The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Beeswax lip balm is amazing.  A couple of decades ago I was using Chapstix and ended up with hives all over my lips.  I stopped using chapstick altogether until the hives went away and switched to Blistex and that lasted less than a month.  I have no idea what in those I was allergic to, but Burt's Bees had none of the same ingredients and I've been using it since.  I found another one that had all the "good" credentials (organic, free trade, plastic tubing was solely from recycled plastic) and it was also good but it had too much canola oil for my tastes.

The first book sounds like a vampire novel.  What's it about?
I was trying to figure out why my lips seem to be getting more  damaged using it--and then I read  the label instead of looking at the container. It's lotion and, specifically stated in super tiny fine print pale pink on white, is not  for lips. 

According to the back, it's an anthology of three. The first one, Oath of Service, Morgana le Fey loses a battle with a dragon and ends up pledging service to two knights of the round table while the dragon is plotting revenge for--something.

The second story, Be Careful What You Wish For, a vampire with two lovers locks horns with a wizard who "can't take no for an answer." (Actual quote from the back of the book.)

The third story, The Bloodslave,a female mercenary gets captured by three alpha vampires.

I hope they're better than the other book. I'm three pages in and I want to smack the main character upside the head (Gibbs-style) for being stupid. (I'm hoping he gets smarter--my general rule of thumb is that if I can't get into the book by page eleven, I'm not going to and it goes in the library donation bag.)

Angela Knight is a good author. I have read some of hers.  Tawny Taylor I am not familiar with. Years ago there was a time when all I read were paranormals. Back before they became so popular. Linda  miller put out 4 books that go together-those were the best paranormals I have read but I admit I haven't read any new ones in the last 12-15 years...someday I would like to get back to reading like I did as a teen.

And I triple stack my books. I should get rid of them but I just love my room of books. I have them separated by type and style but not by author yet...
I have mine sorted by mood they invoke. Did they make me laugh while giving me a high feeling of suspense (most of Jim C. Hines and some Terry Pratchett, in example)? They have a place. Did they evoke a sense of wonder and magic that drew me in? (Most of the Pern books I own and, of course, Alice in Wonderland. Sometimes you just can't beat a classic.) Was it delightful and nervewracking as the main character went through his/hers/its hero journey with times that made me want to bite my nails as I cheered for the main characters? (Most Mercedes Lackey and Jean M. Auel.) A comedic series of events that happens to also include a murder mystery? (Janet Evanovich and Donna Andrews.) Playing to my inner cynicism while still maintaining an innocent charm? (Almost all of Terry Pratchett--I'm fond of the Witches of Diskworld  series.) Making me feel philosophical and yet slightly doomed in the world as a whole? (Orson Scott Card--Ender's Game  and the Ender's Shadow  series.) Romance with comedy and adventure? (Lynsay Sands. It's not a mood I get in much.)

Question about Angela Knight--does she ever make you want to smack the main character for sheer stupidity when the character is clearly written to be smarter than that? I'm having that problem with Tawny Taylor's book.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, last night at work I made a snafu that I'm afraid might get me fired, and I want candid opinions on how deep I am and what steps I need to be taking now. Last night at work I had a customer buy a lot  of cigarettes. As in, almost a hundred cartons. Well, I didn't know it at the time, but my store has a five-carton limit. (That's a lot  more than five cartons!) Now here's the thing: this was never covered in my training. I had no  idea there was a sales limit. We covered phone fraud, funny money, at what selling point of money orders and gift cards to do an FDIC report, how to do  an FDIC report, but nothing about cigarette limits. I'm scared. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Okay, last night at work I made a snafu that I'm afraid might get me fired, and I want candid opinions on how deep I am and what steps I need to be taking now. Last night at work I had a customer buy a lot  of cigarettes. As in, almost a hundred cartons. Well, I didn't know it at the time, but my store has a five-carton limit. (That's a lot  more than five cartons!) Now here's the thing: this was never covered in my training. I had no  idea there was a sales limit. We covered phone fraud, funny money, at what selling point of money orders and gift cards to do an FDIC report, how to do  an FDIC report, but nothing about cigarette limits. I'm scared. 
How were you supposed to know if they did not train you? Isn't that THEIR responsibility? Do they think you are a mind reader? I wouldn't worry about it. Seriously. 

Is it state policy or company policy? Either way though, they are supposed to be the ones to tell you this. It is NOT your fault. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Tallyollyopia, it is definitely not your fault!   I think if it were me, I'd report it to my supervisor immediately, to demonstrate innocence -- "As soon as I realized I reported it!"  But I could be wrong about that, what do others think?

I just got a text message from @Mamanyt1953.  Her Wifi is down.  She has a repairman scheduled to come fix it, but is uncertain whether she will be able to get back on the site today.  She asked me to post so that people won't worry about her.

Margret

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@Tallyollyopia, it is definitely not your fault!  I think if it were me, I'd report it to my supervisor immediately, to demonstrate innocence -- "As soon as I realized I reported it!"  But I could be wrong about that, what do others think?

I just got a text message from @Mamanyt1953.  Her Wifi is down.  She has a repairman scheduled to come fix it, but is uncertain whether she will be able to get back on the site today.  She asked me to post so that people won't worry about her.

Margret
I agree 100%. I would do the same. It was in no way your fault Tally 

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad she's OK. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm up and running on the new site! I still have a few things to figure out about images but it seems fairly straight forward.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got new glasses last week. So far they are being really dumb. They hurt my eyes and don't seem quite right at all. I may have to go back to the optometrist at this point. I thought my eyes were adjusting, but so far not so much.

Glad the site finally allowed me to log back on. Good to see people on the new platform. :D

Favorite part so far, I can finally use Google Crome's spell check.

Bad part. My dancing bananas are gone. :(

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How were you supposed to know if they did not train you? Isn't that THEIR responsibility? Do they think you are a mind reader? I wouldn't worry about it. Seriously.

Is it state policy or company policy? Either way though, they are supposed to be the ones to tell you this. It is NOT your fault.
I don't know. Like I said, it had never come up before!

@Tallyollyopia, it is definitely not your fault! I think if it were me, I'd report it to my supervisor immediately, to demonstrate innocence -- "As soon as I realized I reported it!" But I could be wrong about that, what do others think?
Margret
Well, I thought it was odd that someone wanted so many cigarettes, so I told my manager about it as soon as he came in. That was when I learned that there's a carton limit. I talked to AWM and SD about it and AWM just laughed and said not to worry about it while SD said that they'll probably add the carton limit to training classes and circulate something so that employees who were hired before that can get the message.

I agree 100%. I would do the same. It was in no way your fault Tally

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad she's OK.
Thank you for the support. (Where'd the hugging emoji go?)

I think this new layout is going to take a little time to get used to. I'm going to try and upload some more RKP.

Attachments

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. Like I said, it had never come up before!

Well, I thought it was odd that someone wanted so many cigarettes, so I told my manager about it as soon as he came in. That was when I learned that there's a carton limit. I talked to AWM and SD about it and AWM just laughed and said not to worry about it while SD said that they'll probably add the carton limit to training classes and circulate something so that employees who were hired before that can get the message.

I think this new layout is going to take a little time to get used to. I'm going to try and upload some more RKP.

I know. It's not the same.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I had wondered why I wasn't getting email updates. Didn't know about the site moving.

My mind is just a whirl right now. I'm hoping that Monday I'll have some definite answers. Hard to plan out how you're going to pick up the pieces and move towards a goal when you don't even know what the pieces are or what the short-term goal should be. The long term goal is "be physically healthy and mentally eccentric".

Anyone know any reputable sources for a low-salt diet or other lifestyle changes to bring blood pressure down? The cardiologist said "lifestyle changes and low salt" without really defining either.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
---SNIP---

All of the emojis we're used to are gone, for now. It isn't permanent, though. We've been promised that they will not only be back but there will be even more of them. We've also lost capitalization on our user names, which is a real problem for some of us and is apparently very difficult to fix, and a lot of people are having trouble uploading pictures. On the other hand,
  1. it was necessary,
  2. the new site does seem to be much airier.
We're just going to have to be patient while all the kinks are worked out.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had wondered why I wasn't getting email updates. Didn't know about the site moving.

My mind is just a whirl right now. I'm hoping that Monday I'll have some definite answers. Hard to plan out how you're going to pick up the pieces and move towards a goal when you don't even know what the pieces are or what the short-term goal should be. The long term goal is "be physically healthy and mentally eccentric".

Anyone know any reputable sources for a low-salt diet or other lifestyle changes to bring blood pressure down? The cardiologist said "lifestyle changes and low salt" without really defining either.
There are varying opinions about the value of reducing salt to lower blood pressure; you may want to do a Google search on "how to lower blood pressure" and "does salt cause high blood pressure," then have a talk with your doctor about the things you find. When doing the Google searches, a good rule of thumb is that the more reputable sites you can find that make the same claim, the more likely it is to be true. The sites that tell you it's all a conspiracy to kill you by the government/the communists/the evil liberals/the evil conservatives/the Jews/the Muslims/whoever are, by definition, not reputable sites.

I was put on Lisinopril to "protect my kidneys," because of the diabetes. It turns out that the way Lisinopril protects the kidneys is to lower blood pressure. It was so effective that my dose had to be cut in half.

Most low salt diets seem to make up for the lack of salt by substituting other spices. There it's a matter of taste. Do what works for you. Exercise, within the limits of what your heart can handle, is relaxing. Meditation is always good. And I would bet money (if I had any) that someone, somewhere, has done a study proving that a purring cat can lower your blood pressure.

If your doctor isn't able to take the time to give you some more specific advice, may I suggest that you ask for a talk with a Nurse Practitioner? This really does fall into their area of expertise, and it's obvious that you feel you need more information than you've been given.

Margret

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Test....

Okay, so the emoji add-on to Firefox doesn't work on this site either.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
:rolleyes: the symbols for our function options don't work on my computer. They block out all social media type functions so I have to put the curser on the block and click on it- hopefully these options don't stay blacked out forever. Otherwise I won't be able to make changes to text or insert images..I will try on my phone later this afternoon. Working on gathering information from my company. Trying to locate other workers in other manufacturing sites. And it's not easy to find the names of the sites..I am going to use google maps and type in my company name and hover over each state to see what I find...

Reddit is another great site for recruiting people...found a person at Blairsville...it's all to collect information to help our cause in 2 weeks when we negotiate the next contract. I like having facts to back up facts. And papers/websites. Concrete evidence is hard to beat!​

Status
Not open for further replies.