They Don't Make That Anymore!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Automobiles that you can repair yourself :frown:
Yeah, but I've honestly found the tradeoff is better, with newer cars being more reliable. It's so nice not having to [expletive] with those starter solenoids in GM cars. Or those "brain boxes" in old Fords.

I can repair mine myself, but then, I spent 40 years as a mechanic, working mostly on heavy equipment, but the principle holds.
I wasn't a mechanic, but I tried. In my younger days I pulled engines from Oldsmbiles and Chevy C20 pickups.

I agree with you there! I am far from a mechanic, but I know a thing or two about cars. I cannot do much physically anymore when it comes to working on them, but I can do some things and tell the mechanic what I think the problem is. I have had three cars in my lifetime, and the last, a Ford Focus, only died 13 years after I got her because an accident which made fixing her too expensive. (Our mechanic's friend bought it from me then the two of them repaired her on the cheap. I love that I get to see her driving around sometimes!) The one issue I had with her was that she ate idler pullies about once every couple of years.

My "new" car is a 2013 Ford Focus that I purchased last year. I can still do/diagnose a lot, but the cursed "tire pressure fault" light has been on for six months. I replaced the tires, but, for some reason, they cannot get the light to go off without replacing something costly. No thanks! I will just check my tires the old way and ignore the light.
Sometimes that's the way it goes.

I have a newer old car, and it's still good, nice and comfy and the air works.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trivia for the day: John Deere (and other brands although I'm not sure exactly which ones) won't let you work on your own tractor. Only licensed John Deere techs are allowed to touch the things. Otherwise it will void any warranties and if someone else messes with the computer, JD can sue them for software violations. Because you don't own the software; you're only leasing it :/. This makes a lot of farmers mad. So they're either buying old tractors with no computers, or they buy off-brands that give them ownership of the software. Since John Deere gets away with it, I imagine it's only a matter of time before car manufacturers do the same.
Those tractors are getting so technical, according to the Wall Street Journal. They're computers on wheels, with blades, sensors, the whole nine yards. I wouldn't want to mess with those, either.

I've gotten used to doing like Der Baron, when the car goes to the shop.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Did someone say dependable cars you can repair yourself ? I believe they are referring to my 1971 VW Super Beetle . ``:)´
Yeah, there's a few still around.

But, would you really want to drive one, in the Land of Hummers, SUVs and Giant Limo Monsters?

I'd be all right, say, in the Orkney Islands where a bug might be the only car on the islands . . . .

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They used to make Heartland Toasted Corn cereal about 40 years ago, and my brother and me couldn't get enough of it. So crunchy, but sweet and good. Then they changed it to "granola" like all the other "health cereals" (a massive misnomer if ever there was one).

But, I cooked up some hominy grits, with some honey and brown sugar and it was Heartland Toasted Corn heaven again, though won't eat a whole box at a sitting. Diabetes gets sooo inconvenient.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick fix for those annoying dash board lights. A inch square of masking tape, which is almost as sticky as it once was, but now has to be replaced bi-annually. Or, if your car leaks, annually.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but I've honestly found the tradeoff is better, with newer cars being more reliable. It's so nice not having to [expletive] with those starter solenoids in GM cars. Or those "brain boxes" in old Fords.

I wasn't a mechanic, but I tried. In my younger days I pulled engines from Oldsmbiles and Chevy C20 pickups.

Sometimes that's the way it goes.

I have a newer old car, and it's still good, nice and comfy and the air works.
The difference between thee and me is that you pulled engines; I pulled engines apart and rebuilt them.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Did someone say dependable cars you can repair yourself ? I believe they are referring to my 1971 VW Super Beetle . ``:)´
I love the 1971 Beetle! I have never driven one but I have been the passenger in one. My only complaint would be that I was not warm enough in the winter.

The difference between thee and me is that you pulled engines; I pulled engines apart and rebuilt them.
The "biggest" job I have done is lap valves in a 1972 Ford LTD Brougham. Other than that, my mechanical stuff I helped my ex-husband replace a couple of motors, but he actually did the fixing part of it.

The nano iPod 5th generation with the click wheel.
My husband has a Zune. I have no idea which one only that it is older and he is worried about what will happen when it stops working. He drives a lot for work and enjoys having audio books.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick fix for those annoying dash board lights. A inch square of masking tape, which is almost as sticky as it once was, but now has to be replaced bi-annually. Or, if your car leaks, annually.
That won't work here in NY. We have an annual inspection, and part of that requires plugging a computer into the diagnostic port under the dash, and if any fault codes are found, the vehicle fails, at least until repairs are made.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That won't work here in NY. We have an annual inspection, and part of that requires plugging a computer into the diagnostic port under the dash, and if any fault codes are found, the vehicle fails, at least until repairs are made.
Which is why, when I lived in Ohio, and they proposed annual inspections a la Pennsylvania, Texas and NY, I went on the warpath and papered the walls of my representatives' offices.

We can still use our sticky tape out in California, though the smog test is a bear.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yeah, I once went to a talk by a guy from out of state. He said "and when you take your car in for it's annual inspection. . ." and everybody looked at him funny. So he asked if we had annual inspections and everybody said no. He said to his wife "honey, don't get into a car with anyone here!", lol. But anyway, yeah, we can drive whatever hunk o' rust we want to drive, as long as it's registered.

On the plus side, emissions tests would get rid of those awful coal rollers. . .

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of all the trucks and trailers we had at the companies I worked for, I held a motor vehicle inspectors license for many years. Also because of our proximity to Canada, I had to be familiar with their requirements as well. I had to go out on the road, once. The state DOT had tagged a truck. When I got there, the DOT guy said there was too much play in the steering wheel. I asked him if he had the engine running when he checked it, and he said no. I started it up, and had him check it again- no more play. He didn't know about that particular system, and that, in a microcosm, is what we put up with here in NY, and why I want to get out.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Illinois doesn't have an annual inspection for all cars, but it does inspect cars over a certain age, I believe 5 years. The inspection for them isn't every year either, but the car does have to pass the emissions test, and they do plug into the computer port to check everything.

I wish they would inspect large trucks. They are the ones filling up the expressways with clouds of black smoke.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was really upset when Boca discontinued its "Boca original vegan veggie burger". They replaced it with some kind of "original turk'y veggie" burger -- it is terrible.

Mr. PushPurr is the main cook in the family, and whenever he didn't want to cook, I could just have that original veggie patty as a quick meal to get me by, in lieu of his yummy meals.

:(
Check and see whether there's an "Adventist Book Center" anywhere near you. Seventh-day Adventists basically invented the veggie burger, and they still sell them in their church-run stores. I don't know what the current brands are, but they do exist.

I hated that warning light on my old Saturn that came on when the gas cap wasn't tight enough. I think it was Get Service Immediately!
That one is extremely common, and the only way to turn it off is to take it in. As soon as the mechanic accesses the computer it figures out that the gas cap really is on tightly (assuming you've taken care of that part of the problem) and turns the light off.

Back in the '80's, we had a big ugly Buick for awhile that could be driven without the key and the damn thing talked. Told us the headlights were on, told us that the key was or wasn't in the ignition, told you the tire pressure was low.
I don't trust a car you can drive without a key, so we sold that thing as fast as we could. :thumbsup:
My late, unlamented (abusive) father-in-law would stick a key in the ignition of his car as soon as he'd bought it and saw the grip off so the key couldn't be removed. :dunno: And I have a friend who wires any car he buys so that it will start without a key. He, however, also installs a button under the dash. If you don't push the button the car will still start, but as soon as you make a left turn it will stall, generally in the middle of an intersection so the cops will end up investigating. Ingenious.

Many years ago I bought two Kohinoor Art Pens. These were wonderful fountain pens. They had a very flexible gold nib, which allowed me to control the width of the line with great precision. I absolutely loved these pens, but when I had the brain tumor I wasn't doing much artwork and they were stored in the basement. After the tumor was removed we had my husband's nephew and the nephew's family staying with us for a year (!) - presumably to take care of me, but they stayed way after they were needed or welcome - and the nephew's wife cleaned by throwing things away. Always my things, for some odd reason. I now have two art pen nib assemblies, two pen holders, and no lids that will screw onto the pen holders over the tips, and Kohinoor no longer makes them. The cheapest I could find on eBay (5 years ago, or thereabouts) was going for $70. When I bought these originally they were something like $15. :argh: There's a whole online community of Kohinoor Art Pen lovers who've lost their favorite pens and are unable to replace them. I finally gave up and ordered one of these: Flexy Nib Calligraphy Fountain Pen, which hasn't arrived yet so I still don't know how good it will be.
Well, the Flexy Nib finally arrived (when I bought it I didn't realize it would be coming all the way from South Korea). It wasn't the color I ordered, but I could cope with that. The nib that was installed was a standard nib; the flexible nib was included in the package but the standard nib had to be removed before it could be installed. So, I Googled "how to change the nib on a fountain pen" and found a YouTube video. It took some grippy shelf liner from the Dollar Store (marvelous stuff!) so that I could grip tightly enough, but I got the old nib out and installed the flexible nib (which had a tighter radius than either the old nib or the assembly it goes on, which made the installation tricky). The nib and nib assembly is so long that it requires a very deep bottle of ink to fill the pen, and even then only about half the ink in the bottle would be usable because the entire thing has to be submerged.

I finally found a bottle of ink and filled the pen and tried it out. Unlike my old Art Pen, this nib has a very sharp point on the tip. When writing with it, that point catches on the paper every time you change direction, resulting in a huge blot of ink. Totally unacceptable. So I figured, okay, I'll remove the flexible nib and replace the old nib; at least I'll have a decent basic fountain pen even if the nib isn't flexible. Nope. Even with grippy stuff I can't get the nib assembly out now - I'm guessing that the tighter radius on the flexible nib is pushing out on the pen holder to make the assembly too tight to remove. I'm going to attempt to return the pen (let them deal with it!), and I've placed a bid on this pen: MONTEVERDE MONZA FOUNTAIN PEN ISLAND BLUE MEDIUM STEEL NIB NEW IN BOX CONVERTER 80333367230 | eBay. I'll know in 3 days, and I'll likely raise my bid if I have any competition. It's available with either a fine point or a medium point nib; if it's any good I'll probably end up getting one of each.

Margret