The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie There is no hurry especially if your DMV is closed now. 🌍 :silver: :)
Thanks. This is actually for a summer field job I am supposed to start on May 25th. I just graduated with a wildlife biology degree and excited to start a job in the field, although the last two summers I also was paid for field work. I've accepted, but need to get fingerprinted before being officially hired and I would need to travel ~14 hours to get there once I find housing out there. It worries me with the current circumstances to make the move, etc. and not having anyone out there to help me or care for my cats if I were to get sick... If this pandemic was not happening, it wouldn't be a problem. Last summer I was offered a job and then in about a week and a half went there, which was just a few hours closer than my current accepted position. Although, the drive was much longer as I was driving from where school was in NC and drove out to ND. I'm in IL now where my permanent resident is. Although, if I need to self-quarantine for 2 weeks once I arrive, I wouldn't be able to start on time anyway with moving time and waiting for finger printing results...

I'm still looking for and applying for remote (work from home) data entry and research jobs, close to home jobs, and full time jobs with benefits. Probably submitted at least 10 applications in the past couple of weeks. Only heard back from one. Position posted on May 1, I sent application on May 3, and I received an e-mail that night saying the position was already filled. It was a work from home data entry. Pay was low at only $10/hour, but figured since I could work from home and wouldn't be paying rent it would be worth it. Oh well, will keep looking.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. This is actually for a summer field job I am supposed to start on May 25th. I just graduated with a wildlife biology degree and excited to start a job in the field, although the last two summers I also was paid for field work. I've accepted, but need to get fingerprinted before being officially hired and I would need to travel ~14 hours to get there once I find housing out there. It worries me with the current circumstances to make the move, etc. and not having anyone out there to help me or care for my cats if I were to get sick... If this pandemic was not happening, it wouldn't be a problem. Last summer I was offered a job and then in about a week and a half went there, which was just a few hours closer than my current accepted position. Although, the drive was much longer as I was driving from where school was in NC and drove out to ND. I'm in IL now where my permanent resident is. Although, if I need to self-quarantine for 2 weeks once I arrive, I wouldn't be able to start on anyway with moving time and waiting for finger printing results...

I'm still looking for and applying for remote (work from home) data entry and research jobs, close to home jobs, and full time jobs with benefits. Probably submitted at least 10 applications in the past couple of weeks. Only heard back from one. Position posted on May 1, I sent application on May 3, and I received an e-mail that night saying the position was already filled. It was a work from home data entry. Pay was low at only $10/hour, but figured since I could work from home and wouldn't be paying rent it would be worth it. Oh well, will keep looking.
W WillowMarie so you already have fingerprints then, do I have that correct in my mind? This job sounds so very interesting. Darn Covid 19 is so scary, makes many roadblocks and fear. So fantastic to work from home. Good luck with your search. I sure wish mean virus would hurry up and get contained it scares me a great deal. I have not been back to regular job for awhile due to said virus. So I am working more at my home on other wanted projects. I do not think I will return to former job, now high-risk job. ♥ :silver: 🌺:sunshine:🤗🌹🌻🌷

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie so you already have fingerprints then, do I have that correct in my mind? This job sounds so very interesting. Darn Covid 19 is so scary, makes many roadblocks and fear. So fantastic to work from home. Good luck with your search. I sure wish mean virus would hurry up and get contained it scares me a great deal. I have not been back to regular job for awhile due to said virus. So I am working more at my home on other wanted projects. I do not think I will return to former job, now high-risk job. ♥ :silver: 🌺:sunshine:🤗🌹🌻🌷
No fingerprints done yet. Local police department is not doing them because of virus. They want me to go to ND, but it would be problematic because I won't have an official job offer until I do get fingerprinted...

Yea, it has been crazy lately because of covid 19. While I would love things to go back to normal, I worry many places are rushing to open. Time will tell.

May I ask what your former job was? What projects have you had the chance to work on while you're at home?

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No fingerprints done yet. Local police department is not doing them because of virus. They want me to go to ND, but it would be problematic because I won't have an official job offer until I do get fingerprinted...

Yea, it has been crazy lately because of covid 19. While I would love things to go back to normal, I worry many places are rushing to open. Time will tell.

May I ask what your former job was? What projects have you had the chance to work on while you're at home?
W WillowMarie my DMV is still closed, but most businesses have opened in my town. I too share the fear of things opening too rapidly with not enough sensitivity to others (let alone themselves). My former job was therapist in elder facility. My projects are so many, but I also have degree in Fine Arts, am professional artist, writer, and landscape design. Thank you so very much for your kind interest in what I have done, and am now doing. 🌺 :silver: 🌻:sunshine:♥

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Stuck on Living In a Ghost Town by the Rolling Stones I'm wondering how 4 men pushing 80 years old look and sound younger than I do at 64 almost 65 years old especially with the lives these 4 led. Heck, wondering how these 4 still sound as good at their current age as they did when they first appeared on Ed Sullivan in the 60s

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W WillowMarie my DMV is still closed, but most businesses have opened in my town. I too share the fear of things opening too rapidly with not enough sensitivity to others (let alone themselves). My former job was therapist in elder facility. My projects are so many, but I also have degree in Fine Arts, am professional artist, writer, and landscape design. Thank you so very much for your kind interest in what I have done, and am now doing. 🌺 :silver: 🌻:sunshine:♥
Stay safe <3 how neat on your past job. Yes, that is definitely a high risk job right now. I almost went to school for psychology a couple times. I still read a lot of psychology books. How did you get into it, and especially with a focus on elderly populations?

I bet you have a beautiful yard as a landscaper. Have any pics to share??? :)

What kind of art and writing do you do?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking about starting some container gardening for vegetables. Would be outside. Anybody have any recommendations on plants and supplies to start with? There are 4 large pots here, maybe 2 gallons big each.

Also, I still have a large amount of bird seed I brought back from my rental and would like to set up a bird feeder. There are not really any good hooks or strong enough trees to have it and would love to have one outside the windows in the back yard. Either under the porch or just past the porch. Not sure if my mom would like me to put nails in any of the wood supports of the porch.

Any recommendations on secure poles to place a feeder? Or maybe material, like wire or rope, that would be strong that I could tie around or between two posts to hang the feeder?

What type of bird feeders have you all been happy with quality-wise and not too pricey? I'll be using black oil sunflower seeds.

Furballsmom Furballsmom I know you love birds, if you have any input :) :banana1:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
A bird feeder is such a great idea! I haven't been able to do anything like that in a while because the house sparrows have taken over.

We used to have blue jays, cardinals, and all types of northern birds but the house sparrows most likely killed them off and took their nest away. They are invasive here in North America so I haven't been able to enjoy the other birds actually native to this area.

W WillowMarie - I don't know what it's like in your area but that is something to keep in mind I guess. Sorry if that wasn't helpful.

Also, there has been a spike here in Ontario since stuff has started opening up again which I guess is expected? I'm not the least bit surprised. AND, now, when I go to the grocery store or any store in general, people aren't wearing mask anymore! It's so shocking to me. The last few times I've gone out, hardly anyone had their mask on in stores. I also saw a lady blowing her nose in the grocery store (no gloves) and the tissue was thin...

Last edited:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stay safe <3 how neat on your past job. Yes, that is definitely a high risk job right now. I almost went to school for psychology a couple times. I still read a lot of psychology books. How did you get into it, and especially with a focus on elderly populations?

I bet you have a beautiful yard as a landscaper. Have any pics to share??? :)

What kind of art and writing do you do?
W WillowMarie psychology is such an interesting subject, and so full of fascination and ways to cope, to help, to understand ourselves and others as human beings. My focus on the elderly is because I revere them so much, because so much was here when I got here, and because they deserve to be honored. When I was working on degree in Fine Arts, elderly folks were showing pictures they had created depicting how they were considered the "throwaway society". Well, I call them the beautiful society, the silver tsunami, the very wise society that wants to continue to give, to live while being respected. I have a great deal of devotion and love for the elderly. Some people do not honor them and it is wrong not to. They gave such a great deal. I have pictures, photography, oil paintings, watercolor paintings and every other medium you can think of. I wish I was computer savvy enough to share but do not (yet) have a way to do so. It is probably so obvious to everyone that I am relatively new to computer but I am a fast learner and I appreciate all of those tips many have told me how to utilize tool (computer) better. Especially now with Covid 19 it is so important to physically distance selves from others but very harmful to socially distance. This site is particularly lovely and I appreciate it a great deal. My yard I am told almost every day now that it is so beautiful and I am so happy I can make others feel happy in this way. Thank you for your interest. One day I will be able to post pictures, of that I am sure. I so appreciate the pictures others post. I appreciate you and your interest. You are so very kind and smart. Thank you. 🌺 :silver:♥🌻🌎 Stay safe.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
W WillowMarie the only bird I can feed is the hummies, because although there's one type of seed feeder that spins when a squirrel gets onto it which I likely would use, my partner thinks it's mean to the squirrels...;)

The first part of this could be useful as it includes info about the types of feeders that work...

For plants, find out what growing zone you're in (for example Denver is zone 5), and then which veggies work in pots :)

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
segelkatt that is so good now you can call when you need help. I used to have a throwaway phone for emergency only but then I ended up chit chatting with my sister now & then until only 5 minutes left on it. Then I saw a homeless person who looked like they needed it more than me so I gave it away. That homeless person was so grateful, and it gave me joy to be able to give. I have not purchased another, my husband has one if I am out on the road with him. If I am out walking I've thought I should probably purchase another throwaway phone specifically for times I may need to call him for help because with Covid 19 I really do not want to knock on anybodies door to ask for use of their phone. Thanks for putting this thought back in my mind. I think I will go buy another throw away phone. 🌺 :)
However, have you thought how many of those throwaway phones are in the landfill or do you recycle everything? I have now had a cellphone for over 15 years and my older daughter gifted me with an old I-phone 2 years ago so I can send pictures and send and receive messages. I did not think I would like all that but have found it to be really nice.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
We need to stop calling this "social distancing" as that is the last thing we need right now. We need "physical distancing". So call somebody, send a message, write a letter, send a card. Be well, stay healthy, stay home if you can and wear a good mask if you can't, wash your hands with soap for as long as it takes you to sing "happy birthday" twice. Stop cutting down all those trees in Canada to make Charmin toilet paper (they use NO recycled paper there as some others do) and get a bidet instead like the rest of the civilized world uses.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A bird feeder is such a great idea! I haven't been able to do anything like that in a while because the house sparrows have taken over.

We used to have blue jays, cardinals, and all types of northern birds but the house sparrows most likely killed them off and took their nest away. They are invasive here in North America so I haven't been able to enjoy the other birds actually native to this area.

W WillowMarie - I don't know what it's like in your area but that is something to keep in mind I guess. Sorry if that wasn't helpful.

Also, there has been a spike here in Ontario since stuff has started opening up again which I guess is expected? I'm not the least bit surprised. AND, now, when I go to the grocery store or any store in general, people aren't wearing mask anymore! It's so shocking to me. The last few times I've gone out, hardly anyone had their mask on in stores. I also saw a lady blowing her nose in the grocery store (no gloves) and the tissue was thin...
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily there are spikes most places, yikes what you described about no masks and nose blowing it gives me fear. Probably won't ever get rid of hideous virus if people do not comply with rules. As I heard today from friend, common sense is not very common. W WillowMarie when my spouse takes the cockatiels cages outside to clean them the free birds will congregate at that spot and get the leftover seeds. My hummingbird feeder competes with flowers but my beautiful Cat loves to watch all birds from her window perch.
However, have you thought how many of those throwaway phones are in the landfill or do you recycle everything? I have now had a cellphone for over 15 years and my older daughter gifted me with an old I-phone 2 years ago so I can send pictures and send and receive messages. I did not think I would like all that but have found it to be really nice.
segelkatt segelkatt I do recycle everything. For those who do not take the time to recycle in my town everything is put on conveyor belt and recyclables taken out. I am an environmentalist. I still do not want a cell phone. I will probably buy another throw away phone and when and if I ever throw it away I will put it in the recycle bin. Even batteries we have a special way to get rid of-put in plastic bag and close plastic bag with tape and put it in regular garbage bin. This is what I inquired about decades ago to the disposal system in my town. 🌎 :silver:🌻♥🌺

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
now, when I go to the grocery store or any store in general, people aren't wearing mask anymore!
Are the masks mandatory anymore? I have a dentist appointment June 2nd. I'm wondering if I should keep it? I postponed my regular doctor appointment to July. I'll get my right leg X-rayed then if it isn't healed.

my partner thinks it's mean to the squirrels
Oh, he sounds so sweet! A kindred spirit. My dad thinks of elaborate ways to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders. It makes me sad too.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi - I'm not sure, people heard that places were opening back up so they just stopped wearing mask I guess... Everywhere I go, I see people close to each other socializing. Even in the store. The employees keep enforcing the 6ft apart rule but people don't seem to care. I've even seen people taking their mask off to talk to people around them. I don't get it.

I still wear it. It's like when summer starts to roll around and people burn their winter jackets in a fire (not literally, being sarcastic). I rather have my winter jacket in case the weather changes on me.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a very stiff fine (up to $1000) in my town for not wearing masks. Some people are racking up a lot of fines, but most are compliant with the law. This really is just common sense. We cannot become complacent about this virus. Even the guy in the White house is not in compliance with his own recommendation. He says White house is the safest place on earth. Well, HE can get as much rubbing alcohol 70% as he wants and yet there is still Covid 19 in "safest place". I am sure he does not do any of the cleaning either. We MUST GET USED to the NEW NORMAL, challenging as it is. Or we will never get rid of it....so sad, so much I am an activist in contacting my state governor to ask, communicate to guy in White house to force companies to make it. I was tempted to swipe a bottle of alcohol from my doc because he can get as much as he wants. Please I implore y'all to contact your state governors by email, snail mail, telephone or any other way about all suggestions and advice. Complacency is going to kill so many good honorable people. Those insensitive, rude, and wreckless people are indirect murderers. O for the love of all, God help us; help us to help ourselves. ♥ :silver: 🌎:sunshine:🌺

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some stores require masks---Costco and Menard's do. Walmart "strongly recommends" customers wear masks but doesn't require it. It's a good idea to wear a mask; keep in mind that the danger hasn't passed, we just got tired of lockdown.

Dentists and other close-up jobs will have their protocols to try to protect everyone, so it should be safe, or as safe as anything can be. I would guess the dentist and hygienists will be wearing masks and face shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.