Three Year Weight Loss

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 11 yr old cat has been losing weight for three years. Lots of trips to the vet for diarrhea and occasional vomiting. Injections of cerenia and centrine seemed to help. Still my cat has kept losing weight. All the blood tests came back normal. Now I'm wondering if it could be IBD or cancer? My cat is still playful with energy so I'm wondering if it could be cancer for three years? Or something else. The vet suggested ultrasound but it probably would not be conclusive by itself. Any suggestions or experiences?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is your cat eating and drinking and NOT having diarrhea or vomiting now - but is still losing weight?

It wouldn't seem to be cancer given the 3 year time line. I am not sure about the IBD, as I have no experience with that. But, I have heard others have gotten ultrasounds to help with diagnosis.

The fact that your cat is still playful is a great sign, but confusing with the weight loss.

What kind of blood tests were performed? There are ones in addition to the standard CBC that might help identify some nutritional deficiencies - for one is a full Chemistry profile. Also, did the vet check for hyperthyroidism?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did your vet check B12 and folate levels when he did blood work. IBD cats will often have low levels because inflammation interferes with absorption. A definitive diagnosis cannot be done with an ultrasound but it is still useful. There are things that can be seen on an ultrasound that would indicate that IBD is highly likely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is still eating but not good. The diarrhea still persists. She had two panels of blood tests but I'll double check them tomorrow for B12 and TSH. All were ok.
She's fairly frail right now and I'm not sure how well she would do with an ultrasound. Definitely a biopsy or endoscopy would be too much for her.

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did check with the vet and my cat got the B12 folate blood test a year ago. However they want me to get all my blood tests done again. I'm not sure why. If she's had this condition for 3 years why would the tests all of a sudden become positive if they weren't before? Seems like a waste of money.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago were the blood tests done?

If you are going to pursue the ultrasound, a new set of blood work would likely have to be done - just like it is pretty standard in humans.

But, if a date has not been set yet for the ultrasound and the last blood work was pretty recent (less than 6 months ago), you might want to ask the vet if it will be required again before the ultrasound and if so, is it necessary now as well.

Based on your cat's age, some vets would prefer to run blood work twice a year - but, for sure at least once a year.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Trin has IBD or lymphoma - not sure which because we never did a biopsy.

He was having terrible diarrhea for a few weeks so we took him in to the vet. His bloodwork has elevated liver enzymes and low B12. The ultrasound didn’t show anything for us, he wasn’t very inflamed and no abnormalities. But I’ve read other accounts on this site where there were lumps, tumors, or intestinal inflammation and useful information was received.

We treated as if it was IBD (steroids and B12 injections). When he didn’t get better we treated as if it was lymphoma (chemo, steroids and IBD).

He did worse on chicken food than non chicken, and he was still pretty playful and energetic when we first took him in. Honestly I think he had minor IBD most of his life, he always had an extremely sensitive stomach.

Hopefully you find what’s wrong soon! :vibes::vibes:

catluvrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat Trin has IBD or lymphoma - not sure which because we never did a biopsy.

He was having terrible diarrhea for a few weeks so we took him in to the vet. His bloodwork has elevated liver enzymes and low B12. The ultrasound didn’t show anything for us, he wasn’t very inflamed and no abnormalities. But I’ve read other accounts on this site where there were lumps, tumors, or intestinal inflammation and useful information was received.

We treated as if it was IBD (steroids and B12 injections). When he didn’t get better we treated as if it was lymphoma (chemo, steroids and IBD).

He did worse on chicken food than non chicken, and he was still pretty playful and energetic when we first took him in. Honestly I think he had minor IBD most of his life, he always had an extremely sensitive stomach.

Hopefully you find what’s wrong soon! :vibes::vibes:
How is your cat doing? Did it have diarrhea for years like mine? Did Pectalin work at all?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we lost him last December. We caught the problem very late. We started with steroids and B12 shots, and it seemed to help a little. Then we tried chemo and generally he didn’t take to it very well so we let him go.

We never tried Pectalin, he was on Prednisolone and later Lukeran.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your vet did nothing about a cat that’s been losing weight for years, along with diarrhea and vomiting, you need another vet. Those are clear red flags for something being wrong.

Blood values change. Cats are living things, diseases progress or regress. The tests being done make sense to me. Ask your vet if you are not sure; you’re the one paying for them.

I hope your kitty gets the right treatment and gets better soon. Sending him healing vibes.