The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's only part time and he'll make around $1000 a month gross (somewhere around $750 bring home), but, he's got classes 4 days a week and he's still living here. So if he saves some, this will help with spring semester fees.
That's all to the good, kashmir64 kashmir64 and it's experience, as well as being in the field he wants to be in.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's amazing! I just found out that I have an internship already waiting for me in outpatient chemical dependency if I want it next year once my social work program starts the internship section.

I just had to teach someone today how to boil water for catnip tea (we both use it for controlling anxiety; and it works better than normal OTC drugs for us). I hope she gets as addicted to the stuff as I am! Tea is amazing and there is nothing like curling up with a hot cuppa on a cool evening with a good book.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9:23 Sat nite sitting in rhe Grandstand at the Illinois State Fair waiting for the band Bad Company to take the stage. Foghat just finished. We are in the doghouse with Gypsy for leaving her alone so much today. I'll be doing lots of kowtowing tomorrow.
I heard Paul Rogers was taking lead for Queen. Which is just ludicrous. Not Paul Rogers, but trying to take Freddie Mercury's place. I guess he went back to Bad Company.
Those are two bands I never did see. Hope you enjoyed them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was in Dollar Tree last week and they are already putting the Halloween stuff. I grumbled about it but went on with my day.

Thursday night I went into WalMart and what do they have out? Christmas ornaments. Today is the first day of school here in Florida.

WHY are Halloween and Christmas stuff out NOW? It's getting earlier every year. Are they eventually going to just leave it out year round? :rolleyes2:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in Dollar Tree last week and they are already putting the Halloween stuff. I grumbled about it but went on with my day.

Thursday night I went into WalMart and what do they have out? Christmas ornaments. Today is the first day of school here in Florida.

WHY are Halloween and Christmas stuff out NOW? It's getting earlier every year. Are they eventually going to just leave it out year round? :rolleyes2:
I've been noticing this in Canada too. Last year, they started playing Christmas music in late October to early November.

At this point, my cousin just leaves her Christmas tree up year round. She hasn't taken it down in years.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been noticing this in Canada too. Last year, they started playing Christmas music in late October to early November.

At this point, my cousin just leaves her Christmas tree up year round. She hasn't taken it down in years.
Here there are radio stations that start the 24/7 Christmas music on 11/1. Even the most die hard holiday fan must get burned out by the time the holiday rolls around. Personally, I think December 1 should be the earliest they play that stuff. I don't listen to regular radio so I don't hear it unless I want to- which is never.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, are you just grousing, or really asking? If the former, ignore the rest of this. The reason that Christmas stuff is out earlier every year is that people's disposable income is slowly (or quickly) going down, meaning that it takes a very healthy income, indeed, to be able to wait until after Thanksgiving to start Christmas shopping, and that includes decorations. MOST of us have to do a few dollars at a time, and the extra time to shop, while annoying in some ways, is a blessing.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, are you just grousing, or really asking? If the former, ignore the rest of this. The reason that Christmas stuff is out earlier every year is that people's disposable income is slowly (or quickly) going down, meaning that it takes a very healthy income, indeed, to be able to wait until after Thanksgiving to start Christmas shopping, and that includes decorations. MOST of us have to do a few dollars at a time, and the extra time to shop, while annoying in some ways, is a blessing.
Interesting observation! I hadn't heard this before.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, IMO, it's just greed on the part of the retailers. Plain and simple. The longer the stuff is out, the more people will buy because, "It might not be there next week". They are not taking people's budgets into consideration. They don't care.

If the issue is less disposable income, the solution is to buy decorations after the holiday when they are discounted then stash it for next year. Same with wrapping paper, bows, boxed cards, etc. We always did that, DH liked that more than the holiday itself. We hit EVERY store for stuff. Walmart, Target, Kmart, Michaels, Walgreens, you name it. We got a $400 tree for like $50 at Michaels after Christmas.

I still have that big behemoth tree. I think we bought it about 15 years ago. Unfortunately, there's no way I can lug that big box by myself and even if I could, Sophie would destroy it in no time. So in the shed it sits.

He was even worse with after Halloween shopping. That was an obsession.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really miss @maggiedemi. My mind has been on her constantly and I've noticed that I keep checking the list of users online, hoping her name pops up. And every time I see @maggie101, my heart skips a little but then I realize that it's not her. :(
I'm with you on that one.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They want my son to come back on Thurs. Unfortunately, the case manager position is filled, but they have another position at this branch (forgot the name of the position). They want him to come back and see how things run and if he'll be a good fit.
He said that there were 3 people in the interview and they were discussing where they wanted him the most. I'm glad he just kept his mouth shut and let them argue it out. After Thurs. he'll know for sure if he got hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.