The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So that company I did two interviews with and never heard back from just posted the exact same position on Indeed.com As in posted 6 hours ago. Should I re-apply? Contact the hiring manager and inquire about the position? Although if he never responded to my follow up emails and phone call he might not respond now either:dunno::gaah: Or just chalk it up to a strange interview experience and not bother to apply for any future positions at that company?
Since some time has passed, I'm going to guess that they hired someone and that someone no longer works there.
You may have dodged a bullet with this company. I personally would not bother with them.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want non-GMO, great for you. I just want the option of GMO. Mostly because I think it'll make things better for me as far as local water sources and needing less pesticides, a little of social conscience in that the science will help keep people in famine and drought areas from starving.

It's like organics. I don't believe that organic is all that it's cracked up to be, and I want the option of non-organic. My bananas can use fertilizer that isn't manure and can have chemical pesticides that are super effective and need to be applied a lot less liberally than organic pesticides. I just want to walk into a store aisle and find stuff that isn't emblazoned "non-GMO".

Since some time has passed, I'm going to guess that they hired someone and that someone no longer works there.
You may have dodged a bullet with this company. I personally would not bother with them.
LTS3 LTS3 kashmir64 kashmir64 is the voice of wisdom. If a company has high turnover, then the company is the problem and you don't want to work there. I should have listened to the little warning voice in my head when I started at a place and found out they had gone through 9 people in 5 years.

Food safety question. I got Jimmy Johns for lunch, and on a side note I can't rave about that place too much. No minimum delivery order price and I get my food in 15 or so minutes usually. Anyway I forgot about my kosher dill pickle and it sat out half the day, 11 hours. It's not meat, and it has tons of vinegar in it. Think it's still safe to eat? I'll stick it in the fridge for the night and see what the general consensus is in the morning.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want non-GMO, great for you. I just want the option of GMO. Mostly because I think it'll make things better for me as far as local water sources and needing less pesticides, a little of social conscience in that the science will help keep people in famine and drought areas from starving.

It's like organics. I don't believe that organic is all that it's cracked up to be, and I want the option of non-organic. My bananas can use fertilizer that isn't manure and can have chemical pesticides that are super effective and need to be applied a lot less liberally than organic pesticides. I just want to walk into a store aisle and find stuff that isn't emblazoned "non-GMO".

LTS3 LTS3 kashmir64 kashmir64 is the voice of wisdom. If a company has high turnover, then the company is the problem and you don't want to work there. I should have listened to the little warning voice in my head when I started at a place and found out they had gone through 9 people in 5 years.

Food safety question. I got Jimmy Johns for lunch, and on a side note I can't rave about that place too much. No minimum delivery order price and I get my food in 15 or so minutes usually. Anyway I forgot about my kosher dill pickle and it sat out half the day, 11 hours. It's not meat, and it has tons of vinegar in it. Think it's still safe to eat? I'll stick it in the fridge for the night and see what the general consensus is in the morning.
I like Jimmy John's too. I always order online and pick it up. They have never failed me. I'd eat the pickle. For sure.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or the position I applied for was filled and this new one is for a position that is now available because someone else left :think: Or it could be a newly added position since I was told that the company is expanding. The turnover rate is high but that's mostly due to the fact that they use undergrad interns from a local college and then hire them after graduation. People stick around for a little while after graduation and then leave for other jobs.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I would forget about this company altogether.
It sounds like a poor hiring process, human resources. It is pretty obvious the want cheap labor: i.e., kids out of school.. they do not care about the turnover rate. Once the 'kids' smarten up, learn, get a bit of experience, they move on.. the company does absolutely nothing to entice them to stay on..

It does not sound like a good place to work in.

Plus they never returned your calls, messages.. a huge sign of a company that either does not want to employ you, for whatever reason. That could be you experience. They do not want 'older, experienced' employees because they have been around and 'know' too much..

No, not a good fit..

They still have your resume, and contact info..

cross this company off your list.
sorry...:alright:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
For those who can successfully and routinely pill a cat, how do you do it? I don't give the pain pills that much because it is such a struggle, even though Montressor clearly feels better once it kicks in. Once I get the pill in the mouth he immediately starts twisting to shake his head side to side no matter how good of a grip I've got on his mouth and he's pretty strong for a 19 year old cat. Plus he backs up and with me having one hand on his mouth the other arm cannot control all movement. If I hold him so he can't back up, then he twists sideways under my arm and hand and pulls out forward.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
arouetta arouetta - people are so concerned about "expired" food it's ridiculous. Pickling and salting was done so that food would not spoil before there was refrigeration. Same with smoking and drying, ever hear of pemmican? I thought you did, that stuff lasts forever. I see people dumping perfectly good cans and jars of unopened food because the "best when" date has passed. Now there are labels on all kinds of food to refrigerate them when that is absolutely not necessary. You can google spoil dates and you'll be surprised. Just make sure it's a site with science backing it up, not some yokel who put up a site. I leave my jam and jelly out, homemade or bought, for weeks, same with things that are highly acid (pickles, ketchup, salsa, sauerkraut), they'll be eaten long before there is a chance for them to develop mold, just be sure to always use clean utensils when you dig in there for more, a bit of butter etc will introduce spoilage. Peanut butter does not need refrigeration and honey has been known to never ever spoil, even that found in the Egyptian pyramids has been shown to be free of spoilage as has frozen mammoth meat. If you get mold on the outside of cheese then just cut that off, the rest of the cheese will be just fine, surely you would not want to throw out a whole wheel of cheese? And of course the "blue" in blue cheese is also a mold and people eat that. You'll also be surprised how much more room there suddenly is in your fridge.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I am always worried about nasty bacteria, but I was pretty sure the vinegar would make it okay. So now the pickle is on the menu for lunch. :yess:

I knew about cheese and mold, but I had heard that when soft cheese gets mold (like cottage cheese) that should be thrown out as the spores would be everywhere, not just where it's visible.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Pill Pockets or other pill dough. You just offer the dough-covered pill as a treat and let your cat eat it.
I forgot the Pill Pockets at the vet, I called and told them to give it to someone who they knew had financial problems. I have other soft treats and it worked one time. After that Montressor sniffed the treats in my hand and instead of chowing down like he has done 100% of the time he simply petted himself on my hand. With treats left on the floor he either walked away or ate around the pill. After the fourth time of treat failure, my guess is that he's smelling the pill, and I had to resort to pilling him.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am always worried about nasty bacteria, but I was pretty sure the vinegar would make it okay. So now the pickle is on the menu for lunch. :yess:

I knew about cheese and mold, but I had heard that when soft cheese gets mold (like cottage cheese) that should be thrown out as the spores would be everywhere, not just where it's visible.
One thing I've never understood is why some people still drink raw milk. The mere thought of doing that makes me feel ill. Pasteurization is a wonderful thing that has saved many lives.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I've never understood is why some people still drink raw milk. The mere thought of doing that makes me feel ill. Pasteurization is a wonderful thing that has saved many lives.
There are enzymes and stuff that make raw milk beneficial, so I understand the desire. And if you've got the cow (or goat) right there in front of you, go wild! (OK, bleh, the thought of drinking milk warm from the animal grosses me out.) But keeping raw milk for any amount of time is just not safe. And that's just that.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand the desire. Raw milk was killing kids in orphanages, which is what led to the invention of pasteurized milk. Who wants to die from bad milk? There are other less painful ways of offing yourself.

Jumping tracks, I failed Physics 101 again. I've got a lot of Sodastream syrup bottles that have very little left in them, not even enough for one bottle of soda. I figured that if I open the new bottles, I could pour the old ones in there and free up room in my beverage drawer. So I opened one, poured the old one in, looked at the liquid level which didn't seem high at all, and I capped it. And the syrup overflowed. I opened it, looked at the liquid level again which was well into the bottle, capped it to see if the same thing would happen and liquid leaked out. Then I realized the problem. The cap is used for measuring the syrup and is shaped like a cup. Actually shaped like a drinking glass, the sides are tall. And just like Will and Jack Sparrow with the rowboat in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie the center trapped in air, so there was no place for the liquid to go except around the sides. Duh, why didn't I think of that before I tried combining the bottles?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm on the bus right now, and the driver is eating a McMuffin. The smell is driving me crazy :drool:
~drools lightly on keyboard~ love those things...

I see people dumping perfectly good cans and jars of unopened food because the "best when" date has passed.
I've found my eyes and nose to be the best tools for judging when to get rid of stuff. I won't touch anything that has green bread mold on it, not even after tearing the moldy bit off, but that's because I'm allergic to penicillin, and just can't take the chance. Eggs? I do the float test, and anything that still has it's bottom touching the bottom of the bowl is fine. If it completely floats, it is gone.

NOW...SPRITE NEWS...this is a cut and paste from a PM...

OK...The big news. SPRITE! Sprite is kinda-sorta normal. One kidney is about 15% smaller than the other, but seems healthy. All other organs are fine, EXCEPT that she has NO OVARIES, and her uterus is malformed. Her new brother (and doctor) will spay her anyway when she is totally over all infections and anemia as he is slightly concerned that the malformed uterus might be susceptible to cancers or infections down the road. AND her new Mama will know what to watch for in case of incipient UTIs from the smaller kidney. They DO NOT think that will be an issue, but will watch it just to be safe. SO...she is going HOME tomorrow, she and her little friend! I'm so happy, but a bit sad as well. I won't know anymore how she is, but I have a feeling that if something were to happen, Mrs. Miller would let me know. I am content. OH...the new friend is now named "Imp," since that seemed to go well with "Sprite."

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<--drinks raw milk. It's delicious. Never got sick from it :) The secret is finding a clean source.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
<--drinks raw milk. It's delicious. Never got sick from it :) The secret is finding a clean source.
:yeah:

Humans had been drinking raw milk for centuries before Mr. Pasteur came along; camels milk, sheeps milk, goats milk, cow milk... The problems began when people forgot the importance of cleanliness. Considering that milk is pure and sterile before it exits the teat and comes into contact with an environment. If that environment isn't as clean as possible, there is more danger of contamination.

These days there are machines that connect directly to the teat/udder, so it's more of a matter of keeping the machines and the environment cleaned and sterilized. So, yeah, a clean facility is key for raw milk.

Pasteurization is lazy... it's the "well, since we can't guarantee cleanliness, we'll just kill it 'til it's safe" mentality.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people died from bad milk in the past. It was A Thing. Sure, maybe it was because of cleanliness. . .even now we can't necessarily guarantee that everything is clean, even with food safety laws and standards, and understanding of bacteria and sanitation, which they didn't have back then. I don't consider it a good risk unless, as I said, you own the cow or goat and drink the milk within a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.