The well-known problem of IBD or lymphoma and pancreatitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because that can cause the stools to have more bulk to them. Have you given any other sort of fiber based laxative such as miralax?

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can't offer you any help on the food. I feed my cats fancy feast classic. I am not recommending it though. Just what mine eat.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it normal when the stool is too much ? Sorry for the description but it seems too be somehow firm/soft it's almost as big as she is!

Can anyone recommend a good food that your kitties tolarate and seem to like ? Turns out she doesn't like her food anymore but when I give her Lotus with salmon she eats it way too fast and gagging because of that .
You mentioned that you are feeding "natural's instincts" limited ingredient food. Do you mean Natural Balance or Nature's Variety Instinct?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I messed it up there. It's nature's variety instincts limited ingredient .

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because that can cause the stools to have more bulk to them. Have you given any other sort of fiber based laxative such as miralax?
I only gave her pumpkin when she had diarrhea like 2 times past week 1tsp only.

Oh I messed it up there. It's nature's variety instincts limited ingredient .
How about the Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb?
She hates lamb :/ I don't think any cat likes it. I'll try the chicken again . Oh kitties and your tastes.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You guys. Mimi is pooping a lot.... Normal slightly soft but a lot! Like almost her size or more. Is this normal for a cat? I have never seen her do so much.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. Maybe because I switched the foods ? Still it's like 2 times her size . If she was a human I would say it's normal I have no idea if it's good or bad for kitties :(

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is breaking my heart.. Mimi had diarrhea again and today she was eating too fast and threw up all of her food 2 minutes after she ate, she then ate some more and digest it. I think need to talk with the vet again and increase the dose..

The moment I think she is better the next day something like this happens. And her poop look softish every day, I think if I didn't gave her the prednisolone she would have diarrhea all the time. And also I start to think that maybe she has lymphoma and I won't ever forgive myself for not letting her doing the surgery.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is breaking my heart.. Mimi had diarrhea again and today she was eating too fast and threw up all of her food 2 minutes after she ate, she then ate some more and digest it. I think need to talk with the vet again and increase the dose..

The moment I think she is better the next day something like this happens. And her poop look softish every day, I think if I didn't gave her the prednisolone she would have diarrhea all the time. And also I start to think that maybe she has lymphoma and I won't ever forgive myself for not letting her doing the surgery.
I'm sorry Mimi has diarrhea again. If it's IBD, I do know that it can be a rollercoaster. What else is Mimi on other than prednisolone? I've heard of many having success with a raw diet when their cat's IBD presented as chronic diarrhea.

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only prendisolone. Probiotics every day too . You know I want to try her raw but a little hesitating . On the other hand what else can go wrong ? I never had experience with ibd so I don't know how it is .. I thought it will be there but not so much :(

Does your kitty has ibd too ?

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mimi's poop is yellow pink.. Not good but she eats a lot, plays and is ok... The only who is depressed is me from too much worry :(

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are just concerned about your cat. I don't blame you one bit at all. You are doing well if she is eating and playing right?

Try not to worry to much. It will make you crazy in the end. Look at me

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha! Yes she is playing like a kitten and eating.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only prendisolone. Probiotics every day too . You know I want to try her raw but a little hesitating . On the other hand what else can go wrong ? I never had experience with ibd so I don't know how it is .. I thought it will be there but not so much

Okay, probiotics are good. I'm wondering if maybe there are some other things you can do to help her GI system. Have you checked out www.ibdkitties.net? Sebastian has chronic pancreatitis. Caesar has some GI issues, too, and it could be "low-grade IBD", so my vet calls it. If you want to try raw, you can always start out with commercial raw and go slow. It's already balanced and ready to serve. I have heard many start out with Rad Cat.
Mimi's poop is yellow pink.. Not good but she eats a lot, plays and is ok... The only who is depressed is me from too much worry
Hmm....not sure about the poop color. Yellow pink does not sound like a good color to me.  
  I'm at least glad to hear that she seems to be in good spirits. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, I am answering your question from MissMindy's thread here.

And as I find myself writing and writing and writing, I apologize up front for the length of this post. :anon:

The stool is yellow pink, not pasty gray/white-ish? Because these indicate two different things.

The pink is likely from fresh blood - this would likely be due to the IBD/colitis.

Yellow is due to the food whipping through her system too quickly, e.g. malabsorption. The volume is a bit concerning though - if it is gray/pasty, that is almost always a sign of EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) and a lack of proper bile production. But those are usually very large, fluffy poops, not watery or diarrhea. So it sounds like malabsorption, and there are absolutely a number of steps you can take to address that.

I am sharing information that has helped many other IBD kitties. Please bear in mind:

1) My philosophy is to address things with diet and appropriate supplementation first,
2) that is to say, for me, traditional treatment and medications can be very important tools, but are my second choice.

That said, please discuss treatment choices with your vet. But if your vet is ONLY traditional, and unfamiliar with natural approaches, do not expect support. At that point, it is up to you whether to find a new vet that is willing to be your partner, or whether you want to use any of these approaches at all.

- Has she had the cobalamin/folate test done? If her B-12 levels are low, her diarrhea will not resolve without this being restored. B-12 is an incredibly important tool in the management of IBD, and even if her cobalamin levels are "normal," B-12 shots (which can be done at home) usually improve malabsorption, intestinal function, energy and appetite.

- Steroids can be very helpful to control run-away inflammation, but making changes to diet and supplementation may enable you to successfully wean your cat off of them.

Here's my thinking on the subject:

“The main hypothesis for the cause and development of human IBD is that there is a dysregulation of the mucosal immune responses to intestinal microflora and/or dietary antigens. This same abnormal immune response to dietary antigens is often suspected in feline IBD.

…The important point that seems to have been missed is that it is actually the feeding of a species-inappropriate diet that has led to the rise in inflammatory bowel disease in cats and loss of integrity of the gut wall.

By feeding cats inappropriately and not recognising them as obligate carnivores, we have damaged their intestinal tracts… “

This is from Feline Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Nature and Treatment, Feline Nutrition Education Society (FNES) Lyn Thomson, BVSc DipHom March 09, 2012

While there are many vets - especially holistic ones - that support raw feeding in the treatment of IBD, it can be hard to find in print. There are no studies, so the evidence is all anecdotal. And switching to raw does NOT resolve the problem for all IBD kitties. That said, a healthy diet is a healthy diet. If we've been eating pizza all our lives and suddenly start eating salad, our systems are going to be upset too. That does not mean salad is not healthy for us. And is it essential the diet be raw? Probably not. Controlling the ingredients is most likely the most important aspect. That said, we have no idea exactly what happens when cooking and how that impacts a cat. Less unknowns in feeding the food raw. Dr. Lisa Pierson has developed a balance between raw and cooked that no one else employs. It's something to consider ( http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood ). But at this point in time, I've seen many cats switched to raw and have formed stools for the first time in, sadly, often years, have their first fully formed stools after their first meal of 100% raw food. Notably, the All Feline Hospital (in Lincoln, NE) notes that they “started trying commercial raw food diets with amazing results.” They further state

"We have had cats with confirmed by biopsy IBD that had severe IBD and significant symptoms that had to be on very high doses of steroids just to have some quality of life. Many of these cats had a complete reversal of signs and symptoms by going to an exclusively raw food diet, and were able to either come off of all medications, or at the very least, drastically reduce their medications."

So there are traditional vets that "get" it. Ooops, edited to add the link: http://www.allfelinehospital.com/site/view/206534_inflammatoryboweldisease.pml

NOW.... sometimes the disease has advanced beyond the point that diet alone will control the problem. Probiotics, IMO, are absolutely critical to IBD cats, as there has been a definitive link made between IBD and gut dysbiosis in people. This may not be the precipitating factor in all cases, but in treating bacterial overgrowth, parasites, what-have-you, almost all cats (and people) with IBD have taken antibiotics - often lots of them - and this has thrown their internal environment completely out-of-balance.

THIS what leads to leaky gut and the "apparent" allergy to some proteins. And THIS is why novel proteins need to be used, at least initially, when first working to heal the damage done from IBD.

To help repair leaky gut and restore normal function to the intestinal lumen, probiotic support is an absolute must, IMO. And not pet probiotics, which are given in doses that are too small, and usually in the form of "fermentation product," which are NOT live CFU, and function as digestive enzymes in that format.

Working with several feline IBD support groups, we are finding that in many, many, many cases, the use of S boulardii is stopping diarrhea dead in its tracks. Now - that is when the primary problem is bacterial overgrowth, not "just" rampant inflammation. But it is safe, and as a yeast-based probiotic, can be co-administered with antibiotics. In fact, that is how it is often used in humans, as adjunct therapy in the treatment of antibiotic-resistant Clostridium difficile in hospital settings.

The addition of MOS (mannan oligosaccharides) improves the performance of S boulardii, and thus we're recommending people use the Jarrow Brand (if you're in the U.S.). Many cats do not like the taste, so often you need to administer in pill form. The Jarrow capsules are too large, and the cat dose is half a capsule twice a day anyway for the therapeutic dose. But to use for "stop diarrhea," buy size 3 empty gel caps, and fill those. Give them every 2 hours or so while you're home and awake. You can safely do this for up to three days. If it doesn't help by then, it's not going to, but you should continue to give the S boulardii, just move to the twice a day, 2.5 billion CFU (half the jarrow capsule).

S boualrdii does not colonize the gut, thus it must be given twice a day. It clears the system entirely within 36 hours.

This is why S boulardii is such an important tool in IBD:

Simply explained in the Biocodex FDA submission (last link), S boulardii is not digested and absorbed in the gut and does not exert its effect systemically. Instead, S boulardii acts locally in the lumen of the gut. During its passage through the intestine, S boulardii mimics the physiological effects of the digestive flora, stimulating healthy immune response and reducing inflammation.

Saccharomyces boulardii prevents enteritis from Clostridium difficile infection
http://archives.focus.hms.harvard.edu/2006/091506/research_briefs.shtml

"Saccharomyces boulardii in Gastrointestinal Related Disorders," Point Institute Technical Report (2008) http://www.pointinstitute.org/wp-co...s-Boulardii-in-GI-related-disorders-paper.pdf

Saccharomyces boulardii effects on gastrointestinal diseases, (Zanello et al. 2009) http://www.horizonpress.com/cimb/v/v11/47.pdf

Review article: anti-inflammatory mechanisms of action of Saccharomyces boulardii, (Pothoulakis 2009) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2009.04102.x/pdf

"Systematic review and meta-analysis of Saccharomyces boulardii in adult patients," (McFarland 2010) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2868213/

Anti-inflammatory effects of Saccharomyces boulardii mediated by myeloid dendritic cells from patients with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, (Thomas et al. 2011) http://ajpgi.physiology.org/content/ajpgi/301/6/G1083.full.pdf

Efficacy and safety of the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii for the prevention and therapy of gastrointestinal disorders, (Kelesidis & Pothoulakis 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296087/pdf/10.1177_1756283X11428502.pdf

New Dietary Ingredient Notification for S boulardii (FDA submission) by Biocodex (Florastor) (includes summary table and references) http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/95s0316/95s-0316-rpt0301-04-vol239.pdf

Other tools to help stop leaky gut, and to manage a flare-up crisis:

Stop whatever you're feeding. Use a novel protein for your cat - if turkey is new, either buy organic turkey thigh from Whole Foods or somewhere, if you can find it, OR use Beech Nut turkey baby food (NOT GERBER: gerber contains corn starch, and this can be an irritant to IBD cats). If turkey is not a novel protein for your cat, you can buy duck or pork - pork is likely leaner, and fat can be a problem for IBD kitties. So buy a low fat cut like loin and trim it well. Poach it, and feed it with ALL the water it was cooked in, that has valuable nutrients in it. You can shred it or toss it in a food processor. Feed this for up to a week unbalanced. After that, you need to think about either introducing and SLOWLY transitioning to balanced raw, or balancing the home cooked food. It's not hard. There are recipes in the Raw & Home Cooked Cat forum, just use the desktop view and find links to the threads in the Resource threads stickied at the top of the forum.

In the meantime, make bone broth.

According to Dogs Naturally, “Bone broth is a long forgotten superfood that’s inexpensive, nutrient packed and easy to make.” This is just as true for cats as it is for dogs. The article outlines the reasons to provide bone broth to your pet:

1) Bone Broth is Good for Joints
2) Bone Broth Helps the Liver Detox
3) Bone Broth Promotes a Healthy Gut
4) Bone Broth is Great Nutrition for a Sick Pet

The “healthy gut” section states:

The lining of the intestines is [sic] contains millions of tiny holes that allow the passage of digested nutrients to enter the body. Stress, poor diet and bacterial overgrowth can cause more holes to open or to become bigger…this is called leaky gut.

The problem with those big holes is that things can pass through that aren’t meant to, including undigested food matter, toxins and yeast. The body will notice those undigested food particles as foreign invaders and start to attack them. This is how allergies and food sensitivities develop.

Bone broth is loaded with a gooey substance that can plug up those leaky holes: gelatin!

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/reasons-your-dog-love-bone-broth/

“Leaky gut” is technically known as dysbiosis, mentioned above. According to “Dysbiosis in the Pathogenesis of Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Diseases,” (Comito and Romano, 2012, International Journal of Inflammation),

"A condition of “dysbiosis”, with alterations of the gut microbial composition, is regarded as the basis of IBD pathogenesis. The human gastrointestinal (GI) microbial population is a complex, dynamic ecosystem and consists of up to one thousand different bacterial species. In healthy individuals, intestinal microbiota have a symbiotic relationship with the host organism and carry out important metabolic, “barrier,” and immune functions. Microbial dysbiosis in IBD with lack of beneficial bacteria, together with genetic predisposition, is the most relevant conditions in the pathogenesis of the pediatric IBD."​

Bone broth, full of collagen and gelatin, is a very healing and soothing food for your kitty, especially if kitty has IBD. I don't have references for it, but I believe the function of the collagen is as an anti-inflammatory.

This is an article and video recipe by Dr. Karen Becker of the Healthy Pets blog (Mercola):
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/02/pet-bone-broth.aspx

This is the same instructions in PDF format:
http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/HealthyPets/DrBecker-BoneBroth.pdf

Another article on the benefits of bone broth, this one written by Susan Thixton (of Truth About Pet Food):
http://www.theorganicview.com/recipes-health/cook-your-pet-a-healthy-broth/

The discussion of the role of dysbiosis in IBD (in humans)

Comito , D and Romano C. 2012. Dysbiosis in the Pathogenesis of Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Intl. Jour of Inflammation Vol 2012, Article ID 687143, 7 pages. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/iji/2012/687143/

Other helpful things.

Slippery elm bark powder. This is also healing, soothing, and helps address over-acid stomachs which many IBD kitties experience.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

Ongoing Probiotic Therapy. Including an acidophilus+bifidus supplement, to help restore important strains of healthy bacteria that populate the gut. My cats do not have IBD, but I use Natural Factors double-strength acidophilus+bifidus and give 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. I alternate this with Nexabiotic every-other day. Nexabiotic is the only probiotic supplement in the U.S. that I know of that contains lactobacillus, bifidobacterium AND S boulardii. When (if) your kitty's diarrhea resolves, Nexabiotic is an excellent maintenance probiotic for long term use vs. the Jarrow. Especially because most cats eat it just sprinkled on food. Please note, Natural Factors is not lactose-free, which is important for some IBD cats. And note that Nexabiotic contains maltodextrin, which can be a problem for some IBD kitties.

Digestive Enzymes. After ensuring your kitty does not have EPI, digestive enzymes absolutely help improve metabolism and digestive function. Use plant-based enzymes, they work in a much wider pH environment. Many have good success with Prozyme or Prozyme Plus (Prozyme Plus is lactose free).

Medical tools I think every IBD kitty parent should have on hand:

Appetite stimulant (Cypro or mirtazipine. There are far fewer adverse reactions to cypro, but it must be given 2x a day vs. once every three days)

Anti-nausea medication. If slippery elm isn't cutting it, you may need pepcid a/c (famotidine). If that doesn't help, try ranitidine (zantac), it has additional motility function. If that doesn't cut it, then cerenia. Directions for pepcid or zantac at Tanya's CRF website: http://www.felinecrf.org/nausea_vomiting_stomach_acid.htm#treatments

B-12 shots. See above.

Consider sub-q fluids. With IBD that presents with diarrhea, kitty is often dehydrated. Sub-q fluids given at home REALLY improve how they feel.

I might have forgotten stuff.

If you want to consider transitioning to raw, consider using Rad Cat. Tiki cat when converted to a per pound basis costs about $8.00 per pound. The problem with Rad Cat is that it is not easily available in many locations, and they only have chicken, turkey, and lamb. Rad Cat usually costs $9 - $10 per pound, but over time should save you plenty in vet bills. Also, cats fed raw typically need to eat 10% - 30% less, and that is not reflected in a comparison when just looking at cost per pound. Though making your own cat food is not difficut, and if you've been feeding Tiki cat, Weruva, and Nature's Variety Instinct, it will definitely cost you less.

Last edited:

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only prendisolone. Probiotics every day too . You know I want to try her raw but a little hesitating . On the other hand what else can go wrong ? I never had experience with ibd so I don't know how it is .. I thought it will be there but not so much :(

Okay, probiotics are good. I'm wondering if maybe there are some other things you can do to help her GI system. Have you checked out www.ibdkitties.net? Sebastian has chronic pancreatitis. Caesar has some GI issues, too, and it could be "low-grade IBD", so my vet calls it. If you want to try raw, you can always start out with commercial raw and go slow. It's already balanced and ready to serve. I have heard many start out with Rad Cat.

Mimi's poop is yellow pink.. Not good but she eats a lot, plays and is ok... The only who is depressed is me from too much worry :(
Hmm....not sure about the poop color. Yellow pink does not sound like a good color to me.  :slant:   I'm at least glad to hear that she seems to be in good spirits.  :)
This site ibdkitties.net is really helpful. I got slippery elm bark with it helps and the probiotics . Really good info there.

I have nothing to loose with raw so I might as well try it. ;)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

arinlars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow LDG your posts is super informative and helpful!! Thank you for taking all that time to post this .

I am giving her now natures variety venison wet food but not the limited edition because she enjoys that most. The limited edition when I put it in the fridge it's so dry after and it's dry in general. Even if I mix it with slippery Elm bark and pumpkin. I will switch to raw as I m convinced that with help a lot. We switch to no grain all natural (as much it can be) good expensive food like lotus, natures variety and tiki cat etc etc (I try to find one that helps her gut and she likes to eat because she looses weight) without carageenan and guar gum.

I am giving her also probiotics which I don't remember the brand but it's recommended from ibdkitties.net and I will try the s bulardii too.

Now the poop is firm but a little bit runny inside something's, and the color it's yellow with some pink inside. Usually it's. Yellow all the time . She gained last week 10gr but this week she pooped it all out and she lost them.. She eats all the time but she doesn't get fat (every human dream right?) . She did tests for thyroid everything cAme back perfect.

Her vet, which I visited again today to return the foods that he gave me(z/d) as I was convinced that they only harm my kitty and they have carageenan, he said he has no idea for herbs and he told me he only knows how to approach this ibd with medicine and even told me that raw food is bad for kitties because they don't live in the wild anymore.... I found a holistic vet online which I will schedule an appointment , as I think that will help her a lot. So Much money I spend for kitty almost 4 paychecks.. But if the holistic vet can help her then it's worth it.i know I do acupuncture and it helps me as well as Chinese medicine, so why not kitty?

She has flare ups like every other week. And she takes the meatloaf position but if I wave a toy she flips out, is frisky and shows me her belly for belly kisses and rubs. She is actually one rare kitty. All the kitties I know hate belly touching!

She also never did blood exam for b12 deficiency which I think she may have one... I will ask the holistic vet once I get an appointment.

So where do I find bone broth? The only thing that vet said about food is to try and make my own raw food, which I could but I lack of time..I am also afraid to do my own raw food as I don't know if I do it right. Do the supermarket sell bone broth? Where should I get some? Can I mix it with her normal wet food? I want to invest in a good raw food as I think that would help.
Again thank you for the awesome detailed answer!:rub:

Status
Not open for further replies.