The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, if this is really the wiring in her building, I would expect her lights to be out, as well, and it doesn't sound as if that's the case. I wonder whether she needs a new router. Or perhaps her service provider is having problems; that happens sometimes.
Different wiring. The internet would not be through the electrical wiring, it'd be through either the phone wiring or the cable wiring.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm here...for now. I usually save this thread for last, but things being as they are, decided to do it first. The actual wiring I'm talking about is the cable itself. It was installed over 30 years ago, but...why would the tv still be on? They come off of the same jack. Maybe the splitter is shot? But Spectrum is showing a low signal to the modem...could still be the splitter, I suppose. I've rebooted 6 times now this morning. They have, in the last 3 weeks, replaced the modem, replaced a worn part on the exterior of the building, and made one more trip out where the tech fiddled around with stuff, but I did NOT see the splitter being replaced. They, and I, are at a loss. SOMETHING odd is going on, but NOBODY knows quite what it is!:argh::dunno: The internet goes up and down like this::popworm:

Before I can settle in with a book, I MUST get the living room mopped and waxed, which is a multipart undertaking. First, shift all the furniture to one side, then sweep mop, allow to dry, move everything to the other side, repeat, move everything back where it was to begin with and collapse in a pile, whimpering. :bawling:

SIGH...I best go start on it.:( I'll try to get back on later and tend to my other threads. HUGS, Y'ALL!

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm here...for now. I usually save this thread for last, but things being as they are, decided to do it first. The actual wiring I'm talking about is the cable itself. It was installed over 30 years ago, but...why would the tv still be on? They come off of the same jack. Maybe the splitter is shot? But Spectrum is showing a low signal to the modem...could still be the splitter, I suppose. I've rebooted 6 times now this morning. They have, in the last 3 weeks, replaced the modem, replaced a worn part on the exterior of the building, and made one more trip out where the tech fiddled around with stuff, but I did NOT see the splitter being replaced. They, and I, are at a loss. SOMETHING odd is going on, but NOBODY knows quite what it is!:argh::dunno: The internet goes up and down like this::popworm:

Before I can settle in with a book, I MUST get the living room mopped and waxed, which is a multipart undertaking. First, shift all the furniture to one side, then sweep mop, allow to dry, move everything to the other side, repeat, move everything back where it was to begin with and collapse in a pile, whimpering. :bawling:

SIGH...I best go start on it.:( I'll try to get back on later and tend to my other threads. HUGS, Y'ALL!
It's surprisingly common to still have cable TV but problems with the internet. I guess the cable box can handle a weaker signal than the modem can.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the cable/internet wiring in the building. I have the opposite issue.. bad wiring, but internet and cable ok....

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now this is where I would hit Purraise and make a remark about why all your customers love you and how the unnamed store should quadruple your salary but I guess I'll have to put it here. :biggrin:

I imagine she will have her nose buried deep in a book. :cloud9:
:thanks::hugs:

Tonight is Mystery soup. I call it that because I have no idea how it will turn out. It'll either be really good or really bad. I didn't know what to make for dinner. I wanted to do a crock pot as that's easy, so I walked around the store and grabbed what looked good. This is what looked good:

Carrots
Parsnips
Celery
Onion
Garlic
A package of fresh rosemary, sage and thyme
Mushrooms
A can of petite diced tomatoes, undrained
Orzo
A package of long grain and wild rice, flavoring not used
Navy beans
Lentils
Boneless chicken breast (almost chose bone in chicken thighs but I didn't want to deal with the skin)
Smoked sausage
Italian meatballs
Salad-sized shrimp

On top of all that, some pepper, some Mrs. Dash, some crushed red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, butter, water and beef bullion cubes (I spent a long time debating between beef and chicken).

I'll let you all know how it turned out.
Maybe it's just the time of day (it's my morning), but that doesn't sound very good. Then again, I've made many soups that, on paper, should have been terrible that were fantastic and soups that, again on paper, should have been wonderful were truly terrible. So--good luck and waiting for the verdict!

:grouphug:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's just the time of day (it's my morning), but that doesn't sound very good. Then again, I've made many soups that, on paper, should have been terrible that were fantastic and soups that, again on paper, should have been wonderful were truly terrible. So--good luck and waiting for the verdict!
I called my daughter and she says it's great. Then again she thought that baby octopi in a tomato sauce was one of the best items at a Chinese buffet we liked so I'm reserving judgment until I get home.

(I banned her from eating that when I was around. I felt sick just looking at the cup....especially since the baby was cooked whole and the corpse was looking back at me.)

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, survey says it's really tasty.

I made one mistake in cooking and that was too many ingredients for the size of the crock pot. Even though I was careful to just do a sprinkling, apparently a sprinkling *each* of rice, orzo, dried beans and dried lentils just sucked up all the water and it was pretty thick. The kid loved it enough to eat a lot, so there was room to add two cups of broth and stir it well.

So what I tasted was a little different, in that some of the broth wasn't in the cooking. But the flavors blended pretty well. It has the taste of beans without being thick and sticky like how 15 bean soup turns out. The orzo mixed well with the rice. I haven't found a piece of shrimp yet, but the chicken, sausage and meatballs mixed really well. But I should have gone with smaller meatballs rather than the huge ones that were on sale. I haven't bit into a parsnip yet (this will be the third time in my entire life that I've eaten one), but the carrots and celery taste really good with all the flavors that were cooked into them. I think dried green peas would have tasted better than frozen peas. I think the fresh herbs really flavored it nicely, but pulling out a four inch stick out of my bowl was not cool.

Would I do it again? Yeah, I would. It really is tasty. The trick though is that I liked all the ingredients individually. And it wasn't blind guessing. I figured the taste of meatballs and chicken would go together because I like Italian wedding soup. I knew beef and sausage go together because I did that for the huge beef stew I took to work. I swear Rice-a-Roni makes a flavor that includes orzo, I know some rice side package does because I've had that. 15 bean soup includes lentils, so beans and lentils and peas go together. I've never tried gumbo but I hear it mixes sausage and shrimp. The mushrooms? Those were a complete gamble and I probably won't include them in the next batch. They're not bad, they flavored up nicely, but they are a tad too squishy.

Something that I saw and walked right on past that will go in the next batch is baby corn. I originally planned on cutting up fresh ears of corn on the cob like how I saw in a picture for something called "harvest stew", but then I realized that trying to eat that would be too difficult. I didn't have frozen corn on hand, but I think it would have been like the peas.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was such a poop on NYE.. Was in bed by 9:15pm and asleep by 9:30pm....Just ate junk.. some cheese and crackers, shrimp--which Artie really wanted, and a couple big glasses of wine..

Up very early for church. I am really planning on taking a nap today..I feel as if I need one. I really want to nap the day away--in my pj's and do absolutely nothing by lie down.. and perhaps watch TV or listen to some music..

I need to remember to drop off my bills at the Post Office this morning.. I did not have a car until late yesterday, so that day was shot as far as the post office. I do have a letter drop box in my apartment, but the mailman I have is really irresponsible. A couple of bills I mailed from here were lost.. and all of us are always getting other peoples mails in our boxes..

I think he is in too much of a hurry...

Took a pork tenderloin out of the freezer for supper, but I do not feel like cooking it.. I was planning on a mustard, chutney sauce with it.. I found the recipe and it is hanging up waiting for me.. tomorrow will be another day..

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called my daughter and she says it's great. Then again she thought that baby octopi in a tomato sauce was one of the best items at a Chinese buffet we liked so I'm reserving judgment until I get home.

(I banned her from eating that when I was around. I felt sick just looking at the cup....especially since the baby was cooked whole and the corpse was looking back at me.)
I gave a shudder there. I totally get where you're coming from here.

Okay, survey says it's really tasty.

I made one mistake in cooking and that was too many ingredients for the size of the crock pot. Even though I was careful to just do a sprinkling, apparently a sprinkling *each* of rice, orzo, dried beans and dried lentils just sucked up all the water and it was pretty thick. The kid loved it enough to eat a lot, so there was room to add two cups of broth and stir it well.

So what I tasted was a little different, in that some of the broth wasn't in the cooking. But the flavors blended pretty well. It has the taste of beans without being thick and sticky like how 15 bean soup turns out. The orzo mixed well with the rice. I haven't found a piece of shrimp yet, but the chicken, sausage and meatballs mixed really well. But I should have gone with smaller meatballs rather than the huge ones that were on sale. I haven't bit into a parsnip yet (this will be the third time in my entire life that I've eaten one), but the carrots and celery taste really good with all the flavors that were cooked into them. I think dried green peas would have tasted better than frozen peas. I think the fresh herbs really flavored it nicely, but pulling out a four inch stick out of my bowl was not cool.

Would I do it again? Yeah, I would. It really is tasty. The trick though is that I liked all the ingredients individually. And it wasn't blind guessing. I figured the taste of meatballs and chicken would go together because I like Italian wedding soup. I knew beef and sausage go together because I did that for the huge beef stew I took to work. I swear Rice-a-Roni makes a flavor that includes orzo, I know some rice side package does because I've had that. 15 bean soup includes lentils, so beans and lentils and peas go together. I've never tried gumbo but I hear it mixes sausage and shrimp. The mushrooms? Those were a complete gamble and I probably won't include them in the next batch. They're not bad, they flavored up nicely, but they are a tad too squishy.

Something that I saw and walked right on past that will go in the next batch is baby corn. I originally planned on cutting up fresh ears of corn on the cob like how I saw in a picture for something called "harvest stew", but then I realized that trying to eat that would be too difficult. I didn't have frozen corn on hand, but I think it would have been like the peas.
That's a good idea. I think that the reason I have trouble with soups from scratch is that, for three weeks of the month, I have no sense of smell.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Y'all, I'm about done in. BUT...the entire front of my apartment has been swept, mopped, and waxed, the dusting is done, and I got the area rug in the dining room stenciled! I'm amazed at what a difference that white vine border makes on the dark blue rug! It matched the border on the tablecloth, although I used the narrower border on the rug...came from the same stencil set. I'm now all hot to order a nice peacock feather stencil and start in redoing the office/library/guest room in teal and purple and aqua and lavender. I know those aren't all natural peacock colors, but I am taking some artistic liberties!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone heard from @alicia88 recently? I noticed that she hasn't been around since March 23 and I'm a bit worried about her.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone heard from @alicia88 recently? I noticed that she hasn't been around since March 23 and I'm a bit worried about her.
Her last message was this one: The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017, where she announced that she was giving up smoking. I could very easily believe that she's having a difficult time of it and things like TCS are going by the wayside. I hope she's okay.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, also, hope all is well with her. If anyone is in contact, please let us know!

I must finish the floors today. I just have the bedrooms, hallway and bath to do, so there's no more furniture to haul around. I should be done in a couple of hours. It would take most people less than one, but I have to do a bit, sit, do a bit, sit. It gets done. AND Hekitty's litterbox is due for a hard reboot.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brushed the cats today since the fur has just been falling off them. I got enough fur off to create a orange, black, and grey furball the size of a kitten.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay so it has been quite a while since I have been in this site and WOW I come back and the whole layout has changed (at least on mobile not sure about desktop versione because I don't have a computer)! It is going to take me a while to figure everything out.

Life has been stressfull but what else is new. On a lighter note- I am really looking forward to a short vacation I will be taking May 3rd-6th. My mom and I are going to Atlanta Georgia to see The aquarium there (a place I have wanted to go to for YEARS. It is on my Bucket list). We'll also be going to see a few other attractions there but the Aquarium is the main focus. I'm so excited!

The kitties have been doing well. Tesla is a becoming more and more mischievous. He's slipped out the back door a few times but we always catch him and bring him in!

I fell asleep on the couch a few nights ago and was rudely awakened at 3:30am by the 17lb ball of fluff that is Tesla launching himself onto my chest while he was being chased by our other cat, Zazzie durring their nightly Zoomies.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Daughter......grrr.

She's got a problem with the bag she takes to work, the clip that connects the shoulder strap to the bag has spread open so the strap keeps coming loose. I asked for a pair of pliers to fix it. I know she knows tools, she's been fetching them for over a decade.

First she brought me wire cutters. I said no, those are wire cutters, I need pliers and not needle nose pliers, regular pliers. So she brought me metal shears. I lost my temper since she's playing a game and then she got angry about how could I expect her to know what pliers look like.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Wow you guys have been busy.

I don't remember who mentioned a will=word of caution-even if it's a will-it has to go to probate court if you have family. Suggestion is to put your will in a trust. That way no one can plead to the judge and play drama queen. Jon found out the hard way when a family member passed on. He didn't have a trust. He did have a will but certain people petitioned to the courts. So I don't trust wills. They are a good idea. But a Trust is best.

If you have no distant family to muck it up then it should be alright otherwise probate court takes 6 months. Meanwhile the property is in disarray because they step in and don't let people in the property. It was a complete mess. Luckily Jon was given keys to said property otherwise it would have been a long drawn out mess. that's my psa of the day.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Huh. I'm not getting notifications...off to try and figure this out. I was until today. FINISHED the deep-cleaning to get ready for my company on Thursday. I'll need to touch up the kitchen and bath, change the sheets on my bed for her, and sweep again on Thursday morning, but the heavy stuff is DONEDONEDONE!!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yeah my notifications don't always work either.
I need to go back to my original deodorant. Dove SUCKS. All I smell is BO!! :crash: I take a walk most days at lunch..today was warmer than usual...

I usually use the one that's blue...Secret? I don't remember..but I have tried several more expensive ones- $5 a piece! :angryfire: And they don't work for crud. Neither does Degree. Sigh...at least I have some baby powder to "powder my nose" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Honeybee was too hot last night. Got mad at me when I tried to get her to sleep on me-I even put a pillow between us and she was having none of that. This morning she came up to me swishing her tail and licking me meowing at me...they didn't eat their kibble yesterday..too hot. I am going to get some KRM/KMR? and try mixing with fancy feast...I doubt they will eat it but my sissies cat loved it yesterday.

I went to my sisters to see everyone. She has a kitty who has an abscess in her mouth and their vet gave them clavamox and she wasn't interested in kibble..so I had a bag of wet food and kitten milk cause my girls wont eat it..she loved the milk..she lapped it up. Got to get a few more cans for them and drop them off. Then I mixed the KMR with wet food and both kitties ate it up. I told them they really need to put out wet food when it's hot like this. It was 85 yesterday. Luckily she has a basement and they can hang out down there but it's kind of dark and well just not where I would want to be. Plus this kitty is afraid of the dogs-but she's been around dogs all her life=evidently in her old age she's decided she's had enough. :bawling2:

Still more BS rumors at work. I just can't wait to get the vote done Wed night but I don't expect any miracles. We have half of us who have no fear and know we can find employment elsewhere then we have a mixed bag of people who don't have much skills but for whatever reason they were hired on permanently after their trial period. Tomorrow we are supposed to go to some meeting with one of the VPS. rumor is KEpco may be interested in us. I don't see that happening. I think the government is going to step in and make it a Local buyer of the USA..time will tell!:argue:

Status
Not open for further replies.