To Neuter Or Not To Neuter

Nadine25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it’s a no brainer for most people, but I am seriously concerned. I had a cat who I loved dearly and one month after his neutering operation he developed urethral obstruction and two months later he died despite the vet’s best effort. I couldn’t help but conclude that the operation had a hand in what happened somehow because before it he was perfectly healthy. I searched online and some websites say that the desexing operation narrows the urethra which makes it much easier for it to become obstructed. I recently adopted two adult male cats (ages 3 and 5 years old my old cat was 7 years old when he had the operation) and I am kinda terrified of getting them neutered. Would the operation really increase their chances of getting an obstruction?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadine25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I always feed my cats a mixture of dry and soft food and once he got diagnosed the vet put him on a specialized diet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that this happened to your kitty. I've gotten many boy cats neutered, and they have all been fine. But I guess complications can happen with any surgery. It really is best for them though, they will start to spray and it stinks, trust me!

Nadine25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I know I am being paranoid but seeing him go through that broke my heart... I don’t want to put the new kitties at any risk

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand why you feel that way. I waited too long to neuter my boy cat and his pee/spray really stunk up the house bad. I just don't want you to have to go through that. It's really hard to clean and get the smell out. How come the people you got him from didn't neuter them?

Nadine25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know! I went through the spraying thing with my old cat, it was horrible!

I am not sure, I do not know the previous owners personally. They were friends of friends who were about to leave the country and they couldn’t find someone to adopt the kitties... were about to throw them out. When I heard that from my friends I offered to adopt them. Next day they were sent over to my house and the owners were gone.

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my last boy neutered young (two months) and he had lifelong urinary issues. My current kittens I will wait until 5 months. I want to get them done before 6 months though as that is when they can start to mark. It’s a personal choice and just do as much research as you can. Im so sorry to hear what happened to your cat. I would think that would be a very rare problem though!

Nadine25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I am hoping it’s a rare problem... problem is that my research is yielding contradictory results...

laughingduck

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat did really well once I switched his good to Nutram Urinary food. Nevet had issues after. Maybe you could do a preventative switch before you neuter your cat to ease your mind? I also only fed dry as I never knew cats needed canned. Good luck with whatever you decide

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My male cat did really well once I switched his good to Nutram Urinary food. Nevet had issues after. Maybe you could do a preventative switch before you neuter your cat to ease your mind? I also only fed dry as I never knew cats needed canned. Good luck with whatever you decide
Just wanted to chime in that most "urinary" foods are not meant to be used as preventatives. They typically work by changing the acidity level in the urine to stop crystal formation/break down crystals. The main reason why this acidity level would need to be changed is because a cat is eating a food that is not appropriate for them in the first place and causing the acidity of their urine to be abnormal, therefore encouraging crystal formation. We also don't know the long term effects of cats eating urinary foods. The best way to prevent urinary disease is to feed an all wet diet that is high in meat-based protein.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! I went through the spraying thing with my old cat, it was horrible!

I am not sure, I do not know the previous owners personally. They were friends of friends who were about to leave the country and they couldn’t find someone to adopt the kitties... were about to throw them out. When I heard that from my friends I offered to adopt them. Next day they were sent over to my house and the owners were gone.
Unbelievable. I always wonder why some people are taking up space on this severely overpopulated planet. That said, much gratitude to you! And in a word, to answer your thread question: YES. It would be unconscionable not to neuter, for so many reasons; and I have lived with cats all my life, starting with two males, and have only had 3 who have tended to FLUTD. The first was prescribed special diet, which he hated and would not eat (I don't blame him. The stuff looked and smelled vile. And cats need variety, like people do.) and then methionine paste or tablets, which he took very readily. He lived to 18 and was a healthy, happy boy. The second was prescribed methionine tabs, which he took temporarily and was fine. He lived to 21, again, healthy and happy. The third is now 10 and I give him CranHealth tablets from DrsFosterSmith.com -- very affordable, palatable, and there are a lot of testimonials on the site about their effectiveness, which encouraged us to try them. He gets one per day and has not had any problems since. We're on our 4th bottle or so. If you do have any "accidents" to clean, may I recommend Nature's Miracle Just For Cats, available at most "pet" supply places. Used as directed, it really works. But by all means, run, don't walk, to get your cats neutered!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If neutering is a concern, and provided your cat spends most or all time indoors and isn't oversexed, frustrated, or acting out, you might talk to your vet about a vasectomy. Dog people do this all the time, the hormones are still there but they're unable to reproduce.
With that stated, our toms are all neutered. We've used vets and low cost clinics and the only issue was keeping them down for a day or two to let their incision heal!!
As a young adult I had a boy cat with multiple blockage issues before he hit two years old. Scary stuff. Urinary diets did not work. I reluctantly switched him to an all wet diet and it never happened again.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, my opinion is please neuter! It will cause you so much less stress and so much less stress for your kitties too. Focus on canned food so they can get as must moisture and water intake as possible. My cat was neutered at 10 weeks old and aside from 2 weeks when he was a kitten and ate dry, he has been on nothing but canned or raw and he pees like a champ. I don't believe that cats neutered older causes obstructions. I think it really depends on genetics.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are prone to urinary issues and could possibly die, whether neutered or not. I have had 50 + cats neutered/spayed and have never had a problem with any of them. Waiting until the kitten is at least 6-8 months old lets the internal systems mature and should be the solution to most urinary problems, so you should have no problems. Seeing the unneutered ferals around here would help in your decision. They are all full of scars and wounds,always roaming, never calm or content, spraying everything and constantly yowling. I wouldn't research anything health related on the internet. There are too many seemingly legitimate sites that reflect someones opinions and are not accurate at all. Talk to a reputable vet, then make your decision.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I feel is indispensable for all cat caregivers is a cat fountain. They range widely in price and you don't need to buy a fancy expensive one, but having one almost always results in cats drinking more water than they would from a stationery water bowl, and water is essential for cats' health. DrsFosterSmith.com has a nice variety and they ship right to your door.

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think a bad experience like what you went through would taint the nutering image for anyone :( im sorry you had to to through that. With 2 males being in the house I would have to recommend they get neutered at any second they can gi from best friends to enemies over a territorial issue that could have been controled more so by neutering. I think they are at a good age not to old and not to young to be fixed. When we take our rescues to get snipped we aim for 4 months 2 at the very very minimum if absolutely necessary and a year at the latest to prevent spraying. Once they are in the spraying habit its super hard to get them out of it. A reputable vet or low cost spay neuter clinic would help ensure that the best care was offered for sure and if you need help finding one im mkre thsn happy to help :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a bad experience like what you went through would taint the nutering image for anyone :( im sorry you had to to through that. With 2 males being in the house I would have to recommend they get neutered at any second they can gi from best friends to enemies over a territorial issue that could have been controled more so by neutering. I think they are at a good age not to old and not to young to be fixed. When we take our rescues to get snipped we aim for 4 months 2 at the very very minimum if absolutely necessary and a year at the latest to prevent spraying. Once they are in the spraying habit its super hard to get them out of it. A reputable vet or low cost spay neuter clinic would help ensure that the best care was offered for sure and if you need help finding one im mkre thsn happy to help :)
*Agree 100% with your thoughts and the reasons why, Ladysnuggable Ladysnuggable !