The Weight Loss Support Group - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That sounds painful.  I'm glad that you have your stitches coming out, so you can get back to the foods you want to eat.  If this restaurant has any chicken or fish dishes, they are always lower in calories, and grilled with a chimichuri (sorry, can't spell) sauce on the side for just dipping, would work...maybe they'll have skewers of chicken and veggies?  That would be nummy :)
It was Pat.  Especially the first 24-48 hours.  Ugh.  It was only Saturday that it began feeling better.  

Thanks for the tips for dinner. I totally forgot that I probably can get something grilled - there's always a couple of items which are.  Just need to not overdue the rice and beans - which is my favorite part of the meal lol.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a question for anyone who can give a plausible answer.

This past week, as I mentioned, I gained back some of what I'd lost.  The problem is, it's 2 pounds.  How on earth is it possible to gain back that much in a week?  I track everything I eat, and haven't gone over my point allotment for the week.  Let alone, 2 pounds equals over 7000 calories, which would mean I ate over 1000 extras a day in order to have this happen.  Which, I most certainly did not!

Last night was the only real splurge in a long time, had dinner out with a friend but even counting that, my points weren't massively out of bounds as I'd eaten light earlier in the day to accommodate the meal.

I haz a confused!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a question for anyone who can give a plausible answer.

This past week, as I mentioned, I gained back some of what I'd lost.  The problem is, it's 2 pounds.  How on earth is it possible to gain back that much in a week?  I track everything I eat, and haven't gone over my point allotment for the week.  Let alone, 2 pounds equals over 7000 calories, which would mean I ate over 1000 extras a day in order to have this happen.  Which, I most certainly did not!

Last night was the only real splurge in a long time, had dinner out with a friend but even counting that, my points weren't massively out of bounds as I'd eaten light earlier in the day to accommodate the meal.

I haz a confused!
First question - is this based on weighing daily and then taking an average of the past 7 days to get your weight?  If not, I don't believe it either.  If this is based on an averaged weight, it could be due to water retention, constipation, and in both cases, not a "real" gain as your weight will change once either issue is resolved.

Weighing daily allows me to see the fluctuations I have in weight. From last Tuesday until I weighed and then did a 7 day average on Monday, my weights were: Tues: 175.8, Wed: 175.0, Thurs: 173.9 Fri: 173.5 Sat: 174.1, Sun: 173.7, Mon: 173.9.  I zip up and down though this was a great week where I basically had just a downward trend.  It's not always that way!  I can swing 2-3 pounds in a 2-3 day period.  I just keep on plan, and push the water and high fiber foods as needed ;-)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Pat.

I weigh daily.  It was increasing each day by a few ounces until this morning when I hit back at 216.  Last official weigh in, last Thursday was 213 and change.  It actually had gone down to around 211 at one point and then crept up again (probably due to throwing up for 2 days after the surgery OMG).

The only thing I did differently this past week or so was not eating as much fruit/veggies as normally because I couldn't really chew much of anything.  It was a lot of soft foods.  A lot of raisins lol but it took me a week to go through a box (technically, 11 portions in the box, and I was eating a handful or so daily).  I would think that alone would have kept me "regular" 

Anyway, not like I'm using it as some kind of excuse to slack off.  Now that the stitches are out, eating is easier so I'll be able to get back to eating healthier than recent days.

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks Pat.

I weigh daily.  It was increasing each day by a few ounces until this morning when I hit back at 216.  Last official weigh in, last Thursday was 213 and change.  It actually had gone down to around 211 at one point and then crept up again (probably due to throwing up for 2 days after the surgery OMG).

The only thing I did differently this past week or so was not eating as much fruit/veggies as normally because I couldn't really chew much of anything.  It was a lot of soft foods.  A lot of raisins lol but it took me a week to go through a box (technically, 11 portions in the box, and I was eating a handful or so daily).  I would think that alone would have kept me "regular" 

Anyway, not like I'm using it as some kind of excuse to slack off.  Now that the stitches are out, eating is easier so I'll be able to get back to eating healthier than recent days.
Honestly, shifting the proportion of carbs to proteins etc would cause me to gain, just because that's how my body now works.  I suspect as you get back to eating the way you had been eating, you will see this come off fairly quickly :)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well done to all you losers :clap:

I went away for the weekend to my Neices 21st birthday. I ate SUGAR SUGAR SUGAR and threw some wheat in there also. My tummy blew up like I was pregnant and I gained 1.6 kilos in 3 days. We got home on Monday and that night I was awake in bed for hours and then I threw up. I was sick all day Tuesday and I'm still not 100% and it's Thursday. I realise it could be a virus but I'm happy to blame sugar and wheat. It's a good deterrent for me to not do that again. My weight is back down but that's a hell of a way to lose it.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, sorry I didn't check in before. Well done all losers!!!! Pat, I almost teared up at your description of seeing your friend in her shop! I hope that this time next year I can say the same thing. For now, 40 pounds hasn't meant anything in terms of visible progress! You should be so proud.

I had another "gain" this week - of 1.5 pounds. BUT, I don't believe it. I stayed well under my goal Monday through Friday and had a bit of indulgence on the weekend because it was my friend's bachelorette party Saturday night and spent time with another friend going to a festival and theme park Sunday, but nothing too crazy. I am pretty sure it was water weight due to the pain I was having in my feet, calves, and back from dancing/standing fro 4-5 hours Saturday night, then walking around for 10+ hours Sunday. At over 300 pounds, that kind of activity takes its toll!

Anyway, I woke up yesterday morning and I was back down (on my home scale) to the weight I was Saturday morning, about 2 pounds lower than the previous week. If only my weight loss group met on Tuesdays instead of Mondays!
 SO, it was kinda depressing to record an official "gain" AGAIN for the 2nd week, but I know I will have a very impressive loss next week as a result - I'm expecting 5+ pounds, to include the 1.5 lbs of water weight, 2 lbs I lost last week, and hopefully another 2 pounds lost this week. 

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi all, sorry I didn't check in before. Well done all losers!!!! Pat, I almost teared up at your description of seeing your friend in her shop! I hope that this time next year I can say the same thing. For now, 40 pounds hasn't meant anything in terms of visible progress! You should be so proud.

I had another "gain" this week - of 1.5 pounds. BUT, I don't believe it. I stayed well under my goal Monday through Friday and had a bit of indulgence on the weekend because it was my friend's bachelorette party Saturday night and spent time with another friend going to a festival and theme park Sunday, but nothing too crazy. I am pretty sure it was water weight due to the pain I was having in my feet, calves, and back from dancing/standing fro 4-5 hours Saturday night, then walking around for 10+ hours Sunday. At over 300 pounds, that kind of activity takes its toll!

Anyway, I woke up yesterday morning and I was back down (on my home scale) to the weight I was Saturday morning, about 2 pounds lower than the previous week. If only my weight loss group met on Tuesdays instead of Mondays!
 SO, it was kinda depressing to record an official "gain" AGAIN for the 2nd week, but I know I will have a very impressive loss next week as a result - I'm expecting 5+ pounds, to include the 1.5 lbs of water weight, 2 lbs I lost last week, and hopefully another 2 pounds lost this week. 

You will get there, steady as you go.  I remember well what it felt like at 368, any walking (dancing!  I'm so impressed...great exercise :) ) was taxing to say the least.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a tiny loss week - but got under the 174's which I like.  New weight by average is 173.64, for a loss this past week of .63 of a pound.  33.64 pounds to goal.  Saw a friend I've had from my RN days back east.  Realized we are about the same height, and she looks great.  Not an extra ounce anywhere - and weighs 5 pounds more than my goal weight.  I'm beginning to wonder if I want to go to 140.
I can see my sternum and am beginning to feel boney in some places (the first day I saw my collarbone again was a bit startling..lol).

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Pat & Tammat! Pat, the loss comes slower now that you're small but I'm happy you saw a loss! Hopefully you can figure out what the best weight for you will be - maybe you'll want to add some muscle, eh?? Hehe.

I had a huge loss, 5.5 pounds! All that means to me is that last week's gain really was water weight. However, I'm still very proud of my loss as I worked hard this week. I lowered my calorie goal from 2260 to 2000, and began making smoothies in the morning that come in shy of 300 calories, so it's been much better for sticking to my calorie goal. I've come in around 1500 calories several times - that would never happen ordinarily! 

I hit another 10-lb milestone - 40 pounds! I'm 41.75 pounds down in 20 weeks - just a hair over 2 lbs a week. That's the rate I'm going for right now, so I'm happy.

Good luck this week everyone!!!!

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I just discovered this part of the forum & would love to join in :)

irinasak

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations to all of you. I am sort of maintaining - losing one week, gaining the next. I am eating emotionally these days, I'm not even craving for something in particular, I just want to eat. A month ago my aunt was diagnosed with acute leukemia, and I think my father might have Alzheimer or a form of something that affects his short term memory (not diagnosed yet).

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats to all losers, especially ParsleySage!  What a great week you had 

Welcome to rlavach!  Happy to have you with us.

Irina, I'm on the same boat.  I go up and down the last month or so.  Don't know if it's related to aging/slower metabolism or what.  My last weigh in was way more than was possible to gain in a week the way I'm eating.  So, it must have been salt/water weight or something because today's weigh in I'm not only less than last week but also, less than the week prior.  And that with a Starburst binge on Halloween LOL.

I'm wondering if my new scale is off - although it didn't seem to be.  Whatever the case, the trend is still going down.  I'm hoping to be at 200 or less by end December.  My high, was 230.5.  So far, as of this morning I've lost just over 19 pounds.  Making it close to 30 by December would be AWESOME.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning from Australia :wavey:
I didn't have a good week. I have been fatigued and I have binged on sugar a couple of times. I seriously do not know why. Well I do actually it tastes delicious but because I don't really eat it anymore it makes me feel sick a few hours later. Anyway I have managed to get off lightly with only a gain of 200 gms. It's a new week and I'm going to be good.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning from Australia

I didn't have a good week. I have been fatigued and I have binged on sugar a couple of times. I seriously do not know why. Well I do actually it tastes delicious but because I don't really eat it anymore it makes me feel sick a few hours later. Anyway I have managed to get off lightly with only a gain of 200 gms. It's a new week and I'm going to be good.
I am sorry, and boy can I commiserate.  I've had a tough week as well that has required some contemplation to figure out.  One suggestion I'd make (may not help I know) is to try to have some of the sweeter veggies instead of sugar when you get that feeling.  Once you've been off sugar as you have, I know you begin to taste, really taste the full sweetness of fruit and in some veggies like carrots.  The biggest thing is your decision to not just quit and return to bad habits :)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, and boy can I commiserate.  I've had a tough week as well that has required some contemplation to figure out.  One suggestion I'd make (may not help I know) is to try to have some of the sweeter veggies instead of sugar when you get that feeling.  Once you've been off sugar as you have, I know you begin to taste, really taste the full sweetness of fruit and in some veggies like carrots.  The biggest thing is your decision to not just quit and return to bad habits :)
Thanks Pat. I never thought of that. I'll give it a try. Yes pumpkin and sweet potato taste very sweet to me these days. I'm also trying to eat more during the day to avoid the afternoon hunger which leads to me eating too much for dinner and then wanting more.
Good luck everyone.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been a rough week.  I began to feel "hungry" even when my tummy was full, and I knew that I wasn't.  That kind of craving feeling tells me something is out of wack - I've eaten an unrealized carb out of when I usually do, or am getting in a lot more of them than I realize.  I got into a habit of soothing myself (stress levels are way up right now - 2 cats with cancer) with teas flavored with cinnamon, cardamom etc., and I know that if something tastes sweet, it's the same as eating candy (The Drs. Heller had some links in their book to research articles about how some will release insulin just in response to what tastes sweet..one reason I do not use artificial sweeteners).

I found myself needing an after-dinner snack when usually I'm not eating again until breakfast, after an early dinner.

My weight went up to the 174s and I began to get that "maybe I'm too close to goal, this won't work anymore, what am I going to do" mind chatter.

I cut out the lovely cinnamon teas, back to simple plain green tea, I made nummy, filling, on plan meals and waited it out.  I got back to normal by Saturday.  Thank God..no more cravings, back to get hungry, eat, be full, and done.

I had one new one day low this past weekend of 172.2, and thankfully did have a very tiny loss this week of .21 of a pound.  I will gratefully take it.

Most important "loss" of the week.  All the stinkin' thinkin' chatter that was going on in my head.  What I am doing does work for me, I have to just have faith.
Total left to goal is: 33.43 pounds.  Total now lost: 194.57 pounds.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been a rough week.  I began to feel "hungry" even when my tummy was full, and I knew that I wasn't.  That kind of craving feeling tells me something is out of wack - I've eaten an unrealized carb out of when I usually do, or am getting in a lot more of them than I realize.  I got into a habit of soothing myself (stress levels are way up right now - 2 cats with cancer) with teas flavored with cinnamon, cardamom etc., and I know that if something tastes sweet, it's the same as eating candy (The Drs. Heller had some links in their book to research articles about how some will release insulin just in response to what tastes sweet..one reason I do not use artificial sweeteners).

I found myself needing an after-dinner snack when usually I'm not eating again until breakfast, after an early dinner.

My weight went up to the 174s and I began to get that "maybe I'm too close to goal, this won't work anymore, what am I going to do" mind chatter.

I cut out the lovely cinnamon teas, back to simple plain green tea, I made nummy, filling, on plan meals and waited it out.  I got back to normal by Saturday.  Thank God..no more cravings, back to get hungry, eat, be full, and done.

I had one new one day low this past weekend of 172.2, and thankfully did have a very tiny loss this week of .21 of a pound.  I will gratefully take it.

Most important "loss" of the week.  All the stinkin' thinkin' chatter that was going on in my head.  What I am doing does work for me, I have to just have faith.

Total left to goal is: 33.43 pounds.  Total now lost: 194.57 pounds.
:clap: That certainly is a loss worth taking. You made it through and that must feel awesome. I know that chatter all too well. I am driven mad crazy by cravings. I've been experimenting with baking paleo treats. They use maple syrup or honey to sweeten. The sweetness sends me off on a binge and after reading your post I had a light bulb moment. it makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.