The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even know what they're called. I've tried "Christmas Stars" "Ornament Stars"--nothing seems to be clicking. I can find the picture--there must be directions somewhere!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried an image search through google?

here's a link at wikiHow on how to do it -- How to Search by Image on Google

or, if you'd prefer, you can go to wikiHow and type in 'How to search by image on google'.

i have not tried doing an image search, but my thought is that if you can locate where any images of the 'Christmas Stars' are on the web, you may be able to locate where they came from -- the webpage or such. you can upload photos to use for the image search, and the instructions to do this are included in the wikiHow article.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:sigh: Nope; I just got a lot of Pinterest pages with Halloween and Easter stuff on them. Nothing like this.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try "plastic canvas snowflake ornament". I found a few pictures like that, I wasn't able to find instructions, though I didn't really spend too much time looking (and pinterest wants me to download the app so there are some I can't see). But that seems to be the proper search term anyway.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, :censored:. We just got a fancier DVR from DirecTV for free (because we've been subscribers since 1999) along with three free months of Showtime. So yesterday I recorded Blazing Shadows on Showtime, thinking that, unlike TCM, they would know better than to Bowdlerize it. I was wrong. Every instance of the "N" word has been removed, and it's an integral part of the plot! :cloudy:

One of these years I may give up and buy the movie on DVD.

{Note: Yes, I know that 'the "N" word' is just as offensive as the actual word; I'm using it here only because I believe the site will censor any actual use of the word.}

Margret
I'll preface this with the fact that I don't normally like mystery books (they have a tendency to be entirely too formulaic, in my opinion), but there is one series I do read regularly--Donna Andrews Meg Langslow series. One of the most fascinating things about this series, in my opinion, is the fact that, not once in any of the books I've read, is a curse word printed. Oh, she'll mention someone "cussing a blue streak" or "swearing like a sailor", but the words themselves are never printed, leaving what was actually said to the reader's imagination. (Another reason I like her books is because her family is kind of like mine...:think:)
Inasmuch as Blazing Saddles has an actual point (besides being funny), it's about racism. They manage to do it without showing any actual lynchings, but the "n" word is used frequently, especially in the early part of the movie, and in context it isn't offensive. This was, in fact, the least offensive way available to tell the story; and my objection is that its removal damages the story.

Have you ever read Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain? This is what he put on the first page of the book:

There's a very good reason for this; at its heart, Huckleberry Finn isn't a heartwarming story about childhood adventures; it's a powerful indictment of slavery, and of the religious establishment that justified it. The true hero of the book isn't Huck, it's Jim, the runaway slave who risks his own freedom and the eventual freedom of his entire family to take care of Huck. And throughout the book, Huck has an internal war going between his instinct to help his friend Jim and his religious beliefs that say that helping Jim is tantamount to stealing from that sweet old lady who owns Jim and who was about to separate Jim from his family! Sweet old lady, yeah, right.

Huckleberry Finn used to be banned from schools for this very reason (though they never stated it so blatantly). Now it's frequently banned from schools for its language, which includes copious use of the "n" word, without which the story can't be told.

Now, imagine someone going through Huckleberry Finn with a bottle of Wite-Out or a black marking pen and redacting every use of the "n" word so that it would be "safe" to put in the school library. That's what they've done to Blazing Saddles.

All right, I'm in a little bit of a bind. (Just a little bit, mind you.) One of the things that Grandma and I used to do together was make stars for the Christmas tree. We'd use yarn, those weird plastic sheets with the square holes, and clear plastic beads of different colors to make them. I thought, since I'll have a little free time this year, of surprising my family with another lot of them. (They're pretty, but not durable--they only last a season, which is why we made more every year.) I thought it would be a nice way for Grandma to still be part of the celebration this year--but I can't remember how to make them and I can't find a video explaining how on YouTube! :argh:
I suspect your search is too narrow. Try searching on "how to use beads with plastic canvas". You won't find an actual pattern, but you should find the information you need about how you did it, and you can come up with the pattern yourself.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most bugs don't bother me. I'm terrified of spiders and insanely grossed out by roaches. Most other bugs just annoy me. But I think a cricket's chirp is peaceful.
I have a death fear of crickets. Spiders, snakes even scorpions don't bother me. But, I will hurt myself trying to get away from a cricket...screaming the whole time. I must have had a bad experience when I was young.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try contacting this blogger: Fourth Ornament of Christmas

And try this: Plastic Canvas Sun Catcher

I have a phone interview for a position at a different company later this week. It's nearly similar to the position I did two interviews for. I have not heard back from that one yet but I'm not too worried... yet. The last candidate interview was today so they may need a day to make a decision.

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I got notifications for a couple of days and again nothing for days.

I have a phone interview for a position at a different company later this week. It's nearly similar to the position I did two interviews for. I have not heard back from that one yet but I'm not too worried... yet. The last candidate interview was today so they may need a day to make a decision.
I found that exact site and was all eager to post it when I saw your post, lol.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

...sending :vibes::vibes::vibes:

it sounds like you're doing everything you need to, doing all the right things to secure a position at a different company! well done!!! :thumbsup:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Didn't even know people were posting here still. I got nothing for days... I assumed it was silent but checked and boom! Whole bunch of new post. Weird...
You'll get one email notification about a new post in the thread, and then no more until you either click on that email link or visit the thread and post something yourself, or (possibly, I'm not sure about this) give someone purraise or otherwise show signs of activity. There's some way to get a page to pop up with all of your watched threads that have new messages, but I've forgotten how to do it right now. :paperbag: However, the easiest option is to bookmark that page.

Margret

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if there's a glitch going on. I know I have to click the link to see the thread so emails will keep coming and so I'll see followup posts, but I'm still not getting notified. I'm also not getting notifications for Arti's thread either. Now I'm not the only one to not get emails.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if there's a glitch going on. I know I have to click the link to see the thread so emails will keep coming and so I'll see followup posts, but I'm still not getting notified. I'm also not getting notifications for Arti's thread either. Now I'm not the only one to not get emails.
In that case, check your settings. You may have accidentally turned email notifications off.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just had an ultrasound to check baby's size. He's currently measuring 6 lbs 8 oz and he's supposed to gain another half pound a week for the next 4 weeks. Looks like he's gonna be a big boy!
Oh, that's EXCELLENT! A good, healthy weight, but not outrageous.

Now, there was something I wanted to share with you guys, and I've totally forgotten what it was! Drat and DARN!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would think that out of all the things you can eat and not have to fight the cat for, salad would be on top of the list. Samai loves baby spinach. I use a spring mix, and the spinach is the one she grabs every time. It's like catnip to her. After she eats it, she is super cuddly...for 5 minutes. But hey, that's something. Couldn't find anything that says it's toxic, so I guess I'll let her keep stealing a leaf. (Don't worry, once the dressing, mushrooms and avocado go in, I don't let her get near it).
IMG_20171218_172056.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.