The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a heated water dish for the community cats- and the raccoons and opossums that come around, too. I even installed a weatherproof electrical outlet to plug it in to. Several times it has gone below zero air temp, and the dish hasn't frozen yet..

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Man it's cold out there. But not a cold as it was last night. I told the cats to go somewhere warm and Tourmaline wasted no time running across the street to the heated chicken house. No worries she won't hurt the chickens. She doesn't like the taste of chicken anyway. Treasure ran into his little shelter and I did a temporary setup of the cam as well as one of the shelters, albeit not the best. Tomorrow we're having a heat wave of 30 degrees so I may be able to do a bit more. The water keeps freezing on these cats and they go looking for water in the middle of the night.
Do you have a heating element for their water? I use a concrete birdbath top and a small round heater that sits at the bottom. Keeps the water from freezing ever at -20

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those awful phrases that I kept hearing during the install? "This isn't going well," etc? Yeah, I was right to not like them.

My life currently revolves around soaking up water from my hallway before it seeps under the bedroom door and constantly replacing soaked towels with dry ones. I need a shower, but I'm out of clean, dry towels.

We've had maintenance by. They're gonna make the install company come back tomorrow to fix whatever they screwed up. I told the maintenance guy what they were saying and he said, "so they just jerry rigged it together, then? Good to know, cuz they charge by the hour."

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing we do in cold weather is we leave their dry food out all night so they can feed whenever. I built an enclosed feeding station to keep snow or rain off of the food, but normally only leave it out during daylight hours. Food equals energy, and energy equals body heat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing we do in cold weather is we leave their dry food out all night so they can feed whenever. I built an enclosed feeding station to keep snow or rain off of the food, but normally only leave it out during daylight hours. Food equals energy, and energy equals body heat.
What about water if no outlets? I’m scared to use hot hands as there are no burn units for cats

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about water if no outlets? I’m scared to use hot hands as there are no burn units for cats
Is there some way to insulate around the outside of the water dish? You want to minimize heat loss by reducing the surface area exposed to the cold. If you had a hollow plastic dish, you could place the hot hands beneath it to better contain the heat and keep it away from the cats at the same time. By the way, they don't get that hot- I had them inside my gloves while shovelling snow today, and no burns on me..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Hot Hands don't get that hot, I've shoved them in my gloves and they still didn't burn, although I have had them get to an uncomfortable temp while in a pocket. They definitely can't get hot enough to require a burn unit though ;). And especially not if put on the bottom or sides of of a water dish. I think there are insulated dishes that will keep it unfrozen overnight if you put warm water in. Anyway if you can't do that they'll still be fine as long as you offer water at least 3 times a day.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Red fox visit last night. I wish I had starlight sensor on my cam to see fully. Poor baby was hungry. Onyx ate nearby while Tourmaline watched both from her cat tent. I’m always in awwe of how wildlife cooperates withe each other. Even the coyotes here don’t bother the cats because of plentiful pet food from all the feral colonies in this area.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Red fox visit last night. I wish I had starlight sensor on my cam to see fully. Poor baby was hungry. Onyx ate nearby while Tourmaline watched both from her cat tent. I’m always in awwe of how wildlife cooperates withe each other. Even the coyotes here don’t bother the cats because of plentiful pet food from all the feral colonies in this area.
However cats can tear the packets apart which are toxic.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea you would think that would be enough for them to do something. The cops are going on, he didn't take anything. He looked like he was just relaxing, he even looked respectful of the property. Well that doesn't set well with me. And I really have to think of a way to resolve this or my Mom will for sure have a heart attack (not figuratively but for real). The one thing off my mind is that the cats will take off the minute they sense something. Still unnerving though, even though this guy did nothing but trespass. I'm going to post the videos to Next Door and see if anyone recognizes the man or if they had a similar experience. I really don't understand how people can just turn their backs on a very dangerous situation. Is this now the age of "I don't care as long as it's not me." ?
I hate to think so but it sure seems that way. Goes along with the mind set 'I got mine and the heck witheveryone else' :cloudy:Not how I was brought up :headshake: Around here unless you have a 'No Trespassing' sign in place the Police legally can't do anything.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
However cats can tear the packets apart which are toxic.
Not like "a drop of poison" toxic. They can cause iron toxicity if enough of it is eaten. I really don't think cats will eat enough to be harmful (if any); they won't snork them down like dogs might. I can't find any cases of cats eating them anyway. There are case studies for dogs and elderly people but not cats.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, this is the feeding station that I built for the community cats. It is big enough that they can get inside for shelter from rain, snow, or sun.View attachment 369408
That looks cool. I wish I didn't have limited mobility or I would do the same. I don't even have old pieces of furniture to use although that would definitely be an improvement on what I do have.

But with the red fox visitor again the packets very well could be torn and ingested by the fox. Sorry I messed up with these cats as well as Pepper and Harley. I won't be responsible for sickness or worse with the cats. I need to find a non electric non hot hands version.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they do have these, I'm sure they wouldn't put anything toxic in them:
SnuggleSafe Microwave Heat Pad
I bought some of these last year. It may be tricky to use outside because they lose their warmth when a cat is not laying on them. They never seemed to stay warm, but then I tried them under the covers with me near my feet and they would still be warm when I woke up. And once the kitties figured them out, too, with them laying on them more they stayed warm for longer.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some of these last year. It may be tricky to use outside because they lose their warmth when a cat is not laying on them. They never seemed to stay warm, but then I tried them under the covers with me near my feet and they would still be warm when I woke up. And once the kitties figured them out, too, with them laying on them more they stayed warm for longer.
What about the usb rechargeable hand warmers? I haven't tried them outside but what if I get a small styrofoam box (I have pieces to make some with and put the rechargeable hand warmers in. At least for the night time. During the day I'm up and can run in and out with fresh water if needed. I have two that I bought for myself that I most likely won't need at the moment. Even if I trusted the hot hands they are expensive as only a one time use

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would work, especially if you made a cover for the box with a hole just big enough for the water dish to fit in. That way, all the heat would go to the dish and not be lost to the air. Just put the hand warmers in a plastic bag beneath the dish.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That would work, especially if you made a cover for the box with a hole just big enough for the water dish to fit in. That way, all the heat would go to the dish and not be lost to the air. Just put the hand warmers in a plastic bag beneath the dish.
Thanks. I'll test it out here and see how it will work or at what point the plastic bag melts. There are 3 settings to the hand warmers and the hottest can be hot but may not be so hot outside. I'll get going on that today.

Status
Not open for further replies.