The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, we don't have a target. The nearest target is almost 2 hours away. We only have Wal Mart. They ran out every other store when they came her around 25 years ago and the city council gave them a contract allowing them final approval over any other store that wanted to open here and they keep renewing that same contract so we'll probably never have any store other than Wal Mart. It goes without saying that we do a lot of our shopping online.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
They really are not Terry clothe. Not sure why used that title. They are gathered at the ankles and loose enough not to hug my curves but not so baggy they hang on my legs like regular sweats do.

Looks like black sold out. I'm glad I bought 4 pairs of black. Grey is second fav then blue then red.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might have to order a couple pairs. I won't need many - I don't really leave the house much. There's really nothing to do here other than go to a bar and I'm not really interested - especially being pregnant. I'm obviously not going to drink and it seems like it would be awkward for an obviously pregnant woman to sit around at a bar. We have a skating rink that's open on Saturdays but that isn't really a safe activity when you're pregnant. We go to the movies occasionally, but only when there's something out we really want to see. Mostly, I leave home to go grocery shopping. And when I'm home, I never wear anything but pjs anyway.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Toad seems remarkably chipper for having gotten shots today. It always took Zephyr a day or two to bounce back from kitten shots.

She hasn't gotten her rabies shot yet due to shelter vet time constraints, so maybe that helped.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've vaccinated chickens, pigs,houses, cows, and puppies
You're doing pretty good if you can vaccinate a house. :crackup:

Actually reminds me of when I got a pretty serious concussion from a horse clobbering me in the head. The doctor wrote out 'horse', but when it was transcribed it read 'hit in head by hose'.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
No, I haven't done vaccinations yet. I started with microchips at the time I did because 1.) I do daily sub q fluids on one of my personal pets so I'm used to sticking a big needle under cat skin, and 2.) I happened to say "I want to train on microchips" at the exact moment someone was available to train me and we had chipping that needed to be done. ;)

I'm going to ask to learn vaccinations this week. I've always had the vet vaccinate my personal animals, but Toad is technically still a foster (I'm going to be adopting her) so hers are done at the shelter.

I'm insane enough that my round trip for work is 90 minutes. :) I didn't want Toad to stay at the shelter all day because we have a URI going around, so I took her in on my day off.
Here in SoCal people as a matter of course drive 45 minutes to work one way every day, many drive longer than that and they don't consider themselves insane, it's just what you have to do.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would really hate having a long commute. John works a few blocks from where we live - he walked to work until it got cold. It's about a 5 minute walk. He still argues with me about walking to work because he wants me to have the car in case of emergency but I don't want him walking back in the cold at midnight. And if there's an emergency, I probably won't be driving, anyway. A true emergency would likely result in me calling an ambulance. And, the hospital is less than a mile away anyway.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've vaccinated chickens, pigs,houses, cows, and puppies but never a cat. I don't imagine it would be much different than the rest, though. Well, except for the chickens. You just put drops on the noseholes in their beaks.
Off to Wal Mart in a few. I want to see about finding some sweatpants. I'm carrying high and my waist hasn't changed much so I can still wear my jeans, but they're a bit snug and sweatpants would be more comfortable. I also want to drag John to the baby section. We don't have much for him. A few clothes and a couple blankets, a car seat, bouncer, playpen, and maybe a bassinet. I'm going to nurse so bottles won't be necessary but diapers might be nice to have. Lol. My sister's last baby was a girl and she already got rid of the boys' itty bitty clothes but she's gonna give us everything she has starting at about 18 months. It felt like we had so much time and all of a sudden, we have less than 9 weeks to go and I'm starting to freak out.
Have a baby shower and tell people what you need, no reason you can't host the shower yourself, I was just at one where the mama-and papa-to-be hosted it and about 25 people showed up and brought things they really needed instead of all the cutesy things that people are wont to bring if left to their own devices. I brought two big boxes of wipes refills, they went well with the one box of wipes in a plastic tub somebody else had brought. They had soft drinks, water and some home-made appetizers, so the party did not cost them much.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about it, but I can't think of a place to have it and, after planning a wedding, even the thought of planning anything else just makes me feel drained. All my friends and family are asking what we need anyway, so an actual shower doesn't seem necessary.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
All colleges in my province have been on strike for 5 weeks now. I've been isolated since I don't go anywhere else but school. A friend from highschool texted me this morning and told me that she doesn't think we should be friends anymore because we barely talk. But at the same time, I'm the only one making the effort to connect with her. Her excuse is that her new job and school takes up all her time so she's ending our friendship. Does this make sense to anyone? I'd really like to know because I'm already very depressed and this was just a push over the edge. I have a headache because I've been crying all day. I don't have anyone else to talk to. Sometimes I think something is wrong with me. It's like people never stick around for very long. It's like I never mattered to them in the first place...

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you just need better friends. My best friend lives in Texas. We agonist never see each other. In fact, her wedding was the first time I'd seen her in 3 or 4 years. I flew out there and stayed with her for a week in March. Then, she came to my wedding and drove with her husband, using the road trip as their honeymoon. I rarely actually see most of my other friends because we all have lives and families and don't live very close anymore. But we're still close. It sounds like she's just being a witch and you're better off without her. I'd say to just make new friends, but a lot of times that's easier said than done. It is for me, anyway. Most of my friends are people I've known since elementary school! Meeting new people isn't my strong suit.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have met a lot of new people in college but it's just been empty small talk. I'm an etroverted introvert so things are complicated for me. I crave deep conversation and just really connecting with people. I haven't had that a lot lately. But regardless, people don't stay in my life... Unless it's family. They're always around but friends? Nope. People always cycle in and out. They're usually not around any longer than 8 months to a year. It's so weird.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Samai is showing her true colors today. I don't know what happened to that cute timid little kitten with the Puss-N-Boots eyes. She is showing me that she is actually from the bowels of Hell.
I'm trying really, really hard not to hurt her.
But it makes me think to ask the question. Has anyone ever had a bipolar cat?
She was sleeping and purring, then just went to town on me. Purring the whole time as blood was spouting from me.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Samai is showing her true colors today. I don't know what happened to that cute timid little kitten with the Puss-N-Boots eyes. She is showing me that she is actually from the bowels of Hell.
I'm trying really, really hard not to hurt her.
But it makes me think to ask the question. Has anyone ever had a bipolar cat?
She was sleeping and purring, then just went to town on me. Purring the whole time as blood was spouting from me.
I don't know if I'd call it "bipolar" but Felix is like this quite often. However, he his far from his kitten days. If I'm petting him too softly or too rough, he gets TRIGGERED. He'll complain and bite me up but will calm down quickly afterwards to recieve more attention.

How old is your kitty? I remember those golden days. Swinging from curtains and tablecloths. Wasting toilet paper. Scratching furniture. Breaking glass cups. You name it. It's really about learning and testing authority and boundaries. Please don't get angry. Frustration leads to anger and anger almost never leads to anything good. It's best to show the animal that you are the leader and unshaken by their disobedience.

I don't know what it is about kittens but every kitten that's come into my care has had the pleasure of making my life a little less comfortable. It's like they find that one thing that bothers you and they'll do it over and over again.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a rude awakening this morning at 12:30:angrywoman: No, not the cats. The :censored: low battery chirp for the smoke detector :argh:I changed the battery twice last week, on Sunday and then on Wednesday, with brand new batteries:angrywoman:. The smoke detector is hard wired so it should not be using the battery at all unless the power goes out. The whole smoke detector is clearly malfunctioning, which I guess is expected since it's over 10 years ago and probably has cat hair and dust clogging up the insides. I dragged out the ladder and popped in a new battery to quiet the damn thing. I'll give the maintenance person a call tomorrow morning and see if he can replace all my detectors in the afternoon. The detector seems to work ok with an new battery for 3 days before it starts chirping again so if I can't leave work early tomorrow, Wednesday might be ok:crossfingers:
:clover:

Definitely sounds like you need some time off, Tally!
Hopefully the smoke detector saga ends soon. I'd probably be batty by now.
I'm good with the ensure shakes. They taste fine to me and they're coveted by WIC, which is good because they're kinda expensive. If I was buying them out of pocket, it would cost almost $150 a month for me to drink the 3 a day the doctor ordered. That's definitely something we couldn't afford! I Gabe anther appointment on Tuesday - hopefully I'll have gained something, showing that the shakes are working.
One of the neighbors apparently got a new sound system in his vehicle. Now, every time he leaves or comes back, I have to turn up my tv to hear it over his music and my walls vibrate. And sometimes he'll just sit out there with it blaring. Ugh.
I'm hungry. I have a random oatmeal craving, but we're out. I'll have to pick some up the next time I go grocery shopping.
I put in for a week off. The store will just have to survive without me. The funny part is when customers come in and tell me that I should work for them; the wage will be lower, but I'll get more hours! :lol::frustrated::sigh:

As far as Slim Fast vs Ensure, first thing to look at is which version. Regular, high protein, etc. When the exact variations are compared, Slim Fast always has less calories. Slim Fast also tends to have a lot more sugar and a lot less fat. With some of the crazy amounts of sugar Slim Fast has (one version has 38 grams, eep!) people with diabetes and hypoglycemia need to avoid it like the plague. Plus Slim Fast has a larger serving size, leaving less room in your belly for other food.

If you are trying to lose weight, yeah Slim Fast, though beware of yo-yoing. If you are trying to maintain or gain weight or simply feel full for longer, Ensure is the way to go. I've tried both when looking for maintaining my blood sugar when I couldn't get a meal in a reasonable time and Slim Fast is like Chinese food, you feel hungry an hour later.
I can see that.

John and I were going to go out for dinner tonight. Looks that's gonna be postponed. He wasn't supposed to work today but he was asked to cover half a shift for someone. So he worked til midnight last night, only got a few hours of sleep, and had to be back by 7 this morning. His manager was supposed to come in at noon to relieve him and he was gonna take a nap then take me to dinner. Well, the manager doesn't feel like coming in. So, no clue when he's gonna get to leave. The manager rarely actually works and she's salaried so she gets paid regardless. Must be nice.
That sucks. :alright:

What the :censored: is going on with my internal temperature????

The room is 73 degrees. I checked my temperature, 97.7, so no fever. And just like every day for a month or two I'm cold. Very cold. Most nights I'm wearing a thin jacket over my clothes and still off and on shivering. When I take a shower I'm fine at room temperature and then I get colder and colder and colder. I'm finally warm, with athletic leggings under my jeans and a tanktop, a short sleeve shirt, a long sleeve shirt and the jacket. Well, no, the socks aren't keeping my feet warm and I'm thinking of doubling those up.

Before a couple of months ago, 73 degrees would have me in my underwear.

Between the feeling abnormally cold and the depression, I wonder about my thyroid. Problem is that I'm still losing weight. Yeah, between Halloween and post-Halloween clearance I gained 6 pounds back in maybe a couple of weeks, but I've already lost 4 of those while eating ice cream and fried potatoes.

I've got that stupid cold (virus) that just won't go away, but no fever.

Anyone heard of such a weird symptom and what might be the cause?
Anemia. I'm anemic (not enough to require regular blood transfusions, but enough to affect internal temperature) and I have a lot of the same problems.

I don't know how old you are, but it sounds a little like menopause. Also, your thyroid can mess up your body temp...a lot.

Somewhere around midnight my son and I took the dogs out to pee. We heard this really loud ROAR. Don't know what it was. It was definitely not the bear, cougar, wolfotes (or the non hybrids -wolf or coyotes). I have never heard this sound before. It seemed to resonate from everywhere at once. Set my neighbors dogs off and they are 1/4 mile away. My schnauzer ran back up to the door (they were both on leashes) and my beagle just stared in that direction with his nose in the air. He is almost blind and deaf, so he smelled something. My son just said "what was that?" We practically yanked the beagle back up the stairs and into the house.
We've been up here enough years to know what all the local wildlife sounds like, and this we could not identify. I think that's why it was so scary, we are out of our depths on this sound.
It was so loud.
kashmir64 kashmir64 Check the news. There is always the possibility that a captive non-native animal got loose.
:yeah:

But the explanation might be much simpler. I started feeling cold despite the layers. I finished the last of my glass of water and went to get some more. I thought caffeine might help and my cold-brew tea wasn't done yet so I opted for coffee instead of more water. Halfway through I started shedding layers. Back down to jeans and a tanktop and felt fine. So I drank another cup of coffee, this time without letting it cool down a bit like I usually do and I felt hot. So as a test I got soda, since it also has caffeine, I'm halfway through that and shivering, though I haven't added layers yet. About 95% of my time at home I'm drinking something with ice in it. Ice water, cold tea with ice, soda with ice, I always have something I'm sipping non-stop. Maybe I'm just drinking far too much chilled beverages and I need to start drinking room temperature drinks.
That could be helping the problem.

Watching ID, and there's lots of mention about DNA excluding someone the police think did it. Every now and then I wonder how accurate the science is. There's a seemingly rare condition called Chimera Syndrome, where someone has two sets of DNA. But doctors only find it when there's reason to test multiple tissues for DNA and the tissues being tested have the different sets. Blood and cheek cells could be the same in someone with Chimera Syndrome, and it's the sex organs and hair that has the different set.

Since most people don't need to have multiple tissues tested for DNA there's really no telling how rare or common the syndrome is. So how many guilty people manage to get a pass from DNA testing because no one, including them, know they are carrying two sets of DNA?
Please don't forget there are times when it's falsely positive. There was one case (that I remember) where an innocent person was jailed because he'd donated either blood or bone marrow that got put in the perpetrator of the crime and that was what the forensics at the scene found.

You're not ranting; you're letting off steam, and that's one of the things this thread is for.

Margret
:yeah:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeepers Creepers is on TV. I've only seen it once, forgotten most of it, but it's one of my favorite horror movies. It's a favorite because the cute girl who is the focus of the movie, a character that normally dies at the end of every horror movie, is the strong-willed survivor. The more typical horror movie that lets the main girl live, she's captive or you think she's dead but comes back for a sequel or other gruesome non-fatal fate. This movie, the chick is yelling at the monster as she chases after it at the end.

And my favorite scene in the movie is the two kids in the car, the girl in the driver's seat, they just hit the monster with the car and are looking at it lying on the road. The guy asks "Is it dead?" Typical horror movie, they'd agree it's dead and drive off. Nope, she states firmly "They never are." And then she puts the car in reverse and runs over it again, and then back into drive to run over it a third time, and back and forth until she breaks the axle.
Once, back when LS was bout five or six, AWM and LS were on their way back home from--somewhere. I can't remember where and it's not important anyway--what is important is the way they took to get home--through the back roads. (They did this because LS said she wanted to see deer. Please keep that in mind.) So they're cruising down the thin (barely two lane), wooded road when a flock of deer start crossing the road. AWM leaned over to roust LS (it was late at night and she'd fallen asleep in the car), and then the last deer in the flock changed direction and the SUV rolled right over it. (According to AWM, LS's eyes went wide and round as she gripped the car seat as hard as she could.) Shocked and startled, AWM threw the car into reverse. However, she was a little shaken and reversed too far--ended up going right over the deer again, but went back about twenty feet. Oops--she decided to pull forward again--and went too far once more and over the deer. When they got back and told me about it I couldn't stop laughing, because I had just seen the movie (since I'm so much older than my sibs, I had to wait until they were out of the house to watch scary movies). Here's the best part (as far as I'm concerned): AWM finally decided that she was not driving again, grabbed her car knife (if the deer wasn't dead she was going to give it a mercy stroke) and got out. The deer saw her walking towards it, leaped to its feet, and ran away! :flail::lol::crackup: LS didn't believe me that it was just like the movie I'd just watched; she thought I was laughing at her--until years later when she finally saw the movie! :cool2:

I have been so tired the past few days, I can barely keep my eyes open. I didn't sleep well two nights ago and I thought I slept okay last night, but I am SO tired right now. I thought maybe it could be all the animals in my room at night trying to sleep on/next to me- my dog and two cats. Maybe I will try keeping the cats out tonight and see if I sleep better. I know Artemis will be mad because he likes to cuddle. But I can't figure out why I'm so tired. :sleep2:

Sunday I could barely get out of bed, went to work, came home and took a three hour nap, got up, ate dinner, then went to bed again. All I can think of doing is sleeping. :sleep:
Could be a lot of things. Could be depression (sometimes it manifests that way), or it could simply be that you're exhausted and your body's trying to stop before it shuts down (been there--recently).

I've been kinda worrying about Marcy's spay. It took so long for her to really warm up to us, I'm afraid ou'd betraying her tiny trust. I know it has to be done. I'm just afraid it'll cause us to have to earn her trust all over again.
:alright::grouphug: She'll get over it, and we're all with you!

@MeganLLB Get your thyroid checked ASAP.

Or that. That could cause it too.

It isn't stupid, in fact, it is rather brilliant. It won't work for my situation, but I'm keeping it in mind if things change!

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment, which is why it won't work. They'd go bugnuts immediately! If I ever manage to be in a house again, I am keeping that in mind!

That is so very sad, but kinda understandable. That experience, combined with a post-partum issue could certainly trigger that delusion.

Of course it does. That's your subconscious saying, "HEY...SOMETHING HERE IS WRONG!"

One of the few really good things about living in an RD subsidized apartment complex is that HUD requires things like that to be done!

I do that every time we change seasons, from spring/summer to winter/fall, and then the opposite on the other side of the year. That's also when my vertigo kicks in the worst.

Trust me, we are far more interested in the wonderful things you are doing for your kitties!

OH, yes. You can get some quite pretty ones for around $1 a square foot, some that even look like hardwood flooring planks! And if you put down a coat of Kilz primer on the floor, those tiles will stay in place forever!

View attachment 205091
Yeah--still not sure what's causing the problem with my wrist. I mean, I've had problems where it gets stiff and painful after doing stuff all day (or night), but when I first wake up? That's strange. (And the cousin's still in therapy about it.)

I called the vet's office. They won't let me drug her before bringing her in. They said they just don't do that. Hopefully she'll get over it quickly and not hate us forever.
:vibes::goodluck:

The Keurig machine itself is expensive. That's why it was put on my Christmas list. There's some other brands that use the same pod setup, a couple are less than $30 but I don't know how well they work.

The stupid little pods are expensive as gold-dipped crap. The way around that though is a reusable pod. I get the metal mesh ones. The $5 one I got at Walmart lasted a year before the mesh started rusting and I had to toss it. The current one is Keurig brand, because it and the off-brand one at Target are both $15 and Cartwheel had the entire Keurig brand for 20% one week. There's a second reusable type, a plastic frame with disposable filters, but I don't want to have to buy a pack of filters all the time, even though it's $5 for 50 filters. However some people swear there's a metallic taste with the mesh ones, so they would probably go for that style.

If you drink a lot of coffee or tea on a regular basis, the Keurig is not for you. If you are like me where you only want a cup now and then, and even when you want a lot of hot drinks you are bouncing between what you are drinking, then it's for you. With a regular coffee pot I'd have one or two cups and then have to dump the rest of the coffee because it was cold. Too wasteful. The Keurig, I can get hot water in seconds for steeping any of the 5 or 6 different teas I have in the house, I can put in one of the two loose teas and not have to worry about steeping, or I can put in any of the three different flavors of coffee I've got.
Wouldn't work for my house. AWM goes through at least twelve cups of coffee a day (about three a sitting), and when I make hot water for tea or cider RB and AWM decide they want some too.

I will never understand why people put carpet in a bathroom or other high traffic messy area :headshake: My great aunt and uncle had carpet in their bathroom and kitchen for years. Off-white carpet, too. By the time their daughter sold their condo unit, the carpet was horribly dingy and stained and the floor under the carpet in the bathroom was rotted and moldy especially around the toilet.

My new detectors are in :woohoo: Well, two of them anyways. It turns out that I don't have 2 smoke and 1 CO2. I actually have 2 CO2 and 1 smoke:rolleyes:. The malfunctioning one is a CO2. The maintenance person replaced that one and the smoke one in the hallway. They're from 2007. The bedroom one is a CO2. The maintenance person took a look at it and it has a date of 2012 so it's technically still good but I'd like to replace it anyways to keep it on the same replacement schedule as the other two detectors. So the extra smoke detector is going back to Amazon and will be replaced with another CO2 one. I'll give the maintenance person a call when it comes in so he can replace it.

The cats and I can now sleep at night without fear of a sudden ear piercing chirp:bliss::sleep2:
Congratulations on the quiet! :)

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a completely stupid moment this morning. Blind Petie loves to follow me around the house in the morning. He chases the sound of my footsteps often nipping at my legs until I play with him. This morning I got out of bed, went to start coffee and came back to a soiled pillow. Petie was sitting right next to the soiled spot. It could have been him(he is a sprayer)or it could have been guilt by association. No matter, I scooped up Petie and the pillow and marched them out of the room.
Set Petie down and was taking the pillow to the laundry when we had a bottleneck in the hallway.
It is a 3 and a half foot long hall just off the kitchen door that leads to the bedroom and also the laundry.
Petie and my hubs were in a stand off at the bedroom door and I wanted into the laundry. I pointed to the kitchen and ordered Petie to go to the kitchen. He sat and "looked" up at me. He can't really look because he can't see, I looked into his face and then at my hand.
"Why on earth am I pointing? Good grief!!!"

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, falling way too behind to continue--so let me rant a little about what's been going on in my life. (Just venting--not really angry, just tired.)

First of all, the store is down to five people. What? How could that be? I'm not entirely sure how it happened myself :headscratch:, but we're down to five people. Which means that there are enough people to work split shifts on Thanksgiving--for every shift but mine. (Trying to think about the holiday pay and not how bleeping exhausted I am. Two days rest is just not enough for another nine. At least I'm doing better than the AM; she's expected to work fifty+ hours a week and I'm not.) Then, a couple of mornings ago, I came home and the house was freezing. (It was below freezing outside--enough for a hard frost, but not a deep one. I don't know the exact temp.) So I checked to see if the thermostat was on (AWM's going through the change and sometimes turns it off at night) and it was, so I figured the problem was with me (when I get chilled it takes a long time to warm back up again) and thought no more about it. A little while later AWM got up and demanded to know why it was so cold in the house. So, AWM and I both went to check, AWM went to turn the thermostat up--and there was a spark behind the glass, where no spark should be. So, AWM went about trying to get the heater fixed (it's either a burnt out coil, coolant leak, motherboard problem, or all of the above--meaning, we need a new heater) and I went to make Kool-Aid ice for the night (I cut it in half with water, so it's just easier on me to freeze part of the mixture) when the kitchen sink faucet popped up and out--spraying water (cold water!!) everywhere. Between AWM and I we managed to get the faucet screwed back on--as the cabinet suddenly opened and dropped several dishes and broke them almost right on top of us. Then later, as AWM was driving around town trying to get everything done that needed done, the car began clicking, hissing, and several dashboard lights began flashing. (The car has been seen to and is now, once again, safe to drive.) Just one of those days on top of a long, long week. I might not be on the site again for a while, and I'm sorry I stopped trying to reply to everyone. I'm just exhausted. I hope I can get some rest soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.