Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
:D

There is a pediatrician in a nearby town whose last name is Isburg. Pronounced like iceberg or eyes-berg, close enough. He likes to tell kids that his cousin starred in Titanic.:flail:
I named my second son Michael which apparently was popular way back then as when he first went to school there were 3 boys in his class with the same name and the last name also. Now I had never called him Michael but Misha, the Russian short for Mikhail and that was the name he was used to although he did know his proper name. Come roll call there were two boys who got up but Misha just sat there. Teacher said there were 3 of them on his list and was the third one not there? Only when the teacher also said his middle name did Misha realize that he was meant. The other two boys were called Mikey and Micky respectively. So the problem was solved with Misha staying Misha and the other two boys keeping their nicknames. From a very young age when he was asked his name he would say "Misha, M-i-s-h-a, Misha". People usually did not forget, although some tried for "Mister" and "Mitchell" and other weird pronunciations which he then would correct with his "Misha, M-i-s-h-a, Misha", didn't you hear me?" He just would not put up with people mispronouncing his name which is really quite easy. However, he was never bullied because of his name, perhaps because he was quite arrogant (still is) and would let everything just roll off him, saying he had no use for ignorant people and that he would not fight with unarmed people. He has been trying to get his name officially changed to Misha but never goes quite through with it.
I can't say I blame him as I have done the same thing, I refuse to have my name changed to the English pronunciation (which has only 2 syllables in English and French but has 3 in my language and most other languages where it is used: Spanish, Russian, the original Greek, Italian, the Skandinavian and Eastern European languages) because of lazy people who do not want to put a little effort into correct pronunciation. These same people would take umbrage if their name was grossly mispronounced someplace else.

Until not too long ago in Germany you could not name a child with a foreign language name unless it had already been used for many years. I had a friend in grade school who was named Bettina which was allowed but only because she had an Italian father who had expected to return there.They decided to stay. I have a nephew whose wife's name is Carmen, she was born in North Africa to German parents. People thought nothing of it when they returned to Germany because everyone was familiar with the opera of that name, so it was familiar but still foreign. After WWII with the influx of refugees from former German colonies in the Eastern countries (where German names had become changed with time, sometimes barely recognizable or had become old-fashioned), many foreign names showed up and then German parents liked the foreign names and gave them to their children. Now you can find German children with all kinds of names from all over the world although the Northern European names are still very popular. But they are still sticky with names that don't tell you the gender of the child. That too will change over time.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally did it. I bought a 40" RCA TV through Walmart online. With tax and warranty it was only $175. It will be here next week. I can't wait to make my son watch Alien on a bigger screen, with all the lights off in the house. He will probably never have the experience I had. In a theater, surround sound, with even the isle lights off. The theater wanted to scare the :censored: out of us, and it worked. Can't wait to do this to my son. :insertevillaugh::runaround:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently the snark sites aimed at Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer TV special are getting a lot of media attention. Which is dumb in itself. Are the reporters bored?

Anyway, I feel like a lot of people are missing the point of the show. The point is that Rudolph's dad is abusive, Santa is a jerk, and they live in an authoritarian society that institutionalizes misfit toys. But Rudolph SHOWS THEM in the end, and the abusive jerks are humbled a bit and become slightly better people (and reindeer) in the future. Right?

. . .maybe I'm the one who got the wrong message all these years. . .

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Rudolph!!! always have.. It has been a Christmas Tradition of mine, since it first aired... yes, I am that old...

Only missed it twice: once when I had pneumonia and was studying for finals in college... and the year my mom died...she loved it also..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of right-wing relatives on Facebook attacking "liberals" for saying it's problematic. Of course it's problematic! That's the whole point, right? How he showed those jerks who said they loved him but were actually abusive? I always figured that was the whole point; to be encouraging to bullied/abused kids.

At any rate they shouldn't take snark sites so seriously. There are snark sites for almost every movie and TV show. If you don't like it, don't read it.

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went today and got Aislyn enrolled in school. She starts Friday. We're going early Friday morning so we can meet her teacher and ask if there are things I can do to help her get caught up.
My mother in law is ticked off about it. She wants to bend over backwards to keep Aislyn's mother happy. Shouldn't we just do what's best for the child? This woman hasn't said a word to any of us in 2 months!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey, guys, I've been somewhat conspicuous by my absence. I thought I had "just a tummy virus on Monday, and was much better yesterday, but last night it came roaring back full force, so something more is amiss. On my way to the doctor's office. Will be back "home" on TCS ASAP!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so ticked off.:angryfire: I got a second nasty letter from a collection agency.:cloudy: I had already sent them a letter disputing the charge with proof from Medicare and my secondary insurance that this is a bogus charge due to a mistake by the billing dept where they turned in the bill twice and of course neither of them will pay it twice and neither will I. :headshake: I had told them in my letter that I wanted this taken care of within 30 days or I would turn it over to the Dept of Managed Healthcare. :bat:I got no response to my letter and no acknowledgement of my letter but now this second collection letter.:fuming: I will have to take this up with the Dept of Managed Healthcare as I had threatened.:bat: They are really good at that. :hyper:When a dentist charged me more than Delta Dental allows and they wanted to charge me the difference the Dept contacted Delta Dental who made the dentist pay me back what the dentist had overcharged me.:yess: But who wants to go through that because some billing clerk screwed up? But that's the only way I can stop them from affecting my very good credit. :hmmm: GRRRRRR!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, guys, I've been somewhat conspicuous by my absence. I thought I had "just a tummy virus on Monday, and was much better yesterday, but last night it came roaring back full force, so something more is amiss. On my way to the doctor's office. Will be back "home" on TCS ASAP!
"stomach flu's" and "tummy virus" are usually a slight case of food poisoning. Drink a lot of water to flush the poison out of your system and if it is not better by tomorrow see your doctor, if necessary go to urgent care.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you feel better soon!

Ugh, I don't know what to think right now.
After 2 months of silence from Aislyn's mother, she suddenly contacts my John today wanting to pick her up on Saturday.
Awfully convenient that this happens as soon as we've enrolled her in school.
We kept it mostly to ourselves. John told his mother, who wasn't happy about it. I don't know if I'm being crazy or paranoid, but I feel like his mother may have found a way to contact Aislyn's mother.
She claims that she enrolled her into public school where she lives. She gave us the name of the school.
She had 37 excuses for why Aislyn hasn't been in school before now and said she's been working with her at home (homeschooling without a curriculum). Well, when I asked if I should be working with Aislyn while she was here, she didn't mention that at all. She just said she hadn't gotten a curriculum yet.
Maybe MIL told her we were enrolling Aislyn yesterday so it lit a fire under her butt and she decided to get Aislyn in school there? Maybe it's coincidence?
I just want what's best for Aislyn. I hope she's really going to school. I'm very worried.
We just spent $60 on school supplies for here. John decided that we're sending them with her. Her name has already been written on everything in permanent marker. I'm taking pictures of everything and keeping the receipt in case we end up having to go to court.
What if she decides to keep Aislyn from us now? I'm just so stressed.
I mean, I don't think we were in the wrong for caring about her education. We hadn't heard a single word from her mother; she never has an active phone number.
If I find out that Aislyn really isn't going to school, I'm gonna be the first to call and report truancy. Legally, she doesn't have to be enrolled until she's 7 and her mother mentioned that when she was talking to my John. By the way, he insisted that the conversation be done entirely in FB messages so he has a record of it. He said it would be ridiculous for her to be 2 years behind her peers and I agree! Also, the law says that once she's enrolled, she has to stay enrolled in something - be it public school or an actual home school curriculum. Since we enrolled her but she hasn't attended yet, does that still count?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He said it would be ridiculous for her to be 2 years behind her peers and I agree!
She wouldn't be. Or shouldn't be anyway. I didn't go to school (or do any formal curriculum) until I was 8 and they tested me and put me in 3rd grade (my birthday was at a time when I could have gone to either 2nd or 3rd).

But I can totally see why you're worried about her education! Her mom doesn't seem to be all there. I hope it works out for the best.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I have on my mind is my grandmother. I don’t get to see her much because she still lives in Amsterdam while I’ve relocated to Orlando, Florida for work. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s about a year ago and she’s progressively getting worse. She is lashing out violently at the people she cares about the most and the last time I talked to her she belittled me for getting an injury which insinuated that I wasn’t good enough for my career in her mine. She tries to hit my siblings, my mom, and they’re thinking about putting her in a place that specializes with Alzheimer’s cases like hers, but it’s still not easy for me to cope with one of the people who was always there for me during my rough childhood is going downhill so fast that my family can’t even tend to her anymore. I’m not religious, but I’m sending so much love and positive vibes her way that she adjusts to her new living arrangements that she’ll be moving into next week.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I have on my mind is my grandmother. I don’t get to see her much because she still lives in Amsterdam while I’ve relocated to Orlando, Florida for work. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s about a year ago and she’s progressively getting worse. She is lashing out violently at the people she cares about the most and the last time I talked to her she belittled me for getting an injury which insinuated that I wasn’t good enough for my career in her mine. She tries to hit my siblings, my mom, and they’re thinking about putting her in a place that specializes with Alzheimer’s cases like hers, but it’s still not easy for me to cope with one of the people who was always there for me during my rough childhood is going downhill so fast that my family can’t even tend to her anymore. I’m not religious, but I’m sending so much love and positive vibes her way that she adjusts to her new living arrangements that she’ll be moving into next week.
Please don't take it personally. Alzheimer's destroys the brain and can cause Dementia. She literally has no idea what she's doing or the mental anguish she's causing you.
I'm not religious either, so I'm sending vibes in hopes that she can adjust to her new surroundings.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alzheimer's is horrible. My grandpa had it. By the time we lost him, he just wasn't him anymore. It was so hard seeing such a strong, independent man withering away like that. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I know you said you're not religious, but I'm praying for you.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please don't take it personally. Alzheimer's destroys the brain and can cause Dementia. She literally has no idea what she's doing or the mental anguish she's causing you.
I'm not religious either, so I'm sending vibes in hopes that she can adjust to her new surroundings.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
To me personally, it’s just frustrating that they haven’t found a better way to treat it with as much as technology has progressed over the years. For now I feel many doctors try to give people sone miracle pill to take that is supposed to fix everything and of course, it doesn’t work. Thank you for the positive vibes. She, the rest of our family, and I could seriously use them.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading an article. Apparently, they've created a vaccine that could reduce Alzheimer's cases by 50% but it's still in the testing phase. At least there's hope! But it doesn't help us now.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me personally, it’s just frustrating that they haven’t found a better way to treat it with as much as technology has progressed over the years. For now I feel many doctors try to give people sone miracle pill to take that is supposed to fix everything and of course, it doesn’t work. Thank you for the positive vibes. She, the rest of our family, and I could seriously use them.
My son is majoring in Psychology and just did a paper on Alzheimer's. Apparently scientist (?) are close to finding a cure. Not so much for people who already have it though. More for those with the gene so it won't happen. I know it's hard on you (my aunt had a stroke and has not been very lucid for 4 years), but it may be a blessing that she doesn't know where she is or how bad she's been behaving.
The only thing worse than losing your mind, it to know it's happening.:grouphug2:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can test for the gene now? My grandpa and my great aunt on his side both had it. My other great aunt on his side might have it. And my great uncle on my grandma's side has it. I think I have a high chance of having it.

Tommy End

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They can test for the gene now? My grandpa and my great aunt on his side both had it. My other great aunt on his side might have it. And my great uncle on my grandma's side has it. I think I have a high chance of having it.
They have already tested my Mom for the gene about a week ago and she seems her doctor again on Wednesday. I’m just not sure if we’ll get the results that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.