They Don't Make That Anymore!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever grown attached to using a certain product for years and years and years, only to be faced with the sudden discovery that, when you went to purchase it again, you found out that the company had decided to discontinue it (and without consulting you!)?

I can see why my favorite dish scrubbie, the S.O.S. Tuffy nylon dishwashing pads, are no longer being made (the nylon is bad for the environment/in land fills :paperbag:), but my mom used these while I was growing up and I've used them ever since.
Ack! That is decades worth of Tuffy scrubbie usage! And now they are discontinued!

I know I should try to use something more environmentally-friendly, but I am finding myself looking for other nylon scrubbies (like a Scotch-Brite brand). It will be a slow transition to a finding a more environmental item that does as good of a job as those Tuffy nylon pads.

How about you? What discontinued items do you miss? How did you find out about them, that they were no longer being made? And did you contact the company to "yell" at them about their decision?!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cosmetic companies change their makeup lines continuously. I hate this because then I have to try out several other brands before I find one that suits my skin tone, which is expensive. To make it worse, the new ones always cost more than the old ones.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I totally agree with DreamerRose DreamerRose about the cosmetics, and shampoo/lotions (and cat food) …
Similarly to you, I'll go to re-purchase and it's gone, or is in the process of becoming extremely difficult to find...

One in particular; since I'm too scared to buy pyrex glass baking pans any longer, I found some oven-proof "plastic" baking pans with lids. They work beautifully although they don't last forever (which is fine by me).

I decided to obtain a few more and had to hunt around and hurry to snap up what I could find, because I think/assume too many people didn't understand that the lids aren't oven-proof. That apparently caused some chaos, and in any case the company has stopped making that line of pans.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am seeing the disappearing act with Splenda and Stevia. What's with this? I am totally dependent on these sugar substitutes, but they are getting harder and harder to find. I bought the last bag of Stevia in the store last week and there was no Splenda at all.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Avon had this face cream that was the only one to not make me break out or have a heavy perfumey smell or oily texture. It comes in a light green oval shaped container.. Thank goodness for ebay because I have been buying up the several I find several times a year. Jon loves this cream-he's blonde and dry skin, I finally got him out of using vitamin E on his face because it leaves an oily residue. Neither one of us can use heavily scented items other Than Dove soap.

I also noticed they discontinued Pert Plus for Oily hair. Now they only have 2 types and it's not the same. It's the only one that doesn't make my scalp crawl. I can't use expensive salon shampoes-they make my scalp feel like it's on fire-probably from the fragrance stuff in it.

Lotion=Cu-rel has this sensitive skin cream that the new lotion is watery and grouse. The bottle at the house is the thicker smoother version-the new bottle at work is watered down and feels like Vaseline Lotion brands-watery and oily, hard to explain.

I switched to that oatmeal cream but I don't like the smell. It seems the labeling has gotten away from listing exactly is in the bottle and they now use vague names or say and/or so it's a trial! I wish they would stop changing the formations of beauty products!

Bars of soap keep getting smaller, crackers in the sleeve are shorter now..candy bars are smaller and more expensive.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cosmetic companies change their makeup lines continuously. I hate this because then I have to try out several other brands before I find one that suits my skin tone, which is expensive. To make it worse, the new ones always cost more than the old ones.
It is kind of like bait and switch. Try this one and if you love it try this new more expensive one!

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with DreamerRose DreamerRose about the cosmetics, and shampoo/lotions (and cat food) …
Similarly to you, I'll go to re-purchase and it's gone, or is in the process of becoming extremely difficult to find...

One in particular; since I'm too scared to buy pyrex glass baking pans any longer, I found some oven-proof "plastic" baking pans with lids. They work beautifully although they don't last forever (which is fine by me).

I decided to obtain a few more and had to hunt around and hurry to snap up what I could find, because I think/assume too many people didn't understand that the lids aren't oven-proof. That apparently caused some chaos, and in any case the company has stopped making that line of pans.
I did not get the memo - we can't use Pyrex anymore? What happened?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
This isn't a thread hijack, but sort of a "they don't make that the right way anymore".
I forget the details/what the glass is called, but pyrex is being made with a type of glass that shatters a lot more easily.

I'm being extra careful with the couple pans that I do have, (I don't know for certain the year they were made although they're probably pre-2004 I think), to be sure to have a dry towel on the counter when I'm removing the pan from the oven.

Three Years Later: Pyrex Dishes Still Go Boom
Glass Tables and Pyrex Shattering

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a few years I pretty much lived on breakfast cold cereals and it seems like they get discontinued at the drop of a hat.
Some of these I never tried (mostly 90's on).
Try not to picture a younger version of me buying Mr. T cereal in bulk. It was not the best part of my life. (I pity 'da foo'!)
https://grub.gunaxin.com/a-tribute-to-discontinued-cereals/11570

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am seeing the disappearing act with Splenda and Stevia. What's with this? I am totally dependent on these sugar substitutes, but they are getting harder and harder to find. I bought the last bag of Stevia in the store last week and there was no Splenda at all.[/QU
Have you ever tried sucralose?I have never been a fan of stevia or splenda,but discovered sucralose as an ingredient in a fruit flavored drink I love.I happened to find it at the local grocery store in packets and am a happy camper!It doesn't leave an after taste to me.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Nano Ipod 7. I'm a chronic ipod/audiobook person and love my little nano.. I can tuck it down my bra and off I go. :D Trouble is, now if it doesn't connect to the internet, they don't make it.
I bought a second hand one recently so I have one up my sleeve (or down my bra.. ) as my old one is losing its LED screen. Good ones are really expensive... much more than their original price :(

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am seeing the disappearing act with Splenda and Stevia. What's with this? I am totally dependent on these sugar substitutes, but they are getting harder and harder to find. I bought the last bag of Stevia in the store last week and there was no Splenda at all.
I don't use Splenda; but I love Stevia. Not, however, the kind they sell in the grocery store. I found one brand in the grocery store that was sweet without a bitter aftertaste, and it was way overpriced. I get my Stevia from a health food store. The best brand seems to be Now Better Stevia. If you can't find a local store that carries it, it's widely available online.
Many years ago I bought two Kohinoor Art Pens. These were wonderful fountain pens. They had a very flexible gold nib, which allowed me to control the width of the line with great precision. I absolutely loved these pens, but when I had the brain tumor I wasn't doing much artwork and they were stored in the basement. After the tumor was removed we had my husband's nephew and the nephew's family staying with us for a year (!) - presumably to take care of me, but they stayed way after they were needed or welcome - and the nephew's wife cleaned by throwing things away. Always my things, for some odd reason. I now have two art pen nib assemblies, two pen holders, and no lids that will screw onto the pen holders over the tips, and Kohinoor no longer makes them. The cheapest I could find on eBay (5 years ago, or thereabouts) was going for $70. When I bought these originally they were something like $15. :argh: There's a whole online community of Kohinoor Art Pen lovers who've lost their favorite pens and are unable to replace them. I finally gave up and ordered one of these: Flexy Nib Calligraphy Fountain Pen, which hasn't arrived yet so I still don't know how good it will be.

Margret

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stumbled upon some towels once a long time ago that I use every single day, and of course they were discontinued and I can't find anything else like them anywhere.

They are (were) made by Hanes and were specifically branded as a 'hair towel', meaning they are for those of us with long hair that wrap it up after a shower. They have a bit of elastic in the edging, so that they stretch around your head, and keep the towel from falling off. Brilliant, really. They are much larger than the 'Turbie Towel' type things, which I need because I have lots of hair.

Anyway, I stumbled across them at Walmart years ago. Right about the time I decided it was time to buy some new ones as mine were getting raggedy, they stopped making them. I haven't been able to find any since. So I guess I will just keep using these until they literally fall apart.