Tobi and Pippi not getting along

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naofabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys. just a quick update. nothing really changed. Pippi still doesn't want to come closer to the net, when Tobi is around :(

naofabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey there.

It seems like Pippi is making some progress, really slowly but still.

But I'm not sure about Tobi. As I mentioned earlier, we're swapping the territory every day, today Pippi is inside the bedroom and Tobi is staying with us. When we put Pippi inside the bedroom, she stood there and looked for Tobi, when he arrived at the barrier she moved away and Tobi was laying on the ground, fully focused and his tail was lashing from one side to the other like crazy.

Is this aggressive behavior? What do you guys think?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hey there.

It seems like Pippi is making some progress, really slowly but still.

But I'm not sure about Tobi. As I mentioned earlier, we're swapping the territory every day, today Pippi is inside the bedroom and Tobi is staying with us. When we put Pippi inside the bedroom, she stood there and looked for Tobi, when he arrived at the barrier she moved away and Tobi was laying on the ground, fully focused and his tail was lashing from one side to the other like crazy.

Is this aggressive behavior? What do you guys think?
He's definitely agitated, but "aggressive"? Not unless he's physically engaging her in a pugnacious way.

naofabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's definitely agitated, but "aggressive"? Not unless he's physically engaging her in a pugnacious way.
I mean, if the barrier wouldn't be there, he'd be absolutely attacking her. That's why we still keep them apart.

naofabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A wise way of handling this period.
but I'm really unsure about how long this period should be. Should we even consider trying to put them together in one room or should we wait for so long until Tobi is completely relaxed with "seeing" (no eyes, you know) her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
but I'm really unsure about how long this period should be. Should we even consider trying to put them together in one room or should we wait for so long until Tobi is completely relaxed with "seeing" (no eyes, you know) her.
There's no definitive authority as to this; I usually do things from the heart by instinct, or put another way if you're spiritual *I am* by Prayer and listening for the Answer. I could just say "you will know" but that might not be the answer you're seeking. I would just go day by day and when you think it's right, give them some time together. There may be spats. That's okay. As long as no blood is drawn and they're not a rolling ball of cat fury, it's okay under supervision. They will need to work out their hierarchy.

naofabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm kinda scared to put them together since I don't want them to be hurt. :(

It's also really annoying, as soon it's Tobis time to be in the bedroom, he's meowing for hours. We just started to ignore it, he usually stops within a few hours. It's still breaking my heart.

It's not like he is being ignored all day long. there is plenty of play and cuddle time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kinda scared to put them together since I don't want them to be hurt. :(

It's also really annoying, as soon it's Tobis time to be in the bedroom, he's meowing for hours. We just started to ignore it, he usually stops within a few hours. It's still breaking my heart.

It's not like he is being ignored all day long. there is plenty of play and cuddle time.
Well, as with people, cats take time to adjust and adapt. They will need to get to know one another some time, and under supervision for short periods, working up to longer periods and finally always given freedom of the house, is how the experts recommend and how I've always done it.

naofabo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, as with people, cats take time to adjust and adapt. They will need to get to know one another some time, and under supervision for short periods, working up to longer periods and finally always given freedom of the house, is how the experts recommend and how I've always done it.
thank you for your answer. that's so kind. sometimes I feel kinda hopeless and don't know what to do, since I really wish they would get along with each other.

whenever I tried to put them together, Pippi immediately ran away and went on the cat tree or something similar where Tobi couldn't reach her. Should I block her safe spot?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you for your answer. that's so kind. sometimes I feel kinda hopeless and don't know what to do, since I really wish they would get along with each other.

whenever I tried to put them together, Pippi immediately ran away and went on the cat tree or something similar where Tobi couldn't reach her. Should I block her safe spot?
Suggest you consult any tutorials here on the site about introducing a new cat to the family and also look at Jackson Galaxy's "Cat Daddy" videos on the subject on YouTube. I am not an authority, and each situation, like each cat, is different. My instinct would say "No" because I always put myself in the situation of the cat and I would not want my safe place blocked when I am anxious or scared; would you? Time, love and patience have always been my "weapons" of choice and they have always worked. I always make sure that when I am introducing a new cat, everyone has safe places to be.