The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
@Mamany1953 and Tobermory Tobermory Those are favorites of mine! I love PBS and murder mysteries. You both might enjoy "SHETLAND", too, set in the very picturesque islands of that name. And "VERA" which is set in the north of England. One of my favorites is "INSPECTOR GEORGE GENTLY" which is also set there, but in the 1960's. There was also a great series called "FORTITUDE" set in Scandinavia, but I guess it's finished. I hope they make some new series because I can't get enough of them!
If you love nature programs, don't miss, "INTO THE OKAVANGO" which aired last night on NatGeoWILD! and is on YouTube, IDK for how long. Every person breathing should see this film.
Oh, yes. Shetland was excellent and I was just complaining to The Spouse that they haven't released any new Veras. Loved them both. We binge-watched all of the George Gentlys, too. Thanks for the PAWSitive recommendations! And I highly recommend Acorn for a lot of very fun British and Australian/New Zealand mysteries. It's less expensive if you sign up directly from the Acorn site instead of through iTunes. (Sorry...slightly off thread...but pawsitive that we can help each other out with great things to watch! :))

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness! Homemade wine segelkatt segelkatt ! That’s the best kind to have! All natural is the best!
Furballsmom Furballsmom Besutiful view! I love seeing the mountains.@Mamanyt1953 Settling in for some great shows sounds good to me. Hekitty at your side, of course!@ileen Reunion of friends of the best kind! It’s always fun and great that there was yummy food. Glad your dishes were a big hit! tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I know the feeling of kitties snuggling in the blankets! Been fighting a big and the kitties take great care of me. Fur blankets are the best! Here’s my Mackie snuggled right next to me. He lays on his back under the covers and lays his head on my shoulder. Nothing is sweeter! I really loved seeing all your cherished Winter decorations. I happen to love miniatures and the little houses were so great!
43CC70F2-8076-4577-84EA-7D09FA39CDE0.jpeg

My positive is that another of my kitties got adopted today. Soft grey fur and loving kitty, Missy. A family got her for their Mom as a surprise. Mom has been wanting a kitty. I am hoping it is the perfect match!
To all here, including laser eyed cats, have a wonderful and cozy night!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird WONDERFUL! What a beauty Missy is! May she live long, well, safely, and Loved! *TYSM about the houses. They are so treasured by me.*
Oh, almost forgot another great series, @Mamany1953 and Tobermory Tobermory , "The Doctor Blake Mysteries" set in Australia in the 1950s or 1960s I think. Your mention of Australia brought that one back to the forefront, T.
And IDK if anyone out there likes very emo films, but there's an old one on, of all things, The Hallmark Channel, tonight that I love. It's called, "To Dance With The White Dog". Yes, folks, you heard that right. D-O-G. Check it out if you like films with lots of heart. And have that tissue box ready. You'll need it if you have a HEART (which I know everyone here does.)

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 A dog?!?!? Well.... I did watch a cute cat one on the Hallmark channel called,” The Nine Lives of Christmas.” It was all about cats though. Just light hearted fluff but really cute! I bet it took a lot of takes to get the shots they got of those kitties! I fell in love with the cats! Family friendly and nothing terrible happened to the cats. Lol I’m just an old softie!
I’m going to watch it. If you suggested a dog movie, it must be good! Thanks for the tip!

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Update on the wine making:
After scrubbing and sterilizing everything (empty dry bottles get put in an pre-heated oven at 212 F for 10 minutes) I finally got to siphon the wine into the bottles and corking them. I ended up with 15 bottles, 3 of the carboys are now empty with one more to go. That one is still bubbling with ever so fine bubbles still coming up and the wine is not as dark. Here is what that all looked like but not in order, you'll have to read what's under each picture.

P1010477.JPG
this is the first bottle being filled with a siphon, the big jug is the carboy
P1010478.JPG
the first batch from the first carboy, 4 3/4 bottles from a gallon carboy, I had spilled something while trying to figure out how the siphon worked or there would be 5 whole bottles
P1010479.JPG
this is a corker and a cork is in my hand, you always buy new corks, never use pre-used corks
P1010480.JPG
you put the cork into the corker
P1010481.JPG
and then the corker on top of the bottle
P1010482.JPG
and pull down the arms, I had to put the bottle with the corker on the floor so I could push the arms down, getting to old to pull them down
P1010483.JPG
here are all the 15 bottles with the corks in them, some stick out more than others, don't know why, perhaps the corks were not wet enough, but they are in far enough
P1010154.JPG
these pics are from some weeks ago, you can see the 4 carboys have different colors, possibly from different amounts of sugar and/or yeast, the 2 in back have already started to clear
P1010180.JPG
they are getting darker and clearer
P1010183.JPG
there was mold growing on top of the second batch of juice, sometimes that happens, I had to get rid of that by siphoning it into a different container
P1010184.JPG
two of the carboys were filled in Sept, the newer ones developed the mold, the gadgets on top let gas escape but do not let air in. Eventually 3 of the carboys got equally dark and had stopped having gas escape which is when the wine is ready to be decanted into bottles. The last one is still not as dark as the others and is still fizzing.

Wine making is fun and not a lot of work but it is time consuming and you have to watch it for mold and taste it every once in a while to check for sweetness. You also have to have a place to keep your equipment while you are not using it but you can also use it for making beer and brandy. The small pieces are all in zip-lock bags and the jugs and gallon jars that I use before putting the future wine into into carboys are all in a box together with the zip-lock bags, the whole box goes into the back of a closet or in a garage or basement if I had one.

I will certainly enjoy my wine and am glad it's over for right now until the last carboy is ready. It has been a pawsitive experience to make this wine from my own two grapevines of Concord grapes. I wish I could share it with all my friends on the CatSite. CHEERS! :spew: :drinking::happycat:

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have two pawsitives this Saturday - 1) had a wonderful time meeting friends at a new venue for brunch with a bluegrass band, and 2) visited the shelter where we adopted Neely and our dog to make a holiday donation. All the employees who were there when we adopted the dynamic duo are still there and still remember us, truly a pawsitive day. :thumbsup:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It has been a pawsitive experience to make this wine from my own two grapevines of Concord grapes.
What fun, good for you! Enjoy!!

Positive, speaking of wine et al, I just found a recipe for fondue that sounds really good, and it has some great reviews. This will probably be "put into action" on New Years Eve as the last extravagance before the diet puts a stop to such things LOL

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Yes. I watched it. Excellent movie. You were right about all of it. That deeper meaning was not lost on me. Certainly that was the dog to be loved. Those who filmed this did a superb job telling the story as it should have been told. It was especially nice to me for many reasons. I loved seeing where it was portrayed too. I grew up under pecan trees in an old White House. I knew a family that reminded me of the one there. Truly great story! Tissues needed but in a good way. A very positive message. I could watch it again and still be moved by it the same way. I see why it’s a favorite of yours. Mine too now. Thank you. Everything keeps on going. ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Yes. I watched it. Excellent movie. You were right about all of it. That deeper meaning was not lost on me. Certainly that was the dog to be loved. Those who filmed this did a superb job telling the story as it should have been told. It was especially nice to me for many reasons. I loved seeing where it was portrayed too. I grew up under pecan trees in an old White House. I knew a family that reminded me of the one there. Truly great story! Tissues needed but in a good way. A very positive message. I could watch it again and still be moved by it the same way. I see why it’s a favorite of yours. Mine too now. Thank you. Everything keeps on going. ;)
Indeed! So glad you enjoyed and "got the message" which is important IMHO for us all to bear in mind, whatever our beliefs and ideologies. It can help to Guide us in our daily lives and keep us focused on what is so basic and universal.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Jcatbird Jcatbird Lovely photo of your kitty!!! I love to read your adventures with the babies and ones finding homes! The cats just make life perfect, don't they?

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Loved those pictures of your little houses and cute stuff you posted a bit back ago-trying to play catch up. Thank you for the list of shows to try-we are cutting the cord this month-in fact I got the notice that they are changing things-if I cancel in the middle of the service period-they won't prorate the charges- so I best call and cancel before Jan 14th. I just need that antenna installed asap-but I supposed I don't need local news channels..I am spoiled and love my local news...and saving money is pawsitive!

segelkatt segelkatt that looks like a great project! I don't drink wine but anything homemade has to be good!! I do like the color change!

Well today is Sunday and at work got some stuff done I have been meaning to finish up. A pawsitive is getting caught up with nit picky fiddly stuff that's a pain in the butt. Now to move on to part 2 of this project. I had printed out about 40 packets for parts to count..I just finished up the last one..now to print out another 10 or 20 tomorrow..I like getting this out of the way by Dec 31 and then start all over again in January.

This morning a coworker brought in donuts so todays other pawsitive is a nice yummy chocolate donut with coconut on it..man was that yummy!
Yesterday I bought a boston cream donut at Honey Dew donuts and you know what? I thought it was pretty darn good!:yummy:

I think they bake them there too..another pawsitive is this local donut shop has a puzzle table and a free book shelf-so I found an older book by Victoria Holt and got to work on a puzzle for a few minutes...and that's a pawsitive way to start my day!:drinking:

Puzzles, a book :read: and a yummy bagel with cream cheese!:yummy: And good tunes spinning on the ol computer..lots of classic rock!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat I read some Victoria Holt books when I was small. I remember them as being good. I've thought about cord-cutting too, but I find that I do need local news, very occasionally, but when I need it, I need it. Also, there are some channels that I watch all the time and I haven't found them all offered anywhere but on satellite (or cable, probably). So I'm still having to shell out far too much and blocking -- HOW many sports channels that I've never turned on and never will? and HOW many "junk entertainment" channels, ditto? :sigh::gaah: They really get ya that way. I've lost track of the times I've had actual convos with humans and complained, and answered surveys and complained, all to no avail, because they know they can do this to so many of us. It's kind of like the government :soapbox:
Furballsmom Furballsmom That's it -- that's the best time to get 'em. When they're peacefully and innocently sleeping. :zzzcat::angrycat:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's it -- that's the best time to get 'em. When they're peacefully and innocently sleeping. :zzzcat::angrycat:
:thumbsup: LOL

Positive, he was SUCH a well behaved boy, I got all the fur taken care of (even under his tail :yess: ), and a bit of his bib which he hates almost more than the hygiene trim, and his nails, my goodness, and lotsa luvins and a special treat after such a terrific session :cloud9:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thumbsup: LOL

Positive, he was SUCH a well behaved boy, I got all the fur taken care of (even under his tail :yess: ), and a bit of his bib which he hates almost more than the hygiene trim, and his nails, my goodness, and lotsa luvins and a special treat after such a terrific session :cloud9:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. So sweet! Three shorthaired cats here so no groomings except brushings, flea combings during summer, and (attempted) claw clippings. Oh, and ear cleansing liquid if necessary.
It would be so PAWSitive if they would all let me clip their claws! :angrycat:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat Tge cats do make life sweet! Mackie was an earl rescue. Last night I took Bonjure out with me to watch the Comet. He is a huge fluff ball but loves snuggling inside my coat. All zipped up like a fur scarf, he stayed there to watch the skies with me. I used to do that with my daughter so it was a great comfort to me to have Bonjure next to me. He kept bumping his head up against my chin! Lol He purred the whole time. I raised him from a little baby and often kept him close inside my coat when it was cold. I think it was nice for us both. I’m almost at his “coming in “date of Christmas night. An old Tom cat brought him to me on a cold, rainy Christmas night. It probably saved the kitten since he had asthma. I have no idea where the old guy got him from. It’s not like we have close neighbors with cats. There wasn’t anyone around who would have brought him to me. Seeing the old Tom drop him at my feet was a shock but the best kind of gift we can be given. I’ve never stopped being grateful to Marcus for bringing me my gift that night. A true positive! :redheartpump:
7A9007DD-628F-4ED7-B917-169B18D81632.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fangkew, Furballsmom Furballsmom :happycat::kneading::cutecat:These do get pretty sharp at times.
It's kinda like going to the doctor and having him/her stab you dozens of times with a needle on one visit. Sorta. :winkcat:
Jcatbird Jcatbird what a GORGEOUSLY HANDSOME Bonjure. Our Baby Su turned up under one of our ancient junipers as a tiny baby, in much the same way. Never did figure out where she possibly could have come from, but she's feral. No other cats involved in her delivery to us, as far as I know. Sort of a miracle baby, somehow. :clapcat:
IMG_0700.JPG
Baby Su in a rare appearance in the "blue bathroom".

Status
Not open for further replies.