This Poor Cat

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First stage can last from 12 to 24 hours.  http://www.quality-cat-care.com/cat-labor.html

If it goes longer than 24 hours, or if it goes into second stage and then returns to first, call the vet.  Otherwise I'd make sure she has access to water, because of all the panting, let her try to mother her grandkittens (as long as her daughter and the kittens aren't complaining), and be available to her if she needs you.  She's obviously fully into mothering mode; I'm sure she'll be a very good mother.  Also, it's obvious that she's done this before or she wouldn't have grandkittens, so she really should be okay.  She knows what she's doing.  I suspect that you're more anxious about it than she is.

It could be Braxton Hicks contractions, though I'm inclined to think this is the real thing.  See http://www.thecatsite.com/t/306346/can-cats-have-braxton-hicks-contractions

Since part of first stage is simply getting the litter into proper position for birth, and she obviously has either a very large litter or a litter of very large kittens, that may be part of what's slowing things down.  It was much faster with Sweet Thing, but she only had four to deal with.  Also, I wonder now whether she didn't go through first stage with me totally oblivious. 

Sleep well.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Guess what?  NO KITTENS

She doens't even seem to be laboring. 

Im flommexed. 

I jsut came down to feed Wynonna, and she's moved her kittens to a small spot behind the  pool. Actually, I don't know if Wy or Naomi moved them. Naomi wants Wys food, when she has a bowl of her own. 

She still ahs a vet appt today at 2:3 if I think anything is wrong. 

Thaks for the the well wishes!  Keep them coming! 

rescuedfamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has really been giving you quite the roller coaster ride! I can't wait to hear how all of this plays out! I just had my first pregnant foster cat give birth two weeks ago and look in a second (not very far along) yesterday. I am so thankful that Honey's labor/delivery was fast and sweet after hearing your anxious waiting! She appeared to be as large as Naomi is and ended up with 8 kittens. She had the first 5 in less than an hour and ten minutes and then had a more than two hour delay (in which I fell asleep since it was midnight at the 2 hour mark) and when I woke up there were 3 more healthy kittens.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
8??  oh boy.  

my 2 other births this month were super easy. She is the one who confounds me, but seeing her with her daughter last night makes it worth it.  

She's just snuck up on Wy and has stolen 2 kittens.  These 4 will be the best groomed kittens in Connecticut until she gives birth! 

I'd love to see pics of your 8! 

I still have a vet appointment at 2:30 if nothing progresses.   

We shall see!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought you were taking her to the vet today regardless for an ultrasound or x-ray to get a kitten head count?

This mothering that she's doing tells me she's really, really close. I also suspect your cat has gained weight and that she's not all "kittens" with that appetite of hers! Just sayin' ... [emoji]128522[/emoji]

rescuedfamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let us know what they say when you go!

I can't get the one picture I have of her that shows off her belly to load but I do have a picture of the whole litter at about 2-3 days old and I hope to do new pics today now that all eyes are open and they are thriving! There are 5 girls and 3 boys. The 3 buff kittens are the boys. (Their picture is in an Easter basket because they were born on Easter and the shelter wanted something to show that off haha).

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes, I am taking her regardless, unless she;s in full fledge labor!   

She probably has gained weight, too, but Wy is eatnig the same and she's SKINNY

I am separating Wy and Naomi.  They're not fighting, but Naomi keeps stealing the kittens and it's freaking Wy out. So, y will go to the upstairs bathroom for a few days until the new kittens are born. I'm just going to wait until I run out to a dr appointment in case either one of them gets nervous

Last edited:

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they are so precious!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know the news this afternoon after you go! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, 3:30 Eastern time.  i don't know where Wendydelmo is.  I'm as nervous as a first time dad pacing a waiting room...although, they don't do that any more, they're right in there.  I'd hitch hike to her at this point. 

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cried in the waiting room.  I get you. 

kedimama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's 10.30 at night for me, and I, like lots of others on here have been following her journey with lots of anticipation, I hope I hear that her momma has started to have her babies before it bedtime for me otherwise I will have to wait till morning. Somethimes time difference can be hard :lol3:
Hopefully some good news soon.

wendydelmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me, too. And slightly terrified.

rescuedfamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! Who knew one belly could be so full!

While my 8 are not to the active stage in life yet... it's not as terrifying as one woulday think having a good mama. I have only had a max of 4 per litter before (in fact every litter that has need more than a few days that I've had has been 4 kittens).

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited: