The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be fair, I have spilled gas on my hands (usually when filling the gas cans for the mower; filling a car is pretty foolproof), but, um, wash your hands? The smell lingers a bit but not that long. Nah, I can't imagine anyone around here wanting full service unless they're disabled but I suppose if someone is used to it they might feel weird about it. But still, that seems kinda silly. I wouldn't want to pay for full service!
The native Oregonians have never known anything else, and tend to believe the propaganda. They've never actually pumped their own gas, so they have no way to know that it doesn't make you smell like gas all day, or that the nozzles have those rubber guards on them that keep the fumes in the tank. If they do have to pump their own gas in an emergency I'm afraid that they'll have a steep learning curve.

The incomers are largely retirees who are getting on in years, have enough money that they can afford to pamper themselves, and are a bit worried about how long they'll still be physically able to pump their own gas. And they feel like they've pumped enough gas already; it's time to quit. :dunno: Who am I to second guess them? They've made the choice that seems good to them, and I believe in Democracy. And yes, when I lived in Oregon I voted against this law.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here, gas station attendants are nice enough to pump for older people for free if they need the help. Maybe that's just a small town, rural thing, I dunno.
I think it's an ADA requirement. There are signs on the pumps here saying that anyone who is physically unable to pump their own should honk the horn and someone will come help them.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
And again not getting notifications. Blech.

I'm from Oregon. There's been a few times that my mom and I compared gas prices and I was paying more for self-service in Virginia than she was paying for full-service in Oregon.

At least on the East Coast, very few gas stations have those rubber pieces meant to keep fumes from escaping. And when I do get gas on my hands, nothing but time gets rid of the smell, no matter how thoroughly I scrub my hands.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
very few gas stations have those rubber pieces meant to keep fumes from escaping
Yeah, those are kind of rare, only at the ritzy gas stations, lol. But newer cars all have the auto-closing tanks so there isn't a lot of fuming going on. Or maybe my nose just isn't very sensitive, idk. It's not a thing I think about while I'm doing it, unless a strong cold wind is blowing, brrrr.

I can see not wanting to get out of the car in bad weather. Other than that I think the other reasons are a reach. But eh. If that's what the majority wants. . .

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stopped by to see what's on topic. Since you're talking fuel vehicles...I always wonder if most people are unaware of this hazard. With this severe cold hitting areas in the coming weeks, many may want to set the fuel pump trigger and get back into the warm interior of their vehicles while it fuels.

Note of Caution: There has been instances of people doing this, and with the dry cold climates static electricity can be generated on your person from sliding back into the car seat. The pump auto shuts off and the person touches the fuel nozzle. Should you ground out, the arc could possible ignite the fuel vapors emitting from your car's fuel spout. I know my vehicle's seats are notorious for making me aware of this. I sometimes use static guard on my seats so the static arc doesn't crack my knuckles for me (caution: The static guard spray mist may be flammable until it dries)). While in a company vehicle I once had the auto shutoff to fail to actuate. Good thing I was standing close by. Some fuel station pumps may have a static electricity warning attached on the facing.

This lady lost her car to this situation. Static Electricity Fires Are a Peril at the Pump

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My car has leather seats, so there is little to no static. But, if for any reason I get into my car, I always touch the roof to 'de-charge' myself first.

This is a really good warning for people not aware this can happen. In Arizona we have those warnings on the pump since there is very little moisture in the air and static electricity can happen year round.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
While everyone was asleep last night, Felix had an irresistible craving for popcorn. He had remembered stealing a piece from me the other day. So, while everyone was asleep, he hopped on to the kitchen table, snatched the bag of organic popcorn kernels and took it into the basement. He ripped the bag open and was shocked to see that there was no popcorn, just unpoped kernals. So he left the scattered kernals on the ground and went to sleep. The next morning, when I discovered what he had done, I explained to him that it's not that simple. Mommy has to heat up some oil on the stove for the kernals to turn into popcorn. Then, I took the same kernals and made him a little bit to snack on. I hope he's satisfied.

Attachments

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it matters that you have leather seats, since feet rubbing on the carpet or plastic mats can also build up a static charge.

Plus one should stay out with the pump. What if something malfunctions and the gas doesn't stop coming out when the tank is filled? That happened to me, I was pumping and gas started flowing out from around the nozzle. What happens if you get that jerk who think it'll be funny to mess with the nozzle while you are inside the car?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up here we don't have the huge stations like you do in the city. I only usually get gas at one place, a little country store that has two pumps. I'm never in the car for more than a minute and don't go into it if it's anywhere near full. Only when I first start pumping and only if necessary. If anyone were to mess with the nozzle, people would see it, and everyone would know who it was. Fortunately, the people up here aren't like that.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never use the switch to make it keep pumping. I just hold it. It's not that inconvenient and I'd rather not have it keep running and end up paying for gas that spills on the ground.
I used to get shocked a lot after getting out of my car when I lived in the desert. I always made sure to touch the car before touching the pump. It's not much of a problem here in Missouri. We have plenty of humidity.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My car has leather seats, so there is little to no static. But, if for any reason I get into my car, I always touch the roof to 'de-charge' myself first.

This is a really good warning for people not aware this can happen. In Arizona we have those warnings on the pump since there is very little moisture in the air and static electricity can happen year round.
In the article I linked referenced a video (now removed I believe) where a lady simply rubbed her hands on her garment or coat and it caused a static discharge. They say the station's cameras caught it happening. Her outer garment was polyester. I picked up a pair of cheap work jeans the other day. Figured I'd break them in while doing home repair and cat chores, when I noticed cat hair was readily clinging to them. That's a good indicator of synthetic cloth in the mix. Even my cats are like electric eels...if I hug them or touch for any reason I get zapped (setting up humidifiers soon. 11% RH inside).

It is just safer to stay outside while fueling. The article mentioned a lady allowed her 10 year old to fuel, while she stayed in the vehicle. The auto shutoff failed, and he called for her. The fuel soaked pavement ignited the moment her shoes touched it.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Is anyone here from Oregon? I just saw a post full of people losing their minds because they might have to pump their own gas. One woman even said it should only be done by specially trained individuals. That cracked me up. I've been pumping gas since I was 5 years old. I used to beg my mom to let me do it. It's just so foreign to me to think of adults who have no idea how to pump gas and are terrified of it. I hope I'm not offending anyone here, but some of these people are just nuts. Talk about an overreaction!
Once upon a time stations in California had different prices depending if you pumped your own gas, used a credit card or went for the all-out full service. I pumped my own and paid cash. In 2000 I visited Oregon and found I could NOT pump my own gas, I thought that was weird. Now I still pump my own gas and use a debit card to pay for it (ARCO does not accept credit cards).

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I'm not from Oregon, but I used to live there. The law in Oregon is that only a gas station employee can pump gas, and the voters have repeatedly shouted down any attempt to change it. Every time it comes up for a vote the industry trots out stories about gas station explosions caused by untrained people pumping their own gas, but I think the real reason the voters keep retaining the law is that they like being able to go to a proper "service station" (which there are very few of in states that allow self-pumping). It sounds like the woman who was quoted is a native Oregonian and has been listening to all the industry propaganda. Incidentally, when we lived in Oregon gas prices were extremely high because of this law, and, at least in Bend, there were long-standing rumors that the stations were collaborating to fix the prices artificially high.

There actually have been cases of the fumes coming out of the gas tank being set on fire by static electricity. That is why there are signs at the gas stations here to step back from the car after you have started the gasoline delivery, that there is no smoking at gas stations etc. When i first heard of that I thought it was a joke but apparently it is really true. Of course there are now "collars" at the pump that keep the gas fumes from escaping from the tank. The occasional fires have nothing to do with "untrained" people dispensing gas.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, certainly. Static electricity can be a big problem around a gas pump, as can cigarettes. I remember once in a gas station, looking in my rear view mirror at the car behind me. The man was out of the car, pumping gas into the tank, while his wife (I assume) sat in the car with the windows open and lit up a cigarette. I don't like confronting people over their poor behavior in public, but this time I had to. She had no idea how dangerous this was. When I told her that she shouldn't smoke while her husband pumped gas she just looked puzzled and said, "But I'm in the car, not out there where the fumes are." And the windows were open, as I pointed out. I've no idea whether she changed her behavior in the future, but I hope at least she thought about what she was doing.

The thing is, these are basic safety rules, like wearing a seat belt. Even if an attendant is pumping the gas, the customers shouldn't smoke in the station and should be careful of static shock. Therefore even people who've never actually pumped their own gas should at least know about and be able to follow basic safety procedures when they have to.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I may be coming down with a cold. My nose is really runny and my eyes ate watering like crazy. Of course, it could just be allergies. I have allergies even in winter and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between allergy issues and the beginning of a cold.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not pump my own gas, for a variety of issues. One, the smell, if I get it only hands, really bothers my allergies and asthma. The other reasons is that I do not have much strength in my hands: carpal tunnel..

Yes is is cheaper, but for those reasons, I pay more money to have someone do it for me..
heck, I cannot even correctly put air int eh tires because I cannot bend my right knee, and the strength in my hand is not even to keep things constant. The last time I tried, I let out the air because I was not consistent with the pressure.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I may be coming down with a cold. My nose is really runny and my eyes ate watering like crazy. Of course, it could just be allergies. I have allergies even in winter and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between allergy issues and the beginning of a cold.
Do you usually take anything specific for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.