The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I found the answer... buried in the DOR web site:angrywoman: Tax forms with a payment voucher that are printed with a 2D barcode are sent to PO Box 1234.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Eh, for me it depends on what the genetic modification is, ya know? Like Roundup-ready. OK, that encourages more pesticide use, but there are definitely worse pesticides than Roundup. So fine. But I'm a little suspicious about cutworm-resistant. It explodes the cutworms' stomachs. I'm sort of worried that maybe that might not be so great for the digestive systems of other kinds of critters, including humans. Idk. Just seems a little iffy there.

Quite agree. It's one thing to help evolution along by selective breeding, it's another thing altogether to interfere on the molecular level, something that Mother Nature would never do, or to insert genes from non-plants into plants. So, no, I do not want GMO foods. Sure, people would avoid GMO foods altogether if they were labelled thus, but put "non-GMO" on a label and people will buy that and still also buy GMO foods. Thank goodness I have a garden where I grow veggies, no artificial fertilizer, just compost from the horse stables, and there are several farmers' markets around which are certified and who proudly display their certifications so that I can get those fruit and veggies which I don't grow myself and still have clean, wholesome food. Maybe that's why I am so healthy at my age and have none of those "civilized" diseases from which so many Americans suffer once they hit a certain age.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I'd go with the government's instructions instead of H&R's instructions since it's the government's paperwork.

But an easier option might be to call and ask. This early in tax season there shouldn't be much of a phone queue wait.

Edit: Oops. I didn't read all the way to the end of the thread. :oops:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I'll read everything I missed later, but I just need to vent right now. Not that long ago I trained a new guy on how to unload and check off the truck and run third shift (the guy who couldn't retain information). Well, he was supposed to work second shift Saturday, and didn't show. He was supposed to work third last night, didn't show. I got called in. The other person trained on third shift (the third person left the store) is working days, because every hand is on deck to get the store ready for inspection. Which means, until further notice, I have no time off. I'd be upset--but I'm too tired.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I never do mail order taxes-been using turbo tax for many years=they send it electronically. If you do the 1040ez form efile is free but because I had one stupid form to fill out I had to pay 29.99 but I got my direct deposit in a week so it was worth the fee. No dumb check to deposit and wait. If you want a new computer=check out craigslist/yard sales=someone is always upgrading. Just format the hard drive to start over but make sure you have the programs you want to install on CD or backup on zip file type thingy...it's been a long time since I bought a computer..the last one I purchased from a coworker so it was cleared of their files. But if it was me I wouldn't buy a used computer from a stranger-who knows what's hidden on it.

Check out ebay/amazon for cheap new computers-you can just purchase the tower since you already have all the other parts...

Diet?? Someone here has been making homemade cookies for a few weeks..guess where they ended up? On my hips LOLOL...I will just have to bike more... today tomorrow and wednesday lol.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it that sugar free Jello, fruit jams/preserves and soda have hardly any calories compared to the regular stuff, sugar free pudding, hot cocoa and Nesquik have about half the calories of the regular stuff, but sugar free chocolate candy has the same number of calories and sometimes a bit more calories? Where are all the calories coming from if the sugar is removed? How do other foods that remove the sugar drop the calories if the calories in candy aren't coming from sugar?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it that sugar free Jello, fruit jams/preserves and soda have hardly any calories compared to the regular stuff, sugar free pudding, hot cocoa and Nesquik have about half the calories of the regular stuff, but sugar free chocolate candy has the same number of calories and sometimes a bit more calories? Where are all the calories coming from if the sugar is removed? How do other foods that remove the sugar drop the calories if the calories in candy aren't coming from sugar?
I would guess it is because of fat. Each gram of fat actually has more calories than each gram of sugar.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
But Nesquik has different calories, even if you use the same milk. Jello brand pudding has about half the calories when using the same milk. So sugar apparently counts for a lot. There was one brand of chocolate, I want to say Reese's individual peanut butter cups, where the sugar free variety had 10 more calories per serving than the regular stuff.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, FB comes up with some interesting cat videos.

Wow! That reminds me of Sirius, the pure-bred Basenji we had when I was a girl. (Basenji - Wikipedia) Basenjis don't bark; their larynxes aren't right for barking, but we also had a German Shepherd mix named Princess who barked a lot, so Sirius taught himself to bark! It was a pretty hoarse sounding bark, but it was definitely a bark. It sounds to me like that cat is trying to bark like a dog.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That reminds me of Sirius, the pure-bred Basenji we had when I was a girl. (Basenji - Wikipedia) Basenjis don't bark; their larynxes aren't right for barking, but we also had a German Shepherd mix named Princess who barked a lot, so Sirius taught himself to bark! It was a pretty hoarse sounding bark, but it was definitely a bark. It sounds to me like that cat is trying to bark like a dog.

Margret
What got me is that the other cat has heard it so much that it wasn't even worth a foot twitch. I looked carefully at the other cat, it's breathing so it's not a realistic stuffed animal.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They probably have to add MORE milkfat and cocoa butter to make up for the nasty taste of sugar-free sweeteners :D.
Aspartame is so nasty. It really should be taken off of the market. I personally know not one but TWO people who were diagnosed with (my mind has gone blank) either MD or MS who became totally symptom-free after deleting aspartame from their diets. TOTALLY SYMPTOM FREE. And for YEARS now. I can't touch the stuff. More than a swallow or two of anything containing aspartame sends me to the hospital with violent headaches.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm probably about to start a firestorm that the mods are going to be tearing their hair out over, but hopefully it doesn't get that bad. Sorry in advance mods.

Everything I see in stores to buy says "Non GMO". What if I want to buy GMO food? Where do I find that? If they can insert a bit of genetic coding that makes the plant need less water, then less precious water is being sprayed in farmers' fields. If they can insert a bit of genetic coding that makes the plant more resistant to common pests, then there's less pesticides being used. If they can insert a bit of code that makes the plant produce protein or more nutritious in other ways, that's more nutrition in my body. And if buying this stuff makes the seeds cheaply available to Third World farmers who don't have enough water, no access to pesticides to save most of the crops, and not enough crops to prevent malnutrition, then I don't mind my grocery money going to Monsanto so people in need get these seeds.
If you think about it, everything we eat is genetically modified. Farmers have been using selective breeding since farming existed.
Somehow, my housecats who never go outside for worms. We had to wait for John to have a weekday off to take them to the vet to be dewormed. We'd rather let the vet pill them than go through the battle ourselves and Marcy still needs her shots anyway. So they're all going tomorrow.
Little man is great - growing like crazy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So that company I did two interviews with and never heard back from just posted the exact same position on Indeed.com As in posted 6 hours ago. Should I re-apply? Contact the hiring manager and inquire about the position? Although if he never responded to my follow up emails and phone call he might not respond now either:dunno::gaah: Or just chalk it up to a strange interview experience and not bother to apply for any future positions at that company?

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite agree. It's one thing to help evolution along by selective breeding, it's another thing altogether to interfere on the molecular level, something that Mother Nature would never do, or to insert genes from non-plants into plants. So, no, I do not want GMO foods. Sure, people would avoid GMO foods altogether if they were labelled thus, but put "non-GMO" on a label and people will buy that and still also buy GMO foods. Thank goodness I have a garden where I grow veggies, no artificial fertilizer, just compost from the horse stables, and there are several farmers' markets around which are certified and who proudly display their certifications so that I can get those fruit and veggies which I don't grow myself and still have clean, wholesome food. Maybe that's why I am so healthy at my age and have none of those "civilized" diseases from which so many Americans suffer once they hit a certain age.
I have a real problem with GMO's. Ever since our neighbor decided to use GMO round up ready seeds, the spraying has been insane and uncontrolled and pretty much nonstop.
I'm not looking for a debate, but I will say I buy non-GMO foods for our own kitchen and it's a huge boost in interest when it comes to buyers/patrons.
I don't agree with the "science" that says that GMO's are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.