The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive for today is all the wonderfulmposts I have seen here. As always, lovely thoughts, pictures and people. Another pleasure filled time of day for me. Thank you everyone for sharing!
Alice catlady Alice catlady I laughed at your description of the kitty voices. Almost as though they exchanged voices. Big cat, little meow, Little cat, big howl! :flail:I do love kitties. I can’t imagine how humans ever got along without them. Our ancestors were so smart to take the cats aboard ship. I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean and I saw that many people still sail with cats. As a young girl I did worry about the cats going to sea. I saw many Siamese cats on boats and, knowing the breed, I wondered how a person would manage such a cat if there was a problem. Can you imagine trying to convince a Siamese to stop chasing a rope, let go of a sail or climb down off the mast? I suppose it would be trial and error if kitty was new to ships. I’m sure they would grow quite wise after a voyage or two! Perhaps the sailors know something about preparing the cat for the trip that I know nothing about. I guess that our ancestors bred the cats for travel. Certainly a litter born on the sea would have their sea legs!
I am fascinated by the woman of the grave with the Viking ship. Her story must be a grand one. Buried with ship and cat wagon! Perhaps she had some ships cats herself! I would love seeing that museum. The Vikings seemed to know how to do everything for themselves and did it all while on the move. We can learn so much from the c
I am so glad your older boy has decided the kittens are worth watching for amusement. It is hard for any cat to resist watching anything play. Maybe this will be the key to acceptance. I know that as the top old cat he wants to maintain his position with the other cats but it is very hard to resist smiling at a kitten. I bet he is accepting them more than you know. He just doesn’t want anyone to see that and risk being viewed as a big softie. It might be a blow to his dignity. ;)

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a wonderful, steady rain here throughout the entire overnight hours. The sound of the rain was very soothing and things became exciting when the steady rain increased to heavy downpours, with lightning and gusts of wind! The next thing I knew, the electricity went down with one especially strong gust! :storm:

Positively, we received a good amount of rain that we really do need and the electricity was restored in about an hour! I am very often amazed and grateful for those who work to get electricity up and running so quickly, very awesome indeed.:):rock:

Wishing a wonderful day to all.:daisy: :bluebutterfly: :daisy: :bluebutterfly: :daisy:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad for you, R raysmyheart ! Wishing we could get a good rain here. I also am grateful for the techs who keep us all up and running. Saw a great doc the other night on the Big Creek Project in our Sierras here in CA -- this was a mega-project built at the turn of the 20th century to provide hydroelectric power to L.A. and environs. My dad was DWP and he went up there pretty frequently. It became a favorite place of his, and we weren't vacation-taking people, but when we did go somewhere, it was usually up there. VERY beautiful country. Things have changed a fair bit up there over the years, but the Big Creek is still powering us down here in la-la land.
IMG_0895.JPG

Up in the big country -- my dad would say, "Now THOSE are mountains!"

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
@tarasgirl, gotta disagree. Look how many US folks are here on this site, like me, in the trenches, helping owners even when it's sad and hard to do sometimes. Paying it forward? Maybe but also maybe just because it's the right thing to do and it needs to be done.
Look how many professional as well as volunteer firefighters are getting pummeled by fires here stateside but they are out there, along with Department of Transportation teams, police, the Red Cross, I just know I'm missing a couple organizations, and neighboring communities who step up with food, corrals and transport for animals and feed. About five-six years ago Montana ranchers provided hay !!as well as cattle!! to South Dakota ranchers when an early blizzard decimated their herds. Same thing when the hurricanes hammered Texas et al. When tornadoes rip communities apart, the outpouring of help from all over the United States is incredible and awe-inspiring. And many of these aren't part of formal organizations, they might be retirees who specifically and deliberately arrange their own lives so they can be there to help. Or young guys in a boat rescuing small animals from a flooded area. People on horseback riding through flooded areas checking for anyone and/or anything in need of help, --nobody told them to, they simply did it.
People who help stranded flashflood victims.
There are the people who volunteer their time and vehicles including planes to transport cats and dogs to areas where they're more likely to be adopted. And then there's me again, who will walk down my street and pick up trash when I see it.
This is a great country that is cram-packed full of fantastic people who don't stop to think about it when there's a need. They just get it done. --30--
:)

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@tarasgirl, gotta disagree. Look how many US folks are here on this site, like me, in the trenches, helping owners even when it's sad and hard to do sometimes. Paying it forward? Maybe but also maybe just because it's the right thing to do and it needs to be done.
Look how many professional as well as volunteer firefighters are getting pummeled by fires here stateside but they are out there, along with Department of Transportation teams, police, the Red Cross, I just know I'm missing a couple organizations, and neighboring communities who step up with food, corrals and transport for animals and feed. About five-six years ago Montana ranchers provided hay !!as well as cattle!! to South Dakota ranchers when an early blizzard decimated their herds. Same thing when the hurricanes hammered Texas et al. When tornadoes rip communities apart, the outpouring of help from all over the United States is incredible and awe-inspiring. And many of these aren't part of formal organizations, they might be retirees who specifically and deliberately arrange their own lives so they can be there to help. Or young guys in a boat rescuing small animals from a flooded area. People on horseback riding through flooded areas checking for anyone and/or anything in need of help, --nobody told them to, they simply did it.
People who help stranded flashflood victims.
There are the people who volunteer their time and vehicles including planes to transport cats and dogs to areas where they're more likely to be adopted. And then there's me again, who will walk down my street and pick up trash when I see it.
This is a great country that is cram-packed full of fantastic people who don't stop to think about it when there's a need. They just get it done. --30--
No disagreement there, Furballsmom Furballsmom ! I'm not referring to the heroes, everyday and otherwise, or the kind, compassionate, caring, giving, generous people. It's all those others I'm talking about. And there are a lot of them.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 -- I enjoyed the link to the Freddie Mercury quote on the Cat Soul thread. The kittens figurine I posted has a foil sticker with "Made in Taiwan" on the bottom with no other markings. The figurine is in perfect condition but the foil sticker not so much.

The rain here ceased last night or early this morning. Zoe and Taz got to go out on supervised visits this morning and when I got home. The temperature for the next few days in Eastern Ontario looks more like seasonal normal where the beginning of the month was 10 degrees Celsius above.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 -- I enjoyed the link to the Freddie Mercury quote on the Cat Soul thread. The kittens figurine I posted has a foil sticker with "Made in Taiwan" on the bottom with no other markings. The figurine is in perfect condition but the foil sticker not so much.

The rain here ceased last night or early this morning. Zoe and Taz got to go out on supervised visits this morning and when I got home. The temperature for the next few days in Eastern Ontario looks more like seasonal normal where the beginning of the month was 10 degrees Celsius above.
I know! I'd heard he loved cats but didn't know much about that because I'm not into rock music and don't know anything about them. But I praise anyone who loves cats and isn't shy about saying so! (Not quite sure, though, about the content there. After I posted it, it occurred to me -- I'll leave it to mods to remove it if it is objectionable, and understand if it is.)

So, your kitten is not Lenox, but is very beautiful!

Enjoy your weather and be glad you are not here in la-la land, a/k/a Saunaland! where I can PAWSitively say I'm glad it's like this and not like it was 2 weeks ago.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Northern New York and southern Ontario have been in SaunaLand Mode the whole month of July.

Shane Kent Shane Kent - It's just delightful to look at the seven day forecast and see no temperatures even as high as 80º - and to see three more days of rain in the offing.

Old-time gardeners know that no "commercial" water source can ever live up to rainwater, and after just a few inches these last four days, vast expanses of lawn have been renewed from gold to green in a very short time. The younger trees - watered daily through the long drought - have perked up considerably, and the shrubs and bushes which form the border between formal and naturalised woodland are boasting the new growth shoots I should have seen some six weeks ago. It's funny how much brighter is one's outlook when the landscape is green again!

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alice catlady Alice catlady - You're very fortunate to have seen them; I've seen only the museum (i.e. the Gol Stave Church, moved to its new site, since I've been only to Oslo in Norway) - but while Norway might not have "beautiful" castles and buildings, you have (along with the British Isles) the earliest permanent settlements of Humankind, crowned by the longhouse, signifying the moment in the Neolithic Period when cats first convinced Humans to contrive permanent structures, so the cats could domesticate them.
You`ve been to Norway? Did you have a good time? :)

Don`t get me wrong, I do love our history and heritage. I`m guessing you went to Folkemuseet? That`s a really cool place. :) What I was getting at is that our history is a bit different from a lot of other European countries. In the last 1000 years we went from Vikings, to hundreds of years without independence, and mainly farmers and fishermen trying to make a living. With the king in a different country, building the big impressiv building wasn`t a priority. I`m going on a trip to Prague again soon, and I just love the bridges, the castle and narrow streets. Same with places like Paris, Rome and Salzburg. We don`t really have that. But different doesn`t mean less. I`m a teacher in Norwegian language and history, so I do love our heritage. From the Vikings, to the farmers, to Ibsen and fairytales. :) I grew up with a viking grave on our land, so I had me geek on from an early age. :lol:I just think some people are surprised with Norway today being a rich country, that we have a history that is somewhat different. :)

Fun fact, the term forrest cat is what people used to describe cats with long fur. Skogkatt in Norwegian. So that`s where the NFC got it`s name.

Alice catlady Alice catlady -- 8 kg. is a fairly sizeable cat! Our beloved King Nicolas I weighed 22 lbs. in his prime, which works out to a bit more than 8 kg. But our beloved Sammi angel was an 8 kg. Maine Coon mancat, and quite hefty indeed.
It was all I could do to pick either of them up! not because of their weight, but because, as with your Pan, there was resistance involved. :nono:

Yes, the Viking buildings and ships are so beautiful! As for the religious aspect, my European ancestors came from Ireland, and they basically did similar things in terms of trying to hold on to their older beliefs, because they were forced into Christianity, of course, by people who called them "pagans" and thought they had a better way, when the Irish had had a very high culture for a very long time , :sigh: but the invaders wanted the land, so, as with every other place where this occurred, they got the Bible and the invaders got the land.
Oh yes, he`s a big boy. I`m guessing our other male is about the same weight, but Pan looks bigger. He has the really long legs and back, and he likes his food. The first time the vet saw him he asked what breed he was, because of the size. But he`s just a big housecat. I`m glad to hear I`m not the only one with a big cat who will fight if lifted. :lol: Pan is really protective of my hubby when he is outside, to the point that he will pick a fight with dogs walking by. So my other half has some scares from having to pick Pan up and carry him away. He is also a nightmare to take to the vet. Both picking him up and getting him into the carrier (he will fight), in the car (he will put his paw out of the carrier and hit anything, while making his mouse sounds), at the vet`s (he was the first cat to bite our 60 year old vet.) and on the way back. When I had him neutered he was so angry the vet had a hard time getting him to sleep. When he woke up after the fact, all he wanted to do was eat wet food and fall asleep in it, or sleep on and pee on me. Other than all that he`s a sweet guy. Unless we try to lift him, take him to the vet or my hubby walkes around outside. :lol:

Ah, I used to live in Ireland, it`s a beautiful country! And yes, Ireland and Norway has some historical ties and similarities. In our case it was a Norwegian king (Olav the holy) who had been growing up in England, that made the country Christian. But it was done by force here too, and you can see the religions side by side in a lot of the old buildings. Or in crosses with runes or churches with dragon heads.

My positive for today is all the wonderfulmposts I have seen here. As always, lovely thoughts, pictures and people. Another pleasure filled time of day for me. Thank you everyone for sharing!
Alice catlady Alice catlady I laughed at your description of the kitty voices. Almost as though they exchanged voices. Big cat, little meow, Little cat, big howl! :flail:I do love kitties. I can’t imagine how humans ever got along without them. Our ancestors were so smart to take the cats aboard ship. I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean and I saw that many people still sail with cats. As a young girl I did worry about the cats going to sea. I saw many Siamese cats on boats and, knowing the breed, I wondered how a person would manage such a cat if there was a problem. Can you imagine trying to convince a Siamese to stop chasing a rope, let go of a sail or climb down off the mast? I suppose it would be trial and error if kitty was new to ships. I’m sure they would grow quite wise after a voyage or two! Perhaps the sailors know something about preparing the cat for the trip that I know nothing about. I guess that our ancestors bred the cats for travel. Certainly a litter born on the sea would have their sea legs!
I am fascinated by the woman of the grave with the Viking ship. Her story must be a grand one. Buried with ship and cat wagon! Perhaps she had some ships cats herself! I would love seeing that museum. The Vikings seemed to know how to do everything for themselves and did it all while on the move. We can learn so much from the c
I am so glad your older boy has decided the kittens are worth watching for amusement. It is hard for any cat to resist watching anything play. Maybe this will be the key to acceptance. I know that as the top old cat he wants to maintain his position with the other cats but it is very hard to resist smiling at a kitten. I bet he is accepting them more than you know. He just doesn’t want anyone to see that and risk being viewed as a big softie. It might be a blow to his dignity. ;)
Yes, the voice swap is so much fun! :lol: Pan will mostly run around saying Mmmmmmmmh, while Medusa will roar like a little lion. And that`s amazing! I think I would go into meltdown if I had to bring my cats on a boat. :D But it just goes to show you, cats are amazing, smart animals, and they will figure things out. Even getting sea legs! And it was a smart way, historically, to keep rats out.

I agress! This is her ship:

B12DB9CB-4E06-4589-A4A3-A286C39C35C8.jpeg

It`s no small boat. They do not know a lot about the woman, but she was probably around 70-80 years old. They also found a younger woman in the grave, and some DNA testing showes that she might not be European. So she might have been someone that had to follow her mistress in death. There has been some theories about the identity of the older woman, maybe a queen or high priestess. We don`t know. But what we do know is that women had a lot more power before christianity. A viking woman was the ruler of the house, and used to wear the key in her belt to show this. And it is kind of cool that the most important viking grave we have found was that of a woman. :)

I used to study viking history and society in college, so don`t get me started. I might not stop!:lol: Vikings were raiders and pirates, but they were also a lot more. And I agree, they were good a figuring things out on their own, but also at learning and borrowing from others. The ship from the grave shows part of what made they what they were, ships that could cross oceans, but they were also shallow enough to sail up rivers, light enough that they could pick them up and carry them over land. So there really was no stopping them.

I hope you are right! :D Nala is either really stupid or really brave. She will run towards Pan, and he`s not loving it. He will walk away, while she cries. We seem to have two cats that fail to understand their size. :tongue: But funny thing, and this is my positive, he`ll come back when they are not looking. And he will lay down, in a bush, watching them play. Eyes half closed, relaxed. He seems to really like watching them trying to climb trees, on a leash, because most of the time they will just face plant into the trunk, with their little paws out to sides like a flying squirrel. :lol: Any time they do that, he is there. :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don`t get me wrong, I do love our history and heritage. I`m guessing you went to Folkemuseet? That`s a really cool place. :) What I was getting at is that our history is a bit different from a lot of other European countries. In the last 1000 years we went from Vikings, to hundreds of years without independence, and mainly farmers and fishermen trying to make a living.

Alice catlady Alice catlady - Yes - very much like America is currently: farmers and fishermen trying to make a living, but no King. Perhaps soon.

;)

I visited a client in Oslo, and had the chance to tour the museum - truly a lovely place.

Big cats don't typically seem to like being lifted and carried. My little Bob:

bobscottsmall.jpg

(only a few grams over 16 kilos) says, "if you pick me up, it had better be to carry me to the food bowl!"

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alice catlady Alice catlady - Yes - very much like America is currently: farmers and fishermen trying to make a living, but no King. Perhaps soon.

;)

I visited a client in Oslo, and had the chance to tour the museum - truly a lovely place.

Big cats don't typically seem to like being lifted and carried. My little Bob:

View attachment 244594

(only a few grams over 16 kilos) says, "if you pick me up, it had better be to carry me to the food bowl!"
I went to the folkmuseum with my 10th graders once. After seeing some of the houses and hearing the number of kids a family could have, they were kind of fraked out. Because what they wanted to know was with parents and kids sleeping in the same room, and even the same bed, how on earth could the parents make more babies? Seeing that the kids were right there in the bedroom with them? Let’s just say the answer did not go down well with my poor students. :lol: But I’m glad to hear you had a good time. If you ever come back you should go to the Viking ship museum, and see the wagon. It’s really nice. :)

And we just ended up getting ourself a new king from another country. Hello there, do you want to come here and be our king? It worked for us. When we finally got our independence back, the logical thing to do is to go out and get a foreign king. Maybe that would work for America too? :lol:

Hahaha, If Bob was any closer, I’m sure Nala would love to meet him. She seems to like running towards big cats. :lol: I really hope my kittens don’t grow out of their love for being carried, so I’m banking on it being a big cat-thing. ;)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alice catlady Alice catlady - Bob's only the second 15+ kg cat I've had in more than sixty years of Cat Having, and the other - Big Red, a Maine Coon Cat - was exactly the same. 1.) "Don't carry me around like a teddy bear," and 2.) "do NOT forget to wake me for dinner!"

Extra-wet pawsitive: a surprise thunderstorm racing across Lake Erie has just descended on the south shore of Lake Ontario, and is noisily dropping more of Mother Nature's Miracle here!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don`t get me wrong, I do love our history and heritage. I`m guessing you went to Folkemuseet? That`s a really cool place. :) What I was getting at is that our history is a bit different from a lot of other European countries. In the last 1000 years we went from Vikings, to hundreds of years without independence, and mainly farmers and fishermen trying to make a living. With the king in a different country, building the big impressiv building wasn`t a priority. I`m going on a trip to Prague again soon, and I just love the bridges, the castle and narrow streets. Same with places like Paris, Rome and Salzburg. We don`t really have that. But different doesn`t mean less. I`m a teacher in Norwegian language and history, so I do love our heritage. From the Vikings, to the farmers, to Ibsen and fairytales. :) I grew up with a viking grave on our land, so I had me geek on from an early age. :lol:I just think some people are surprised with Norway today being a rich country, that we have a history that is somewhat different. :)

Fun fact, the term forrest cat is what people used to describe cats with long fur. Skogkatt in Norwegian. So that`s where the NFC got it`s name.

Oh yes, he`s a big boy. I`m guessing our other male is about the same weight, but Pan looks bigger. He has the really long legs and back, and he likes his food. The first time the vet saw him he asked what breed he was, because of the size. But he`s just a big housecat. I`m glad to hear I`m not the only one with a big cat who will fight if lifted. :lol: Pan is really protective of my hubby when he is outside, to the point that he will pick a fight with dogs walking by. So my other half has some scares from having to pick Pan up and carry him away. He is also a nightmare to take to the vet. Both picking him up and getting him into the carrier (he will fight), in the car (he will put his paw out of the carrier and hit anything, while making his mouse sounds), at the vet`s (he was the first cat to bite our 60 year old vet.) and on the way back. When I had him neutered he was so angry the vet had a hard time getting him to sleep. When he woke up after the fact, all he wanted to do was eat wet food and fall asleep in it, or sleep on and pee on me. Other than all that he`s a sweet guy. Unless we try to lift him, take him to the vet or my hubby walkes around outside. :lol:

Ah, I used to live in Ireland, it`s a beautiful country! And yes, Ireland and Norway has some historical ties and similarities. In our case it was a Norwegian king (Olav the holy) who had been growing up in England, that made the country Christian. But it was done by force here too, and you can see the religions side by side in a lot of the old buildings. Or in crosses with runes or churches with dragon heads.

Yes, the voice swap is so much fun! :lol: Pan will mostly run around saying Mmmmmmmmh, while Medusa will roar like a little lion. And that`s amazing! I think I would go into meltdown if I had to bring my cats on a boat. :D But it just goes to show you, cats are amazing, smart animals, and they will figure things out. Even getting sea legs! And it was a smart way, historically, to keep rats out.

I agress! This is her ship:

View attachment 244583

It`s no small boat. They do not know a lot about the woman, but she was probably around 70-80 years old. They also found a younger woman in the grave, and some DNA testing showes that she might not be European. So she might have been someone that had to follow her mistress in death. There has been some theories about the identity of the older woman, maybe a queen or high priestess. We don`t know. But what we do know is that women had a lot more power before christianity. A viking woman was the ruler of the house, and used to wear the key in her belt to show this. And it is kind of cool that the most important viking grave we have found was that of a woman. :)

I used to study viking history and society in college, so don`t get me started. I might not stop!:lol: Vikings were raiders and pirates, but they were also a lot more. And I agree, they were good a figuring things out on their own, but also at learning and borrowing from others. The ship from the grave shows part of what made they what they were, ships that could cross oceans, but they were also shallow enough to sail up rivers, light enough that they could pick them up and carry them over land. So there really was no stopping them.

I hope you are right! :D Nala is either really stupid or really brave. She will run towards Pan, and he`s not loving it. He will walk away, while she cries. We seem to have two cats that fail to understand their size. :tongue: But funny thing, and this is my positive, he`ll come back when they are not looking. And he will lay down, in a bush, watching them play. Eyes half closed, relaxed. He seems to really like watching them trying to climb trees, on a leash, because most of the time they will just face plant into the trunk, with their little paws out to sides like a flying squirrel. :lol: Any time they do that, he is there. :)
That ship, and other Viking builds, takes my breath away. They are so beautiful! and so well designed. They say they came to these shores a long time ago. I wonder if the younger woman with her was an Indigenous woman. Maybe they can tell? I've read that there have been people with European type structure/features found in Asia, too, from a long time ago. Some day they may be able to say definitively, once and for all, that many if not most people travelled a lot to trade and that actually, we really ARE all one. The differences are superficial, physically, and then there are cultural/religious/ideological differences. But we are not as different as some want us to be. CATS, actually, know better. They are PAWSitive that, as long as people are compassionate, kind, gentle, generous and caring, they're okay. As for Ireland, it is said the original inhabitants were brown people, but that the Vikings came there, which is where the red-headed, pale-skinned genes come from. My family always said our people were black Irish. But again, my CATS do not care. They are PAWSitive they love me, because I love them.

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alice catlady Alice catlady - Bob's only the second 15+ kg cat I've had in more than sixty years of Cat Having, and the other - Big Red, a Maine Coon Cat - was exactly the same. 1.) "Don't carry me around like a teddy bear," and 2.) "do NOT forget to wake me for dinner!"

Extra-wet pawsitive: a surprise thunderstorm racing across Lake Erie has just descended on the south shore of Lake Ontario, and is noisily dropping more of Mother Nature's Miracle here!
Hahahaha, I love it! :lol: Most of the cats I’ve had has not been to crazy about being carried. But it’s not liking it, and then there is Pan. He is on a whole new level. He is also one of the bigger ones I’ve had, so I’m hoping it’s a size thing. :D

That ship, and other Viking builds, takes my breath away. They are so beautiful! and so well designed. They say they came to these shores a long time ago. I wonder if the younger woman with her was an Indigenous woman. Maybe they can tell? I've read that there have been people with European type structure/features found in Asia, too, from a long time ago. Some day they may be able to say definitively, once and for all, that many if not most people travelled a lot to trade and that actually, we really ARE all one. The differences are superficial, physically, and then there are cultural/religious/ideological differences. But we are not as different as some want us to be. CATS, actually, know better. They are PAWSitive that, as long as people are compassionate, kind, gentle, generous and caring, they're okay. As for Ireland, it is said the original inhabitants were brown people, but that the Vikings came there, which is where the red-headed, pale-skinned genes come from. My family always said our people were black Irish. But again, my CATS do not care. They are PAWSitive they love me, because I love them.
I think the DNA might have been from the Middle east/Asia. And that is possible. The Vikings did travel that way. Close to where I live they found a gold box with a quote from the quran and arabic coins. Vikings also travelled all the way to the middle east. We also know that the Vikings had slaves, called treller, and some of these they would bring back from raids or travels. So anything is possible. There is no doubt there is a lot of Norse DNA in many people from Ireland and Scotland. :) You can also see it in names of people and places, as well as in the English language. It was a real surprise when I first moved to Ireland, to see all the Viking influence. From museums, to people asking and talking about them. I agree, we are one. People have been traveling, moving and mingling for a long time. :) I mean, Vikings, from a small country in the north, could build a boat and sail to America and the Middle east 1000 years ago. Our national borders and identities are fairly new. And few people will have a 100% profile If they were to do a DNA test to check their roots. We are like many of my cats, pure streetmix. :lol:

And for something positive, I have a quote from Håvamål. Håvamål is Odins words for man, on how to live a good life. And I think this quote fits the point that we are all one:

Young was I once, I walked alone,
and bewildered seemed in the way;
then I found me another and rich I thought me,
for man is the joy of man.

(And speaking of Viking or norse buildings, something that is pawsitively cool, my fave of our stavkirker:

65766294-52DC-4200-AB66-36252967B5D3.jpeg

Dragon heads, runes and crosses. :) )

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive is a hooray for all the good people out there! I am happy to have met so many! The world is made better by the good ones.
I had great news today! @Lil Dude got kitties spayed thanks to an anonymous donor and some other great people involved in cat programs. Go @Lil Dude Your efforts to become one of the cat rescuers has resulted in wonderful things. ( a good start to a young life) I am sure the donor is very happy with the results. I am pleased that things progressed in such a positive way. Applause for all who took part in this. It gives the rest of us hope!
More good news! Another person who came to thecatsite for help finding spay and neuter assistance has gotten three spays scheduled. I just love it when things go right!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Thank you for the Compliment for Bonjure! I think he is beautiful too. I suppose love is selfish. That means that I am a very selfish person. I love many kitties! It is hardwired in. We are motivated by love to continue even when the odds are against us. It inspires hope. All positive!
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I thoroughly enjoyed your positive poem! It conveyed a delightful image of your kitties! When they looked at the squirrels, was it as fun or food? Are they helping to feed Bob?;)
Alice catlady Alice catlady The ship is a work of art! Besides being raiders and pirates, the Vikings were artists. I saw what went into the building of one of these ships recently on a documentary. I don’t know how accurate the portrayal was but ,even so, it must have taken a true artisan to accomplish the assembly of such a craft. I can only imagine what a journey on that vessel would have been like. Across ocean, river and then to carry it over land! I wouldn’t mind a bit if you kept telling us more of the history. The Vikings must have had great respect for the talents of women to consider them head of household. It is all very interesting. A grave where you grew up? I can understand “getting your geek on”! Lol I grew up surrounded by Native gravesites, fossils and a variety of rocks and minerals. They all stirred an interest in my mind.
Once again you made me laugh. Your Pan seems to be observing the kittens so he too can laugh. Poor kittens! Planting their faces into the tree. Pan must be amused at the kittens on strings! Perhaps he has decided they are worth tolerating for entertainment value! Like kitten marionettes. Cats are so smart. He knows they are still silly children. At some point he may find sympathy for them and begin to be their protector. As long as he doesn’t teach them to bite the vet you should be okay. My kitties are a blended family too so I know you want them to get along well. I am introducing a rescue kitty now. There were a few indignant looks but also many affectionate tongue licks to her head. The kitties seem to understand that this new kitty is not a threat to their position with me and they accept her. There is enough love to go around.
Thank you for the history and the ship photo!
Below is a photo that made me think of your kittens. I hope these babies make you laugh. They got caught up in play and resemble marionettes!
642F036F-7298-41FC-AA45-4ED537CCD58D.jpeg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no doubt there is a lot of Norse DNA in many people from Ireland and Scotland.
That explains the random Scandinavian on my DNA test! That was the only thing that surprised us, but I suppose the Viking influence got into my otber ethnicities.

We got all my furniture out of the old apartment today! My mom and I are going to give it one last do over tomorrow and try to get out the cat hair, but it's mostly done and that feels good.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm enjoying looking at the pictures and learning about Norse Gods and Goddesses Alice catlady Alice catlady I have a cat called Freya, she's a feisty little thing.

I had great news today! @Lil Dude got kitties spayed thanks to an anonymous donor and some other great people involved in cat programs. Go @Lil Dude Your efforts to become one of the cat rescuers has resulted in wonderful things. ( a good start to a young life) I am sure the donor is very happy with the results. I am pleased that things progressed in such a positive way. Applause for all who took part in this. It gives the rest of us hope!
That's wonderful! I've been wondering how she was getting on. So glad to hear the cats are all getting spayed.

:clap::clap2::clap::clap2::clap::clap2::clap::clap2::clap:

My positive for the day is that it's ever so slightly cooler, so I only feel like I'm melting, not actually melting.

I've been working on a new Kitty Kennel. It's taking me a while, because I'm really busy at work and it's too hot to stay outside for long. I think it's going to have a flat roof, for lounging on, and straw inside for naps.

CatKennel1.jpg
CatKennel3.jpg

Chicken trying it out for size and her sister Twinkle underneath.
CatKennel4.jpg

Maybe I can get it finished by next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.