The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my mind... questioned my boss if people are allowed to vape in the store because many associates are. She hasn't given me an answer yet as this conversation was through text. Wondering now if another job would better suite me, so I'm not exposed to second hand smoke multiple times a day. *sigh*

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
On my mind... questioned my boss if people are allowed to vape in the store because many associates are. She hasn't given me an answer yet as this conversation was through text. Wondering now if another job would better suite me, so I'm not exposed to second hand smoke multiple times a day. *sigh*
Why is it that vaping is glorified now? Did they consider the opinion of those who don't want it?

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it that vaping is glorified now? Did they consider the opinion of those who don't want it?
EXACTLY! I also have asthma, so I am especially concerned about exposure. It makes me very frustrated that others don't think about the harm that can be caused by exposing others to their smoking and vaping. Just because you are okay with putting it in your body and any consequential side effects, doesn't mean the people that happen to be around when you smoke are okay with themselves getting exposed. People want the right to smoke, but other people have a right to not be exposed to it. :argh:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I thought you lived alone out in the boonies. Living with other people rots. I wish I lived alone with my cats. :catrub:
It's all good. One is my elderly mother whom I take care of, the others are my son and his girlfriend. He will be moving out in the next year or so. I told him to stay until he gets his Associates of Science. But he does have to go to a university to get his Bachelors, Masters and PHD.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
EXACTLY! I also have asthma, so I am especially concerned about exposure. It makes me very frustrated that others don't think about the harm that can be caused by exposing others to their smoking and vaping. Just because you are okay with putting it in your body and any consequential side effects, doesn't mean the people that happen to be around when you smoke are okay with themselves getting exposed. People want the right to smoke, but other people have a right to not be exposed to it. :argh:
Right! I hate that so much. Especially since my doctor told me that second hand smoke will negatively affect my heart. It's already sensitive and I have to deal with second hand smoke all the time. It's so annoying. Especially when I'm working out and a bunch of smokers are all huddled outside together an even larger give off.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever tried Tinder? I didn't expect to match with so many people and then they're all messaging you at once and everyone wants to go somewhere
That's nice that you got lots of responses though. Did you have to give a photo? I wonder if I could find a dating site for vegetarians. That would be fun.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
@Lari Your pie looks amazing!! Yum!!

segelkatt segelkatt Where've you been?
Hi Mia6, just sort of burnt out on everything. The move and staying at my son's place for two months was rougher than anticipated. Somehow I just didn't have anything to say. Everything here is a big disappointment and I wish I had found a way to stay in sunny SoCal. It's so cold all the time now that I don't want to go outside, I'm turning into a hermit and that is no way to find new friends or even acquaintances. If I did not have my cats I would be terribly alone and maybe even get depressed. Getting to be old, and I mean OLD, not just elderly, does not help either. Since it has gotten cold the ankle that I had cracked just before the move has started to hurt a lot, not all the time but sometimes wakes me up at night and on and off during the day and I don't know what to do about it. I have never had a broken bone before so I don't know if this normal. I have not yet found a new doctor either, nobody wants to take new patients although I have good insurance, not just medicare. Now my car went on the blink 2 days ago, my son happened to be in town and said I may have blown the head gasket. He'll be back on Christmas and have a closer look to make sure. In the meantime I have to rely on his wife to take me places and I really don't want to do that if I don't absolutely have to. The closest bus stop is down a long steep hill about 1/2 half mile from where I live, I'm not sure I could make it up again if I had to carry anything. So that is another bummer.
My son would be able to replace a head gasket but that is time consuming, one day to take everything off the top of the engine, then get the valves ground elsewhere, then another day to put it all back together, he just is not home enough to get that all done in 3 day's time, he's usually home just for 48 hours at a stretch and I certainly do not want to take all that time away from his family to work on my car. To get it done elsewhere would probably run about $1,000 and the car is not worth that and I can't afford to buy another right now either, so I am bummed one way or another. Having good credit and $34,000 credit available on one of my cards is no help when I cannot make the payments to pay it back.
So right now I am concentrating on getting the guest bedroom in shape which still has stuff piled on the bed, getting pictures hung in that room and one or two more in my bedroom, and trying to figure out on how to arrange Christmas dinner. Laurie, my DIL, had said we could have it at her house but we would have to eat off TV trays, can you imagine? Her house is dark and dirty and crowded and I don't like to be there. Besides that, Christmas dinner would be all prepared and bought from someplace else, no thank you. I like for it to be a festive occasion when you pull out the good china and crystal, lots of good food and drink, good conversation and visiting afterwards and everybody pitching in preparing food and cleaning up after. So it will be dinner here, I have a nice table and chairs in the dining room that I can set fancy, and clean nice furniture with lots of room for afterwards, the kitchen is smaller than I like but manageable. I already have things planned: glazed ham, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes with orange sauce without any marshmallows, green beans and asparagus (no casseroles here), green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and avocados and a rose wine to go with dinner. Trays with cookies, fruit and chocolates to snack on before and after, I made a big dish of my son's Whiskey Fudge (I posted the recipe here a few years ago and got rave reviews, if there is a demand I will post it again), hot spiced cider, eggnog with or without brandy, a big pot of coffee and hot chocolate for those who are so inclined, DIL will bring chocolate pie for desert. It will be a feast, now I hope everyone can behave themselves and live up to the occasion, help out in the kitchen before and after and not break any dishes or glasses. The cats will be banned to the bedrooms, I will not need them underfoot, maybe they'll come out afterwards. So all this is supposed to cheer me up and not let me fall into depression without wheels and no place to go now or after the holidays until I am mobile again one way or another.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That's nice that you got lots of responses though. Did you have to give a photo? I wonder if I could find a dating site for vegetarians. That would be fun.
Yes, a photo is required. I'm sure you could find something like that, just be careful of fake accounts.

I saw someone on Tinder that I've known for years (I know his father too). He even had pictures of a recent wedding that I knew about but didn't attend (I also saw people that I know in the photo from the wedding). I matched with him and asked him about it and he denied knowing me and denied knowing anything about the wedding so whoever made that account is using his pictures because that guy knows me for sure. I doubt he would lie, that would be weird.

So, bottomline, be careful. Lots of fake accounts and shady people.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somehow I just didn't have anything to say. Everything here is a big disappointment and I wish I had found a way to stay in sunny SoCal. It's so cold all the time now that I don't want to go outside, I'm turning into a hermit and that is no way to find new friends or even acquaintances.
I feel the same way when I get depressed, like I don't have anything to say. But I force myself to come here and be with people and just hope things will get better. 💜

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already have things planned: glazed ham, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes with orange sauce without any marshmallows, green beans and asparagus (no casseroles here), green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and avocados and a rose wine to go with dinner. Trays with cookies, fruit and chocolates to snack on before and after, I made a big dish of my son's Whiskey Fudge (I posted the recipe here a few years ago and got rave reviews, if there is a demand I will post it again), hot spiced cider, eggnog with or without brandy, a big pot of coffee and hot chocolate for those who are so inclined, DIL will bring chocolate pie for desert.

Sounds delicious!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news! An e-mail was just sent out about the vaping and how it follows the smoking rules, so it is not allowed in certain areas, including in the store. At least I know the manager is on my side, and should take this seriously. Hopefully the workers will listen. If not, I'll bring it to my bosses awareness.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
OK, here goes, this was called "Raymond Evans' Jack Daniels Whiskey Fudge"

5 cups sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup whole milk
1 1,2 teaspoons vanilla extract
25 large marshmallows ripped in half or equivalent small ones
11.5 ozs 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup Jack Daniels whiskey or any whiskey you really like as you will really taste it

Whisk whiskey with the powdered sugar, then set aside
foil and butter a 9 X 13 baking pan
Put sugar, butter, milk and vanilla into a large heavy pot with a heavy bottom, stirring steadily over medium heat (so it does not scorch) until it boils, continue stirring while letting it boil for 3 minutes (time it, that is important), then remove from heat.
Add the marshmallows and chocolate, stirring until all of it is melted and blended into the sugar mixture
Give the whiskey mixture a quick stir and add it to the pot, stirring until fully incorporated
Pour it into the greased pan and chill. Let it mellow for at least 24 hours before cutting. Enjoy!

I have also made it with rum instead of whiskey which was quite tasty, and also with brandy which was ok but not great. I would suppose that any strong flavored alcoholic beverage you favor would give satisfactory results.

Anyone who makes it please let me know how you like it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news! An e-mail was just sent out about the vaping and how it follows the smoking rules, so it is not allowed in certain areas, including in the store. At least I know the manager is on my side, and should take this seriously. Hopefully the workers will listen. If not, I'll bring it to my bosses awareness.
Yep, for workplace safety purposes, vaping is treated the same as smoking. Pursue it with OSHA if you have to.

To be fair, I find vape odor to be much less allergenic than smoke. Tobacco smoke makes my throat close up immediately. Vapor is only mildly irritating, like an air freshener. Granted, breathing in anything that isn't pure air is not good for your lungs, but second-hand vapor is definitely better than second-hand smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.