Tomorrow May Be Last Day With Cats.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
kittychick kittychick
Thank you for experienced input.
I once had a feral stuck in a tree in my yard for 2 days. We tried everything, scaffolding ladders but he climbed higher. So I reached out to a local TNR group for advice and I was told to put mackerel out at the base of the tree at sunrise. 3 hours later the feral made his way down and ate some but not all of the mackerel. And 2 1/2 years later the feral still is fine.
Like it’s been said it’s fine for emergencies or hard to trap cats or unfortunately hospice cats.
Glad to hear mackerel helped your little feral climbing adventurer - - and even better to hear he's still doing well! :)

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really frantic over the cheese it crisis here. :(
I really don't think the cheese - in the kind of quantity you're talking about him eating - is a problem. At worst it might mean a bit of tummy upset. It's highly doubtful that it would really hurt him - - - or cause him to avoid you now. Remember that their world is a bit upended right now. Plus ferals (and kitties in general) are highly attuned to the emotional energy around them. I've found that often if they sense your panic (particularly ferals - - since being highly attuned to their surroundings is what keeps them alive) - they know something's "off" in their area, so they disappear until they feel things are more calm.

The best you can do (and it's not easy - I know!) is to be calm, and to try to act as if all is normal. Once they sense that - - likely all will be back to normal! Fingers crossed - and keep us all posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think the cheese - in the kind of quantity you're talking about him eating - is a problem. At worst it might mean a bit of tummy upset. It's highly doubtful that it would really hurt him - - - or cause him to avoid you now. Remember that their world is a bit upended right now. Plus ferals (and kitties in general) are highly attuned to the emotional energy around them. I've found that often if they sense your panic (particularly ferals - - since being highly attuned to their surroundings is what keeps them alive) - they know something's "off" in their area, so they disappear until they feel things are more calm.

The best you can do (and it's not easy - I know!) is to be calm, and to try to act as if all is normal. Once they sense that - - likely all will be back to normal! Fingers crossed - and keep us all posted!
This isn’t cheese though. It’s the cheese cracker

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to say cheese cracker - sorry. I really think he's ok - - try not to beat yourself up about it.
Ok thanks. I do need to be more careful with my food though. He does this every time I eat. If the time comes that I can bring them in I may have to put him in a different room during my meal time since my food looks more interesting then his favorite. Shaman is curious but that’s about all.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have gotten the occasional cheese cracker, potato chip even a waffle. A couple of bites of a cheese cracker won’t hurt a cat. Just keep them away in the future like you plan on.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
He just now returned. Sneezing which I think is because of all the grass cutting and the chemicals from the paint and bug spray. I still smell it and it’s outside. He just finished playing with an ice cube.

And he did not lick it. He just batted it around and sniffed til melted then drank water from the water bowl.

C53F765A-CBA3-4C5E-8843-1EBF5E4CD526.jpeg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have to take Treasure to the vet tomorrow. He's showing allergic reactions to the cheese it crackers. I know it is allergies because my Mom displays the very same reaction to the cheese it crackers and was told she's allergic.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh good, at least she's checking out the new fixtures. Just make sure there's no left over or opened cans of toxic paint or glue and nails around that the cats can get to.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I cleaned up after they left and the food bowls are on an old sheet right now til everything is totally dry. He's a curious boy but thankfully not that curious except with my food which I now bring inside to eat after witnessing his allergic reaction to just a lick or two of my cheese it crackers when he knocked my plate on the ground

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
And ironically neither Shaman or Treasure like the Music for Cats CD or anything made for cats. They're more chill with Mozart or (haha) some Merle Haggard.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity if curiosity, what type of reaction did Treasure have to he cheese it?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
He displayed spasms, sneezing and vomiting.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too. He rested all day yesterday and back to himself today. He and Shaman are chasing each other into the bushes and all. And I can take a breath and nap.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's also really hard to say for sure it was the cracker if they are outdoors. They could have just got into something on another property.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A food allergy in cats usually shows up as itching and fur mowing. Spasms or seizures usually are a reaction to something poison such as automotive fluids (antifreeze, brake fluid, etc) or rat baits. So it's really hard to know for sure.