breath (not regular "kitty breath"), and this is a first clue. Additionally, the gums may appear red, inflamed and sore. Touching the gums may cause them to bleed and exude pus. If your cat is having these symptoms, it is of utmost importance to treat and reverse the problem. If the condition advances, it can lead to periodontis, a disease in which the supportive structures around the teeth become inflamed, leading to more infection and eventually loss of the teeth. The infection can become systemic and travel to other areas of the body.

Healthy Gums is designed to:

• Soothe gums and oral membranes
  • Reduce bacterial growth in the mouth
Use Healthy Gums at any stage or sign of gum inflammation or any oral inflammation. As a preventative measure, use Healthy Gums intermittently to keep the oral environment balanced and resistant to bacterial growth.

Ingredients:
  • Calendula flower (Calendula officinalis)*: The pretty, yellow-orange petals of Calendula flowers have shown antibacterial and antiviral activity. Use to support normal healing of the skin, Calendula also soothes inflamed skin and has been used for gingivitis.
  • Marshmallow root (Althea officinale)*: The tissues of the mouth and gums are covered in a delicate layer of skin. Extracted Marshmallow root soothes this soft skin when inflamed or red and hastens the healing of those tissues. Marshmallow is high in mucilage content, a constituent that protects mucous membranes from irritation.
  • Goldenseal root (Hydrastis canadensis)*: Goldenseal is strongly indicated to help maintain a healthy immune function throughout the body. It has been shown to have a direct affect on bacteria and viruses. and by many herbalists, is considered an essential anti-microbial in their dispensary for stubborn immune conditions. We use only cultivated Goldenseal, so as not to threaten this endangered species in the wild.
  • Bayberry root bark (Myrica cerifera)**: Bayberry is one of the best herbal astringents, meaning that it tones and tightens smooth membranes. It works particularly well for treating the skin throughout the alimentary canal (which includes the tissues inside the mouth and the gums) and has a mild antibacterial property.
  • Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis)†: Baikal Skullcap, high in flavonoids, has shown antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Oral preparations are used to reduce inflammation of the membranes inside the mouth.
  • Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra)*: Also called "sweet root" and the "universal herb", Licorice demonstrates an antibacterial and antiviral affect. Licorice also has a mildly demulcent quality and a natural sweetness.
  • Prickly Ash bark (Zanthoxylum americanum)**: Used in Native American medicine, the bark of this tree has been called "toothache bark" and possesses astringent qualities.
  • Coptis root (Coptis chinensis)†: An herb high in berberine, Coptis is considered to have similar properties to Goldenseal. It has particular application with ulceration of mucous membranes.
  • Myrrh gum (Commiphora mol-mol)†: One of the most well used herbal antiseptics, Myrrh has bacteriostatic and astringent qualities that make it ideal for oral health.
...183mg per ml (20 drops/ml)

• Coenzyme Q10.....................................30mg
  • Ascorbyl palmitate (Vitamin C)...........10mg
  • Zinc oxide.............................................0.75mg
Inactive Ingredients: Medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use a gel or a natural water additive for oral care?
I am trying to find something that is easier than brushing. I don't think he will allow it, AT ALL! I do LOVE the CET treats as well. Not sure if they help or not.
Thanks in advance.
Raw chicken or turkey gizzards as treats does the trick.