The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I was eating beef jerky earlier and a tooth broke. (Even if I could afford the dentist, they still  haven't sent me my dental insurance cards. I'll be calling about them in the morning.) Here's my predicament; I need something to eat to get through work tonight, but I'm afraid to eat anything. 
 And of course this had to happen now.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I was eating beef jerky earlier and a tooth broke. (Even if I could afford the dentist, they still  haven't sent me my dental insurance cards. I'll be calling about them in the morning.) Here's my predicament; I need something to eat to get through work tonight, but I'm afraid to eat anything. 
How badly is it broken?  My ex chipped one of my front teeth and it was perfectly fine for like 2 years until I had to get another tooth taken care of and she smoothed out the chip while she was in there.  But broken sounds a lot more serious than a little chip.

Have you ever heard of jello water?  Basically, mix gelatin with water and drink it.  My mom and grandma used to give it to me when I was sick as a kid.  For some reason, it stayed down better than most things and the protein got me through without me feeling too miserably hungry.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Do you have access to meal replacement drinks, like Boost or Ensure?  You can't go wrong with liquids!  

I'm really sorry about the tooth.  What an enormous, expensive pain.  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, man, that's rough!  I can remember a horrible stretch of time when mine were just dropping out of my mouth, but I never broke one.  Hope you aren't in pain.  If you are, oil of clove dropped directly onto the tooth will help with it until you can get to a dentist.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avoid hard foods... and if you are going to eat peanut butter eat smooth peanut butter. I had a tooth pulled Monday and made the mistake eating crunchy peanut butter I'm just not ready for it yet.

And don't chew gum as that will probably make it worse. I hope you get it taken care of soon! I have no idea what my bill is going to be - but they let me make payments luckily. My insurance for work doesn't pay for big stuff until April just cleanings, fillings and extractions. So I had no choice but to get it pulled because I sure as heck can't pay for a root canal or partial dentures (I'll need them in the future) out of pocket! The good thing is that the process of healing is better now that I went to a new dentist. The community center took 2 hours to pull one tooth. It took her 15 minutes, no drill no drowning me with water. She'll continue to get my business. She's really sweet - and when she had to inject Novacaine into the tooth she just told me to hang in there because it stung like heck. I hope they'll be able to save the tooth!

Get well soon!

Last edited:

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mickey is grounded.

John got me a bracelet a couple weeks ago.  It was supposed to be a Christmas present, but he has the patience of a hungry toddler and gave it to me the day it arrived in the mail.  It's a Snitch bracelet!  I'm a Harry Potter freak.  I love it.

Anyway, it isn't gold and I have really sensitive skin.  I can't handle anything but gold in my ears, but I'm usually ok with bracelets and necklaces that aren't gold.  If they cause me a problem, I just paint them with clear nail polish and I'm good.

Well, anyway, I was wearing the bracelet and looked down and my hand and wrist were all blotchy.  So, I'm like, crap - I have to stop wearing it til I get some clear nail polish and I took it off.

Then, I remembered that while I was brushing Mickey early, he was in crazy mode and was grabbing and nibbling my hand and the bracelet.  He likes to try to eat the snitch.  And the blotchiness was caused by his teeth and claws.  He didn't break the skin - just made it look like an allergic reaction.  So he's grounded for making me thing I had to put my pretty bracelet away for a while.

Isn't it pretty?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
@Alicia88 - That's a very pretty bracelet.  Apparently Mickey thinks so, as well.   It seems he is a cat of good taste.

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend is flying in from Philadelphia today [emoji]128513[/emoji] he's staying until new year's eve so we can spend the holidays together :)

I spent last night wrapping gifts for my mom's friend's daughter. Her friend works full time and didn't have time to wrap them and he sent a message to my mom saying that he was just going to put all her presents under the tree unwrapped!!

My mom and I both love wrapping presents so we volunteered to wrap them for him lol. Well, I wrapped all of them but the big one on the right.

I also dyed my hair purple last night:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also dyed my hair purple last night:

That's great! Enjoy your holiday together 

I absolutely hate wrapping presents. I am the gift bag queen. You could wrap gifts for me anytime. You did a beautiful job! 

Love the purple hair! Purple is the best color of all time! 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

About a half of the front is just gone from it. I have no idea how it broke like that.

No, I don't. And yes. Yes it is.

I tried having a peanut butter sandwich last night, before work, but the tooth I broke was one of the front teeth and there was no way to bite it. 
 And I love peanut butter. 

I've never heard of that. Maybe so. 

Yeah, AWM told me. (She also had me pop one of her antibiotics so I could prevent an abcess from forming in the broken tooth. Calling the dentist (and HR, since they still  haven't sent me my dental insurance cards and I don't even know the name of the company) this morning. Hopefully fixed before work tonight. If not, eh. I can be in pain just as well at the store as I can at home, and they pay me at the store.

Me too. It's a front tooth, so it would be hard not to have it.

Beautiful bracelet. Bad Mickey. 
That tooth is going to need a cap or a veneer, both expensive procedures. A dental school could do it cheaper or even for free but those are usually in bigger cities. You can google your state to find out in which city yours is and go from there. I wish you luck in getting this fixed. If it's not so bad where it hurts by just cold air hitting it you might be able to delay it. And do look into making payments that you can handle.

Also, since you can't bite things: just cut bite size pieces off and then chew with your molars, that way you can eat almost everything..

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awful.  I did that in the past when a stone got overlooked when I cleaned/cooked dried beans.  Cracked and sheared a molar.  Had to get a crown and yes, they are $$$.  Terrible that it happened, especially right at this time.  Something bad happened to me now, too, not related to teeth, but still bad.  So I empathize.  If you have a blender or food processor you can puree anything.  My then-husband did this for me after I had a dental procedure that left me unable to eat anything except through a straw.  Some things aren't as palatable as in their "normal" state, but depending on how long you have to wait, you still need to get nutrients.  Vitamins are another plus, too, just to make sure you don't get depleted in anything. Best luck on a good and quick fix for this terrible thing! 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow, another metal-allergic person! 
  Do you know what metal it is that you are allergic to?  I am severely allergic to nickel -- it runs in my family.  Even a lot of fine jewelry has this in it as an alloy, to increase the shine, especially in silver and in white gold jewelry.  With me, the clear lacquer works for a short time, but my acidic system wears right through it, as it does through plate.  *High maintenance, not by choice*.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really weird. I just transferred a few months ago to another Post Office in a smaller town (not really a choice, it's considered a promotion, lol). A veryvery small town, about 400 people. Since I've been here, 3 newsworthy things have happened---there was a car wreck on the state highway with 2 people seriously injured, an elderly lady with Alzheimers drove off and froze to death when her car ran out of gas, and just a couple days ago a man was arrested on child sex charges. I found all those incidents on the county sheriff's website in the incident reports. But there was/is NOTHING in the news. Not in the Sioux Falls paper/channels, or in the newspapers of any nearby town. I think this is The Town That News Forgot :lol3:. It's just really odd to not get to read about incidents in the news. No wonder small towns have such robust gossip networks :tongue2:.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in a somewhat larger small unincorporated community awhile back, and found the same thing to be true.  The post office itself was quite an adventure:  There was no house mail delivery, so everyone had to have a P.O. Box in the post office and you couldn't get one unless/until you had documentation showing you LIVED in the community, such as a utility bill 
 which, of course, you couldn't get unless you had an address or place to deliver the bill to 
  And when you walked into the Post Office, you were often greeted by the ear-splittingly ugly sound of heavy metal music.  The people behind the door, if you could even raise one, were decidedly unfriendly and uncooperative.  So though I loved the place I lived and have not been happy since leaving there, one thing I do NOT miss is the post office there.  Ours here is not much better, come to think of it -- the local one has disappeared, and trying to conduct business through the central one is another adventure, like most things are these days. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, yes, when there's only one employee the quality of the service certainly depends on that one individual! This town doesn't have town delivery either, just the PO boxes. There is rural delivery and some streets in town get to have curbside boxes for that, but only around the outskirts. These things (boundaries for mail routes) were determined in the '50s and nobody gets to change it now :/. I haven't gotten a radio yet but I won't listen to heavy metal music ;).

I'm just really amazed at the news situation. You would think some nearby reporter might be having a slow day and need some filler, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.