The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Paint is there-you just can't use it. Nothing works. I can draw until the cows come home but save the file?? nope. gonzo.
In Windows, go into Windows Explorer and find the picture. Right click on the file name and a menu will pop up, which will include "Rotate clockwise" and "Rotate counterclockwise" as options. Click on whichever one will set your picture right side up. To make sure that it worked the way you wanted it to, right click on the picture again and this time select "Preview."

Note: "Preview" uses Windows Photo Explorer, and you can also rotate the picture in Windows Photo Explorer. This is useful since it gives you instant feedback of how the picture looks with the rotation. There is no need to save it separately; Windows Photo Explorer does that automatically. Also, I should mention that I'm basing this on what works in Windows 7. I suspect it's the same in other versions of Windows, but I don't know for sure.

Margret

Last edited:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you happen to visit an animal shelter, please do not say any variation on the following: "I could never work here because I just love animals too much." "I could never work here because my heart is too big." "I could never work here because I care too much." Etc. etc.

You don't have to justify why you don't work at an animal shelter. Most people don't have that job. I promise you, I am not wondering why you don't. I will assume you care about animals unless you give me reason to think otherwise.

It gets really old to have customers bragging about how they are (by implication) so much more compassionate than me. I mean maybe they are, I don't know, but announcing it to me doesn't make anybody's day better. I don't expect praise, but maybe don't knock shelter workers down to feel better about yourself, either?

And for the record, this happens a lot.
The only reason I don't practically live at my local shelter is because I lack transportation. I know they need help with cleaning, feeding, treating, walking dogs, they don't have anyone yet who can work on socializing ferals and mistreated animals and then there are the loads of people who are looking adopt and foster as well as filtering through
the clinic.
Now a few years ago I couldn't have worked in my local shelter because they just killed everything.
Shelter now is a no-kill with an active free tnr clinic that is working to bring the feral population under control and help(not judge)people who have found themselves with too many animals to make conditions better.
It is really wonderful.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you like to read your movies, you should see Amistad. Awesome movie.
It's in English right? I found it on youtube. I will check it out.

Like the Sailor Moon character?! Does he have roses too?
Yeah, like The Sailor Moon character. My son loves anime, well so do I. I was simply calling this guy Tux and my son expanded it claiming that he has seen Tux's sisters do all the work of snatching toys only to have him reap the rewards.
Tuxedo Mask doesn't like hard work. He loves to lounge around or play and he prefers Chinese and Korean tv though he will watch Australian shows.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
20170811_205638.jpg
Just because..this was at camp in August-looks like Windows Explorer worked to rotate them the right way..I have 1000s of images..lol. This was in my bedroom with the carpet to keep them from digging up the camp carpets. I had two banana boxes side up together and she went into the inner box then was coming out..she loves hidey holes.

20170809_073219.jpg

Here's the girls together-they were mad at me-I stuck them together-Pumps was up there already and I put Honeybee up there as she's the lap cat flexible hose kitty who you can stick anywhere and she will sit for a minute before springing off.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in coordination with a lady in IL about a 3 month old calico KITTEN!!! She says I can have her!!!! Nov/Dec going to get her if I can get my house cleaned out. Need my clutter gone. Now I know why people call 1 800 Junk, but I hate stuff thrown away..I got boxes of books I will never read...so I made a list of 5 things I can do right away- things to take to the book bins I see at Harley-dump the text books and other stuff I don't read anymore...bagged clothes need to go to the small thrift store in Barrington, and some kitchen stuff I need to take there too...
I have 2 more closets to clean out. got 2 done. Getting progress!!

Anyone want romance books I will mail them to you for free. PM me. Seriously!! I keep them in my home-climate controlled.

No moisture. No smoke. Nice clean spines. Harlequins/Silhouettes, Historical romances, and paranormals when they first came out in the mid 1990s. I just don't have the heart to throw them out. I love books!

I have a library with 10 book cases and I do need to get rid of the 2 I have in the center of the room. I should put a day bed or something in there. The office is a disaster. That's what happens when you don't have a basement or attic. That's where all the other stuff goes..

plus I was cleaning in my library Sunday night and came across 4 boxes of books from the flea market=they were under piles of books I was going to read..LOL. So then I have more books to take to the shop and price...I am very tempted to put on craigslist free books-I just don't trust people. I don't want some whack job coming to my house.

I've been in my house for 12 years-I found books I bought ten years ago on top of bookcases=lots of dust. Opps!!! But hey I am cleaning now..does that count?! Cant believe how many magazines I kept=those got recycled at work. My town doesn't recycle. So I try to reduce/reuse as much as possible.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in coordination with a lady in IL about a 3 month old calico KITTEN!!! She says I can have her!!!! Nov/Dec going to get her if I can get my house cleaned out. Need my clutter gone. Now I know why people call 1 800 Junk, but I hate stuff thrown away..I got boxes of books I will never read...so I made a list of 5 things I can do right away- things to take to the book bins I see at Harley-dump the text books and other stuff I don't read anymore...bagged clothes need to go to the small thrift store in Barrington, and some kitchen stuff I need to take there too...
I have 2 more closets to clean out. got 2 done. Getting progress!!

Anyone want romance books I will mail them to you for free. PM me. Seriously!! I keep them in my home-climate controlled.

No moisture. No smoke. Nice clean spines. Harlequins/Silhouettes, Historical romances, and paranormals when they first came out in the mid 1990s. I just don't have the heart to throw them out. I love books!

I have a library with 10 book cases and I do need to get rid of the 2 I have in the center of the room. I should put a day bed or something in there. The office is a disaster. That's what happens when you don't have a basement or attic. That's where all the other stuff goes..

plus I was cleaning in my library Sunday night and came across 4 boxes of books from the flea market=they were under piles of books I was going to read..LOL. So then I have more books to take to the shop and price...I am very tempted to put on craigslist free books-I just don't trust people. I don't want some whack job coming to my house.

I've been in my house for 12 years-I found books I bought ten years ago on top of bookcases=lots of dust. Opps!!! But hey I am cleaning now..does that count?! Cant believe how many magazines I kept=those got recycled at work. My town doesn't recycle. So I try to reduce/reuse as much as possible.
Why not donate them to your local library? I'm sure they would love to have them.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are not stuff they take..most are text books or older obscure books. Opps you mean the romances?? Yeah I should..but The newer books I give to them. In fact I gave them 10 boxes this spring. they are very small. I spread it out to Hannafords book bin, the one at Harley and the library then Goodwill/salvation army but I don't always have the time to do so..it's a pain carry from house to truck because when I am available-it's either raining or 100 degrees. I won't move stuff in the heat..and guess what we have coming this weekend?? Hot 90s! Yuck. Today is 65. too hot still to me!

Last Fall I gave a lady about 50 bags of books-she wanted to sell em-then last month she was trying to get rid of them for $1 a bag..so I think the library probably already has tons of romances already from her..lol. I gave hannafords about 15 boxes of books-they still trying to sell them..I try to do a few boxes at a time..but what can I say? I am lazy...and I hate getting rid of stuff..but I know I need to. The problem is I find them dirt cheap and can't pass them up.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you happen to visit an animal shelter, please do not say any variation on the following: "I could never work here because I just love animals too much." "I could never work here because my heart is too big." "I could never work here because I care too much." Etc. etc.

You don't have to justify why you don't work at an animal shelter. Most people don't have that job. I promise you, I am not wondering why you don't. I will assume you care about animals unless you give me reason to think otherwise.

It gets really old to have customers bragging about how they are (by implication) so much more compassionate than me. I mean maybe they are, I don't know, but announcing it to me doesn't make anybody's day better. I don't expect praise, but maybe don't knock shelter workers down to feel better about yourself, either?

And for the record, this happens a lot.
Part it is that while those people have convictions, unlike you, they do not have the courage of their convictions. It takes a loving soul and a brave heart to do what you do. I could do it. I would do it if I had transportation. The nearest shelter is 22 miles away.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adulation, success, death. Point is, I got used a long time ago to DD not being there at turning points in my life. Which is fine--stuff happens and no one knows that better than I do. So--how do I help him with guilt?
Well, first, it helps to know where the guilt is coming from. I see two possibilities:
  1. Accumulated guilt from all the times he hasn't been there for you, with the death of your grandmother being the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back."
  2. He's grieving for Grandma, too, and it's too painful for him to confront, so he's channeling that into guilt. It's not just you he wasn't there for; it's Grandma as well, but he can't apologize to Grandma now, so he's apologizing to you. This particular kind of guilt is a form of magical thinking, something along the lines of: "I wasn't there for Grandma, and Grandma died. If I'd been there for Grandma maybe she wouldn't have died. OMG, it's my fault Grandma died!" And the silent corollary is "If I can just be there for my family, they won't die." It's a way of dealing with the helplessness we all suffer from in the face of death, and while I don't think it's a healthy way to deal with it, I just don't know.
If you think it's the first, I'd say that you should simply explain it to him straightforwardly; you're not as delicate as he thinks you are. Am I to gather that you've tried this and it hasn't worked?

If you think it's the second, you know him best; what do you think? Which is worse for him, guilt, or grief? The problem with guilt is that it puts off the grieving process, which can be dangerous. Grief needs to be acknowledged and worked through. If you're really, really sure that this is what is going on, I'd say that perhaps you should try to verbalize what you think his reasoning is, and then listen to him, very carefully. His response should give you some clues of where to take it from there.

Tuxedo Mask doesn't like hard work. He loves to lounge around or play and he prefers Chinese and Korean tv though he will watch Australian shows.
:lolup:

Still no response to the email :headscratch: I just sent it to the general information address. Maybe someone will see it and respond.
:crossfingers:

Try getting in touch with Thrift Books, you may be able to sell through them.

Margret

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Follow up on last comment (ca page 150). I ended up in the hospital as I was not getting better. Sure, the swelling on the arm went down but I hurt all over, I hardly ate, slept a lot, barely fed my furry crew and the litter box went to hell. Finally had someone take me to the doctor who sent me to the emergency room because she could not figure out what was causing my symptoms which included a very low heart rate (in the 30s) , low blood pressure but no fever and various other weird stuff. After running various tests after having been admitted they finally came with a diagnosis: UTI. did not know what that stood for: urinary tract infection possibly traced back to the cat bite that did not bleed. They were surprised that at my "advanced" age I had never had one, that most women now by the age of 20 have had at least one. I stayed at the hospital for 4 days and came home as weak as a kitten, still just loafing on the couch, sleeping part of the time while watching old TV shows. Physical therapy 2 to 3 times per week because my back is still weak and I start to huff and puff just after walking to the bathroom and back. Even eating wears me out and I can't eat much. Two good things have come from this so far: I have found who are my friends and so far since my last post I have lost 13 lbs which does not please my doctor or the therapist who say I need calories to build up my strength. So I am trying to eat although I don't really want to. I have found that my usual breakfast of an egg, sausage, piece of toast and avocado is not what I want anymore, instead I make a bowl of cream of wheat, cover it with sugar and put this huge glob of butter on top and stir it all together. 6 weeks ago you would not have caught me eating that. All that sugar, gah! But the therapist says that's good for me, my body needs the calories to heal and build up again, and I am still losing more weight. I'd like to lose 30 more but will be happy if I stay where I am at.
Now I am exhausted from sitting here typing for so long and will take a nap. Woke up at 2 and could not go back to sleep, so now it's 4:15 a.m so I should be able to sleep. Maybe tomorrow I will read all those pages from 150 on to 163 which is this page.

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's on my mind? I'm finally getting closer to getting to the bottom of all of my reflux issues. This has been going on since like April of last year, and last week I got an endoscopy w/ biopsies. The doctor's office just called in with my biopsy results, and they said I have inflammation in the stomach. So, now, I guess I'll be getting a new medicine instead of the 40mg Prilosec. Well, if it helps, I'm all for it! I'm really missing all of my caffeine and carbonated drinks.

Just checking in for a minute before I go get the roast in the oven. Yes, I'm actually cooking a full meal. Actually, as big as that roast is, I'm cooking about 4 meals. I'm set, with the frozen pasta sauce, for a week after this! Later, Darlins, there are carrots screaming my name!
This actually sounds really good just about now. Mail me some, please :lol:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
get better soon segelkatt segelkatt sounds like you have been through the ringer.

I didn't tell Jon about the wittle kitty out in IL yet. I did get some more clutter cleaned up, cleaned carpets, washed the kitchen floor, got some meat cooked up.

I am still mulling over the kitten I want..by the time I go out to get her she will be 5 or 6 months old which is perfect in my book. I really hope I get the stuff done I need to get done-to get my house once and for all decluttered. I try to do an hour a day. Next Wed night going to take the bagged up clothes in the master bedroom to the thrift store in Barrington. I still have one more closet of clothes to purge. It's easy to purge clothes..books are heavier..now if they could make ebooks as cheap as paperbacks=that would make life so much easier.

I got an email from an exworker who has kittens..I took one of his cats many years ago..she was 10 I think when I got her. Henrietta. A maine coon look alike-small. 8lbs. She loved Jon. Spread out on top of his chest. Slept on top of our frig. Climbed up on the cabinets. For an old girl she was quite sprung to get up that high. She didn't like Floey. Pumps ignored her.

She passed away New Years morning in my arms-we just went to er vet and they told me to put her down-I couldn't do it..I thought she had asthma..she was panting. Very ill. Her chest xray was horrible. I had xrays done on her when I got her that first week-the vet said he doesn't know how she's alive-it was white cloudy-no black-but she wasn't showing symptoms..she was living in a dirty nasty basement-those people are morons when it comes to home cleanliness-the cat had no cat box or food or water-he said take her home-I know you will take better care of her-blamed it on the wife..typical nonsense...

so I still can't stand to think she suffered from my lack of knowledge. I will never let a cat die at home again. She was panting all day and by midnight I couldn't stand it-took her in, Jon said don't put her down=but neither of us understood how bad it really was. I honestly thought it was asthma and thought we could put her on an inhaler..wow was I dumb. The vet must have been so mad at me. I called up an hour later crying that she died in my arms and wish I listened. Jon was in tears when this happened..I screamed and was so upset..it was horrible. I never ever want this to happen to anyone else...now I pay too much attention to their breathing and worry..but at least I learned..I only hope I don't have to live through that again...

I had flashbacks for months after..in fact I am still shedding a few tears at how horrible her life ended when she already suffered enough before I got her. But she was happy with us. Loved laying on the deck in the sunshine. Loved not having beasty dogs annoying her. That was my first senior cat I had and I was hooked afterwards.

I still have a hard time with this..so after that I never trusted myself again. But I am slowly coming around. To understanding what it means when people say you have to live experiences in order to understand.

On another note-a happier one= something really neat happens every morning. I pick up Pumps to carry to the kitchen to give her pred/dasquin and I let honeybee sniff her foot as I am holding Pumps-and Honeybee always gives her foot 4 good licks. I am hoping if I can do this every morning as part of a routine that Pumps will start to trust Honeybee. She doesn't shake. Doesn't growl. She tenses up as if expecting the cat to bite her because in the past Honeybee licks her tail then chomps on it like the brat that she is. So yesterday I saw them touching noses on the couch. I hope they will get along better. And if we add a kitten I think Pumps will feel better knowing that Honeybee will leave her alone...let's hope this kitten gets along with them....because I really want Honeybee to have a friend. I think Honeybee is now 6..I thought she was 4 but we got her in 2013. and here it is 2017. So I don't know how old Honeybee really is but she still plays and horses around like a kitten..she looks the same to me..Pumpkin is looking longer in face like they get when they get into the high senior years but her fur is still soft and sweet looking-still nice body condition except for weight-

Oh speaking of weight=I have now measured out 2/3 cup of dry and told Jon that's all they get for the day. There's two dishes-so each dish gets half of that in the morning and half at night-in a month I will just fill it once a day but for now-they don't get mad as long as there's a few pieces of food in the dish...neither will eat wet food..I know people will say I need to feed wet...sadly they bury it and turn the bowl upside down.....and I wrote a book again.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaguely remember an old Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode where the person who did the deed had to relive the last 5 minutes of their victims death every hour. From the victims point of view.
Too bad we can't do that.
Voyager had an episode based on that premise.

Yes, it's okay to use Neosporin as long as you only use it for small cuts and don't leave it on for too long. The concern is that it's not meant to be ingested and Spot will probably be rubbing his ear with his paw and then licking off the sticky stuff. I've always heard that the best way to use Neosporin on cats is to apply it to the injury and then wipe most of it off after a few minutes. During those few minutes, try to prevent Spot from going to town on his ear. Poor baby.
I have heard, but verify because it could be an old wives tale, that putting Vaseline over the Neosporin will protect the animal from licking it.

Shelter now is a no-kill with an active free tnr clinic that is working to bring the feral population under control and help(not judge)people who have found themselves with too many animals to make conditions better.
It is really wonderful.
Sometimes I wonder if "no-kill" is all that. Where I used to live for nearly 20 years a few cities and counties had a contract with the SPCA to be the city shelter. Then during the last couple of years I was there the SPCA turned to no-kill and the cities and counties pooled their funds to start their own shelter. The reason? According to both the various city and county governments, and confirmed in the news by the SPCA, being a no-kill shelter meant no-kill, even if the animal was so dangerous that anyone handling them would be in danger or even if the animal was so badly ill or hurt as to need euthanasia. For such animals, the no-kill stance of the SPCA meant they couldn't even accept them and another shelter option was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.