To Neuter Or Not To Neuter

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another thing I feel is indispensable for all cat caregivers is a cat fountain. They range widely in price and you don't need to buy a fancy expensive one, but having one almost always results in cats drinking more water than they would from a stationery water bowl, and water is essential for cats' health. DrsFosterSmith.com has a nice variety and they ship right to your door.
Manny drinks more water now since I got him a fountain. I was a little worried about him when I first got him because he wasn't drinking much from his bowl. I was use to my MC that would just lay down in front of the bowl and drink for 5 minutes straight. I would fill his bowl once a day. I was using the same bowl with Manny and he was barely making a dent in it. He didn't like the fountain at first but he eventually migrated from the bowl to the fountain and I eventually put the bowl away. He's constantly at the fountain now. I add about 3 to 4 cups of water to it about every day to a day and half which, would equal filling the bowl up in the same time period. Some is evaporation but most is what he drinks. I bought a cheap one at chewy at around $20 just to make sure he would use it. I plan on getting him a better one, probably when the pump goes out on this one.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manny drinks more water now since I got him a fountain. I was a little worried about him when I first got him because he wasn't drinking much from his bowl. I was use to my MC that would just lay down in front of the bowl and drink for 5 minutes straight. I would fill his bowl once a day. I was using the same bowl with Manny and he was barely making a dent in it. He didn't like the fountain at first but he eventually migrated from the bowl to the fountain and I eventually put the bowl away. He's constantly at the fountain now. I add about 3 to 4 cups of water to it about every day to a day and half which, would equal filling the bowl up in the same time period. Some is evaporation but most is what he drinks. I bought a cheap one at chewy at around $20 just to make sure he would use it. I plan on getting him a better one, probably when the pump goes out on this one.
Good on ya for doing this for Manny! We have the basic Drinkwell fountain -- we're on our second one, actually -- and I add to fill every morning, doing a full cleaning weekly as recommended and changing the filter frequently. I have several stationery water bowls around the house as well, because I want to make sure everyone has access to fresh water all the time. Cats in the wild get most of their moisture from their prey which is why you won't see cats guzzling water like dogs.

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your heartbreaking situation. I can understand your anxiety about having these new guys neutered, totally. For this awful outcome there are thousands and thousands of successful neutering. It is like thinking about one plane that crashed without thinking of the thousands that just landed safely. I am a worrier though, so I would be hesitant as well. See your vet and get advice from him/her, a vet you trust. Again, sorry about your baby. It sucks, they are so innocent, yet one of mine had a seizure disorder and the other had a urinary blockage and had to have surgery. It really sucks, it is all so unpredictable.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Life is often very unfair and we cannot understand why innocent and blameless loved ones suffer and do not survive. Yet I believe that, as their guardians, it is our responsibility and our duty to do what is best for them, for cats, for kids, for elders, for anyone in our care. Neutering is by far the best we can do for them, and the incidents of problems are far outweighed by the good that is done by neutering.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, Neuter them and don't feed them a kibble only dry diet. I had to go thru 2 episodes of blockage with my last male cat before I figured it out! I recommend reading this: catinfo.org

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadine25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for all the helpful replies! Reading this has been very comforting. I am completely switching to soft food and I am looking into getting the fountain. I also had a long talk with my vet (in which I hounded him with so many questions, he was about to run away at some point) and I am going forward with the neutering. Wish them luck please! And many thanks for all your support!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nadine25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much! We had the operations last week and the two of them are recovering nicely! The only hurdle I have come against now is that their previous owners fed them only dry food, I give them on a mix of soft and dry foods but I have been trying to wean them off all processed foods and feed them only homemade foods... needless to say they vehemently refuse to give it even the tiniest of chances.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! We had the operations last week and the two of them are recovering nicely! The only hurdle I have come against now is that their previous owners fed them only dry food, I give them on a mix of soft and dry foods but I have been trying to wean them off all processed foods and feed them only homemade foods... needless to say they vehemently refuse to give it even the tiniest of chances.
That’s great news and so fantastic that you’re trying to feed them healthier foods. I would just be sure that your homemade foods are nutritionally complete. There are lots of people here who can help with that in the raw and homemade subforum.