The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alicia88 Alicia88 Congratulations! It's so nice to have a good car with all the latest features.

Two weeks ago I sold my Hyundai Sonata to a friend. I can't drive anymore so I was happy to get a good price for it. It was only five years old, and I was a little sad to give up my beautiful " baby " that had taken me so many places. The best thing besides the money I got for it is not having a monthly insurance payment!

My garage looks so empty now. :sigh:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought a car today! It's a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country; 139k miles. I traded in my old car - he gave me $800 as trade in value!!! That's what I paid for it 3 years ago! I have to admit; I cried when I left it behind. It was good to me. And then we paid $3000 cash. So no payments. It's SO nice! Automatic everything; I can hit a button and open and close the side and rear doors!!! It's even got a backup sensor and the digital readouts for tire pressure, gas mileage, and all that other fancy stuff. I'm totally over the moon about it.
Nice ride!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandma has a follow up appointment on Wednesday. I'm going with her and I'm asking them to check her for diabetes. Her sugar was a little high. The ER doctor said it wasn't diabetes high, but higher than normal. And she had REALLY high blood pressure in the ER. They ended up giving her meds to get it down. They said the infection could have raised it and it might have been higher from the stress of being in a hospital but that's something that needs watched, too.
An infection will raise blood sugar but ask her doctor to run a A1C to check for diabetes. This blood,test is based on blood sugar levels over a couple of months and so is better than a finger stick test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor baby. I'm sitting here with Kumal on my lap and I'm running my fingers down his tail. It's been broken in two places.
Doesn't seem to bother him though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the good news is that it is healed. Years ago, my kitten’s tail was broken when she leaped in the dryer as I was shutting the door and her tail got caught. The vet said it would either heal or fall off and I was horrified. Fortunately she lived a long life with just a bit of a kink in her tail.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figure the old owner probably stepped on it or rolled over it with a rocking chair.
I just feel bad for him. It must have hurt.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I thought I had problems. Sunday night, the closest house to the west of me- a half mile away- burned to the ground. I stopped over yesterday to see if everyone was ok and got out alright. He had no insurance. It's getting hard to find anyone to insure a manufactured home. The neighbor directly south of him lent him his huge RV so they have a place to stay. He is married, takes care of his mother and has two young girls. However, his goats and pigs are living in his two horse trailer.
So, I offered to lend him my round pen. It's portable and it is actually a goat pen that I bought for my mini's. It's a 70'-90' round pen and he can make it so that they are safe from the weather and predators. It's not much, I wish I could do more.
I feel so bad for them.

I don't get it though. I watched the progress of the burn off and on for hours. At one point, it looked like it was almost out, then all of a sudden, they just watched it burn (the firefighters). I don't get how it went from almost contained to 'just let it burn'.
They lost almost everything.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm catching up on several days' worth of "What's on your mind?," so I'm just going to respond to a page at a time.

Wowza, wasn't that the late 70s? I bet it was an amazing sight.
I went to South Padre Island, in Texas, because it was the southernmost point available, and Halley's was going to be in the southern sky - smart, huh? Except, of course, that it's extremely humid there and the nights were foggy.

The local observatory set up a telescope on the beach, and a long line of cars drove out on this (hard) beach so that people could take their turn with the telescope, and all the cars had their headlights on, lighting up the fog. Horrid! So I drove to the other side of the island and tried to see it, unsuccessfully; fell asleep in my car; woke up and tried again, and this time I saw it! A little bitty fuzz ball. Total anticlimax, but the trip was fun (except when I got sick on the way to Texas and had to hole up in a motel for 24 hours because I was unsafe to drive), and it really did prove just how good my binoculars are. Very few people saw that particular visit of Halley's comet without a telescope.

I've only seen the aurora once. My parents took us to the drive-in for our annual movie- it was 'The Absent-minded Professor'- and they were clearly visible. When the Hale-Bopp comet came past back in the 90s, I was able to get pictures of it, but clouds obscured Halley's, so I missed that one.
Hale-Bopp was incredible! The first time I saw it I had been at a friend's house for the monthly "Bad movie night" that he was having back then (we saw some incredibly funny bad movies) and when I walked out I looked up and saw this huge comet in the sky. I turned around and knocked on my friend's door and when he answered I said "Come out here. You have to see this!"

I remember, sadly, an odd cult that believed they would be taken on a spaceship or something that night and they killed themselves.
Yep. Heaven's Gate. I remember that. Someone had seen something in the tail of Hale-Bopp that looked like a second body; it was all over the Art Bell show on late night radio. They even had a contest to name the second object; I think the winning entry was the "Hale Mary." Anyway, the Heaven's Gate cult had a "revelation" that Hale Mary was really an alien space ship come to take them away to a wonderful place, and they had to leave their bodies at the appropriate time in order to be picked up. They were very methodical about it, left as little mess as possible for survivors to clean up afterwards. And a lot of people never forgave Art Bell for publicizing the sighting. (For the record - it wasn't his fault.)

Love this! Thank you!

I love this quote so much, thank you. I sometimes forget this. My hair is literally falling out from stress. Anyone ever heard of telogen effluvium?
I believe I do. I made an appointment with a dermatologist and expected a comformation email - never got it. So I contacted them and asked them about my appointment and they said I never made one. Which is bizzare because I gave them all my information and spoke with the receptionist for almost 20 minutes. I've been trying to find one that specializes in hairloss but I've had no luck. And when you bring stress into the conversation, in my experience, doctors are quick to write your symptoms off as being from your stress.
I just looked up telogen effluvium, and if you're correct about what you have then it is from stress. The good news is that it's also temporary. The bad news, however, is that any time you're actually able to pull handfuls of hair from your head you need to see a doctor, and you need to do it as soon as possible!!!. There's an Agatha Christie novel in which this was the primary clue, and it turned out to be caused by thallium poisoning. The novel alerted an investigator to the cause of a real-life case of thallium poisoning and saved a girl's life. https://www.investigationdiscovery....e-an-agatha-christie-story-saved-a-girls-life

I am stuck inside doing mandated online computer training for child care and it's 65 F outside. Buffalo spring! I'm impatient to start fieldwork for my archaeology firm this year and the first decent weekend I have for it I'm stuck inside doing work training for the job that pays the bills. :grumble
:alright:

Alicia88 Alicia88 , second babies frequently do come quickly. I'm just glad everyone's okay, and the baby and her big sister and mom are all beautiful!

If the father is willing to behave like this he isn't fit to be a father; your sister is better off without him, though she darn well should file for child support.

Wonderful news about John's promotion and the bad neighbors moving away! I hope your new neighbors are easier to get along with, and I strongly suspect they will be. In my experience, most people are nice. Nasty people make such an impression on us largely because they're actually rather rare.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I start my Career Preparation class tomorrow. I don’t think I’ve ever had a proper job interview.
Well, this class should give you the practice you need. :cheerleader:

Good luck!
I won! I had to practically drag her out the door but we're at the hospital now.
Sorry we didn't get home til 11. It's infected but it's not in her blood so they sent her home. I've gotta go pick her up to fill her prescriptions.
Alicia88 Alicia88 , SO happy that this wasn't worse, and it certainly could have been, had you not insisted on her going right away. These things turn very bad in a heartbeat, especially in the elderly!
:yeah: You may have just saved your grandmother's life, Alicia88 Alicia88 . Good for you!

I had no idea there was a pre-health science pathway for people who want to be a nurse or vet technician. When I spoke to someone from the college I applied to before, this option was not mentioned to me. Well, at least there is still a chance for me to become a veterinary technician. :yess:
YES! Where there's a will, you know! And now you have your way!
:yeah:

We bought a car today! It's a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country; 139k miles. I traded in my old car - he gave me $800 as trade in value!!! That's what I paid for it 3 years ago! I have to admit; I cried when I left it behind. It was good to me. And then we paid $3000 cash. So no payments. It's SO nice! Automatic everything; I can hit a button and open and close the side and rear doors!!! It's even got a backup sensor and the digital readouts for tire pressure, gas mileage, and all that other fancy stuff. I'm totally over the moon about it.
That looks perfect for you! I'm so glad you found a good car that you could afford!

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely story - Thanks! (That couch is toast, though.:flail:)

My poor baby. I'm sitting here with Kumal on my lap and I'm running my fingers down his tail. It's been broken in two places.
Doesn't seem to bother him though.
The important thing is that it's healed and no longer hurts. I know that it hurts you to think of how Kumal got his tail broken, but he probably doesn't even remember it. Cats are very good at moving on, and right now the most important thing in his life isn't his broken tail, it's the fact that he's in a loving home and has you.

:clap::dance: So glad to hear this.

I don't get it though. I watched the progress of the burn off and on for hours. At one point, it looked like it was almost out, then all of a sudden, they just watched it burn (the firefighters). I don't get how it went from almost contained to 'just let it burn'.
They lost almost everything.
I presume that there was something going on that wasn't visible from a distance. Firefighters only stand back and allow it to burn when there's nothing they can do.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I presume that there was something going on that wasn't visible from a distance. Firefighters only stand back and allow it to burn when there's nothing they can do.
True, but it's just weird.
He and his wife were in TX when it broke out, just mom and girls home. The firefighters called him and said that the fire was contained but there would be smoke and water damage. Then less than an hour later they called him and said it was a complete loss.
No one seems to know what happened in that hour.
The investigator said it started in the attack...only, they didn't have an attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.