Took in another stray but she's positive for FCoV antibodies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The other conundrum is that IF your cats are not currently shedding the virus, would that also come across as a cat who has never been infected before? In other words, how can one actually tell if a cat has previously been infected if the tests rely on shedders vs. non-shedders???? And, to your point, can a non-shedding cat that tests negative actually be 're-infected' to cause shedding?

I am sorry for throwing so many speculations at you, but you seem to have the ear of some who appear to be 'in the know'.
That's a very good question, and one I currently don't have an answer for. It's one of the things I hope to find out tomorrow from the vet friend of my doctor friend who said he will look into this, and what kind of testing we should to to cover everyone.

It seems likely they can be reinfected if they manage to clear the virus. There are differing views on the percentage of cats that become chronic shedders, but most studies and research papers I've read are somewhere around 13-15 percent. Many researchers are now actually saying maybe intermittent shedding isn't a thing, but rather a consequence of reinfection. Although other studies have shown cats to shed on day one, not on day two, then again on day three. So there are again differing views.

To the other questions, mine were tested for antibodies via blood test to see if they'd come in contact with it before. This is another thing I'm hoping to get more insight into from that vet friend, as they've been indoor cats for years now, so I'm wondering how meaningful an antibody test can really be in that case.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just as a sidenote and nothing more. My first cat died of what was presumed to be wet FIP.

I had another kitten in my house in less than 24 hours - a surprise 'gift' from a still to this day unknown friend. She was never tested - because this all happened in 1992 - and so little was known back then. She did die at 12yo, from what was presumed to be cancer - and nothing like dry or wet FIP.

I am just saying that if she were exposed to FCoV from my first cat - because I did not know any precautions to take to clear the environment, including sanitation of litter boxes and food/water dishes, it appears that if she caught it, at least it never mutated to FIP. Like I said, nothing more than a sidenote.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just as a sidenote and nothing more. My first cat died of what was presumed to be wet FIP.

I had another kitten in my house in less than 24 hours - a surprise 'gift' from a still to this day unknown friend. She was never tested - because this all happened in 1992 - and so little was known back then. She did die at 12yo, from what was presumed to be cancer - and nothing like dry or wet FIP.

I am just saying that if she were exposed to FCoV from my first cat - because I did not know any precautions to take to clear the environment, including sanitation of litter boxes and food/water dishes, it appears that if she caught it, at least it never mutated to FIP. Like I said, nothing more than a sidenote.
I'm so sorry that happened to your cat, and it must have been terrible for you 😔

Thank you for the input. I'm actually torn between giving her the meds and then somewhat chancing it, or just leaving her be and just chancing it. The probability is quite low - but if anything did happen I would never be able to forgive myself if I took the risk knowingly.

When I took in my second cat, I had him tested for fiv and felv because those were the ones I knew about. I didn't know anything about fcov and fip, and nobody at the clinic he had surgery at after I trapped him (he was wounded on the street somehow) told me I should add this to the list as well. So for all I know I may have already exposed first cat and they both cleared it or it isn't showing on tests for some other reason.

Hard to know with this elusive, not so widely studied virus. There are so many unknowns.

This morning I helped my partner put her in the carrier to take her to his apartment where he works. I'm starting to feel like she doesn't trust me at all anymore, it's like every time she lets down her guard and lets me pet her, I just grab her and put her in a box. It breaks my heart to see her like this and I'm starting to feel like maybe I should have just left her on the street where I found her rather than put her through all this.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update in case anyone will still see this. We decided to go with a non profit organisation from the north (well, central Italy, but for us in Sicily everything north of Naples is the north 😂).

They got us the meds from abroad and we finally started giving them to her four days ago. She takes them without a fuss (well hidden in treats of course) and she is not showing any side effects or anything (although the studies noted no side effects so I wasn't expecting any, but we're still monitoring her very closely during the treatment).

I'll soon have her feces tested and see if it worked. The studies again were super successful so I'm trying to stay optimistic as there is nothing to suggest it wouldnt work. It just feels a bit weird because I didn't go to the pharmacy and get meds my doc prescribed, but procured them through non profit orgs from a different country so I'm a bit worried although they've helped so many cats so it must be working..)

Anyways I'll update again once we have news, but she's a bit more settled, she eats plays and sleeps near my partner now although she is still acting shy and hiding if you try to approach her. Leave her alone or ignore her she will climb on you and demand belly rubs and fall asleep belly up on your lap. So it doesn't seem to be a trust issue when she hides? She doesn't seem to like it when you talk to her, look at her or offer your hand for her to sniff - anything that would qualify as you initiating contact. But she'll come meowing after one minute if you sit down without paying attention to her. And then she is the sweetest cuddliest clingiest cat I've ever met!

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update here: post treatment, she's had two tests PCR and both were negative. So it seems it really did work and we're ecstatic, both for her and well for us because we can't imagine giving her up for adoption anymore. Nobody wants her anyway apparently but well that's a moo point now. She's been with my boyfriend 3 months now. We're looking to bring her to mine soon and go for very slow introductions with the other two. (She can't stay at his long term for various reasons)

Tldr did a 10 day course of oral GS and her feces have been tested twice using PCR since,both negative.

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats are exposed to feline coronavirus, but only some cats have it mutate inside their bodies to the fatal condition (FIP). NO researchers have figured out why some cats get FIP. I think FIP must be much more common than it's widely said to be. I lost a kitten to FIP, then a year later, lost 2 sibling kittens to it also. All of my other cats were exposed to the FIP kittens and none of them have ever developed FIP. The kittens got sick and died just a few days after diagnosis. They stopped eating, and when the vet x rayed them, she could see large amounts of fluid in their chest/abdomen that indicated FIP. Being positive for exposure to feline coronavius does NOT mean that your little stray will develop FIP. Keeping her separate from your other cats is a good idea until you are sure she doesn't have anything else transmissible.