The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the results are back, and my youngest brother has been officially diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum (basically Asperger's, but that's not an official diagnosis anymore). Well, I guess it's good for at least one of us to have an offcial diagnosis, lol. I think it can be safely assumed that the rest of us could get diagnosed if we wanted to pursue it. His doctor said there's very little point to an adult diagnosis, if you already know and accept that you aren't neurotyp, but maybe he can get some vocational counseling or something.
I am not sure what the goal of the diagnosis was.
My daughter was diagnosed with Pervasive Development Disorder when she was 4. Not a "valid or "official" diagnosis anymore but it doesn't change the fact that she is in the spectrum. Even with early intervention and a highly disciplined structured early childhood, she has still struggled. Her personality is slightly off, her sense of humor is slightly off, classmates at times found her a bit unsympathetic at times. High School was the best and the worst. She spent the first month and a half in after school detention for tardies as she struggled to learn the rhythm of her new schedule.
After Pre-kindergarten the PDD was only mentioned after the 8th grade. I wanted her to grow and develop as normally as possible without an Autism diagnosis to use as a crutch but when she started having trouble figuring out how to get to her classes on time I mentioned to her that we could let the school know about her problem so she might not be punished for it and she insisted on figuring it out herself.
As an adult I learned that I would have been diagnosed with Autism or Asperger as a child, if we had had that sort of diagnosis in the 70's and 80's. I suffered horrible abuse and ridicule at the hands of my mother for being a "mamby pamby" who couldn't make eye contact or speak an appropriate volume, for acting "retarded" because I twitched my hands, face and shoulders but I was also "so smart" because I learned to read before I was a year old.
I went through some of the same hardships as my daughter without support or understanding.
The same year I gave birth to my son, my mother gave birth to my half brother; three years later he was diagnosed with severe Autism and his diagnosis has been helpful and harmful to him. From him I have come to understand that in his own mind he is completely normal. He has struggled at times to make others understand him. He knows what people think of him and he wants to be seen as who he is instead of his diagnosis. My mother says that he has the mentality of a 12 or 13 year old but I know he wants to be an adult(he is 21).
I am 43. I have had a lifetime of searching for answers while living in a society that has been really uncomfortable and confusing at times. Learning the diagnosis as an adult has made me feel a little more hurt toward my mother but that is really all.
I don't know how old your brother is, so I don't know how long he has gone without therapy. The doctor is right that a diagnosis as an adult doesn't do much good unless your brother is willing to work on himself. In early Autism education the most common therapy is speech therapy; to work on social interaction, and structured routine. Routine is critical.
I must tell you that we are also living in an age that sees people who have grown up caged by diagnosis of developmental-retardation, Autism, and other brain abnormalities actively working to get out from under Social Services Disability and become main stream members of society. Early as possible knowledge and intervention is the key to learning to navigate and communicate properly.
I hope your brother can have whatever he needs and everything will be ok. He is still the person he was before he was diagnosed so I hope you still see him the same as before.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tallyollyopia tallyollyopia I love the kittens...is that slipper in there I see? Love kittens...even though I only had 2 in my life=I work too much to take care of them properly. So I tend to adopt the unadoptable cats or ones that come to me or just connect...like Honeybee..many people stopped at the house to check her out but for some reason no one wanted her. I am forever grateful that she came into my life when I was getting swallowed up in life. She is my little buddy. Last night I cranked the AC on 70 which is cold but I wanted her with me-I grabbed her from the window-got her red velvet blanket and got her settled on top of me like a baby. She made biscuits then passed out on me. I don't know how long she stayed...I fell asleep finally..Love her sleeping on my chest.

View attachment 197960

Here's her blanket-we have had it since 2014. I bought a few others but she prefers this one to make biscuits on and sleep on.
I don't know if you can see it, but all the pictures have all five kittens, and yes, Slipper is in there.

I know what you mean about sleeping--Slipper used to sleep at the end of my bed (or even up near the head with me), and after she passed I got lonely and tried to get one (any one) of the other cats to sleep there. Needless to say, I got used to sleeping alone.

What a quiet day it is today! Well, on here. IRL, there are painters finishing up the front doors (they are now black), and door installers going around doing their punchlists from the back door replacements, and maintenance running amok checking on the painters and installers, and the manager just generally getting in everyone's way. I'll be glad when 4:30 comes and THEY ALL GO HOME!

OH...I was worried about the black doors, but mine will look phenomenal with my wreaths! The fall wreath is especially nice!
View attachment 198004
Looks great! Do you have a wreath for every season, or just the holidays?

Random picture..Honeybee teasing Pumps...pumps hid under the trailer-Honeybee likes to walk by where she is to be a brat. This was in the spring-the strawberries had blossoms on it.

View attachment 198006

FLuffy Bee Kitty

View attachment 198007

Honeybee watching the mole hole I think-or just resting-there's tons of those little :censored: there. LOL :lol2:

View attachment 198008
Asia will watch, and wait patiently for activity. Spot will dig (he never quite grew out of it--he just doesn't dig in the litter box anymore) and Ra will position himself at the mouth of the mole tunnel to grab it when it tries to flee Spot's digging. We don't have a lot of moles anymore.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is still the person he was before he was diagnosed so I hope you still see him the same as before.
Oh, we KNOW we aren't neurotyp. The entire family. We have accepted that about ourselves and refer to our many oddities as Aspie moments. The first time one of us read a description of Asperger's we were like, "that's us!" But I know that some people get mad about self-diagnosis so I try not to say that on the internet.

My parents struggled as kids, so they understood our issues, even if they didn't always understand what to do (due to their own issues). My siblings and I didn't go to public school so we didn't have to suffer through that (my dad had the worst time with school) and because we were overseas Navy brats our social awkwardness was considered somewhat normal for the situation. So we didn't struggle too much as kids.

Adulting has been somewhat difficult, though, and my brother realized he doesn't interview well and wanted to get some "interview lessons" (I don't know what the real name is, lol), and his friend who has an adult diagnosis said that she was getting vocational counseling from them, and one thing led to another. . .

Last edited:

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some gluten free chocolate chip cookies that have gone stale. They're still edible and they taste good, but they're kind of hard to chew.

Does anyone know how I could soften them up? I thought about putting them in the oven for a few minutes on a low temperature, but I don't know if that would make them crispier... :think:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's way too early but I'm already done with Christmas gift shopping:D I only need to get a friend and her family gifts. My family doesn't celebrate the holiday and I don't bother with gifts for co-workers anymore. My friend is getting a winter hat (she mentioned she needed a new one), her DH is getting a gift subscription to a local foodie magazine, and the two DS are sharing a gift of red kernel popcorn that's still on the corn cob (it goes into the microwave to pop). And her cats will get toys or treats besides the shipping box ;) Maybe a shareable treat like PureBites so the dogs aren't left out :think:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some gluten free chocolate chip cookies that have gone stale. They're still edible and they taste good, but they're kind of hard to chew.

Does anyone know how I could soften them up? I thought about putting them in the oven for a few minutes on a low temperature, but I don't know if that would make them crispier... :think:
Wrap it in a damp paper towel and put in microwave for about 10 seconds. Be careful, it may be hot.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

I wouldn't cook them=more dried out. I would put a moist papertowel inside a Tupperware container and put the cookies on it with another one on top-wait a few hours. OR put them in the frig-maybe the moisture in the frig will help soften them up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always heard that the way to soften up cookies is to put a slice of bread or an apple slice in the container. I'm not sure how long it takes though.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, we KNOW we aren't neurotyp. The entire family. We have accepted that about ourselves and refer to our many oddities as Aspie moments. The first time one of us read a description of Asperger's we were like, "that's us!" But I know that some people get mad about self-diagnosis so I try not to say that on the internet.

My parents struggled as kids, so they understood our issues, even if they didn't always understand what to do (due to their own issues). My siblings and I didn't go to public school so we didn't have to suffer through that (my dad had the worst time with school) and because we were overseas Navy brats our social awkwardness was considered somewhat normal for the situation. So we didn't struggle too much as kids.

Adulting has been somewhat difficult, though, and my brother realized he doesn't interview well and wanted to get some "interview lessons" (I don't know what the real name is, lol), and his friend who has an adult diagnosis said that she was getting vocational counseling from them, and one thing led to another. . .
My daughter's struggles were mostly schedule. In Kindergarten she was in after school reading. In first grade her teacher pulled me aside during Open House to tell me my daughter had ADHD. First I told her that if she wanted to discuss personal things about my daughter she needed to make an appointment. Second I told her that she had no credentials to diagnose my daughter. Third I told her she was mistaken and because we were alone in the room I asked what sort of problem she was having. My daughter was not paying attention in class.
It was a misunderstanding. My daughter thought the teacher was a substitute teacher because she already taught after school reading. I totally reported that teacher to the Principal for the incident.
In High School her only problem was schedule. It wasn't her only problem but she didn't get bullied. She is under 5 ft tall even as an adult so she was little and cute, sort of a dandere personality unless something didn't go well; having to take the bus without earbuds or not having snacks to eat for class, the death of her hair straightener.
Classmates accepted her strangeness as mere eccentricity and were usually more than willing to give her anything she wanted.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some genealogy lookups and background. I find it interesting to know what my family went through before I got here. Just found out that my great grandfather (dad's side) was one the the first Lutheran ministers in the U.S. I didn't know the Lutheran religion was from Germany. He was born a German born in Switzerland and came here to help start the religion.
I'm not Lutheran, but this is really cool.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember being 18. It was not fun. Fortunately, as long as you don't get yourself killed you can grow out of it; I suspect that the time when your son grows out of it can't come too soon for you. :hugs:

Margret
I don't think he'll get himself killed, but he might be the death of me! I keep telling myself it could be worse - he's not into drinking, drugs, smoking, etc, and I have 2 friends with children the same age who are battling cancer. So our drama and angst are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do the same as for softening brown sugar. Put them in a closed container with a piece of bread. Wait about 24 hours before eating them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
or buy a white one and spray paint it black
I actually have the gold one that I may spray, but a couple of years ago I spotted some that look like wrought iron. I'd LOVE to find them again!

What a gorgeous door. Those turned out very well.
(Personally, I would have painted it tardis blue...but then all doors should be tardis blue. :p;)
Before this, our doors were a periwinkle blue, very pretty.

Looks great! Do you have a wreath for every season, or just the holidays?
Right now, I have a fall wreath (the one that you saw) that I add either an owl (October) or a Harvest Angel (November) to as the fall progresses, a Christmas wreath and a spring/summer wreath. What I want to do is make others, as well. I want to get grapevine wreaths and do several for seasons and holidays. I'm planning a pale blue one with snowflakes for January, pink with red hearts for February, pale green with spring flowers for March-May, and the one I have for summer. I love crafting and decorating.

Not the oven. Wrap them in damp paper towels and microwave them for a few seconds. 10 will almost always do it. You can "freshen" bread the same way, and reheat pizza by wrapping just the crust in a damp paper towel.

It's way too early but I'm already done with Christmas gift shopping:D I only need to get a friend and her family gifts.
Me too. I have one more gift to buy, and I'm done!

Wrap it in a damp paper towel and put in microwave for about 10 seconds. Be careful, it may be hot.
LOL...great minds, and all that!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard couple nights at work. Don't want to talk about it. Maybe later. Have a good day everyone.
:alright:

I've always heard that the way to soften up cookies is to put a slice of bread or an apple slice in the container. I'm not sure how long it takes though.
I always heard a lettuce leaf. All variations on a theme...

I don't think he'll get himself killed, but he might be the death of me! I keep telling myself it could be worse - he's not into drinking, drugs, smoking, etc, and I have 2 friends with children the same age who are battling cancer. So our drama and angst are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.
True, but I, personally, have given up on all the "Well, so-and-so has it worse" thing. Acknowledging that someone else has worse problems than you do doesn't make your own problems any smaller, and if taken to extremes it can make you feel guilty for acknowledging your own problems.

You wouldn't tell a friend who is worried because her kid is addicted to something "Oh, it could be worse. Just think how horrid it would be if he had cancer!" so why tell yourself that?

Regarding the Autistic Spectrum, people might enjoy this book: Download The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon - BookBub

I said for years that Vincent D'Onofrio played Detective Goren (from the television show "Law and Order") as if Goren has Asperger's; I didn't know at the time that so does Vincent D'Onofrio.

Margret

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've been doing some genealogy lookups and background. I find it interesting to know what my family went through before I got here. Just found out that my great grandfather (dad's side) was one the the first Lutheran ministers in the U.S. I didn't know the Lutheran religion was from Germany. He was born a German born in Switzerland and came here to help start the religion.
I'm not Lutheran, but this is really cool.

This is another case of the inadequacy of the US education system, it teaches nothing about the history of the rest of the world besides maybe England and then not much. Martin Luther, a catholic monk in Northern Germany, in 1517 nailed the Ninety-nine Theses on the cathedral doors saying what the catholic church was preaching was wrong, his main point was the selling of indulgences, meaning as long as you made a large enough donation to the church some dead person could be "prayed" out of purgatory or even hell. "As soon as a coin in the coffer rings, the soul from purgatory springs" was a rather famous couplet at the time (late 15th - early 16th century). He also objected to the veneration of Saints as they are not in the Bible and that people would go to heaven because of Jesus and not because they had done good deeds while alive. During the same time many other people also split from the catholic church such as Henry VIII who seems to be the only one that Americans are aware of, John Calvin, Huldrych Zwingly and others. This was called the Protestant Reformation (please google that). By the time your great-grandfather arrived here the Lutheran religion was wide spread in Europe (the 30-year war 1618-1648 was mainly a religious war) but mainly practiced by Northern Europeans such as Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and of course Germans in the US who had hailed from the Northern districts (everyone South of the Danube River was still steeped in Catholicism which is why the Amish, Hutterites and other religious rebels fled the persecutions).
Your great-grandfather may have started a Lutheran congregation but he did not help start a religion. There were plenty of Lutheran congregations scattered all over the Northern states like Michigan or Wisconsin.
Ok, off my soapbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.