The Trouble Is, You Think You Have Time

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had a post going on over in the Health section, but I wanted to come here to remember my baby girl.

Midnight is my water lover. She always came running when the faucet came on because she wanted to taste the freshest water, and you had to guard your glass around her, lest she decide it was hers.

She was also a fighter, strong and independent: a spitfire who could be tender when she wanted to be. She'd wait until all the guests were gone, and then cuddle with me. Once, she even signaled her annoyance that the guests weren't leaving fast enough and slammed my bedroom door so that they'd get the point!

I'd already schedule for at-home euthanasia today at 11am. I'd worried that it was too early, that I was stealing time from her, but I wasn't. This morning, she was so weak, so limp and compliant when I picked her up...

That said, I promised her I'd take her outside today. What the hell, she didn't need to fear infection anymore. So I cradled her in my arms and carried her onto the balcony. She perked up a little, scanning everything below. And then she saw it; the big fountain in the middle of the courtyard. She'd probably watched it for the few weeks we'd lived her from my bedroom window, but now she could hear it, see it with no blinds, no screen.

And I felt her relax against me, go serene and still. I figure if she could have still purred, this would have been the moment. I stood there till my arms went numb, ignoring the phone inside, just holding her and trying not to cry too hard.

I'll cut out the unsavory bits. They don't help right now... you or me. Suffice it to say, she continued to decline.

We wound up in my bed for the last two hours of her life. In the end, she didn't want to be on my chest (though I regret not listening to the little voice in my head telling me to pull her onto it in the last few minutes... which I didn't know were the last few minutes).

The at-home euthanasia vet was running late. She called to let us know at 11:15 that she was on her way, and I had to sit up to take the call. I laid back down, went back to stroking Midnight's forehead, her cheek, telling her that I loved her, and it was ok to go, that I'll see her on the other side. I'd told her about the Rainbow Bridge and the Summer Lands... and that we would be together someday soon. I told her I loved her, then, now and always.

And she took her last breath, and was gone.

I cradled her body and wailed. I kept her on my chest, a tissue mopping up the dribbles of urine from her, and sobbed until even her stomach and chest felt they were going cold. Then I got her ready. The vet arrived a little before noon, to find me stroking Midnight still, but now laid on the dining room table on the towel she had come to me as a kitten in. I had closed her eyes, but they were slowly drifting open, as they do. We talked, and I showed her pictures as she did the fur clipping, the paw print, removed the IV...

Midnight is my first... My first pet, my first death of a pet. She was taken from me far too young, and even now, even as I clean up the things she's left, I'm listening for the patter of her paws. I expect her to be on the couch, looking up at me and giving me a slow blink.

I lost my baby girl today, and I don't think I will ever hear a fountain and not think of holding her ever again.

Attachments

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read of your loss, she is beautiful. You loved her and she you, no matter how long we have them it is never long enough, but she passed at home in the arms of the one whom she loved and who loved her, what a beautiful way to cross over the bridge. It is tough to lose them, whether it is your first or 100th, the heart breaks each time, the heavy feeling and sad dull feeling hits each time, but we trudge on, and slowly, very slowly we get a bit better each day, and look back with thoughts of love and great memories, not sadness and tears, and the heart heals again, not as whole as it once was, but it heals.

Perhaps when the time is right you will take in another who needs your love, not as a replacement but as another in need who will love you and you it.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful heartfelt tribute to Midnight. :redheartpump::hearthrob::redheartpump: I'm in tears, your words have so perfectly conveyed your love for each other. Taking her outside to finally see the fountain she'd been hearing for so long was a wonderful, loving thing to do. I'd be like you - never able to hear a fountain again without thinking of my lost baby. Still, at some point, I hope that fountains become a source of comfort to you - a way to reconnect with Midnight, remembering her feel and essence once more and knowing that in some ways she has never left you.

If I were a cat and my time was coming near, I can not imagine a better way to spend my last minutes than being close to the human who has loved me and taken such good care of me. Although it's so hard for us to hold our cats when they breathe their last, for them it is a great comfort to do so in our arms. You set her off on her journey with such tenderness, telling her how much you loved her and what awaited her. (Oh, Jeez. Here come the waterworks again). Your tribute is simply so lovely - it deeply touched my heart.

I'm so sorry for the grief you are feeling now - I've been there and the pain cuts deep into our very being. There are things that help, though. It helps to write - write your feelings and write your memories and do it until you have no more words. I've found that going back to read what I wrote helps me feel reconnected to my dearly loved cats who have moved on and left me behind. Going over photographs can help as well, although for many it takes some time before they can do so. There is no right or wrong with grieving.

One thing that seems to help everyone who does it is to create a place in honor of the rainbow bridge kitty. This can be as formal as a shrine or simply a collection of a few toys and photographs.

Once again, I am so very sorry for your loss.

RIP Midnight. You were deeply loved. :rbheart: :angel: :rbheart:

4.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am crying too, grief is so fresh and near the surface no matter how many years go by. But mainly my tears were tears of happiness, that your sweet little girl died at home, surrounded by your love and voice, that you helped her through her end, you were there. I have a feeling that the vet was detained by a stronger power than we will ever know, that precious Midnight wanted it this way, and that is the way it was.....Although witnessing the death of someone you love so much is so very hard, somehow you were given the strength to do so, and you followed through so well. I know the last moments are not something we ever want to witness, much less remember, but to be there to give support and most importantly your love is the most priceless gift you could have given her.
It is hard for them to go, only matched by how hard it is to let them leave us. She took a piece of your heart when she left, but she left behind a piece of hers, which along with your beautiful memories of happier times will bring you comfort and eventually happiness once more. She gave you a legacy of love, she taught you what true love really is. The bond you have with her can never be taken, it is spiritual, so eternal. She shared your life's journey for a little while, and now her new journey takes her on a separate path. But this path will always parallel yours, she will always be near until you meet once more at the end of your own journey.
Remember though, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go, don't hold your pain and grief too long into the future. She only wants happiness and sunshine for the future of the one she loves above all else, because she is so thankful for all the happiness and love you gave her while she was on this earth. She wants you to remember taking her out to look at her beloved fountain, how happy these last moments made her, how soothing.
Don't regret anything in those last moments, it is in the past and unchangeable.It only brings heartache to dwell on something we can't change, and it brings on more pain to an already broken herat. .
Celebrate having her in your life, rather than mourning the loss, it would have been a far greater loss to have never known her at all.
Grieve all you need to, take as long as you have to. Know we are here for you and understand your pain. The pain is as individual as we are, but we are tied together by our love for these precious little ones, and the grieving we go through when they are gone. Time is the only thing that helps, it helps to soften the sharp edges of grief, and allows the happier memories to come once more to the foremost of our minds. You will always have the beautiful memory of that fountain, and what it meant to you both.
My heart goes out to you, please accept my condolences and the hugs I send your way, take care of yourself.......RIP precious Midnight, you will never be forgotten and will always have a place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again, goodnight, sleep tight, little princess!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But mainly my tears were tears of happiness, that your sweet little girl died at home, surrounded by your love and voice, that you helped her through her end, you were there. I have a feeling that the vet was detained by a stronger power than we will ever know, that precious Midnight wanted it this way, and that is the way it was...
What beautiful words! :bawling:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys, so so much. TCS was a big help while I was looking for a way to save her, and now i'm coming here for comfort and for more advice.

The plan, for now, is to grieve her in my own way. The fountain is already giving me a kind of peaceful comfort, but I found myself angry at the weather today. It was sunny Saturday, sunny today, but overcast yesterday when I took her outside. I think she would have liked to see the sun again.

I think Di And Bob is right... something kept the vet longer to get to us than needed, and something prompted her to let go and spiral downwards as quickly as she did that morning. We had a few, precious, sweet moments together, and she died with enough time for me to hold her without the guilt of keeping the vet longer than needed.

Margd has the right of it... I've been writing a lot, lately, in my journal. Memories, musings, flipping through pictures.

I'm also going to turn to what I know best, and what has been bothering me most. I'm going to rehash the last two weeks of her life and put it into two categories. There will be my memories, my sentimentality, and those will go in a place just for her. Then, there will be my need to find out what happened, and to have justice. I plan on writing out all of the events as clinically as I can, supported by her vet records, and submit them to the vets and the state board. The more I research, the more support I have that she could have had a chance, and that substandard care contributed to her death.

Lastly, I'll be leaning on the feral forum for a bit. My mom (although allergic to cats) has gathered herself quite the little colony, and now that I have a place where I've played a pet deposit and can help convalesce them after their surgery, it's time to get them, one by one, in for fixing. The colony matriarch, who's adopted my mom as her human (and was previously owned before being turned out into the wild), is entirely too clever by far and dodges the trap every time.

Every creak on the linoleum, every rustle of cloth, every dark shadow moving in the night, I think it's her. Maybe, in some way, it is. Maybe that ghost of a memory of her leaping onto the bed while I clutch her collar, her tribble toy, a packet of her fur, is her coming back to me to say she's not leaving me just yet, either. For now, that's ok by me

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So very sorry for your loss of Midnight. Not much else in our lives is harder on us than the loss of a beloved pet. They go to heaven and wait for us in a perfect condition. I believe Midnight's last act of love for you was passing naturally before the vet arrived to spare you the guilt that often comes with the decision to euthanize. I wish for peace to fill your heart.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Midnight, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on your mama's heat forever.

Such a beautiful goodbye to her. But it isn't truly goodbye, you know. This is what I have learned in my years on this old ball of mud, love never, ever dies. It changes form and continues on. Those we love never leave us, although OH, how we long for their physical presence. Yet...yet...the love remains. My heart reaches out and hugs yours.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am truly sorry for your loss of your precious Midnight! Such a beautiful kitty!
Your tribute to her was quite beautiful , you have me in tears. She was obviously so very loved and treasured.
I know she loved you just as much. Just know how happy you made her just by loving her. That is all any kitty really wants , just to be loved and wanted. You made sure that Midnight had all your love and so much more.
She passed happy at home with the one she loved so very much. No kitty could ask for more. She will always be with you , safely tucked in your heart. I hope you can one day remember your sweet Midnight with more smiles than tears. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
RIP Sweet Midnight!
Please bring comfort to the one who misses you so very much!
Always watch over your loved one !

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have quite a few beautiful black cats and would feel the same if I lost one . ( Who knows? They could be Midnight's relatives ! ) They are very brave when the end comes and they pass into the next life .
Midnight was a lucky cat . All the best to you ...
:bigeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One year. For a time, I counted the weeks. When they became too many, I just knew that the 12th of the month marked another without her. Now, I can measure the time in years. Today marks the first.

I still cry, but not every day as I did once. I still stare at the same fountain and remember holding her. Sometimes, that memory brings peace. Other times, it brings tears. It always reminds me of her absence.

I can't remember what she sounded like in this apartment, any more. She lived here less than two months. But there are times I drive past apartments we shared before, and I want to pull in and run to our old home. I know exactly where she would be there.

Some days, it helps to imagine what it's like over the bridge for her. Where would she be wandering, what would she be doing? For the longest time, I pictured her wandering a dark forest, laying down by a brook to listen as it babbled at her. Lately, I've been picturing her on the bed we had at one apartment, gazing through the open blinds, and watching birds flit around, or the rain slide from the sky and onto the expanse of green that we treasured. Sometimes, she walks onto the balcony without me, and looks to my chair, and I want nothing more than to be in that chair so she can leap into my lap.

Some day, bugaboo. I hope the year passed more quickly for you than it did for me. I love you. Then, Now, and Always.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so hard to go on without them.... but we must. We are left behind to carry on, to let them live on through the love we will always carry for them, to treasure that love and help it to grow.
Time will continue to soften our grief, our memories will continue to bring comfort and longing. Although it hurts so bad when they leave us, to have never known that love in our lives would have been unforgivable. Concentrate on what they brought to our lives, not the grief, but the love, the good. Let your memories wander, cling to the pleasant, and let the bittersweet feelings flood your soul. The good will eventually take over the bad, the good are stronger and much more numerous. The tears will eventually change to tears of joy because you shared such a love and realize you never lost it, it is a part of you,you always had it after all.....

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Midnight. We lost our dear Princess on Sunday night and it still feels so fresh. How can we ever feel ready to say goodbye? One thing should provide comfort to both of us: we were there till the end. Death can be so ugly and scary, but when we are with them to ease them across the Rainbow Bridge, it makes it a little less fridghtening.

You are brave and strong and someday Midnight and you will be reunited again. She knows how much you loved her.