Took In A Stray Cat Recently, Feeling Stressed, Possible Depression, Having Adopter's Remorse

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologise in advance, but it is a long story. But I need to get this out of my system, and I need advice.

I'm from Singapore, and for about a year, I've been feeding and caring for stray cats in our neighbourhood. The stray cats in Singapore are usually sociable with humans, especially with people who feed them. We don't really have cats that are truly feral. One of them whom I call Crooktail is really affectionate and touched my heart. She doesn't like other cats, and lives by herself in the bushes along my way to and from work. Whenever my mum and I pass by, she'd jump out of the bushes, meow happily and run to us.

Here is a video of her doing it.

She'd also sit on my lap on one of the nearby benches. I caught her to take her to the vet for sterilisation and post-surgery boarding, and I thought she'd hate me for that, but we were quickly good friends again. Very recently, it's been the rainy season, and when my mum and I went to feed her, there was a huge downpour. All 3 of us took shelter in the covered area near her bush, and she spent about 2 hours taking turns to sit on our laps.

Look at that face. She's an absolute sweetie.

I think that was what made up my mind to bring her home. I spent weeks making preparations, installed screens on our windows so she can't jump out, bought scratch posts, toys, made appointment with the vet etc.

I live in a small apartment in a high-rise building. Most people in Singapore do. If I adopt her, she must strictly be an indoor cat. I think that's where the problem lies.

Last Saturday, I caught her and brought her to the vet for de-worming, flea removal and a blood test. Vet wasn't sure what her actual age was, but he figured that she's about 5 years old. Which means she might have been living in the outdoors for about that amount of time.

I brought her home, and she adapted remarkably well in the first couple of days. I confined her in our toilet with her litterbox, food, water, scratch posts and stuff. She learnt to use the litterbox and there's been no "accidents". I originally expected to have to confine her for a week, but as she was so well-behaved, by Sunday, she's been having free access to practically all of our house.

She seemed happy enough at first. She played, she ate, she let us pet her and pick her up, she uses the toys and cat cave I give her, she rolls at my feet, she makes satisfied faces like this...

Then from 2 days ago, I think it might have finally occurred to her that this was no temporary arrangement. And she started to behave in a standoffish manner and would bat at us when we try to pet her. She still does her leg rubs sometimes, and will lie around and blink at us. Sometimes she'll come and sit in the same room with me, or lie on my bed (not with me. She did come sleep beside me during her 2nd night, but not anymore) but on the whole, I get the feeling that she is grouchy. She is not the affectionate cheerful cat who runs to me in the mornings for food. She doesn't like to play as much (will try to remedy this by getting more toys and catnip spray) and when she does, she seems... frighteningly aggressive, like she has a lot of pent-up frustration. And I don't know what to do. I want to comfort her, but I think I'm irritating her more when I try to play with her or pet her.

I understand that this change in environment is very drastic and stressful for her. She used to have a very wide area to roam in the open. She had birds, rats, frogs to chase. She had tall trees to climb. And now she's just in this sterile little space with very alien furniture. Even when I play with her, there is very limited space for her to run. A friend of mine adopted a stray male cat. She's one of the minority who lives in a large 3-storey house with a garden. She tried to keep the cat indoors and he didn't take it well and peed everywhere, so she is now resigned to letting him roam the garden and beyond as an indoor/outdoor cat. Sadly I don't even have that option. Comparatively, Crooktail has been very civil, and I should be grateful for that and give her more time.

I probably wouldn't be having 2nd thoughts about the adoption if not for the following:

I have always been a worrywart, and have mild anxiety. And since adopting her, I have been extremely stressed and might have developed full-blown anxiety. I have been unable to concentrate on my work or the things I used to enjoy. I've lost my appetite. My mind runs wild with worries. I'm not one who cries easily, but I have just been breaking out into tears at random times of the day. It is ironic, that back when she was an outdoor cat, I didn't worry for her even half as much, except for when the rain was really heavy or on the rare occasions when she didn't turn up for her meal.

I observed, from her stools, that she might have the beginnings of constipation. Her stools are mostly large, solid and easy to pick up, but there are also a few small round pieces. I'm trying to get her on wet food. When she was living outdoors, she eats everything I offer in one go, and sometimes wants 2nd helpings. We feed kibble to stray cats predominantly but once in a while, I'll give wet food as a treat. Everything I feed her at home is stuff that she has eaten and liked when she was outdoors. Since she started living in my house, she only eats kibble, and mostly ignores wet food, at most licking, or taking a couple of bites. She also does not down her food as heartily as before, taking the whole day to slowly finish her share of kibble for the day. I might get a pet fountain to try to entice her to drink water but I fear it will not be effective. The fact that she might get constipated is worrying me endlessly. I know it might sound heartless, but if she lived outdoors, I wouldn't be checking her stools everyday, I wouldn't be fretting when her stools aren't perfect, I would be blissfully unaware.

The blood test at the vet revealed that she is mostly in normal health, but her ALT values are slightly higher than normal at 186. He prescribed 3 weeks of Zentonil and asked that I bring her back for a follow-up appointment and do another test. First of all, i have not been able to feed the medicine to Crooktail. She will not eat it even when I try to disguise it with food. I am planning to get a pill masker to mask the taste of the medicine, but I'll have to order that online so that'll take a few days. Secondly, I feel that it will not be possible for me to take her to the vet within such a short period of time without upsetting her.

I know that pet ownership is a huge commitment, and visits to the vet and the relevant fees are to be expected. But sometimes, you really only truly understand the consequences when you have a personal encounter with it, like in this case. The vet's recommendation of a follow-up visit got me thinking: What if she has an illness that requires constant medication and vet visit? I may not be able to afford the money, time and energy to take her. My own parents are elderly, and I figure that years down the road, I'll become their main caregiver. Will I be able to spare the effort for Crooktail when she too becomes old and ill?

Another issue is, I have now been sleeping later and waking up earlier than before due to the new chores of litterbox cleaning, sorting out her meals for the next day, trying to get Crooktail to eat and play. I am too tired to do the other things I enjoy, and I have neglected feeding the other stray cats, which I feel terribly guilty about.

I have given a lot of selfish reasons, but I'd have tolerated it all if Crooktail was happier with her new house. If Crooktail is unhappy, I find it quite meaningless to put both of us through all this misery. My mum has been positive about all this, bless her. She keeps saying to give Crooktail more time to adapt. And I'd love to do that, but I fear that eventually if it doesn't work out and I really have to put her back, it would be too late and another cat would have staked claim on her territory.

If I put her back, I'd continue to feed her and set out water for her everyday. The environment here honestly isn't bad for stray cats compared to other countries. Aside from the occasional python and cat hater, weather conditions aren't harsh, no danger of traffic accidents as there's no traffic/cars near my neighbourhood. Many stray cats get to live till quite old, and even if they don't live as long as pet cats, at least they have freedom and enjoyment of the outdoors. Even local animal welfare groups recommend leaving stray cats where they are (why didn't I listen to them?) Yes, you can see, I'm trying to justify my possible decision of putting her back, but I'd really hate to do this as I would feel like I failed her. It would break my heart to think that she could have slept in the warm cat cave I got her, but because of my weakness, she has to sleep out there in the bushes while it pours. I don't know what to do. I never expected to feel miserable when I adopt her, but I do now. I'm supposed to be working now, but I'm just crying while typing all this up. I feel like it may be kinder on both of us to let go now? Please tell me what you'd do if you're in my shoes.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello kurocatlady kurocatlady , welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for taking Crooktail to the vet to get her vaccinated and spayed and have a medical and also for giving her a fur-ever warm and loving home. Bless your heart.

Thank goodness that her health report is pretty good. At this moment, she is still getting use to the surroundings, sights and sounds. Yes, she’s been living in the outdoors for a certain time and now is the transition period for her. I believe that she is not a feral but a stray and that’s why when she’s outdoor, she runs to you A feral will never do that. She could have been a abandoned by the previous owners.
I do agree with your mum, give her time to adjust. Getting her to be an indoor cat is definitely a thousand times of her being an outdoor cat to face the elements and cat haters.

It’s good that she’s using the litter box and eating though you said she slowed down in her eating. It’s ok if she’s still eating, using the litter box and drinking.

As for the food, you can give her a mix of wet and leave some dry while you are at work. For the litter box, you can do it once a day and once you get the hang of it, it should be a breeze.

For play time, play with her for 15 mins and take a rest and play once again and feed her wet food to see if she eats before bed time.

For the medications, you can try to mix it with the wet food. But just don’t give too much of the medicine and food at one go. Else if she doesn’t eat, the medication will be wasted. If it’s a pill form, smash it to powder form and mix it with some tuna for cats.

She needs time to adjust. Let her settle down more and tackle her step by step. Slowly let her stake her claim of the house and you and your parents.

Here are some articles for you to read :-
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide
How Much Time Does It Take To Care For A Cat?
How Often Should You Clean The Litter Box?
How To Set Up An Effective Litterbox Maintenance Routine
First-time Cat Owner's Guide
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know
Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home
How And Why Do Cats Play?

I may have missed out some of your questions, but please feel free to ask questions if you have any and we are here to help.

BTW, Crooktail is gorgeous :lovecat::lovecat4:

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for getting her checked and fixed. You've done a lot that other people wouldn't and I think you need to give yourself some credit.

You mentioned your anxiety and, somehow, I'd already guessed that before reading it. I have anxiety too and have expierenced very similar feelings of guilt about not letting my Persian cat go out. This is a cat who's been indoors her entire life so your feelings aren't exclusive to your situation, however they are more valid and justified than mine were.

I found compromises with my anxiety. I take my cat for walks and got her used to going with me to my mum's house. I also plan to get a second cat and enclose my garden, once I have one. I play with her daily to drain her energy, hung up a bird feeder outside and have cat trees and shelves and sometimes feed with puzzle toys. I can't do more than my best. You may not be able to do all of these things, but there is plenty you can still try.

I believe keeping cats indoors does require more of your time than outdoor cats. You need to be creative and offer different activities, have to make sure their bodies are drained of energy daily, and have to find ways for them to feel mentally satisfied as well.

I have to be honest I don't know what the right choice is in your situation. From what I read I don't get a definite feeling of "OH she should definitely stay in" or "OH she should definitely go back outside". But what I do get a definitive feeling about is that she sounds like she has a lot of pent up energy, and you need to get that out of her body. Daily. Get a wand toy, a laser pointer, offer fresh catnip once a week. Exhaust her and see how she's doing after that before you decide to put her back.

Lastly I think you should give yourself a clear plan. I've learned (from therapy) that it helps a lot with anxiety. For example: You decide to give things another X amount of time. In this time you don't worry, you don't pine and ponder. You just give things an honest chance without self-sabotaging with anxiety. After this amount of time you make the choice. Does she go back or does she stay?

Don't worry about things like "In the future I might have to care for my parents and also this cat". That is just your mind running wild. There are always ways to make things work, especially once the both of you are used to living alongside eachother. That doesn't just happen overnight, you're both still getting used to eachother.

Tried my best to be genuine and give you honest advice, because I know how awful it is living with daily anxiety to the point of crying and having no appetite - as you described. So yeah. Hope that helped in one way or another. The best of luck to the both of you. She has a gorgeous face and looks like she loves being around humans.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all you have done for her! She is a beauty, too! The first thing I would do is stop trying to put meds in her food. That just might turn her off to the food. Use a pill-popper or just put it in her mouth and use the "blow air into nose and stroke throat" method (this is what I do). Better yet, ask vet if you can hold off on meds until she is more acclimated. Meds might make her nauseous, anxious, etc. Just until she gets better acclimated. Also, you need to give her more time. She has not been inside very long and she lived outdoors a long time. It sounds like she did very well the first few days, so I really do think she will be okay. In addition, you need to be kinder to yourself - you have done so much for her, and if you want to let her back out, so be it. You don't need to feel guilty, you have done much to help her, plus she lived outside for 5 years. But if you do decide to keep her in, I think ultimately, you will find she actually reduces your anxiety and she will be your sweet baby. Lastly, I know it's really hard in an apartment! So much harder than in a large house with a yard, etc. I currently have 3 cats in an apartment and will be taking in a fourth, so I do understand. Whatever you decide, it's going to be okay and you have done so much for her that you need to rest easy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for your inputs. I'm still having a hard time making up my mind :(

Putting Crooktail back would be kinder on my emotional well-being at this point of time, but it'll make me immensely guilty towards her. She's had such a safe home for a week and then suddenly she has to go back to being exposed to the elements and watching her back all the time while trying to sleep. She is a very sweet cat and has not given trouble. She has also been more affectionate to me over the weekend, perhaps because I've been in all day.

Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk with my mum, talked to her, cried my eyes out. I actually made up my mind to put her back, and I felt a deep sense of relief. But then while I was sitting on my bed crying at home, Crooktail just jumped up on my bed and curled up beside me, and that made me feel so bad and retract my decision. I would have had a much easier time deciding if she just wrecks the house or something.

I play with her about 15 minutes at night, and I've stopped leaving my room door open and also given her about enough kibble to last the night. I haven't been kept awake by her mewing, though I must say that this dilemma of keeping her or not is the one that's making me wake up at random hours of the night.

The main problem I have with her now is her diet. I haven't given her the medicine at all, but she's still being very picky with her food. I'm trying to give her canned food. I tried feeding her Wellness Core, she only took a few licks and couple of bites. She only wants to eat the Science Diet kibble that I used to feed her when she's outside. I've tried leaving out the canned food with some kibble on top. She won't take it. She also doesn't seem interested in treats. She just wants Science Diet kibble. And even then, she's not eating a lot. It's making me crazy with worry. I'm so worried that if this goes on she'll have UTI or constipation or some other chronic problem down the road and I won't be able to afford the cost and time to help her.

And then I've been reading up about other things like dental care and claw trimming. I'm not a patient person, and although she's reasonably friendly and affectionate, she doesn't really like being handled. I worry that I cannot give her the required care to keep her healthy. If she's outdoors, at least she has things like grass to chew and lots of things for a long healthy scratch.

Yesterday I went out to feed the neighbourhood cats, and it was much easier and relaxing for me, because I know my responsibility pretty much stops at feeding them and showing them some love, and maybe an occasional visit to the vet. But if I have a cat under my own roof, it's different, regular vet visits, professional dental care, having to monitor her diet and lifestyle, make sure she gets enough exercise and mental stimulation... I'm going to worry my mind out if things don't go smoothly.

I've always been aware that pet ownership is a long-term commitment, and it sounded all right on paper. But when I actually do it, it feels overwhelming. I have only ever had hamsters, and I also have a terrapin (my dad was the one who got him though) whom we've had for 20+ years. Now my mum is taking care of the terrapin because my hands are full with Crooktail. I feel so bad for her.

My folks have been pretty good sports, and my mum keeps saying I should be brave in accepting commitment and she'll support me. But I notice they've also had to make conscious changes to their lives e.g. keeping doors close, having a screen in front of the window in contrast to freedom of poking our heads out anytime, doing more cleaning around the house. Basically, there's less freedom now. I know my dad would definitely prefer to have Crooktail returned. He was very keen in promising to help me feed Crooktail if we put her back. Actually both my parents weren't very keen on adopting her in the first place because of the commitment that would be involved. I wished I'd listened to them back then. I wish I hadn't brought Crooktail home with me.

I don't know... maybe I'll give it another week and see how both of us feels. If I'm still a crying wreck by the end of next week, I'll put her back. My mum also suggested to just bring her back to her old home and see how she reacts. If she runs back into hiding, then it would mean she still prefers the outdoors. If she refuses to leave our side or follow us back, then we'll bring her home. That sounds like a fine idea. I just hope she'll still see her old territory as home. I'd be crushed if I put her back and then she goes somewhere else and I can't find her :(

To be honest, there's been some incidents of residents taking a stray cat home with them, only for the cat to reappear again. I used to be very critical of these people, and it's upsetting that I would become one of them.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I know it’s a tough decision for you to make but look on the other side, Crooktail would be safe indoors and will live a safer and a better life. This could just be your one and only cat that you’ll be having and since Crooktail has already kind of settled in and showing affection to you, best is to keep her.

As for her food, give her a mixture of wet and dry and slowly transit her over to wet if that’s your intention. Else, stick to whatever she’s used to and just have plenty of fresh water each time.

But if weighing all circumstances and you mentioned that you being not able to take care of her like having her claws trimmed, waking up in the middle of the night to attend to her and you are not a patient person, I guess to be fair to you and Crooktail is best for her to return to her original place and you can continue to look after her with much less worry and who knows, Crooktail may be happy too. This is truly a mixed emotion but to to be fair, let things go back to the original state.

But if she wanders away, which is quite possible and that you have no control over it except to keep her indoors but f you return her to where she is, expect such things to happen.

Maybe you could stick to your plan and see if she follows you home and that is a sure sign.

Looking after a cat is not troublesome but it just take a little getting use to and follow some routines. Follow what’s mentioned in the articles that was given to you.

I do hope that things will work out well for you and Crooktail and we hope for the best for both of you.

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like you, I live in place with relatively low traffic and in a climate where stray and feral cats can thrive on their own. There are plenty of birds, lizards, etc. to hunt, always a puddle of water to drink from, etc., and no danger of predators like coyotes nor severe weather that they cannot find a space to hide in until the weather passes.

In my case, I always let my adopted strays come and go as they please, as I think it is cruel (given the circumstances described above) to force a cat who has only known freedom its whole life to stay exclusively indoors. I understand that one big difference is that you are in an apartment building, which makes it impossible to let Crooktail come and go as she pleases. However, it is clear that she loves you and that she has chosen you to be her humans.

With that said, I strongly doubt that she will "unadopt" you if you release her back outside. Since you already had an established routine with her on your way home from work, she might even be happy with going back and forth, with your help. Once she knows this is an option, believe me that she will let you know when she wants to be let out and when she wants to come inside. You could try releasing her and bring her up every evening to eat inside. She will come to relate coming inside with being fed and look forward to that. When she indicates that she wants to leave, carry her back downstairs and outside. If she chooses to stay inside, let her stay until she wants to leave.

You have done a wonderful thing by having her spayed and seen by a vet, and by opening your home to her. However, I too know about living with depression and anxiety, and the most important thing is that you take care of your own well-being first and foremost. If you cannot take care of yourself, you will not be able to take proper care of another living being. You need to do what feels right for you and your mental and emotional stability. Crooktail has thrived living outside her whole life and will do so again if you release her, so do not feel guilty if you choose that route. By releasing her, you are neither exposing her to the unknown since she was not born and kept in captivity, nor are you putting her into an unusually dangerous situation, given the circumstances in your area.

Where there is a will, there is always a way to finding a happy middle-ground.

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A huge plus for you with the indoor/outdoor arrangement that I forgot to mention is no claw trimming! When she is outside, she will do what comes naturally and sharpen her claws on tree trunks and exposed roots! Just be sure to put flea drops on the back of her neck once a month and take her to get vaccines regularly, which will make a big difference in keeping her healthy if she's going to be exposed to other strays.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your anxiety about this sounds very deep and I can tell you genuinely want the best for her. I think if the decision of letting her back out brings you so much relief as you expierenced, you should do it. I very much wish you could offer an indoor/outdoor arrangement in your situation. :sigh: It sounds like the both of you would've felt so much more comfortable if that were possible.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mention that she's mostly eating all dry food and might be constipated. I know my female cat gets really moody and cranky when she's constipated. It would be great if you could get some canned food into her every day, since now she isn't eating mice & rodents for her wet food.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You both have bonded very much. I hope you keep Crooktail, but if you can't, don't beat yourself up. The dietary issues are easily resolved. Try Fancy Feast. In my experience, I never met a cat that didn't like FF. Get the meat combo pack, the pate - not the gravy ones. The pate is higher protein and better for her, less carbs.

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thank you for your inputs. I appreciate them.

It was a heartbreaking decision to make, but I decided to put her back. I tried to calm down and not let the "what-ifs" sabotage my decision. But in the last week, it was quite obvious that she was bored. I tried my best to play with her, following articles about how to simulate a prey and so on, but I don't think she's getting much enjoyment out of it. Probably she knows that toys are fake and she doesn't like that. She does eat the wet food that I put out for her, but overall her appetite just doesn't seem to be very good, compared to before I took her in. And she'd make these mad dashes around my house that pose quite a hazard to herself (she knocked into stuff a few times ouch) and my parents. When I see her lying on my bed, all mellow and sweet and letting me play with my paws, I feel that I can't let her go. But when I see her feeling bored, refusing toys, getting cranky and not wanting to be petted, I feel that I should probably let her go.

I returned Crooktail to her usual bush yesterday morning. When I opened the carrier, she ran to her bush almost immediately. We did hang around for some time to see if she'd come back to us, but she was more preoccupied with checking out her bush (probably to reclaim it with her scents, make sure nothing strange has infiltrated etc...) Yesterday she was quite standoffish, we visited thrice at different times with food and although we could see her and called to her, she wouldn't come and eat. I was in tears all day imagining the worst. I thought she must be mad at us, or that this whole situation has confused and frightened her too much. However, this morning, she came out, ate and drank, and hanged around outside with us for about an hour. She also rubbed our legs for a bit. I think she's trying to get used to all the new sights, people, sounds and sensations that she was deprived of in the past 2 weeks, and hopefully she'll quickly re-adapt and things can get back to normal soon and I'll be able to care for her like before.

The indoor-outdoor arrangement is something I could consider in future, when she's calmed down further. My home will still be available for her in times of need, and perhaps when she's an older and more mellowed cat with less desire to play, I could bring her in for good. For now, I must accept that I cannot give her what is perceived to be best for her, and I must be content with what I can give her :(

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think what you done which is best for both of you which of course led to some sad moments. I do hope Crooktail will fair well as she is back to her own place.

Bless your heart as you left the option opened for her and at least we know she is on good hands.

Do keep us posted on how she’s coping and also we hope that you have peace of heart.

Stray Cathouse Madame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful! It sounds like all of you are readapting already. You'll know you've done the right thing when you regularly see her happy to spend time with you by her bush once more.

And now if there is ever threatening weather (cyclones, flooding rains, etc.) you can feel comfortable bringing her inside until the severe weather passes, and she will be grateful to be warm and dry. I have cats who prefer to stay outside but I bring them in when there's a hurricane or other extended thunderstorm and they don't ask to go back out until they sense that the danger has passed. They know.

I hope that going back to the way things were before plus knowing that she's spayed and healthy has helped to lift your mood and ease some anxiety. It's important for us who deal with depression and anxiety to free ourselves of as many avoidable stressors as possible.

You are a special pair, you and Crooktail. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Last night and this morning, she came out to eat again when I visited with food. I'm feeling a bit better now, less anxious, have regained my appetite and able to get work done. But I still worry about her. She isn't as affectionate as before. Previously, she'd jump out of her bush as soon as I approach, and she'd constantly rub my legs while eating. Now she only responds to the sound I make from shaking the food container, doesn't really follow me all the way where I want her (she gets to a spot, stop, and when I see she doesn't really want to follow anymore, I put her food and water in front of her) and she mainly focuses on eating, then looks around furtively like she's being cautious or making sense of the surrounding or something. And then eventually, after she's done looking around while I watch on, she goes back to her bush, and that's when I leave. I miss her affectionate mannerisms. I wonder if she's still mad at me, or if she's upset at the changes, or a mixture of both. Of course it's only been 2 days since her return from a confusing and stressful encounter (no thanks to me sigh :() so I must be patient, and hopefully she'll truly settle down soon.

I just find it strange that she seemed to have taken a shorter time adapting to my house than her old territory which she's lived at for a far longer period. Maybe it's because my house only had me and my parents and nothing threatening (just a lack of freedom). Whereas, outdoors, there are other cats (all spayed/neutered, not aggressive and their territories are further away) and other people so perhaps the re-emergence of all these made her feel wary again? On the other hand, these were present all along though and there's been no noticeable change to her territory. I also remember that when I got her spayed in April, I had her boarded for 2 days post-surgery, so she was away for 4 days before returning. Aside from the first day when she immediately went into hiding, her behaviour was perfectly normal after that.

In any case, at this point of time, I should feel satisfied that she's at least staying put and still comes out for meal times. I'll continue to update again, hopefully things will get better for her (which will make me feel better). Thanks for caring! <3

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Glad that you are feeling better now and it’s a relief for us too.

That could be many reasons for her to behave in that way but as long as she’s not hiding from you, it’s a good sign. Maybe give her more time to resettle.

Please keep us posted :wink:

kurocatlady

Amateur Cat Lady
Young Cat
Purraise
I have good news! She's pretty much back to normal. She appears almost immediately now when we approach. She's more affectionate and yesterday she sat next to me for about an hour. She's now confident enough to lounge outside her bush by herself from time to time, something which she does when the weather's fine. It's been raining a bit here but when we see her, she's always dry so she must have found a dry place to hole up. She also recognised and went after another person who used to feed her.

I have a couple of questions about administering flea medication myself. When I brought her to the vet, the vet gave her Frontline Plus and a tablet for deworming, I think it was Drontal, I'll have to check again. I plan to continue administering these things myself to keep her healthy, and I'm able to purchase them online. Am I supposed to give her both types of medication? i.e. Frontline Plus monthly, deworming tablet maybe about once every 3-6 months? I don't think vet visits would be a good idea anytime soon after the recent confusion she's been through. Also, which is better, Frontline Plus or Revo?

Another thing, I noticed is that when she's outside at night, she's usually pretty mellow and relaxed, just sitting around when I see her. At most, if I'm jogging, she might run alongside me for a short route, and she might try to get my attention, but is usually satisfied with extra food or some petting. This led me to misunderstand that she's a very mellow cat. When she was in my house at about the same hour, she'd be running around madly and demanding to be played with. Is there any explanation for this? Hopefully being able to understand and resolve this will help me in future when i take her in again.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That’s good to hear that she’s back to her normal self again :wavey:

As an outdoor cat, likely chance of getting fleas, ticks and worms are pretty high. As we do not know what she has been hunting and eating or is there any bites from mosquitoes or is her place where she sleeps is infested with fleas.

A good measure is maybe every six months for flea control or deworming but best is to check with the vet for a better answer.

Should be ok to administer both as one is topical (flea med) and the other is via mouth or mixed with food.

Just follow the instruction well that is stated on the flea control box, which is administered at the back of the cat’s neck between the shoulder blades on the skin and not on the fur, where she can’t reach with her mouth or paws. Be careful not to get it on your hands.

Deworming is usually a course of medication rounds depending on the severity of worms. If there’s no worms, it’s just one prescription dose given by the vet. If there are signs of worms, usually the dose is repeated till all worms are eradicated.

I’ve only used once on my boy when he stayed over at the vet’s and I used Revolution for him. I think this is pretty good as many have used this brand. I’m not sure about the Frontline brand.

Different cats have different behaviors and they play at different times as they sleep or rest during certain hours of the day. And especially for Crooktail, I think that when she is outdoor, there are plenty of activities for her as she watched the world goes by. So that could tire her out during certain times and when you visit her, it’s her resting time? Therefore she is more mellow? And while she’s at your home, after resting and when she sees you’re back, she is proud excited to see you and wants to play with you. But play mood can change anytime. When at home, start a routine with her and keep repeating. As now she is outdoor, there’s no routine but she just do whatever as and when. I hope my explanations are valid.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only use revolution on mine (indoor/outdoor) which takes care of internal parasites and even ear mites and i have been very happy with the results and don't expect to change any time soon.......

kirstycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear kurocatlady

I am facing the same dilemma as you. Just recently adopted a stray cat that I have been feeding for nearly a year. He was so friendly. But ever since I took him in. He is very moody refuses to eat. And he doesn't even play with me. I feel so guilty and anxious. I feel like I want to return him back. He had the freedom but I was concerned for his safely and so I thought I could adopt him. But now I am feeling so overwhelmed. I can't even sleep. Should I return him back?