Tomorrow May Be Last Day With Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Still hoping for an answer on the mackerel suggestion given by a staff member on this post. :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe that person has been offline since Wednesday.
Ok well do you know if Olive Oil and salt in the mackerel is toxic for cats? What do the feral people do for strong smelling fish to lure cats to the traps? Remember this is m first time working with cats that were feral. Pepper was 3 months old when I got her and she was indoors all the time so I didn't have to lure her anywhere. Wet food isn't strong enough to lure them like suggested

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
These guys are coming back next week to finish this up and I want to start using the mackerel that was suggested to train them (workers drill) to go back there again. Shaman is clueless and has a hard time finding the food. She always did although her eyesight is good.

Was hoping to have a week to prepare for the next round. :(

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never worked with feral cats either, and I don’t know how safe the mackerel would be. Sorry :ohwell:

I will say my girl Olive loves those bonito flakes - they sell them at most pet stores.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never worked with feral cats either, and I don’t know how safe the mackerel would be. Sorry :ohwell:

I will say my girl Olive loves those bonito flakes - they sell them at most pet stores.
Do they have a smell?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm needing something smelly since Shaman is clueless. She doesn't always follow Treasure to food

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they smell pretty strong and have the consistency of fish food. My hands are stinky after I use them. I top Olive’s food if I want her to try a new food.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as there is no Garlic or onion in the canned mackerel it will be fine. It’s been used to trap cats or in my case get a feral cat down from a tree.
It’s not ideal as a diet only a once in while treat.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Only concern really I can think of might be the oil or grease that some fish is packed in. The grease can give it an odd smell. You might also want to see if you can get boneless.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
On a side note I think you can get bonito flakes at grocery stores too. Asian People make rice dishes with them. Katsuobushi I think is what they are called

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I am late to answer. I didn’t get an alert to your post or somehow it got lost in a deluge of alerts. So very sorry. Also hated reading about your scratch. That was just a reaction from all the changes going on there. It was fear and a plea for you to protect. The cats look to you as their protector. In spite of their fear, they do trust you. If they did not love you they would never have come close enough to scratch. Sounds odd but cats have their own language. They come to you out of love and trust. A cat will swipe to discipline a kitten, scold another cat or out of fear. If any creature approaches them that they don’t trust, they will avoid it unless it is seen as a needed food source like a bird or mouse.
As for using mackerel, I worked with a feral rescue group and that is sort of a trade specialty. I happen to have grown up on islands. The cats there regularly catch and eat fish from the ocean. They ingest more salt than you would be giving by using mackerel as a lure. Mackerel is used here as a lovely and stinky lure for feral trapping. It isn’t given as daily diet but is great to lure the kitties. You are giving them a very small amount here so the salt content would be minimal. I have used it many times without any problems. If you want stinky, that’s the ticket! If you reach a point where you don’t need stinky then I found that the kitties could also be lured easily with all meat baby food, canned chicken or tuna. These may not be super stinky but still may work as lures. Keep in mind that a lure is not going to be given for a lifetime of meals. They are treats. You are using a lure to get the cats into a position where you can provide optimum care or teach them something important.
I saw your concern about the insecticide being used. You can shovel a small amount of soil over the spray. It should cover and absorb any wet residue. My cats hate the sound of spraying. They run from the noise. Hang in there. Your kitties seem to be secure enough in that being their home to remain nearby. They may hide for a bit but letting you pet them is a sure sign that they view you as their home and family. You’re doing great.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well today I came out to eat lunch to be with the cats. Should have known better as I had left over Captain D's. Anyway Treasure knocked the plate out of my hand and my lunch was scattered all over the ground. Before I could clean it up he licked some of the chesse its I had added to my lunch Anyway I cleaned up everything. Treasure got mad because I wouldn't share and so he decided to chase Shaman instead. They;ve been gone for 45 minutes now giving me time to eat (a new plate of food) for lunch in peace lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well either Treasure is really upset with me and is not coming back or he and Shaman are having too much fun. Noobs came to eat and was not run off. And that is 100% rare as Treasure usually pokes his head out of the bushes and has a stare down with Noobs before chasing him off. And so worry wart me kicked in again. I do hope I see them again but I'm going to be honest here. If they don't I am never doing this again. I can't take this stress of the cats disappearing and worrying over every thing along with sneaking around my Mom. It's too heartbreaking and stressful.

Are we sure that the cats bond with the humans? I'm thinking it's more the food we serve imo.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s only been a few hours. When I had 3 ferals that were TNR they came for food and love twice a day. Sometimes once a day. They never had a set schedule. Cats do bond with humans but they bond on their terms.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those on this thread -- I did answer about mackerel use on the other "mackerel" thread started by MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf . We've used it for years (in small amounts as a "lure" only - - not as part of their diet or in large quantities) when trapping, whether it's ferals for TNR work, or trying to lure in a lost kitty. And we only began using it after checking with several well-respected veterinary sources and TNR organizations (I'm a worrier - - so don't use anything without checking and rechecking - -but I'm not a vet and wouldn't recommend anyone use anything they're uncomfortable with). And the mackerel we use - the only ingredients in it are mackeral and salt. We usually choose it over tuna as a lure since it's far smellier and the kitties seem to be pulled to it from further away - and push harder to get to it - due to the strength of the odor. It's SO smelly that my hubby can tell hours later if he comes in and I've opened it to bait a trap - - it's certainly not a choice of mine for a scent when company's coming over. :p

And I strongly believe cats bond with humans (being their "giver of food" certainly helps jumpstart that bond!). I've worked at many shelters and seen cats bond to some people immediately - - choosing to be with them, and follow them around the shelter, ignoring the shelter workers who feed them! (I've BEEN one of those ignored workers!). To me - one of our kitties is a wonderful example of it being love - and not just food. One of our girls - Flick - was originally a feral we TNR'd. My husband was the one who worked with her daily for months - -he was the one who fed her most of the time, and he was the one who then usually worked on socializing her by sitting with her and giving her treats daily. She's now one of our beloved indoor-only kitties - - - and still my hubby is 99% of the time the feeder of all of our guys. But much to his chagrin, she's very, very bonded to us both but I'm her favorite. :heartshape: If he sits down, she's in his lap, but if I come in the room - - -she leaves him immediately to sit on mine! :yess: And when she hears me wake up in the morning she shoots up the stairs as fast as she can to greet me - even if she's in the middle of getting her breakfast from hubby!

So I'm definitely in the "they love us for more than our ability to open a can" camp. :)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I certainly hope Treasure is ok. Shaman is back but Treasure never did come back. I hope my pizza flavored cheese it wasn't toxic to him. I thought I snatched it from him before any harm. I'm really worried about him now. Even Shaman is crying for him. I never should have ate my lunch outside. :(

As usual another night of no sleep worrying about his health because of this latest lunchtime tragedy :(

Every since I started feeding them one tragedy after another. First the pinsol on the rag, then the bug spray the other day, and now this. Maybe they'd be better off if a neighbor set out food for them because I keep messing it up. :(

Last edited:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittychick kittychick
Thank you for experienced input.
I once had a feral stuck in a tree in my yard for 2 days. We tried everything, scaffolding ladders but he climbed higher. So I reached out to a local TNR group for advice and I was told to put mackerel out at the base of the tree at sunrise. 3 hours later the feral made his way down and ate some but not all of the mackerel. And 2 1/2 years later the feral still is fine.
Like it’s been said it’s fine for emergencies or hard to trap cats or unfortunately hospice cats.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really frantic over the cheese it crisis here. :(