The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was going to college in the Napa Valley (Northern California, for those without the proper frame of reference) we actually had a snow storm. Maybe, oh, 3/4 of an inch? Something like that; utterly negligible in Colorado, but it came extremely close to shutting the school down because no one had snow shovels. :lol:

Then when my brother got married and I stayed at their house in Southern California to take care of his wife's daughter from a previous marriage during their honeymoon, one day on the freeway entrance ramp the car in front of me dropped a snow shovel right in front of me; I couldn't possibly miss it because I was accelerating for the freeway. I'm lucky it didn't damage my undercarriage. What they were doing traveling in Southern California with a snow shovel on top of their car I'll never know. :dunno:

And in, hmm, must have been summer or autumn of 1972, I actually saw it snow in Glendale, CA (definitely Southern California)! Just a tiny flurry, on a bright, sunny day. It lasted maybe all of five minutes and most of the flakes melted in mid-air, but they were genuine snow flakes. I've seen a lot of strange things over the decades, but I believe that may have been the strangest.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a book from Amazon on Christmas Day. As of right now, the tracking says it hasn't shipped yet, but also that I'll receive it tomorrow.

I have my doubts :think:
When I was editing a computer hobbyist magazine in Bend, Oregon we needed a new printer who could accept a disk with files in our new format. Our editor and publisher looked around and finally found one in Seattle, so I was sent to the post office (which handled both mail and FedEx) to ship it with FedEx, for the tracking (yes, I know you can get that with mail, too). And it didn't arrive. The printer got antsy and called the editor and publisher about it. He came to me - had I really shipped it FedEx? I pulled out the receipt, with the tracking number on it. He called FedEx. And FedEx verified that it had entered the system, and said that it had then immediately disappeared. They didn't know where it was.

Okay, desperate situations require desperate measures. The editor and publisher made a copy of the backup disk and shipped it to Seattle, via the U.S. Postal Service, and, sure enough, the printer called and said it had arrived okay. And the very next day the postal carrier returned the original package to us in our regular mail delivery, rejected for insufficient postage. :lol: Best guess -- it fell off a counter at the post office and whoever finally found it put it in the wrong bin.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John's mom didn't end up taking him to Wal Mart last night. She said she was too tired. So, still no car. Grrr. With her working days and him working evenings, coordinating during the week is difficult. She said she might be able to do it during her lunch hour. I hope so because I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John's mom didn't end up taking him to Wal Mart last night. She said she was too tired. So, still no car. Grrr. With her working days and him working evenings, coordinating during the week is difficult. She said she might be able to do it during her lunch hour. I hope so because I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.
:vibes: :hugs: :catlove: :crossfingers:

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a book from Amazon on Christmas Day. As of right now, the tracking says it hasn't shipped yet, but also that I'll receive it tomorrow.

I have my doubts :think:

I have an Amazon order that was placed early last week and is supposed to arrive tomorrow but it hasn't been shipped yet either :dunno: No tracking number for the package yet. I would have bought the item from the seller's Etsy shop where items are shipped within 24 hours but I had an Amazon gift card I needed to use.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always gotten my Amazon orders very quickly - with the exception of some cat litter I ordered a while back. Never arrived. I suspect it may have been stolen after delivery - we were having a lot of mail theft at that time. But Amazon fully refunded the purchase.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should note that I don't use Amazon Prime.

Stolen packages has been a problem where I live in the past few years as more apartment complexes opened up in the area:angrywoman: Sephora packages are notorious for being stolen, hence why in the face moisturizer thread I mentioned that I would go to a store to buy products instead of having them shipped.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an Amazon order that was placed early last week and is supposed to arrive tomorrow but it hasn't been shipped yet either :dunno: No tracking number for the package yet. I would have bought the item from the seller's Etsy shop where items are shipped within 24 hours but I had an Amazon gift card I needed to use.
I used a gift card too, actually-wonder if it has anything to do with that?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone on our local swap shop is looking for a kitten because theirs died. A bunch of people have already posted offering kittens. Not one of them has asked how the original kitten died. That's the first thing I wondered. I wouldn't want to give a kitten to someone if they lost one to irresponsibility or something. It may have been something unavoidable, but I would want to know before offering another one. Or am I just crazy?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Thanks. We only have street parking so we're just gonna get some kind of charger. This is the coldest winter I remember. I don't know if it got this bad when I was a kid. It's pretty inconvenient.

With street parking you cannot run an extension cord from your car to wherever you have an outlet. The only solution is for the battery to be taken out of the car and brought inside and let the trickle charger run all night. Then put the battery back in the car. Also be sure to scrape the battery posts with steel wool until they are shiny to make sure you have good contact. As long as you have that horrible cold you have to do the same thing the next day/evening and hope that baby is not going to wake you up saying NOW! when the battery has run down again. Or you could invest in a good pair of jumper cables and ask a friendly neighbor to give you a "jump", the usual problem is that people don't have cables. I've had mine for years, have given jumps to others and I keep them in the trunk, they come in a neat zippered bag with instructions right on the bag.
If you think this is one of the coldest winters and that it did not used to be this cold you are probably correct. Global warming has brought warm temps where it should be cool and cold temps where it should be warm and the temps everywhere are in the extremes. There is a difference between weather and climate and the overall climate has been warmer although where it's supposed to be cool or cold it has been REALLY cold, that is "weather" and it's local. Climate is over large regions.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used a gift card too, actually-wonder if it has anything to do with that?
I never use a gift card and had this happen with almost every order. I have an order right now that is supposed to arrive Friday..still says it hasn't been shipped.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an Amazon order that will probably arrive today, but its scheduled day was Friday. That's rare---usually Prime packages are on time or even early. A co-worker told me that if I complain they'll send me another batch or refund me but I don't want to do that. I don't need more than what I ordered (it's not a consumable like cat food) and I don't think they should have to give a full refund just because UPS was slow.

But it does say it was shipped! It's weird that yours isn't even saying it was shipped. Is it from China?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an Amazon order that will probably arrive today, but its scheduled day was Friday. That's rare---usually Prime packages are on time or even early. A co-worker told me that if I complain they'll send me another batch or refund me but I don't want to do that. I don't need more than what I ordered (it's not a consumable like cat food) and I don't think they should have to give a full refund just because UPS was slow.

But it does say it was shipped! It's weird that yours isn't even saying it was shipped. Is it from China?
I ordered from Amazon itself, rather than a third party, so it ought to be coming from a stateside warehouse, right?

I had sent an inquiry to customer service, and they wrote back with an apology, saying they were now preparing it for shipment. The status still hasn't changed, though :dunno:

ETA-NOW it says it's shipped.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I ordered something from Amazon a few years ago and it did not arrive so told the manufacturer in China that I needed a replacement. Within a week it arrived. 2 days later the original order arrived. I asked the manufacturer what they wanted me to do, they said just keep it, no extra charge. It was not anything expensive and my granddaughter was happy to receive two of the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.