Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be okay, ferals just don't like being picked up or told what to do. They have a mind of their own. Just talk to them a lot. Once they start learning words, they can understand more about what is happening to them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is ok. You had to do it.

Make sure there is food and water and a litter box that is easily accessible. If you have to put a litter box in the bathtub that is fine for now. Just in the bathroom as well. Ideally I would like her to come into the bedroom though.

Try to keep the camera in place so as to see her movements.

Just give her space. Just to decompress. Use some good food in a little bit to help her get over it. Try not to make any movements towards her (other than giving food) and try not to stare at her. You can give eye kisses if you feel like you can safely do it. But for now I would just give her space.

Very good job blocking that area off. Make sure that it extends over the edges so she can see there is no way she can go up there.

How is she acting? Does she seem at all lethargic? Or did she seem to have energy? It is normal for some cats to "freeze" when scared.

Panda is understandably upset but he will be fine. Again use food to just help him calm down and make a positive association. Cats respond to love and kindness and good food so I am sure they will be fine in time.

Our number 1 goal is Sandy's health then we can socialize once we know she is ok (eating, drinking using the litter). Please monitor her energy etc to make sure she is doing ok.

Did you see any evidence of anything above the cabinet? If not, I am guessing she did come down and used the litter box either when you were gone or at night. Did she drink at all when she was up there?

Hang in there, I know this is stressful and traumatic for you but you are doing everything right and you will see results in time. Your are the right person to succeed in this I have no doubt. Just try to stay as calm and confident around them s possible. Move normally.

I deal with ferals all the time and they are resilient. Good food is the best way to get them to come around. I use warm chicken thigh meat to really get them to build trust and confidence. A cat tree might be really helpful for sandy. She seems to feel safe higher (which is very common). Putting it in a safe place away from the cats and with a litter box near is a good idea.

If you have any additional updates please let us know. Panda will come around first and he is going to be a big help in showing Sandy that she will be safe and fine. They have a great home and they will realize that. It is just a process and sometimes takes a little longer than we expect.

Keep up the great work and THANK YOU SO MUCH for all you are doing for them!!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, did you put her in the bathtub or did she go into it? How was she sitting or crouching in it? Were her ears back? Her eyes dilated? Her tail puffed up?

Did she pee when you removed her?

Also, how much of a fight did she put up? Did she try to bite? A lot of hissing? Was it about what you expected or worse or not as bad as you feared getting her down?

How are they acting now that some time has passed? Have they eaten? How is their body language?

I am not at all worried that they will get over this. They will.

Edwards62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand that taking in Ferals after their socialization period is typically not a good idea.

These two kittens were apart of a litter that frequently visited my office. Generally we left food for them on the patio. They at first would not eat when we were around, eventually they would eat so long as we kept our distance, and finally they even came inside the office to eat so long as we didn't try to approach them, if we did they would dart.

Their mother went missing and the neighboring offices started having alot of complaints about the cats (there were more than just these two) and we were off a busy street that claimed the life of one cat. The neighbors called the humane society who attempted to trap them and failed on the first attempt.

My time at that office came to an end and those cats were used to coming there to eat, except noone would be there after I left, or worse someone would end up calling the humane society on them again...so I managed to trap them inside the office while they were eating and caught them both.

Of course, not having any real human exposure, they were NOT happy to see me...and I knew I was taking a huge risk attempting to handle them as despite their small size, they could really hurt me if they tried to. Usually my getting close to either of them results in a hiss or a batting paw of which I back off. I normally don't go near them unless I need to.

Its only been maybe 4 days at most since Ive caught them so I dont expect them to turn around very quickly, for the most part even in that short time I they learned how to use the litter box and as long as I approach very slow and cautiously, with food... they typically won't hiss. I guess in a way Im just hoping that there is hope in still socializing them even if it takes some time and patience. Anything you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.
****First thank you SO MUCH for helping them. I have been rescuing farels for over 30yrs. It is good they are kittens. The next time you give them food just sit in the room. I would take a book with me and read. Cats,especially kittens, are profoundly curious. Keep going into the room. If its not feeding time bring them a treat. Let them hear your voice and always speak very softly. Start to bring a toy that you can throw in front of you and the slowly pull back to you. I tied a very large knot at the end of some yarn and just slowly pulled it back to me. Over time they will start to play. They may even crawl on you. Do not try to pet them until they show signs of affection. Such as licking your hand or rubbing up against you. It does take time but it is so worth it. Farel cats make AMAZING pets and the bond they develop with you is much greater than buying one at a store. PLEASE feel free to message me.
My email is [email protected]

Edwards62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
****First thank you SO MUCH for helping them. I have been rescuing farels for over 30yrs. It is good they are kittens. The next time you give them food just sit in the room. I would take a book with me and read. Cats,especially kittens, are profoundly curious. Keep going into the room. If its not feeding time bring them a treat. Let them hear your voice and always speak very softly. Start to bring a toy that you can throw in front of you and the slowly pull back to you. I tied a very large knot at the end of some yarn and just slowly pulled it back to me. Over time they will start to play. They may even crawl on you. Do not try to pet them until they show signs of affection. Such as licking your hand or rubbing up against you. It does take time but it is so worth it. Farel cats make AMAZING pets and the bond they develop with you is much greater than buying one at a store. PLEASE feel free to message me.
My email is [email protected]
20190606_190405.jpg

Edwards62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my Merlin. He was another farel rescue. As you can see he has adapted very well. He loves to just 'flopp' on my lap and curles up in my arms. He just lays in my arms with his paws wrapped around them and sleeps. He still has his moments and I have to watch him with some of my other cats. He doesnt seem to know his strength. But as soon as I say NO re responds. Then follows the tiniest meow you could ever imagine would come out of such a big cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Sandy has stayed down, usually hiding in the Kennel, or in the bathroom.

Both seem to be using the litterbox. I went ahead and put a lid over the box to test to see if they would still use it and they still do. I'm still using training litter - unscented - until I'm comfortable that they'll continue to use it.

Panda was pissed for awhile and hiding and or hissing at me when I pass by or enter my room but I mainly just ignore him. I've been putting the food pretty close to them and usually both will trust me enough to not swat at me as long as I'm slow and cautious about placing it. Mainly I've been doing that so they can see that I'm providing for them in hopes to help loosen them up alittle more.

Tonight was interesting. I played some soft cat music on youtube in my room to help relax them...and went to bed on my back. I fell asleep at about midnight. At about 3am I woke up but didn't immediately move. I found Sandy was out of her hiding place and peeping around the bathroom, and Panda.. ..was playing with my shoes. I didn't do or say anything, I just watched him silently for a bit while he clawed and grinded them with his hind legs and pulled on the shoe strings while listening to the still playing calming music, in a sense it was beautiful to see this. I then quietly whispered his name and he perked up and looked at me and stared for a moment. I just slowly blinked my eyes at him and he looked for a moment and nervously walked toward my bathroom and hid from behind a corner in there and looked at me. I mainly pretended not to be influenced by his gaze and rolled on my back in the most relaxed position I could find and turned back and looked at him and slowly blinked my eyes at him... he seemed to 'slightly' relax alittle bit as he looked like he felt less threatened but still fixed his stare on me... then I pulled out the laser pen... his little face quickly twitched toward the red dot and he just watched it. Eventually that led to him curiously pawing at it, not intensly, but just enough to show he was interested... Then I moved it to the wall and he followed it and began batting and pouncing up the wall trying to get it, over time he seemed less and less interested and returned his attention to me and mainly sat still. I just slowly blinked my eyes at him and maintained as calm of a position as I could. Finally he ended up hiding along with Sandy. When I got up for some water he remained there and basically just stared at me - not exactly with aggression or fear but just a fixed gaze. He didnt hiss and I had to come fairly close to him. Eventually he did scurry off to the Kennel and has been coming in and out here and there.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful! Try saying "dinner" every time you set down their food. And teach them their names. My 2 ferals learned dinner and their names within the first few days. They are so smart, they know at least 20 words.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great on Sandy. That is fine and normal. Where is she hanging out in the bathroom? You may want to get a really comfy "hideaway" for her to see if that is something she may like. She isn't going on a cat tree? If you can get a tall one for her for your bedroom that might be something to help her get more confidence.

GREAT on using the litter box. Their instinct is to cover their scent so it is instinctive BUT it also tells me that she must not feel too territorially insecure which is really good. It also helps me feel like she will not have any health issues from not going when she needs to. I feel great to hear this!!!!

Yes, Panda's behavior is totally normal. EXCELLENT to just ignore him and act like everything is cool. Calm and confident. He will realize you are not a threat and bring good things. Get that positive association. WELL DONE!!!!

AWESOME!!! That is FANTASTIC!!! Play is one of the best ways to build confidence. Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat. Stuff they need to do in the wild (then after eating - grooming and sleep). That successful survival hunting instinct is a big way to build confidence. This will be a key part in our quest in building their confidence. It does take time as unusual fast movements (needed for play) can be offsetting to a cat (cats don't like change so any change is disconcerting for a spell) but once they get in that hunting mode they are all in typically.

It is totally normal to go back to "homebase' for that security. That is "their territory" and they "own" it. So what we will do in time going forward is to build that territorial ownership using play, cat trees, scratching posts, food, love. A confident territorial secure cat tends to accept others much better.

It is a process but you are doing GREAT!!!

Just take it slow, don't force anything on them. Keep using food, stay calm and confident around them, if possible add a cat tree and some scratching posts and some comfy places to sleep/hang out for them to come out of the kennel and own more territory. Keep the other cats away for now (we'll start to do an intro at the appropriate time).

Great work!!! Keep up the great work and please feel free to update us and ask anything anytime. What I read here was better than what I expected to be honest so I am really pleased at the update.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First time I've seen him sleeping outside in the open today:
20190706_141059.jpg

A few pictures from earlier this morning:
20190706_121932.jpg

20190706_121940.jpg

20190706_122034.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWESOME!!! He looks like he got over it really quickly which is great.

I am not at all worried about his future. He is going to be great.

I am hoping Sandy sees how he can move around etc and start to get more confidence to follow his lead. He is going to be a huge part of helping Sandy feel more comfortable.

He is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!

He knows he hit the jackpot in this new home!!! WELL DONE!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Late yesterday I heard Panda coughing, kind of like hacking / coughing. He did it repeatedly for about a minute, no hairball came out. Then tonight I was awoken by him doing it again. I'm concerned he may have bronchitis... usually vets prescribe inhalers for that and that's going to be absolutely fun (sarcasm) to treat on a feral cat that isnt used to human interaction.

Any recommendations?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try hairball paste or treats, see if that stops it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it have been an inverted sneeze?

Sometimes they can try to get a hairball out and it doesn't come out right away as well. So it is possible it was that as well.

Does he groom a lot? Is he shedding a fair amount right now?

I would give the vet a call and describe it and see what the vet suggests. I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions yet. Keep monitoring to see if it continues and see if a vet visit is needed (if it does continue) but I would give the vet a call for suggestions if it is hairball related.

Please keep us updated.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I managed to get some play from Panda:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome.

When you do play make the toy move like a bird or a mouse or a rabbit would. Those halting movements, the hopping, the flying past, off the ground and up. Fast movement then a pause. Around corners. Try to think like what prey would do. Once a cat locks on the prey it is go time. Then get them going then let them "kill" it. Then rest or treat. Then repeat.

Some cats like ground animals and some like birds (aerial) so try eat method. And peak their interest by getting the "prey" to go around corners and potentially hide then pop out.

After the play session feed treats or a meal. It replicates the "Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat" world of being a cat outdoors. Builds a lot of confidence. King of the jungle stuff.

Keep up the great work. Panda is doing great and play will be a big part of getting him even more confidence.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Panda is getting a bit more playful. Sandy not so much but when Panda comes out I can usually get him to pounce on the wand as long as I'm far enough away. He seems to enjoy going behind the cat tree and making surprise pounces on it. I can also get alittle closer to him without him hissing. Sandy is still pretty much hiding in the Kennel. Once in awhile I will spot her walking to and from the bathroom. I'm guessing for now I just leave them both alone and continue playing with Panda when possible?

Meanwhile I decided to share a Baxter moment:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!! You are doing a great job!!!

Getting Panda to play and pounce is fantastic. Great cat hunting behavior. Stalking (hunting), pouncing (killing). That builds great confidence. After that play session feed either treats or a meal. Then he'll probably groom and go to sleep. Really replicates the natural survival instinct and builds confidence. Awesome!! Panda is doing great. Keep up the great work!!!

Try not to be above him when playing etc. If you are feeding try to get as low as possible approaching him from low. And if you just sit on the floor when he eats and just look anywhere but at him that is usually good.

It is fine and understandable Sandy is still in the crate. At least she is coming out when you are around. That is a very nice sign. She'll continue to build that confidence on her terms. Makes sure you have a cat tree for them. If you can position that cat tree by an outside window to watch the wildlife etc that is good. BUT make sure the cat tree is stable and not at risk of tipping over or knocking into the window etc. Also, try to get some comfy bedding etc that might entice Sandy to come out and hang around out of the kennel.

I guarantee Sandy is watching Panda and seeing what he can do etc. Panda is going to be a big part of helping Sandy feel more comfortable and confident so the more Panda is the more it will help Sandy.

Yes, just keep up what you are doing. No need to force the issue for now. You may want to sit by the kennel (if you can feel like you can do it safely) while Sandy is in there. Just not looking at her but showing her you are not a threat. Maybe talk calm and confidently to her. Maybe read a book out loud. Just to show her you are no threat. Just don't look at her and don't make any movements towards her.

Other than that just keep up what you are doing and please update us on progress and ask anything anytime.

Awesome video on Baxter!! Cats definitely respond to love (emotions) so the love you have for Baxter (and the others) will definitely be very good for Panda (which we are already seeing) and Sandy. Cats take on our emotions so that love and confidence towards the cats tends to be so beneficial for them to feel more safe and secure with the human.

GREAT WORK!!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So there is some progress with Panda. He is hissing at me ALOT less, although he still will occasionally if I get to close. When I approach him I get low, usually on the floor and inch my way up to him and toss him a few treats, he seems to take okay to that. Sandy I can approach but cant get too close to. Panda is coming out more often and walking around my bedroom even while I'm inside of it. I don't bother him while he's out walking because I don't want to scare him so I'm usually trying to pretend I don't notice him although at times thats hard. He's also more playful. When I originally got him a catnip ball he completely ignored it but now I've seen him pouncing and rolling around with it. He also plays more with the wand. Sandy on the other hand, still no play out of her and she doesn't come out when I'm around.

Just dead curious, when will I know that its okay to touch Panda? or how should I approach that in general?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT!! When you approach him you are doing great. Remember to act as calm and confident and normal as possible since cats can sense our emotions and sense when we are acting "differently". So just be yourself. You are doing great.

Yes, when he is out just be yourself and do your thing with him exploring and walking around. Again, you are doing the exact right thing. The more he sees you are not a threat and bring good things the more trust will be built up. BUT you already have a lot of trust between you. Which is great.

I love that he is getting more playful. That is a good sign of his gaining more confidence AND it helps him build more confidence and territorial ownership. Fantastic.

Sandy is going to be a bit more work. Just sit by her, talk, show her that you are not a threat. Be calm and confident around her. Don't look at her yet or you can give her "eye kisses" (Closing your eyes slowing and keeping them closed and then opening slowly to show her you trust her). Give her good food or treats. Something that is really attractive to her. Don't stand over her or reach towards her. Just be yourself and normal but you can sit on the floor by her and just let her get use to you.

Is Sandy exploring at night at all? Eating well and using the litter box normally?

I think Sandy will be watching how Panda reacts so the more confident Panda is that will be helpful for Sandy to get more comfortable. Given how she was in the wild it is not surprising that she is more subdued. BUT cats do respond to love and you obviously have a lot of love for cats so though it may take come time I am highly confident Sandy will come around.

On touching Panda. Let him initiate contact first. At some point he is going to want to rub on you. He'll probably be really cautious but he will try to rub on your legs. It will probably be a process and he will make some false starts in rubbing but he will do it. That will be his way of "owning" you. So we want to wait for Panda to initiate the contact. Then at some point down the road when you are sitting down (on the floor or whatever) you may want to just put your hand down (close to your body) and let him initiate contact with you hand. He will show you when it is time to give him a pet. And at that time we always want to approach from below the cat and take it slowly. Not move the hand to much etc. You'll see his response. But just take it slowly. We don't want to rush things.

Just post the updates and we'll help you with the interpretation and the next steps.

Keep up the great work. You are doing fantastically.