The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Have you ever had a backed up toilet and gone to the store for some Liquid Plumber or some such, only to find when reading labels that it's actually dangerous to use these chemicals in your toilet? I have, and found myself muttering "Where else am I likely to need it?!" on my way out of the store.

Fortunately, a friend has told me what you actually can safely pour down your toilet to take care of clogs, short of calling a plumber with a plumbing snake, and I found myself using it this afternoon: Coca Cola! :eek: (Gee, I wonder why they don't advertise it for this purpose. Okay, maybe I don't wonder.) This is why I always keep a six-pack on hand.

Margret
Dawn dish detergent. Swirl it 3 or 4 times and let it sit for 30 minutes, or you can plunge sooner, It gives lubrication to "stuff" and unclogs. Hot water from the tap works. Don't use boiling water. Yes Coke works for stains. Tooth paste also works for hard water stains. IT doesn't get it all off but sure helps.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My old man Beagle is dying.
Hugs, Darlin, just...hugs.

I don't have a Netflix account and I would need something for my tv so I could get it.
You should be able to watch Netflix on your computer just fine. I do, quite often, although I do have a smart TV, and generally use that.

In fact, I'm currently binge-watching the prior seasons of "Lucifer," getting ready for the Season Four premier tomorrow!

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you do if you adopted a pet and had it for 2 weeks but then the old owner came forward and wanted them back?

They didn't want to give the animal up, they were removed from their home while they weren't there.

What would you do now that you have this animal and love it but the old owner wants them back?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you do if you adopted a pet and had it for 2 weeks but then the old owner came forward and wanted them back?

They didn't want to give the animal up, they were removed from their home while they weren't there.

What would you do now that you have this animal and love it but the old owner wants them back?
I think it would depend on why the animal was removed from the home, and by whom.

Alicia88 Alicia88 , when Grandma gives your child a drum set you're free to say "What a nice toy! Let's keep it at Grandma's house!" But when it's Daddy who gives the kid a drum set, well, I don't know a good response to that. I'd be tempted to make it an outdoors only toy.

Margret

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Ever heard of man-eating tigers? They had those in India in the early 1900s so the Colonial British made it their task to eliminate all tigers from India. Thankfully they did not completely succeed and now tiger hunts are illegal. Bengal tigers are now protected and the Russian Amur tigers have pretty much made a comeback also. According to a book I am presently reading (No Beast so Fierce) it was the presence of the British that caused those magnificent cats to turn to hunting and eating humans. Tigers would be injured by potshots or just an unskilled hunter with a gun where they could not hunt their usual prey properly and would thus be driven from their usual hunting grounds. The British also started to drain the swamps and cut down the forests for agriculture so there was less room for the tigers and an injured tiger could not defend itself against another tiger that wanted its territory. They found humans to be easier prey as they were slower and did not have hoofs or fangs with which to defend themselves. The tiger which had been the most prolific in hunting humans was finally killed and found to have no lower teeth at all as she (yes, female) had been shot in the mouth when she was relatively young with half of her jaw gone. Nevertheless, she survived that horrible injury but found hunting her usual food to be difficult. She was also found when she was finally killed far from the usual hunting grounds that tigers inhabited (wet jungle) but in the dry hills just below the Himalayas. Was it any wonder that she would go where the food she could hunt and eat was available? She did not need all her fangs to kill a human and she did not need to chase them either, she could just break into their houses or find them outdoors in fields and kill them with one swipe of her paw. People did not live in the wet jungle which was infested with malaria and tigers are naturally shy and solitary creatures who do not like the smell or noise of humans. So it was people who turned the tigers into man-eaters and those that still live in the jungles of India give people a wide berth if they can. Still, these great cats are still poached for their skins, and body parts for so-called traditional medicines in China and other places, although not for that purpose in India, there it is just for the money a poacher can get. Just saying, for all of those who love cats, big or small.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting here in the living room, browsing TCS, checking email, watching television, and inside I'm just screaming. There's been another school shooting near me, and this time the younger suspect is a girl: Colorado STEM school shooting: What we know about the suspects, victims and heroes :bawling:

This is bringing back all the memories of Columbine. My minister was the first minister on the scene. They sent him to the school auditorium (at a different school, of course) where they were sending all the parents to wait for news and, hopefully, reunions with their children. This man, this father, who absolutely adores children, was there to pray with parents and counsel them. And the parents were all praying "Please, please let my child be okay," knowing that it was the same as praying "Please let it be someone else's child who's dead." How on earth can anyone "counsel" parents in that situation? It's a nightmare.

And after the bodies were buried, the survivors were rescued, the parents were either reunited with their children or informed that they would never see them again, it still continued. For my minister this had been terribly traumatic, seeing other parents in this most painful situation and being unable to help, and suddenly just about every member of the church was scheduling an appointment for pastoral care, for counseling on how to talk with their children about what they'd experienced, and on how to deal with their own emotions, at a time when the minister himself hadn't yet dealt with the trauma.

They said on the news that "first responders," the cops and paramedics who'd come to the high school, were getting trauma counseling to help them deal with it. I told my minister that if people who'd been specifically trained to respond to this kind of violence needed extra counseling, so did he; that he had to get some of that grief and trauma counseling that the news shows were talking about, and he did. I also started taking him out for lunch once a week for several months, to give him at least one hour every week when he could talk and think about something other than this horror he'd witnessed. Sometimes distraction is the best help you can give, but the elephant is still in the room the entire time.

But now I'm starting to think that as a "second responder," someone who was trying to provide support to one of the first responders, I should have been getting some of that trauma counseling myself, because of the way it's all welling up now, twenty years later. How the heck is a community supposed to deal with something like this? I just don't know. I'm angry, and crying, and I just feel so hopeless. When even little girls find themselves going into their schools with guns and shooting their classmates we have totally screwed up, somehow, and we desperately need to figure out how and correct the error, and I don't see that happening.

Edit: I just re-read the news story I posted a link to; it's been updated since I first read it. Apparently the "female" suspect is a transgendered child, who prefers male pronouns. I have to wonder whether some of the blatant discrimination against transgendered people that I've been seeing lately has something to do with his involvement.

Margret

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I think it would depend on why the animal was removed from the home, and by whom.
And Margret Margret answered with the same thing I would have said!

Alicia88 Alicia88 , when Grandma gives your child a drum set you're free to say "What a nice toy! Let's keep it at Grandma's house!" But when it's Daddy who gives the kid a drum set, well, I don't know a good response to that. I'd be tempted to make it an outdoors only toy.
LOL, THAT is when you say, "What a nice toy! Let's keep it in the dog house, with daddy!"

I just got one of those bits of absurd good news! #1 son is going to put me on his Verizon account so that I'm not dependent on a government free phone! I ordered my new iphone a few minutes ago, did NOT get expedited shipping, so it will be here in 7-10 days-ish!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad he is not in pain. When it was my Kirsten's time she went into her favorite cabinet and just went to the Bridge. My nephew came over and put a pretty tank top on her and buried her at my sister's. I was destroyed. Some
months later some friends suggested this site as I needed support.
I think a lot of us came here for support. Mine was when Silly had to hae her eye removed. And then two years later when I had to have her euthanized, everybody was so supportive. These are good people.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise

Depends on who removed the pets and why? Just curious how these people knew where their pet went to.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
And Margret Margret
I just got one of those bits of absurd good news! #1 son is going to put me on his Verizon account so that I'm not dependent on a government free phone! I ordered my new iphone a few minutes ago, did NOT get expedited shipping, so it will be here in 7-10 days-ish!
Which one did you get? I have the XR. It is larger but it is so good..easy to use.. takes really good pictures. The X is a bit smaller, and very expensive..

Edit: I just re-read the news story I posted a link to; it's been updated since I first read it. Apparently the "female" suspect is a transgendered child, who prefers male pronouns. I have to wonder whether some of the blatant discrimination against transgendered people that I've been seeing lately has something to do with his involvement.
I do not know about that..It could have something to do with all the mass shootings at schools by students... but the real issue is mental health. These students/people are not thinking along the right lines.

IMO, it comes from the climate of violence in this country. We have become immune to watching/seeing people being blown up on the Big and little screens, the violent video games.. It is an inoculation to the ways of gentleness, caring for people.

I think, that having all this violence easily accessible, has made anyone, who is on the 'borderline' turned towards desensitization of brutality. The consequences are never explored. It is just the power of hatred which is exemplified..

Who to blame? What is the answer? I do not know.

I think parents should take more of an interest in their kids lives. And limit their choices. You cannot control them 24/7; however, a strong family background.. being brought up in love, with a sense of community has to be one solution...

Even single parents can get more involved.. not being helicopter parents, but just a long caring, and yes, semi-restricted environment.. no cell phones at kitchen table, no excessive violence on video games, TV, Movies.. it is the culture which need to change.. and yes, I do think a sense of some kind of religion. It does help.. The foundation of love is there, but not the violence..

The radicalism needs to stop.. how? I do not know.. All I feel is that it comes back to family values.. knowing your child, watching his astute towards things.. getting early intervention, when you see something amiss..

Yes, Bullying gets involved.. and the kid being bullied does need help, support.. as well as a no tolerance rule in school..

ok... just a few thoughts...

off my soapbox.. and needing my coffee...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone please tell me how this makes any sense. I called my vet and asked if I can purchase topical flea treatment from them because I've picked a flea off of Felix and noticed some more. They tell me they will not sell it to me because he hasn't had his vaccines and needs to come in for a check-up... :mad2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They aren't allowed to sell you prescription meds unless they've seen the cat in the last year. That's the law. If you want non-prescription meds like Frontline or Advantage, then that's just their own policies.

If you get them somewhere else, make sure it's a reputable pet pharmacy like Chewy, not some rando on eBay.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on who removed the pets and why? Just curious how these people knew where their pet went to.
The previous owner was arrested. Authorities went into her home and discovered the dogs. They were removed and sent to shelter. She didn't come back for them because she was unable to but they were adopted out. Now she wants them back.

They aren't allowed to sell you prescription meds unless they've seen the cat in the last year. That's the law. If you want non-prescription meds like Frontline or Advantage, then that's just their own policies.

If you get them somewhere else, make sure it's a reputable pet pharmacy like Chewy, not some rando on eBay.
He was there just last week for his cleaning and extraction. She said they could sell it to me, but he needs to be vaccinated first.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And Margret Margret answered with the same thing I would have said!

LOL, THAT is when you say, "What a nice toy! Let's keep it in the dog house, with daddy!"
Fortunately, it's not terribly loud. So I can't complain too much. He seems to enjoy it and it's so cute to watch him rocking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.