The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 I hope your son gets the job.
segelkatt segelkatt Thinking about you out there in Reno, hope things are going well
and your ankle is on the mend.

Rainy and bleak here today but I have good books and amazing tomatoes to eat!
My Heirloom plant is not going to make it. Nicole said I should've planted it where
I would've had more sun but the Cherry plant turned out well.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Could have been anything, including a noise outside that you didn't hear.

Alicia88 Alicia88 , HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

segelkatt segelkatt , hope you are settled in soon, and as for your landlord...SIC 'EM! I hate landlords who assume we don't know the law and try to take advantage. Bet he wouldn't have done that with a 40-year-old man!

It's getting better and I am starting to get around without getting lost. Most of the time I walk around without the boot but the ankle still swells up and starts to hurt. I'm still getting out of breath because of the difference in altitude and my car does not like it either but we will both adjust pretty soon.Going from 300 ft to almost 5,000 is no small feat. I have lost some more weight because I don't feel like eating or feel full after just 2 or 3 bites and I never feel hungry. I don't mind losing a few more lbs but it should be more gradually, however, if I make myself eat then I just feel more miserable. I spend a lot of time on my bed reading with kitties smooshed up against me.
Last night I put a different warmer blanket on my bed as the night before the small one I had kept sliding off the bed and then I got cold, 50s at night just does not cut it although temps will go up to 90 again today, thank goodness the wind blows all the time. So I slept very comfortably last night with the window open to cool the room off but my warm big blanket kept me warm when the temps plunged and it did not slide off the bed either.
I have consulted with my DIL regarding areas that are good and relatively inexpensive to live. This is a university town and anything close to UNR is a dump with high rents. So she said to check out places a little farther north which is still Reno but not considered "proper Reno" but more like suburbs with names of their own like "Stead" or "Sun Valley" but only 10 miles from downtown Reno and thus close to everything, particularly to someone from SoCal who is used to travel much longer distances to everywhere. But right now I will just have to save up money to get a new place of my own. My storage is $250 a month and I am paying off my credit cards as fast as I can as I certainly do not want to be strapped for money like I have been the last year when my landlord raised the rent $200. I am not a burden on my family as far as food is concerned as I brought a big freezer full of meat and veggies with me and I do the cooking which is pretty difficult as my DIL and her son are pretty picky on their food, not liking this and that, particularly veggies and fruit. Coming from SoCal I find this to be strange as I eat lots of those and most people I know do too. Here it is steak and potatoes, tacos, enchiladas, sandwiches, junk food. I see masses of tattooed and really overweight people, or really skinny ones that seem to never get enough food, not in good physical shape and many walk around looking frumpy or sloppy. I'm no clothes horse but I like to be pulled together and neat with my clothes fitting and clean no matter where I go, even just to get gas or the drug store.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily and kashmir64 kashmir64 Definitely with you both on maggiedemi! COME BACK, PLEASE!!! And hope it all works out just as your son (and you) want(s), kashmir64.
segelkatt segelkatt Yeah, it'll take some time to acclimatize. Learning about high-altitude living was something I had to do, too, going from L.A. Metro to 4,100 ft. And deserts do have a much wider range of temperatures, but you'll probably love the area in time -- it is very beautiful. So true about the dietary preferences! That's how it was in the Mojave, too -- a lot of VERY overweight people, not too many skinny or "normal" ones, and the few restaurants around reflected that, as did the supermarket. LOTS of meat and potatoes! Hard for me, an almost-vegan, to adjust, but I found good things and really miss Stater's now. I love tacos and sandwiches, but make them vegetarian. Black bean tacos with all the vegetables and salsa are my favorite! And I'm with you on the personal appearance thing -- it reflects a person's self-respect and gives a better first impression when we are clean and wear attractive clothes. Everyone has his/her own style, which is what it is -- but I'd steer clear of people who obviously don't care about themselves, because you have to love yourself before you can love (or respect) anyone else! Cats spend so much time washing and grooming -- just one of many reasons they are the BEST!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the only areas where the majority of people are skinny is SoCal, some parts of Colorado, and maybe NYC. Otherwise, well, over 70% of Americans are overweight (40% clinically obese) so that's what you're going to see.

And don't be too judgy about appearances. Some people (including me) can't be bothered to worry about what other people consider frumpy or sloppy. I have better things to spend my life on.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three things I learned real quick when I made the move from Phoenix to a 5700 ft elevation.
I couldn't get air in my lungs for about 3-4 months until I acclimated to the thinner air. I had to take breaks just to breathe.
The sun is brutal. Between being closer and no pollution, you will burn easily. I never burned a day in my life until I moved up here, and I tubed down the river in my youth.
High elevation cooking. Longer times to cook things and have to add more flour to a baking recipe.

Glad you are settling in and are healing segelkatt segelkatt .

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last month or so I've been checking out independent living in retirement communities. The one I've decided on is beautiful, has all the things I need ( like transportation since I can no longer drive ), and allows pets! Unfortunately Chicqui won't be able to go outside unless she's on a leash, and she has never walked on one. There is a screened and glass enclosed patio so at least she can get some fresh air and look out the windows. A big adjustment for a kitty who's always used a doggy door to go out in the back yard. I think there is going to be a lot of complaining, judging from the yowling when she can't go out now at night.

My house goes on the market this Friday. I will move to the new apartment no later than Sept. 30th even if the house hasn't sold by then. There's a big discount on the move in cost that ends then. The apartment is only 200 square feet smaller than my two bedroom, two bath house.

I'm excited to be getting a new home and having a more fulfilling life than I have now, staying home until I can go out with friends occasionally.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last month or so I've been checking out independent living in retirement communities. The one I've decided on is beautiful, has all the things I need ( like transportation since I can no longer drive ), and allows pets! Unfortunately Chicqui won't be able to go outside unless she's on a leash, and she has never walked on one. There is a screened and glass enclosed patio so at least she can get some fresh air and look out the windows. A big adjustment for a kitty who's always used a doggy door to go out in the back yard. I think there is going to be a lot of complaining, judging from the yowling when she can't go out now at night.

My house goes on the market this Friday. I will move to the new apartment no later than Sept. 30th even if the house hasn't sold by then. There's a big discount on the move in cost that ends then. The apartment is only 200 square feet smaller than my two bedroom, two bath house.

I'm excited to be getting a new home and having a more fulfilling life than I have now, staying home until I can go out with friends occasionally.
Congrats Deb! You sound very excited. I don't have a car and having to rely on other people is rough. My helper cannot even take me places because the agency doesn't want to pay for the insurance. This move sounds like the perfect things for you. Good Luck!!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I've bounced around with choosing a career (I suck at making decisions for myself). I reached a breaking point last week with my frustration so I decided to take a career quiz on a whim. Out of the 10 results (which were all mostly art focused because no matter where I go, art seems to follow me), "Industrial Designer" was one of my results and it was the only one that stood out to me right away. I had no idea what it was before googling it and I became hooked immediately. I applied to a college near by after doing some research on their program (I had to complete a portfolio and a writing sample as well). Annnnnd, I just received a conditional offer (only because I didn't take grade 12 math which I will have to do online). :party: :drinking:

I'm actually surprised because I applied so late. I mean, school starts in 20 days for us here in Canada. People usually start applying in late January to early February. But, this feels right so I'm going to run with it!

This video will somewhat explain the program for those who are interested.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ConCATulations debbila debbila ! There are modular outdoor cat enclosures that might work well for Chicqui! There are links on www.hauspanther.com, for instance.
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily How exciting! You can go almost anywhere in this field and it's fascinating on so many levels. *You could even design stuff for CATS ;):yess: which is a huge field* hauspanther.com has a lot of amazing ideas along this line.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
ConCATulations debbila debbila ! There are modular outdoor cat enclosures that might work well for Chicqui! There are links on www.hauspanther.com, for instance.
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily How exciting! You can go almost anywhere in this field and it's fascinating on so many levels. *You could even design stuff for CATS ;):yess: which is a huge field* hauspanther.com has a lot of amazing ideas along this line.
Funny thing is, my mind went straight in that direction when I research the field. My initial thought was, "What can I make for my cats? :compsurfing:"

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny thing is, my mind went straight in that direction when I research the field. My initial thought was, "What can I make for my cats? :compsurfing:"
It's a huge industry -- multiple billions spent every year -- so it's not "just" about loving our cats -- it can be a way of supporting us! Kate, who owns hauspanther, did this -- she took her company from a small online presence into a very successful one that supports her and her multi-cat family.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a huge industry -- multiple billions spent every year -- so it's not "just" about loving our cats -- it can be a way of supporting us! Kate, who owns hauspanther, did this -- she took her company from a small online presence into a very successful one that supports her and her multi-cat family.
That amazing! I checked the website out and there are a lot of great things on there. Very inspiring!

For the program, our thesis is identifying a problem in any market of our choosing and creating a product to help with that problem/solve that problem. Then, like the video I posted, there is a thesis show where your 8 months of hard work are put on display.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That amazing! I checked the website out and there are a lot of great things on there. Very inspiring!

For the program, our thesis is identifying a problem in any market of our choosing and creating a product to help with that problem/solve that problem. Then, like the video I posted, there is a thesis show where your 8 months of hard work are put on display.
It looks absolutely amazing!!! I have an art background and an interest in problem-solving, so it speaks to me. People are coming up with the greatest concepts and turning them into reality -- their creativity and wish to make the world a better place is so inspiring.

Kate is one of the kindest people I know. She's been on Jackson Galaxy's "MY CAT FROM HELL" several times and collaborated with him on CATIFICATION, a wonderful book all about making human habitations cat-friendly. She has an interior design background and is very involved in cat advocacy.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane is home! After spending over a month bouncing back and forth from the ICU, he went home yesterday.
He has surgery on September 9 so they can try to get more of the tumor.
All the kids are going to be homeschooled. Getting sick would be extremely hazardous for Shane, so they're taking all the precautions they can. We can thank the antivax nuts for making it unsafe for him to attend school. But I digress.
A family member loaned them the money for a down payment on a house just outside of St. Louis. We'll miss them, but it's for the best. Where they live now, if Shane gets so much as a fever, he has to be life flighted to St. Louis. If they move, it will be easier to get him to the hospital if needed and they won't have to be separated from the younger kids all the time.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane is home! After spending over a month bouncing back and forth from the ICU, he went home yesterday.
He has surgery on September 9 so they can try to get more of the tumor.
All the kids are going to be homeschooled. Getting sick would be extremely hazardous for Shane, so they're taking all the precautions they can. We can thank the antivax nuts for making it unsafe for him to attend school. But I digress.
A family member loaned them the money for a down payment on a house just outside of St. Louis. We'll miss them, but it's for the best. Where they live now, if Shane gets so much as a fever, he has to be life flighted to St. Louis. If they move, it will be easier to get him to the hospital if needed and they won't have to separated from the younger kids all the time.
All in all, very good news, Alicia88 Alicia88 and I'm so glad that family is helping re: the down payment. Home schooling sounds like the right choice in this instance.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Three things I learned real quick when I made the move from Phoenix to a 5700 ft elevation.
I couldn't get air in my lungs for about 3-4 months until I acclimated to the thinner air. I had to take breaks just to breathe.
The sun is brutal. Between being closer and no pollution, you will burn easily. I never burned a day in my life until I moved up here, and I tubed down the river in my youth.
High elevation cooking. Longer times to cook things and have to add more flour to a baking recipe.

Glad you are settling in and are healing segelkatt segelkatt .
I had the opposite problem when we moved from Kiowa, Colorado 6,378 feet to Magazine, Arkansas 499 feet. I could feel the weight of the air and the humidity was brutal (my friend in Miami says 120% humidity there). It took me a while to be able to breathe properly.

The worst sunburn I ever had was in Hawaii. I sat on the beach watching the ladies in the crocheted bikinis for several hours - with no sunscreen on. Barbecued sailor!

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alicia88, that's amazing! I'm glad Shane is coming home and they have a game plan in place for his future.

Graceful-Lily, that was my situation. I job hopped for 7 years and then realized, hang on, what are all my jobs in, what jobs are hiring the most in my area, and what's going to be the best route for me from here? Turns out the answer was going back to school for social work, which starts on August 26. It's definitely daunting (I will be in the same classes as kids I student taught my first time around) but I'm excited! I just got the first of my textbooks delivered yesterday. Eep!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Graceful-Lily, that was my situation. I job hopped for 7 years and then realized, hang on, what are all my jobs in, what jobs are hiring the most in my area, and what's going to be the best route for me from here? Turns out the answer was going back to school for social work, which starts on August 26. It's definitely daunting (I will be in the same classes as kids I student taught my first time around) but I'm excited! I just got the first of my textbooks delivered yesterday. Eep!
That's great! Social work is a very fulfilling field of work. I was in Child and Youth Care last year but I left because I didn't feel it was for me. However, the course material and overall experience was very eye opening. Don't worry too much about being in class with people younger than you. That has always happened when I took college classes - there was always someone who was older than us. They always turned out to be cool people and we always made great friends with them. I'm excited for you! Congratulations and all the best on your studies! How long is your program?

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a two year program. I've already handled legal aid for a year, managed an emergency basic needs program, managed a cemetery for five years, and worked as a peer advocate for mental health. I won't lie--doing this as an adult student is daunting but you find yourself really playing the political chess (Robert Jordan calls it the Game of Houses) in trying to figure out what classes will be most beneficial to you. I need to take a bunch of business courses too because I have a social work consulting firm now (for struggling municipal cemeteries), and counselling because half the time for cemetery work you've got to do informal grief counselling and work with families who are.... *ahem* volatile because they don't want to deal with it. In legal aid I had more than a few screamers, in emergency basic needs I got to deal with face spitters as well as violent autistic 3 year olds finding the knife drawer in the church kitchen on the first try, and in mental health one of the clients basically tried sexually assaulting every single female staff member including myself on duty in the week he was there (and we had a regular who constantly screamed at us). I dealt with all of that without proper training, so I'm really hoping school for it helps give me training I really really desperately need, because these are the jobs I qualify for right now. I already have an internship lined up in outpatient chemical dependency for next year, so I'm hoping desperately that the coursework (and lots of yoga meditation) will help prepare me for diving into the depths again.

Status
Not open for further replies.