The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Not a good day. My brother-in-law died today when he went out for a jog. Just dropped dead. He's 13 years younger than my sister - only 47 years old (I'm not even sure he's the age she was when they met). I only take solace in knowing that whatever happened, he probably didn't know what hit him.
Oh, I'm so sorry.  He was so young!  Your family must be in complete shock.  

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a good day. My brother-in-law died today when he went out for a jog. Just dropped dead. He's 13 years younger than my sister - only 47 years old (I'm not even sure he's the age she was when they met). I only take solace in knowing that whatever happened, he probably didn't know what hit him.
I'm sorry. 
 It's always hard to lose someone.

I'm also sorry, because this is where my morbid curiosity and macabre sense of humor comes in. Please pardon this outburst in advance, or skip it.

He dropped dead during a jog? And every teacher I ever had said that exercise would help me stay alive!

Once again, I apologize for my outburst. It's just how I handle personal death.

i'm so sorry for your loss. 

i'm wondering if there will be another firewood avalanche, in my firewood stacks outdoors. i went outdoors today and found one, and got the wood restacked.
We used to have a problem with that, but then we started stacking the firewood between two trees. (I don't know why that stopped them from falling over, but it did.)

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I'm heartbroken for my sister.

I'm sorry. :grphug2:  It's always hard to lose someone.

I'm also sorry, because this is where my morbid curiosity and macabre sense of humor comes in. Please pardon this outburst in advance, or skip it.
He dropped dead during a jog? And every teacher I ever had said that exercise would help me stay alive!
Once again, I apologize for my outburst. It's just how I handle personal death.
No apologies needed. He would have appreciated it. I'm sure he'd say the same thing. Over the last year he's been eating better and exercising, doing races and was training for a half-marathon.

He was definitely a comedian, and couldn't help his outbursts either. What made them even better, he was the quiet wallflower in the room who waited for the perfect moment for such outbursts.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

<snip>

We used to have a problem with that, but then we started stacking the firewood between two trees. (I don't know why that stopped them from falling over, but it did.)
interesting! and thank you for mentioning stacking firewood between two trees! no real (sizeable) trees on my property, just one very young red maple. i think sometimes firewood stacks just have a mind of their own. i stack very carefully, very level. we have many tractors and sometimes big lawn rollers rolling by, which can cause mini earthquake type shaking of the houses and anything sitting on the ground. so i stack my firewood very level and very non-wobbly, as well as stacking in a north-south direction then the next level in an east-west direction and so on. i even set t-posts spaced out along the side of the 8 foot long stack that had the (relatively small) avalanche, as 'extra/in case' support. and the part of the stack that had the avalanche is along one edge of 4 stack rows -- so it's a pretty solid stack 'rectangle' of firewood. something interesting is that, now i think about it, it's always in that particular area that the avalanches occur.

ah, well. this is the last year that i'll be stacking my firewood in that location, will be switching to closer to the back door area (which seems to be working out very well this year). although, i may very well be storing/stacking my firewood in my enclosed porches, once i've provided for proper ventilation while the firewood is seasoning.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss [emoji]128532[/emoji] the same thing happened to my mom's friend's husband, although he was only 26 years old. He went out for a jog and dropped dead of an aneurysm.

I went to my friend's son's wake/viewing today. There were so many people there that it took 2 hours for us to get up to the casket. I wouldn't have minded that too much if There weren't a ton of teenagers there being disrespectful, laughing and goofing around. We were in line behind a couple (probably 15 years old) and they would not stop kissing/making out! How is that appropriate behavior for a wake!?! Clearly they were just there so that they could get out of school [emoji]128544[/emoji] You could tell which of them were actually his friends as they actually seemed to be grieving. When we got up to the casket, My family and I gave Alicia hugs and talked to her a bit. She's still in shock (rightfully so, her son was murdered, shot in the head execution style, he was only 16 [emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]). She was obviously worn out and grief stricken [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji]

My mom does the scheduling for work and she told Alicia that we wouldn't need her at the restaurant until she was ready to come back. We are actually starting a fundraiser for her at the restaurant to help her pay the funeral/burial expenses.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I'm heartbroken for my sister.
No apologies needed. He would have appreciated it. I'm sure he'd say the same thing. Over the last year he's been eating better and exercising, doing races and was training for a half-marathon.

He was definitely a comedian, and couldn't help his outbursts either. What made them even better, he was the quiet wallflower in the room who waited for the perfect moment for such outbursts.
He sounds like a wonderful person to have known.

interesting! and thank you for mentioning stacking firewood between two trees! no real (sizeable) trees on my property, just one very young red maple. i think sometimes firewood stacks just have a mind of their own. i stack very carefully, very level. we have many tractors and sometimes big lawn rollers rolling by, which can cause mini earthquake type shaking of the houses and anything sitting on the ground. so i stack my firewood very level and very non-wobbly, as well as stacking in a north-south direction then the next level in an east-west direction and so on. i even set t-posts spaced out along the side of the 8 foot long stack that had the (relatively small) avalanche, as 'extra/in case' support. and the part of the stack that had the avalanche is along one edge of 4 stack rows -- so it's a pretty solid stack 'rectangle' of firewood. something interesting is that, now i think about it, it's always in that particular area that the avalanches occur.

ah, well. this is the last year that i'll be stacking my firewood in that location, will be switching to closer to the back door area (which seems to be working out very well this year). although, i may very well be storing/stacking my firewood in my enclosed porches, once i've provided for proper ventilation while the firewood is seasoning.
One of my cousins has the same problem, but he built a sort of half shelter--it keeps water out and ice off (they get a lot of show up there), so you might try something like that? (By the way, DD keeps his firewood in the basement.)
I'm so sorry for your loss [emoji]128532[/emoji] the same thing happened to my mom's friend's husband, although he was only 26 years old. He went out for a jog and dropped dead of an aneurysm.

I went to my friend's son's wake/viewing today. There were so many people there that it took 2 hours for us to get up to the casket. I wouldn't have minded that too much if There weren't a ton of teenagers there being disrespectful, laughing and goofing around. We were in line behind a couple (probably 15 years old) and they would not stop kissing/making out! How is that appropriate behavior for a wake!?! Clearly they were just there so that they could get out of school [emoji]128544[/emoji] You could tell which of them were actually his friends as they actually seemed to be grieving. When we got up to the casket, My family and I gave Alicia hugs and talked to her a bit. She's still in shock (rightfully so, her son was murdered, shot in the head execution style, he was only 16 [emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128557[/emoji]). She was obviously worn out and grief stricken [emoji]128532[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji]

My mom does the scheduling for work and she told Alicia that we wouldn't need her at the restaurant until she was ready to come back. We are actually starting a fundraiser for her at the restaurant to help her pay the funeral/burial expenses.
It's always a good thing to have a strong community to lean on. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Donutte, I am so so so sorry to hear this.. OMG.. ((hugs)) to you, your sister and both your families.. wow...

yes, he did go fast.. that is the only thing to say... what a shock to your sister!! I feel so bad for her.. 

anything we can do, please let us know..

((((HUGS)))))

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am so sorry for your loss @Donutte. Sending your family hugs and prayers and positive vibes. I can't imagine how your sister is taking this. So very sorry.

On other news my state has passed that right to work law through the Senate. Now it has to work through the House and the governor signs it into law. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do.

Honeybee was sleeping on me this morning. Pumps is getting sore again so I have to figure out something for money to get her back in for her laser therapy treatments. I have upped her pred to daily for now. We are getting more rain/snow Monday so maybe this winter keep her on a low dose of pred daily. Right now it's been every other day. My poor girl. She does better in the spring/summer and fall. Jon said she was outside poking around the edge of the house and under the deck. She sure loves it outside. Her coat has grown in so very thick.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
@Donutte, I am so sorry. Sometimes it's good that they don't know what happened. It doesn't help the ones they left behind. My heart goes out to you and to your family. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Darlin!  I am so sorry.  My condolences to your family, and for you, 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, no. I'm so sorry!  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a 5 cubic square foot chest freezer in the kitchen. DD went to get something out of it yesterday and miss Sophiesaurus jumped right into it as soon as the lid was open. It's mostly full and she landed on top of some stuff. She proceeded to start scolding DD. She wants that thing as her new cave in the worst way. DD picked her up, put her on the floor and closed the lid. Sophie was not pleased that she was evicted from her cave and started scolding her again. It's the sailor collar. She's sassier than ever with it. She actually likes it now and comes to me to fix it if it moves out of place. 

** She was never in any danger of getting locked in the freezer. She was standing on top of all the stuff in it and could have very easily jumped back out.  She was only a few inches from the opening. DD was there the whole time. She was in there less than 15 seconds.  We know to keep a diligent watch with her when we open anything with a door.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mickey is quite the murder-floof.

He snuck out into the hallway of our building.  Usually one or both of us sees him, but this time he escaped detection.  The neighbor facebooked John asking if he was ours.  Well, John went out and got him and he STUNK.  Apparently something out in that hallway stinks to high heaven and he found it and rolled in it or something.  I don't know.  So, anyway, he got a bath.  Remember how he acted the first time we gave him a bath - after John found him smelling like car exhaust - I didn't want to use the cat shampoo on him.  It's flea shampoo and I was worried we wouldn't get all the soap off him and it would make him sick.  So I used our green apple scented Dawn soap.  John and I have some pretty deep scratches.  I think he probably still has soap on him but we were both bleeding and wimped out.  What's the worst that will happen?  A bit of diarrhea from him ingesting some soap?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a 5 cubic square foot chest freezer in the kitchen. DD went to get something out of it yesterday and miss Sophiesaurus jumped right into it as soon as the lid was open. It's mostly full and she landed on top of some stuff. She proceeded to start scolding DD. She wants that thing as her new cave in the worst way. DD picked her up, put her on the floor and closed the lid. Sophie was not pleased that she was evicted from her cave and started scolding her again. It's the sailor collar. She's sassier than ever with it. She actually likes it now and comes to me to fix it if it moves out of place. :lol3:

** She was never in any danger of getting locked in the freezer. She was standing on top of all the stuff in it and could have very easily jumped back out.  She was only a few inches from the opening. DD was there the whole time. She was in there less than 15 seconds.  We know to keep a diligent watch with her when we open anything with a door.:catguy: :catguy:  

:lol3: "Miss Sassy Sophie!" Lol! I can just see her now, giving your DD the 3rd degree! :lol3:

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mickey is quite the murder-floof.
He snuck out into the hallway of our building.  Usually one or both of us sees him, but this time he escaped detection.  The neighbor facebooked John asking if he was ours.  Well, John went out and got him and he STUNK.  Apparently something out in that hallway stinks to high heaven and he found it and rolled in it or something.  I don't know.  So, anyway, he got a bath.  Remember how he acted the first time we gave him a bath - after John found him smelling like car exhaust - I didn't want to use the cat shampoo on him.  It's flea shampoo and I was worried we wouldn't get all the soap off him and it would make him sick.  So I used our green apple scented Dawn soap.  John and I have some pretty deep scratches.  I think he probably still has soap on him but we were both bleeding and wimped out.  What's the worst that will happen?  A bit of diarrhea from him ingesting some soap?
Aww, well if he'll let you, maybe a few wipe downs with a wet washcloth will get a little more out.
Hopefully he won't be itchy from any soap on his skin that didn't get rinsed.

Status
Not open for further replies.