The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully not but right now he's giving us murder looks and not letting us near him.  We did our best, I promise!!!  If he ever needs a bath again, I want full body armor.
LOL, I don't blame you! Angel used to let give him baths.
Whined the whole time, but let me. (I remember the first time, I didn't know what to expect, so put on a Jean jacket..Just in case! Lol!) He was a good boy though. Only tried to get away.
The first two years of our 6 & 1/2 together, he was indoor/ outdoor, & would get itchy from pollen, so I'd give him a bath about once a month w/ the 800PetMeds aloe & oatmeal shampoo & cond. It's good stuff.
Sammy, on the other hand, I wish I could, because she does go out, & also likes to roll in the sand. :rolleyes: but because she goes outside, I don't cut her nails, & I wouldn't dare try & give her one. I'd be bloody too! I tried to just trim the tips of her nails a cpl times, & she doesn't even like her paws handled much.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Connor and Murphy fight, but they're manageable.  Actually, they've only had 1 bath each - flea baths when we first got them before we made it to the vet for flea meds.  We got some scratches, but we were able to get through it.  Mickey, though.  I may have nightmares.  He's beyond impossible.  He dug his claws deep enough that a couple spots were actually dripping blood - on both of us.

They're strict indoor only cats so baths usually aren't necessary.  I have no idea what he got into in the hallway.  It's not even that long of a hallway.  But the smell was nauseating.  And he was only out for a few minutes.  The neighbor messaged John just a few minutes after he came back in from his cigarette.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We have a 5 cubic square foot chest freezer in the kitchen. DD went to get something out of it yesterday and miss Sophiesaurus jumped right into it as soon as the lid was open. It's mostly full and she landed on top of some stuff. She proceeded to start scolding DD. She wants that thing as her new cave in the worst way. DD picked her up, put her on the floor and closed the lid. Sophie was not pleased that she was evicted from her cave and started scolding her again. It's the sailor collar. She's sassier than ever with it. She actually likes it now and comes to me to fix it if it moves out of place. 

** She was never in any danger of getting locked in the freezer. She was standing on top of all the stuff in it and could have very easily jumped back out.  She was only a few inches from the opening. DD was there the whole time. She was in there less than 15 seconds.  We know to keep a diligent watch with her when we open anything with a door.

Mickey is quite the murder-floof.

He snuck out into the hallway of our building.  Usually one or both of us sees him, but this time he escaped detection.  The neighbor facebooked John asking if he was ours.  Well, John went out and got him and he STUNK.  Apparently something out in that hallway stinks to high heaven and he found it and rolled in it or something.  I don't know.  So, anyway, he got a bath.  Remember how he acted the first time we gave him a bath - after John found him smelling like car exhaust - I didn't want to use the cat shampoo on him.  It's flea shampoo and I was worried we wouldn't get all the soap off him and it would make him sick.  So I used our green apple scented Dawn soap.  John and I have some pretty deep scratches.  I think he probably still has soap on him but we were both bleeding and wimped out.  What's the worst that will happen?  A bit of diarrhea from him ingesting some soap?
Our kitties are always fine after a dawn bath--but we use unscented.
LOL, I don't blame you! Angel used to let give him baths.
Whined the whole time, but let me. (I remember the first time, I didn't know what to expect, so put on a Jean jacket..Just in case! Lol!) He was a good boy though. Only tried to get away.
The first two years of our 6 & 1/2 together, he was indoor/ outdoor, & would get itchy from pollen, so I'd give him a bath about once a month w/ the 800PetMeds aloe & oatmeal shampoo & cond. It's good stuff.
Sammy, on the other hand, I wish I could, because she does go out, & also likes to roll in the sand.
but because she goes outside, I don't cut her nails, & I wouldn't dare try & give her one. I'd be bloody too! I tried to just trim the tips of her nails a cpl times, & she doesn't even like her paws handled much.
A lot of cats don't. Ours like having their paws massaged, but that's because they saw me doing that to their mom (she got really  big with the kittens, and her ankles would hurt), so they let me massage their paws as kittens and I just never stopped. (They won't let AWM do it though.)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just have a few minutes before I have to leave -- a local library is doing a program about Pete Seeger today -- but I had a couple of thoughts this morning.

First, I managed to lose my cell phone this morning; it had gotten itself wrapped in a blanket (all by itself -- isn't it amazing the amount of trouble inanimate objects are capable of getting into?
) and, as everyone knows, there is one way to find your missing cell phone -- call it!   Which I did, and, obviously, found it.  The remarkable thing about this is that my cell is set to airplane mode, with wifi turned on, because I have unlimited data in wifi, and I found out the other day that since it uses VOIP I have unlimited free phone calls anywhere in the U.S. or Canada, without having to use up any of my data!  I love this plan!

Second, I got an email the other day about the dangers of acid in coffee.  It was, of course, offering a solution to this problem (a really expensive variety of coffee with the acid removed).  But I got a tip a couple of years ago from my sister-in-law -- always add a pinch of salt to your ground coffee before you brew it, and that will cancel out the acidity.  I have a great sister-in-law.

Later, guys.  Pete Seeger!

Margret

I was putting on my shoes when the phone rang.  It was Roger saying that he'd been unable to find handicapped parking so he wasn't going to make it to the Pete Seeger thing.  Then the doorbell rang.  That was the Angel Heart food delivery for Roger (excellent organization, BTW).  They come on Saturdays, morning or early afternoon, so normally I put a cooler with an ice pack in it on our front doorstep, so that I don't have to be here when they deliver, but I forgot this morning.  So then I had to put the food away, and by now the show will be half over by the time I could possibly arrive, so I'm giving up on Pete Seeger for today.  Computer stuff instead.  I hate being absent minded.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Well, I just have a few minutes before I have to leave -- a local library is doing a program about Pete Seeger today -- but I had a couple of thoughts this morning.

First, I managed to lose my cell phone this morning; it had gotten itself wrapped in a blanket (all by itself -- isn't it amazing the amount of trouble inanimate objects are capable of getting into?
) and, as everyone knows, there is one way to find your missing cell phone -- call it!   Which I did, and, obviously, found it.  The remarkable thing about this is that my cell is set to airplane mode, with wifi turned on, because I have unlimited data in wifi, and I found out the other day that since it uses VOIP I have unlimited free phone calls anywhere in the U.S. or Canada, without having to use up any of my data!  I love this plan!

Second, I got an email the other day about the dangers of acid in coffee.  It was, of course, offering a solution to this problem (a really expensive variety of coffee with the acid removed).  But I got a tip a couple of years ago from my sister-in-law -- always add a pinch of salt to your ground coffee before you brew it, and that will cancel out the acidity.  I have a great sister-in-law.

Later, guys.  Pete Seeger!

Margret

I was putting on my shoes when the phone rang.  It was Roger saying that he'd been unable to find handicapped parking so he wasn't going to make it to the Pete Seeger thing.  Then the doorbell rang.  That was the Angel Heart food delivery for Roger (excellent organization, BTW).  They come on Saturdays, morning or early afternoon, so normally I put a cooler with an ice pack in it on our front doorstep, so that I don't have to be here when they deliver, but I forgot this morning.  So then I had to put the food away, and by now the show will be half over by the time I could possibly arrive, so I'm giving up on Pete Seeger for today.  Computer stuff instead.  I hate being absent minded.
DRAT...so sorry you missed the Seeger thing.  LOVE me some Seeger!

All quiet on the Eastern Front today.  We are expecting storms later but now is just gray and sleepy looking.  

I have some hopes of being able to begin shopping for Little Bit's Secret Feral House this month.  If I can't afford a cat bed to go in it, I'll buy a cheap towel and sew it up with several layers of batting in it for comfort.  I have a roll of the stuff that has been taking up space for at least 5 years.  Could NOT bring myself to throw it out, and now I know why!  A couple of cheap washcloths will also make nice little rice bags to warm things in cold weather.  It doesn't get bitter here...mid-20s for short periods overnights is about the worst, so that should, with the weather protection, keep him in reasonable comfort!  CROSS FINGERS that I can find what I need, guys!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mickey is quite the murder-floof.

He snuck out into the hallway of our building.  Usually one or both of us sees him, but this time he escaped detection.  The neighbor facebooked John asking if he was ours.  Well, John went out and got him and he STUNK.  Apparently something out in that hallway stinks to high heaven and he found it and rolled in it or something.  I don't know.  So, anyway, he got a bath.  Remember how he acted the first time we gave him a bath - after John found him smelling like car exhaust - I didn't want to use the cat shampoo on him.  It's flea shampoo and I was worried we wouldn't get all the soap off him and it would make him sick.  So I used our green apple scented Dawn soap.  John and I have some pretty deep scratches.  I think he probably still has soap on him but we were both bleeding and wimped out.  What's the worst that will happen?  A bit of diarrhea from him ingesting some soap?
Aww, well if he'll let you, maybe a few wipe downs with a wet washcloth will get a little more out.
Hopefully he won't be itchy from any soap on his skin that didn't get rinsed.

Hopefully not but right now he's giving us murder looks and not letting us near him.  We did our best, I promise!!!  If he ever needs a bath again, I want full body armor.
Knowing cats, Mickey probably dried himself off with his tongue, so my concern would be what he ingested.  @Alicia88, it's been over 17 hours since your first post, and I don't know how long it was between the bath and your post.  Is Mickey showing any signs of poisoning?  If he is, ER, NOW!  If not, you're probably in the clear.  But if it were me, I'd stock up on some unscented Dawn for future use.

We used to call it "Cat bathing as a martial art."  I don't know of any safe (for humans) way to bathe an unwilling cat, and I can't think of any way to protect your hands.  Forearms should be possible, however.  I'm wondering about some of the arm protectors that they make for archers.  Does anyone have any experience with those?  Also, something that you might think about would be some kind of plastic box or laundry basket, the kind with lots of holes in it.  It wouldn't be effective for bathing, which must be hands on, but if you could put something like that over Mickey and then direct the shower spray at him it might serve as a safe way to rinse him.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

DRAT...so sorry you missed the Seeger thing.  LOVE me some Seeger!

All quiet on the Eastern Front today.  We are expecting storms later but now is just gray and sleepy looking.  

I have some hopes of being able to begin shopping for Little Bit's Secret Feral House this month.  If I can't afford a cat bed to go in it, I'll buy a cheap towel and sew it up with several layers of batting in it for comfort.  I have a roll of the stuff that has been taking up space for at least 5 years.  Could NOT bring myself to throw it out, and now I know why!  A couple of cheap washcloths will also make nice little rice bags to warm things in cold weather.  It doesn't get bitter here...mid-20s for short periods overnights is about the worst, so that should, with the weather protection, keep him in reasonable comfort!  CROSS FINGERS that I can find what I need, guys!
man, if we lived closer.. I have a cat Bed that Artie never used.. a nice round warm one.. how much do you think it would cost to send to you??

It is just sitting in the corner of my bedroom.  I ordered it from Jackson Galaxy, when I was working and could afford it.. 

If not feasible, is there anyone in the Boston area who would like a nice cat bed.. round and a maroon color/tan color.. 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Knowing cats, Mickey probably dried himself off with his tongue, so my concern would be what he ingested.  @Alicia88, it's been over 17 hours since your first post, and I don't know how long it was between the bath and your post.  Is Mickey showing any signs of poisoning?  If he is, ER, NOW!  If not, you're probably in the clear.  But if it were me, I'd stock up on some unscented Dawn for future use.

We used to call it "Cat bathing as a martial art."  I don't know of any safe (for humans) way to bathe an unwilling cat, and I can't think of any way to protect your hands.  Forearms should be possible, however.  I'm wondering about some of the arm protectors that they make for archers.  Does anyone have any experience with those?  Also, something that you might think about would be some kind of plastic box or laundry basket, the kind with lots of holes in it.  It wouldn't be effective for bathing, which must be hands on, but if you could put something like that over Mickey and then direct the shower spray at him it might serve as a safe way to rinse him.

Margret
He's fine.  You'd never guess he'd had such a traumatic experience last night.  *rolls eyes*  He tried drying himself with his tongue but he's so fluffy I think he gave up.  He spent most of the night laying in front of the heater - which we kept turning up so it would stay on til he was dry - and giving us looks that made us afraid to go to sleep.  And now he's back to being lovey and snuggly and purring like crazy.

That's actually a great idea.  We have one of those baskets.  So if he ever needs a bath again, we'll try it.  Hopefully he'll stay inside and away from whatever smelliness he managed to find so we won't have to do the bath thing again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If not feasible, is there anyone in the Boston area who would like a nice cat bed.. round and a maroon color/tan color.. 
There's a local FreeCycle post looking for a small cat / dog bed.

If the bed can be smushed into a large priority mail flat rate box, it's just $18.75 to ship.

You can also just donate it to a local shelter or rescue.

swamplady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all. Yes this is a little out in space but it is important to me. I once weighed 289 pounds. I got down to 187. Now I am 220. Hope to get down to 140-145 area. I started today. My poor kitties did not know how to act since I was not in the kitchen all day. lol I am on MyFitnessPal. No I am not dieting the kitties. lol

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your diet!!!

Well, we got Mickey a new brush today.  With the other one, we would have to chase him around the apartment, brushing him.  It's not that he didn't like it - I think he just wasn't interested in staying still long enough for it or something.  Well, I think he really likes this one.  He chilled on the couch while I brushed him, then rolled over on his back and spread his legs out for me to get his tummy.  So, yay for new brush!!!  And of course Connor and Murphy got jealous of the attention or something so I gave them a few strokes til they got bored and took off.  Their fur isn't long enough to really need it, but Mickey gets hairballs if he doesn't get brushed.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Knowing cats, Mickey probably dried himself off with his tongue, so my concern would be what he ingested.  @Alicia88
, it's been over 17 hours since your first post, and I don't know how long it was between the bath and your post.  Is Mickey showing any signs of poisoning?  If he is, ER, NOW!  If not, you're probably in the clear.  But if it were me, I'd stock up on some unscented Dawn for future use.

Margret
Whenever we've had to bathe any of our cats in the past, my dad had to scruff them and hold them down. He always wore thick rubber gloves with magazines duct taped around his forearms. He's never been scratched or bitten yet.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm exhausted. We spent the day moving. Cats moved last of course. Carrot and Ruby seem to be enjoying having a new place to explore. Delicate angel Angua is not happy at all. Very nervous and hiding in her litter box. Poor kid.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Knowing cats, Mickey probably dried himself off with his tongue, so my concern would be what he ingested.  @Alicia88
, it's been over 17 hours since your first post, and I don't know how long it was between the bath and your post.  Is Mickey showing any signs of poisoning?  If he is, ER, NOW!  If not, you're probably in the clear.  But if it were me, I'd stock up on some unscented Dawn for future use.

Margret
Whenever we've had to bathe any of our cats in the past, my dad had to scruff them and hold them down. He always wore thick rubber gloves with magazines duct taped around his forearms. He's never been scratched or bitten yet.
That is extremely impressive.  Thanks for the idea.
I'm exhausted. We spent the day moving. Cats moved last of course. Carrot and Ruby seem to be enjoying having a new place to explore. Delicate angel Angua is not happy at all. Very nervous and hiding in her litter box. Poor kid.
Moving is always difficult, for everyone.  Angua will probably come out of her funk when she sees everyone else sleeping, in their usual beds.  That's a good sign of normality for a cat.  It will also improve for her once you've reduced your own stress level by sleeping and having a good meal or two.  Maybe read a book or watch television a bit, whatever relaxes you.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taxes are filed.  I'm getting more than I expected.  So now I REALLY don't want my job anymore.  So, I'm not gonna overdo the caffeine tomorrow.  In fact, I'm not touching it.  It's not healthy, you know.  And if I yawn, so be it.  Fire me!  PLEASE!  John still needs W-2's so he hasn't filed, but my taxes plus my school money come to almost 5 months pay for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Taxes are filed.  I'm getting more than I expected.  So now I REALLY don't want my job anymore.  So, I'm not gonna overdo the caffeine tomorrow.  In fact, I'm not touching it.  It's not healthy, you know.  And if I yawn, so be it.  Fire me!  PLEASE!  John still needs W-2's so he hasn't filed, but my taxes plus my school money come to almost 5 months pay for me.
Happy Dance Time!!!!   Put that money to good use!!!!  It will be a relief to know that you have a back up plan.....

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Happy Dance Time!!!!   Put that money to good use!!!!  It will be a relief to know that you have a back up plan.....
For sure.  I'm nearly positive we'll both have jobs before the money runs out.  So we can hold some of it back to put down a deposit on a bigger apartment as soon as our lease is up here.  We can't stay here any longer.  This place was fine for just me.  With John and Aislyn (half time), its just WAY too small.  Not to mention the 3 little fuzzballs.  I can't take 3 steps without bumping into something.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's early
  My tax documents are slowly arriving by mail. I'm still waiting for two more before I can do taxes. I usually get a federal refund which promptly goes into the bank and the entire amount put towards my mortgage. Yes, I'm one of those people
I usually owe some small amount to the state.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angua is doing a lot better this morning. Still not eating more than a bite or two of food, but I heard her eating kibble last night when the other two were in the living room so she's had something at least. She's getting a bit more comfortable and at least comes out of her litter box to hang out and to sit on her cat tower. The other two were driving me crazy this morning. Carrot and Ruby are very talkative cats and they had to fill me in about all their adventures last night in the new house when I came out of the bedroom this morning. 

Status
Not open for further replies.