The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My wife and I went to Cocoa Beach, Florida in early April 1997. It being the end of the winter and both of us travelling from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada we had no problem putting on the swimming suits and laying out by the ocean. You should have seen the looks we got, I think the Southerners thought we were crazy as they had sweaters on. The coldest time of year here is typically the middle of January, can get down to the minuses in Fahrenheit at night and on windy days if the wind is from the North. It isn't like that the entire winter long is a very pawsitive thing.

Thank God for couch warmers

and bed warmers
I can relate to that: my brother and his fiancee came here from Germany in November one year and we took them out sailing in the Pacific Ocean. There, myself and my partner were bundled up in parkas and woolen mittens and scarves and they were half naked, she in a bikini and he in shorts and short sleeves claiming that it was nice and warm. OOOH, warm? We were freezing. I saw goosebumps on her but she still claimed it was "just pleasant". Too each his own. Living in California I have become a wimp as far as weather is considered although I tried out WA state (Tacoma) for 1 1/2 years and while the rain did not bother me I could not stand the cold and returned to SoCal no matter how expensive it is to live here. Somebody said your blood thins in those warmer places but I doubt that is real. Anyone have a scientific explanation for that? I'm just glad for warm pussycats that sleep with me or sit in my lap. I DON'T need an electric blanket.

I have some news! I recently got my cat Mia a new cat tower! She’s been really enjoying it, and has used just about every part of it. This is her first real cat tower and I’m so glad that I got it for her.
Wait until she shreds it! Not pretty. The worse it looks the more she will like t. You can refurbish it with new sisal rope and wood glue available at Home Depot and places like that. Once a year will do, I've done it, it's cheaper than getting a new tree.

Last edited by a moderator:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's so stinking cold here tonight with the wind and all the little dogs are in clothes outside! That's ok, I should have 5 to 10 kitties in my bed tonight and if that doesn' help a weiner mix, chi mix and 2 pit bulls that would love to get in on the action lol. But wait... where do I sleep? :doh2:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's blowing again and the humidity is down to 25% which makes it seem colder than it is. The thermostat is up to 75 and the heat is running and I'm still cold wearing a sweatshirt, an undershirt, jeans, knee socks and fuzzy socks over those, a hot rum drink at my elbow and I'm STILL FREEZING! I think I need to go to bed in a flannel PJ, with a down comforter, two blankets, and a sherpa-like blanket over that, then entice at least 2 cats into the bed with a heating pad. Yes, I have turned into a California wimp as far as temps are concerned. And this with someone grew up in Germany! No wonder my relatives are laughing at me!

Besides that: IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, I'M 75 YEARS OLD TODAY, A BIBLICAL AGE!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can handle the cold much better than the heat. I never did well in the desert. I remember one summer, it got up to 130. I rarely went outside. I just wasn't meant to deal with heat. And it just didn't seem Christmasy when I could comfortably go out in short sleeves. Haha
I'm sitting here eating deep fried breaded mushrooms - the latest prego craving - with Connor sleeping next to me and Murphy hugging me and purring up a storm.
Apparently Connor is closer to Marcy than it seemed. He's been walking all over the apartment searching for her and meowing sadly. I'm glad he decided to take a nap. I can't wait to pick her up in the morning. She's only been here since August, but her absence is glaring. I'm so glad John went to the gas station and found her that night.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My next thankful; both my kids and I had good checkups at the dentist today. 3/3 - no cavities!

It was a little sad saying goodbye to my dentist of +20 years; who is retiring at the end of the month. And the lady who has run the office as long as I've been there. It's nice to go to a place they know you by sight. And they always arranged my appointment directly after my mother's so my Mom can watch my kids. I don't know that we can do that anymore. But I'm just happy to have a good report today!

Now to cuddle some cats on the couch! :zzzcat:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's blowing again and the humidity is down to 25% which makes it seem colder than it is. The thermostat is up to 75 and the heat is running and I'm still cold wearing a sweatshirt, an undershirt, jeans, knee socks and fuzzy socks over those, a hot rum drink at my elbow and I'm STILL FREEZING! I think I need to go to bed in a flannel PJ, with a down comforter, two blankets, and a sherpa-like blanket over that, then entice at least 2 cats into the bed with a heating pad. Yes, I have turned into a California wimp as far as temps are concerned. And this with someone grew up in Germany! No wonder my relatives are laughing at me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :celebrate: :bday: :jive: :party: :party2:

I'm a weather wimp too and proud of it. My thermostat is also at 75 and I have multiple blankets at the ready in my room.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use space and radiator heaters in the house and they are all around 75 to 80, I have 2 dogs, and 2 kittens with me. The kittens are keeping their puppy mom warm lol goofy girls... O I'm so glad their mom found me so I could save them from being feral forever! Love them!
15125307673991528207999.jpg

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Happy birthday to you segelkatt segelkatt ! :celebrate::beerchug::bday::woo:

And warm safe wishes to all of us in the cold wind tonight!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt Firstly, Happy Birthday!!! I don't know about your blood thinning out in warmer places. I'm someone who seems to run pretty warm, even though I'm from the Deep South. I'm currently in NorCal, where it's just a bit chillier, and I'm enjoying it!

It's a brisk clear night here, with a huge golden moon in the sky. I like my rural locale on nights like this, when you can see all the constellations. :goldstar:

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer What I wouldn't give to see the stars all clear! I am from the country and I live in the city now and I HATE it. I like that things are close but I can't stand the rest. On a good note I have 3 fluffy foot and leg warmers, 2 side warmers of a canine variety, and 1 diapered head warmer lol. They treat mom so good!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Minimum of 15 words per post. Just posting "good morning!" won't qualify for the purpose of this thread and will be deleted. Keep your posts long enough and meaningful. The only exception is sharing a page from TCS on social media - in which case a link to the share is enough.
Just a reminder of the rules.

Happy Birthday (and Nikolaustag) segelkatt segelkatt !

I've managed to get most of my Christmas shopping done, though it seems like I start later and later every year.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer What I wouldn't give to see the stars all clear! I am from the country and I live in the city now and I HATE it. I like that things are close but I can't stand the rest. On a good note I have 3 fluffy foot and leg warmers, 2 side warmers of a canine variety, and 1 diapered head warmer lol. They treat mom so good!
I know what you mean about being able to see the stars. Although I live just 50 miles south of LA and everything is built up between here and there, no wide open spaces with no buildings (one of these days this place will be solid houses from Santa Barbara to San Diego) but when I step outside on my patio I can see the stars, lots of them. I face East and right now the moon rises on the very left from my patio, the sun however comes up from straight across and leaves me around 2 pm. There is a lot of empty space around here (green belts, golf courses) and the lights all face downwards besides the ones on the walkways in the buildings to make sure there is enough light so people don't fall over unseen objects. We are all into "dark skies". We are all encouraged not to have lights on at night and/or cover windows so that birds don't fly into buildings or become disoriented and most do comply. So, yes, it is possible with the help of city authorities to be able to see stars even in the city or the urban areas but too many municipalities don't care. We also have solar panels on several roofs with more to come to pay for the electricity in the common areas like stairwells or walkways. There is truth in the saying "as California goes so goes the nation". Let's hope that will soon come so you can see the stars again without having to drive who knows how many miles. You can Google Earth where I live to see how many open spaces we have here and that can be done elsewhere also.

Nikolaustag is on the 6th, when I was a kid I thought I was always cheated because I did not get as much as my brother since I had my birthday the day before. But thank you for the good wishes, jcat jcat .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread and great idea. My positive thing to say is that my two kitties and my dog love cuddling together and sleeping on the bed with me every night and look absolutely adorable. Sometimes I get home and they're all piled up together on my bed in my soft new down comforter and there's no room for me!
It's nice to see they're so bonded since my little cat spent about six months relentlessly attacking my dog non-stop at first and scratched his cornea the first night, and the shelter tried to not let me adopt this dog at all because they thought he had "high prey drive" and would kill my cats. Lol he's afraid of them, they're in charge. Glad they were wrong, love my little fur family.
Can some of the proceeds go to researching more treatments for pets with cancer? I've lost a lot of cats to various forms of cancer, seems to come on fast and there's rarely any good treatments.
I'm at the vet with fluffy cat (the accidental trap and foster) getting her all up to date on shots and combo tested so she can go be adopted this weekend hopefully. She's beautiful but really needs to be an only pet or at least way less than we have! She's being a perfect angel too.
Jcatbird Jcatbird
Welcome to The Cat Site, you should fit in nicely here. The following are the two feral cats I socialized at work with information, advice and support from the people on this site. Aside from the two cats being a bit timid you would never know they used to be feral.

Kitty
View attachment 208635

Her brother Rusty
View attachment 208636
Thank you! I feel like I am among kindred spirits. I hope I am able to reply to you. My eyes fail sometimes as does my device! I'll just think positive thoughts. Lol Perhaps my eyes are just overworked from viewing all the wonderful posts. I adore the pics you have posted and the kitty chairs are precious. I would need to have a few more around here. I plan to visit here as often as possible. Right now I am quite busy with my rescues and attempts to get more adopted. I am afraid my cup runneth over here. I already have too many of my own but I fall for every kitty I rescue and I cry when I let every adoptee leave for a new home. Bittersweet but also happy for the kitty and new cat parents. Bless all here for their great hearts! If I can figure out how to do it I will send some sweet pics of my own kitties.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Happy Birthday! Aislyn's birthday is December 28. We always get her Christmas and birthday presents. I don't think it's fair for Christmas babies to only get one set of presents. Little Aedan is due January 15 so we will probably have to save all year to get through this time of year. Lol
Good news, baby is not trying to come early. Went to the hospital because I was having a lot of pains, but it's just a combination of Braxton Hicks and him being a more active than normal baby and beating the tar out of me. But, a super strong baby is always a good thing. I may be the mother of a miniature Incredible Hulk. Haha

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No consecutive posts. You can't add a reply if yours is the last post in the thread. If anyone starts talking to themselves to speed things up, they risk getting banned from this thread.
Another reminder about the rules.

segelkatt segelkatt You posted at 3:23 a.m. CET, hence the confusion about the dates. A friend's son was born on Nikolaustag, and her daughter on Christmas Eve.

We're getting closer and closer to 1,000 posts! :clapcat:

The shelter usually gets more donations this time of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.