The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also I have never given two weeks notice at a job before (having had the same job since I graduated college). How do I do this?

You can Google for 2 week notice letter templates. It doesn't need to go into detail. All the letter really needs to state is that you are leaving on X date and maybe include blah blah words thanking the employer for the opportunity to work with for them for the past X amount of time. Once you have your letter written and printed out and signed, meet with your supervisor privately and tell him or her and give the letter. A copy may be given to HR for documentation purposes. You don't need to tell the supervisor or co-workers why you are leaving if you don't wish to, especially not if you are leaving because the work environment is crap.

Glad your interview went well and you basically have the job :) I'm still waiting because the company still has to interview a candidate.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I was the same way this year. I had never given notice at a job before. Either I'd been laid off, or in the case of one job I particularly hated, I left a voicemail saying I wasn't coming back (the people there were that awful and I just didn't care about burning that particular bridge). I wouldn't do that again and would never recommend it, but it is something I did and therefore mentioning it.

I decided to leave my job of almost 13 years this year because my cat sitting business was getting to a point where I needed more room to grow, if you will. I had been off until 7/9 and on 7/10, realized just how overbooked I was for August. The next day is when I decided I'd be giving my notice, but I had to wait until the week after because my boss was on PTO. That was the longest week of my life.

Then on Monday (7/17) I saw an email that my boss was working from home because she was sick. Well, I didn't want to take this particular call at my desk, so I worked from home too. I had my 1:1 with her later that afternoon. I had no idea how I would do it, or what. And ultimately, I just blurted it out. There was no explaining "why" thankfully, my boss knew I had my own business and was well aware that my intentions were to ultimately leave at some point. I just hadn't really expected it to be that soon, nor did she apparently.

Anyway, however you plan to do it, it may or may not go that way. You may end up just blurting it out like I did. It was the easiest way, that's for sure. Having to wait for a week was the worst but when it was all said and done, and I was gone (last day was August 11th), it was the most amazing feeling. I felt bad for leaving, for a variety of reasons, but I also knew it was the right thing to do at that point. No regrets.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a small company, so me leaving will be a bit of a mess. We've already lost several long term employees there recently. I do feel bad ... so that would be part of the problem. My supervisor is the owner of the business and talking to him is always a huge challenge. I never end up saying what I want to say any time I talk to him so this is bound to be somewhat awkward.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its a small company, so me leaving will be a bit of a mess. We've already lost several long term employees there recently. I do feel bad ... so that would be part of the problem
The staffing issue isn't your problem to deal with or be concerned about so don't worry about it or feel bad or guilty. The company will figure something out.

I would definitely have a 2 week's notice letter to give. You always want stuff like that in writing.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The staffing issue isn't your problem to deal with or be concerned about so don't worry about it or feel bad or guilty. The company will figure something out.

I would definitely have a 2 week's notice letter to give. You always want stuff like that in writing.
Oh I know they'll be fine. They always are. We lost our office manager last year and surprisingly that went over without much difficulty at all. I will definitely write up a letter. I just have to get everything settled with the new company, so I have the best idea of what I am getting into before I jump ship.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spanking is a pat or two with a HARSH NO! MY FORMER SIAMESE Taz would nip me when I would ask him "do you want a spank?" In my heart I never SPANKED an animal bcause they are too little and I could never purposely hurt another living thing! I'm sorry if I angered or offened anyone! In my heart I know if I had a human child he would me another BART SIMPSON!

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since apparently I rubbed a few members the wrong way with "spanking Max" I wanted to apologize to anyone that I may have thought I brutilized my little monkey. We have something I refer to as a SPANK. First of all I ask him if he wants A SPANK and all that is, is a pat or 2 on his fuzzbutt with a firm NO, ESPECIALLY if he could have been harmed or lost! I figure that is why no human children, I could NEVER hurt another living thing EVER. I even put spiders outside rather then hurt them. Once again, I 'm sorry to make so many people angry.....

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LTS3 I almost forgot to let you know you are in my prayers and wishes really do come true!
I truly hope that you shine like a STAR in the interviewers eyes and for 2018 you get that new job!!!

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And the same for NEW YORK 1303 may the both of you to get that change of employment for the NEW YEAR!!!!! WISHES CAN HAPPEN FOR YOU BOTH♡♡♡

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The year quickly coming to an end and 2018 almost upon us!
IMAX, MOUSE and my other fur kids wish all my new friends here at TCS a safe holiday season along with a new safe YEAR.
And new jobs for those of you that are searching(and wish you much success with your employment endevors).
Heres hoping that homeless creatures everywhere are lucky enough to find folks like us to love them the way we love our big and littlr ones
Glad to call you all my new friends and happy 2018 ♡♡♡♡♡♡

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can Google for 2 week notice letter templates. It doesn't need to go into detail. All the letter really needs to state is that you are leaving on X date and maybe include blah blah words thanking the employer for the opportunity to work with for them for the past X amount of time. Once you have your letter written and printed out and signed, meet with your supervisor privately and tell him or her and give the letter. A copy may be given to HR for documentation purposes. You don't need to tell the supervisor or co-workers why you are leaving if you don't wish to, especially not if you are leaving because the work environment is crap.
I agree with this. My typical letter wording for why I'm resigning (regardless of why I actually made that choice) is "I have decided to pursue another opportunity." There is no need to include more explanation than that, in my opinion; leaving a job is your right as long as you give adequate notice, so I suggest going with something pretty neutral.

A notice letter is typically quite brief. A few sentences should suffice.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Long post alert!

I have been away from this site for a while. Hopefully I can make time to post here more often.

For weeks I have been meaning to make this post but so much has been going on lately I just didn't really have the energy to do it.

Work has been stressful. We have been running on a skeleton crew and we are having a hard time hiring and keeping good employees.

(btw my parents own the restaurant where I work and I have been working there for almost 11 years)

I was accused of stealing tips from the tip jar by another employee (spoiler alert: I didn't steal tips from anyone, let alone the fact that I would never steal from my friends) who is honestly one of the worst human beings I have ever met. She accused me of stealing tips on our WORK GROUP CHAT. So EVERYONE saw what she wrote about me. She didn't even confront me personally about what she "saw" me do (apparently on multiple occasions?? Lol).

But the good thing is that she was immediately fired because that is NOT how you are supposed to bring up those types of issues in a workplace. You don't just outright accuse someone of stealing money in a group chat with ALL THEIR COWORKERS.

But enough about work...

I am currently at my "family christmas" for my dad's side of the family. An event that I have been dreading for weeks. Thankfully I get to go home tomorrow. There are currently 25+ of my family members all sleeping in the same house. So naturally I haven't been able to sleep all weekend. It is currently almost 3 am and I can hear people stomping around, laughing and shouting. Almost all of my cousins are upstairs right now and they keep asking me to join them. As some of you may know, aii have autism and situations where there are lots of people in a small space making lots of noise really get to me. The noise is just deafening to me and I can hardly understand what people are saying most of the time because I can't cancel out background noise so I waste a ton of energy trying to read lips while I'm overwhelmed by the situation I am in. So in general I am just a bit not good right now. And it doesn't help that I don't particularly like my dad's side of the family. I won't go into detail but the vast majority of them are very bigoted and hateful people.

But anyway... back to cats.

Living with my Fiancé is going well. Our 2 kittens are growing up fast. Remus is a little piggy and tries to eat Sirius's food all the time. I am thinking I might have to feed them in seperate rooms.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that person was fired. She was probably stealing tips and accused you to cover her tracks.
I am glad she was fired too. The thing is, she is a young lady (18) who comes from a very wealthy family. Her father and sister have told her multiple times that she didn't need to get a job. But I guess she wanted one anyway? So maybe she was stealing tips but I cant see why she would do that since she's so well-off without thwm. She didn't care about the job she had either. She showed up 15-30 minutes late almost every day, she would start rumors and gossip all the time. She would call in sick for about 70% of her shifts.

Anyway, I am so glad she's gone.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long post alert!

I have been away from this site for a while. Hopefully I can make time to post here more often.

For weeks I have been meaning to make this post but so much has been going on lately I just didn't really have the energy to do it.

Work has been stressful. We have been running on a skeleton crew and we are having a hard time hiring and keeping good employees.

(btw my parents own the restaurant where I work and I have been working there for almost 11 years)

I was accused of stealing tips from the tip jar by another employee (spoiler alert: I didn't steal tips from anyone, let alone the fact that I would never steal from my friends) who is honestly one of the worst human beings I have ever met. She accused me of stealing tips on our WORK GROUP CHAT. So EVERYONE saw what she wrote about me. She didn't even confront me personally about what she "saw" me do (apparently on multiple occasions?? Lol).

But the good thing is that she was immediately fired because that is NOT how you are supposed to bring up those types of issues in a workplace. You don't just outright accuse someone of stealing money in a group chat with ALL THEIR COWORKERS.

But enough about work...

I am currently at my "family christmas" for my dad's side of the family. An event that I have been dreading for weeks. Thankfully I get to go home tomorrow. There are currently 25+ of my family members all sleeping in the same house. So naturally I haven't been able to sleep all weekend. It is currently almost 3 am and I can hear people stomping around, laughing and shouting. Almost all of my cousins are upstairs right now and they keep asking me to join them. As some of you may know, aii have autism and situations where there are lots of people in a small space making lots of noise really get to me. The noise is just deafening to me and I can hardly understand what people are saying most of the time because I can't cancel out background noise so I waste a ton of energy trying to read lips while I'm overwhelmed by the situation I am in. So in general I am just a bit not good right now. And it doesn't help that I don't particularly like my dad's side of the family. I won't go into detail but the vast majority of them are very bigoted and hateful people.

But anyway... back to cats.

Living with my Fiancé is going well. Our 2 kittens are growing up fast. Remus is a little piggy and tries to eat Sirius's food all the time. I am thinking I might have to feed them in seperate rooms.
Is she the same one that wasn't cleaning properly at the end of her shift, or was that someone else? I'm glad she's out of your environment, all the same. Sorry about the tight squeeze with your family. :alright: My family's just as big, but at least we know we can only take each other in small doses so when we all get together we do so at a campground (and hence, in the summer) so we can all get away as needed. You may want to suggest something similar (although, only if you can do so more diplomatically than how I put it--no sense straining family relationships, after all). Getting back to cats, as you put it (:lol:) I'd like to tell a true story. See, the cats I currently have were born from Rose, who recently found a new home. (Trust me, the situation was the best.) Anyway, they were, quite literally, born in my room and when they were three days old Ra (who was the biggest at the time) plastered himself against Rose's belly, denying his siblings access to milk. Princess wriggled her way under him (and I didn't know they had claws at that age!) pricked him, and forced him away and to allow the rest of the kittens to feed. Point: Sirius will probably take care of it himself. I'd give it a couple weeks before separating them.

I'm glad that person was fired. She was probably stealing tips and accused you to cover her tracks.
:yeah:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she the same one that wasn't cleaning properly at the end of her shift, or was that someone else? I'm glad she's out of your environment, all the same. Sorry about the tight squeeze with your family. :alright: My family's just as big, but at least we know we can only take each other in small doses so when we all get together we do so at a campground (and hence, in the summer) so we can all get away as needed. You may want to suggest something similar (although, only if you can do so more diplomatically than how I put it--no sense straining family relationships, after all). Getting back to cats, as you put it (:lol:) I'd like to tell a true story. See, the cats I currently have were born from Rose, who recently found a new home. (Trust me, the situation was the best.) Anyway, they were, quite literally, born in my room and when they were three days old Ra (who was the biggest at the time) plastered himself against Rose's belly, denying his siblings access to milk. Princess wriggled her way under him (and I didn't know they had claws at that age!) pricked him, and forced him away and to allow the rest of the kittens to feed. Point: Sirius will probably take care of it himself. I'd give it a couple weeks before separating them.

:yeah:
Sirius is the more submissive of the two. They are both around 6 months old but Remus is much bigger than Sirius because he eats all of Sirius's food- and Sirius just let's him do it.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is it with some people who won't hear the word "no"? There's this guy who comes into the store occasionally and keeps asking for my number, pretending that I've already given it to him. I haven't. I've told him this. My number goes to friends (which he is most certainly not), my coworkers (in case of emergency), family members (obviously), and the hospital (mostly for when Grandma was so sick and AWM was having heart trouble)--and that's it. (The reason for this policy, you understand, is that a young man got hold of my number and then promptly gave it to his ex girlfriends. And yes, it was just as horrifying as it sounds, especially since I was looking for work at the time and afraid to answer my own phone. Bright side--you wouldn't believe how much my vocabulary expanded.) Anyway, he dithered so much trying to get my number that his friends in the cab began to leave without him (for which I'm grateful).

Well, after my coworker yelling at them yesterday morning they didn't turn the heat off on me last night--down, certainly, but not off. Still cold, but much better.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sirius is the more submissive of the two. They are both around 6 months old but Remus is much bigger than Sirius because he eats all of Sirius's food- and Sirius just let's him do it.
Yeah, in that case I'd consider separating them. Consider though, that Sirius might just eat less. (That might not be the case at all, but it might be.)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carrot has to be separated from Ruby and Angua when he eats since he will bully Ruby out of all her food. She just walks away.

Status
Not open for further replies.