The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bag I have is filled with some kind of gel so that it stays pliable even when frozen and it lasts about 4 hours before it gets warm again, it's called COLPAC cold therapy and I have had for literally decades and I keep it in the freezer at all times. I also tie it around my ankle at night to keep it in place.

Did you feel both earthquakes? Around here nobody felt the second one.
Yeah, those gelpacs are great.
Oh, yes, the first one was a 6.4 but the second was a 7.1, a LOT worse than the first and I was lying on the sofa watching TV when it started. Wasn't sure I could get up, it was so strong. My mom's crystal chandelier was swaying like crazy and her little antique lamps were shaking really bad -- I was afraid they'd break but thankfully they didn't and nothing else did, either. Some stuff fell off shelves. No structural damage, and we're all okay, thankfully. Glad you didn't feel it. It was scary.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What time did this happen? I think I was just really tired, but somewhere between 2:45 - 3:15 am it felt like my bed was shaking. I really don't think I would have felt the earthquake from NE AZ, but it was really odd.
I was probably just tired.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like earthquakes. I know that's weird, lol. But I do, as long as nobody gets hurt of course. I grew up in California and Japan and grew accustomed to the fairly constant minor shaking. It's been 25 years since I moved here and I still think solid ground is weird.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I like earthquakes. I know that's weird, lol. But I do, as long as nobody gets hurt of course. I grew up in California and Japan and grew accustomed to the fairly constant minor shaking. It's been 25 years since I moved here and I still think solid ground is weird.
I would be scared. But then again I don't think they scare me as much as tornadoes.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be scared. But then again I don't think they scare me as much as tornadoes.
Yeah, tornados are scary. I have had several close (5-10 miles) and that is freaky. Horizontal hail and almost constant lightning.
An earthquake would be even scarier, since I live close enough to the New Madrid fault to be in a high damage zone. There is a 10% chance of a major quake in the next 25 years.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ew. I've been in a few tornados and one year the East Coast Quake hit on my birthday. We've only had one other significant earthquake but there is a major active fault in the middle of NYS from Erie County east. You can see it on the geology maps as a line of marble deposit--the Southern Tier has shale and slate for bedrock and north of Buffalo has limestone and shale for bedrock until you hit the Adirondacks, and then you start getting granite bedrock (my consulting firm relies on local geology for determining trade histories in cemeteries. Don't ask). Marble is only created by subjecting limestone to intense heat and pressure over millions of years and we definitely don't have volcanos in the geologic past here to create such a relatively thinnish band of marble. So, fault line. Luckily ours have been small but because our main fault line is active it's always releasing pressure in minor earthquakes you feel once or twice a month here but don't really seem measure up to anything data wise so far.

:dunno:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2019 hours Pacific Daylight Time.
Then it wasn't that one that I felt. Arizona does have many tectonic plates on the eastern border, and we get very small earthquakes often. Maybe yours set something off over here...or maybe I was just so tired that my body was having tremors.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a Florida resident of 17 years, I have seen quite a few major hurricanes. I will take them over an earthquake or a tornado any day. Why? With a hurricane, you know it's coming. It sends an RSVP to an invitation it never got and with the technology we have today, the landfall can be predicted to location and even time. You have plenty of time to get the :censored: out of town if it's headed your way. Earthquakes and tornadoes can show up out of almost nowhere.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, tornados are scary. I have had several close (5-10 miles) and that is freaky. Horizontal hail and almost constant lightning.
An earthquake would be even scarier, since I live close enough to the New Madrid fault to be in a high damage zone. There is a 10% chance of a major quake in the next 25 years.
Yikes!!! 5-10 miles! I would be under the bed! 10% chance of a major quake, that is scary!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
As a Florida resident of 17 years, I have seen quite a few major hurricanes. I will take them over an earthquake or a tornado any day. Why? With a hurricane, you know it's coming. It sends an RSVP to an invitation it never got and with the technology we have today, the landfall can be predicted to location and even time. You have plenty of time to get the :censored: out of town if it's headed your way. Earthquakes and tornadoes can show up out of almost nowhere.
Have you ever evacuated?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 Both of them were felt in Vegas, so it could be.
I downloaded ShakeAlertLA, which may give us a tiny warning, but I'm more interested in tracking the aftershocks. There have been thousands so far. I haven't felt any of them -- they'd be felt more near the epicenter.
F FflurCadwgawn RE: marble: I have my tall furniture bolted to the walls. The one thing I'm concerned about is a bronze on a tall Carrara marble pedestal. It belonged to my mom, and it fell in one of the other major earthquakes, breaking off a small piece of the statue and chipping a small piece off the pedestal. There's really nothing I can do to secure it and no great place to put it. Thankfully, it stood through both of these that just happened.
IMG_1425.JPG

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hope all goes well for your nephew @Alicia88 and that your hubs gets that job he thought he was getting! I don't understand why they hold something that happened 10 years over your head?! Lot of changes can happen in 10 years!

I had been babysitting my friend's dog this weekend and with the heat I spent so much time outside making sure everything is watered. I personally are petrified of tornadoes and earthquakes. No thanks! I like Kat's view above-hurricanes give you notice vs the others no notice.

Tomatoes are plugging away-most have flowers on them now. Still have a few that are still small but for the most part most are about 2 to 3 feet tall. I still need staking and got the velcro tape to tape them to the posts.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I can only imagine.
I have a large, enclosed "playpen" for the girls for just that purpose. It's big enough for a litter box, 2 small beds with blankets and a water dish. The food dishes go in at mealtimes and come out when they are done. Since we are in a strange place with strange sounds and strange scents, I cannot take the risk of one of them bolting when the hotel room door opens. Especially in a pet friendly hotel where there are strange dogs in the hall being taken outside at all hours. They seem to like the playpen. I think they feel safe in it. They cried the first time we used it but were ok with it after because I had it right next to my bed. Having their blankets from home helps too.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I have a large, enclosed "playpen" for the girls for just that purpose. It's big enough for a litter box, 2 small beds with blankets and a water dish. The food dishes go in at mealtimes and come out when they are done. Since we are in a strange place with strange sounds and strange scents, I cannot take the risk of one of them bolting when the hotel room door opens. Especially in a pet friendly hotel where there are strange dogs in the hall being taken outside at all hours. They seem to like the playpen. I think they feel safe in it. They cried the first time we used it but were ok with it after because I had it right next to my bed. Having their blankets from home helps too.
Awwww....playpen, so cute. That is a good idea. I hope you won't have to use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.