The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
@Furballsmom - I mean the peppers come in all different colors. They start out green and then slowly change color. Sometimes the color is not even and you end up with one that is partly green and partly another color. No, they don't have all the colors on the same fruit
@raysmyheart - I also don't care how weird the shape of the pepper is unless I want to stuff them. Then I want one with a nice even bottom so it does not fall over in the dish. I also don't understand why some people will scorch and then peel them, the most nutrition is usually in the peel and after you cook peppers they are soft enough that you can eat them. Even if you put them in salad I don't know anyone who peels them first
We have very few free standing farm stands here but just about every "town" (they run together here in Orange County) has a farmers' market where farmers bring their produce from as far away as 100 miles. Most are certified as "organic" which is why they have good business that allows them to truck their produce that far and attend the market which is set up in a parking lot like this one
Sharon at the farmers' market in Laguna Hills, CA.JPG

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper freakie here -- I love 'em all! I especially love the small sweet ones that come in red, gold, and orange -- they are wonderful additions to my green salads.
*And as for those towns, my first ex used to say it was L.A. all the way from the border with Mexico up to San Francisco. But it's gotten even more so since he said that.
And @raysmyheart and Speedy -- Just *SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!* :loveeyes:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper freakie here -- I love 'em all! I especially love the small sweet ones that come in red, gold, and orange -- they are wonderful additions to my green salads.
And @raysmyheart and Speedy -- Just *SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!* :loveeyes:
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - You'd sure like Jeff Hiller's place, just up the road here. Beyond a few hundred acres of real old-fashioned sweet corn varieties, Jeff's speciality is truck crops - especially sweet peppers in just about every colour you can imagine. Since we're showin' off local produce - here's Jeff's place:

hillers.jpg

Getting close to potato-buying time here too. $11.50 a bag near the season's end. That's a hundred pound bag.

;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - You'd sure like Jeff Hiller's place, just up the road here. Beyond a few hundred acres of real old-fashioned sweet corn varieties, Jeff's speciality is truck crops - especially sweet peppers in just about every colour you can imagine. Since we're showin' off local produce - here's Jeff's place:

View attachment 253142

Getting close to potato-buying time here too. $11.50 a bag near the season's end. That's a hundred pound bag.

;)
*Potato price envy* and *corn envy*, too. What a beautiful place! Yeah, I'd probably just set up camp right outside the yard, so I'd be the first one there in the morning. We're pretty serious about corn, yunno. Potatoes, too. And peppers. :fallsmiley:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Then there is the odd way my family's baby teeth come in: instead of bottom front teeth and then top front teeth we get "vampire teeth", meaning the eye teeth come in first, usually the ones on top first. Think about what that looks like when baby smiles!:flail:
:lol::lol::lol: My DDs teeth came in out of order; but not THAT out of order! She looked like a Jack-O-Lantern for a little bit. :lol2:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Potato price envy* and *corn envy*, too. What a beautiful place! Yeah, I'd probably just set up camp right outside the yard, so I'd be the first one there in the morning. We're pretty serious about corn, yunno. Potatoes, too. And peppers. :fallsmiley:

He grows a lot of heirloom tomatoes too. Broccoli, cauliflower, Bruxelles Sprouts, carrots, half a dozen bean varieties. Has a little orchard that's mostly Honeycrisp, but with enough other trees to keep the neighbourhood happy and well fed. Excellent peaches (even this year), the second best apricots in the county, and lots of raspberry varieties. His "hobby" is garlic hybridising, and he grows a number of offbeat oldies, China Whites, elephant, rose and some that I've never seen elsewhere. He took over for his Dad, who took over for his Grandfather, so we're all guessing he'll be around for a while. One of his kids (11) is already driving tractor.

;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles - well, hey, didn't we all, growing up?!! :lolup:
Right but not before age 1! :lol: When she was loosing her baby teeth the front ones were wiggly before Christmas and I had her watching YouTube videos of kids singing "All I Want for Christmas Is My 2 Front Teeth." They didn't fall out for months. She is NOT a wiggler. :lol:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right but not before age 1! :lol: When she was loosing her baby teeth the front ones were wiggly before Christmas and I had her watching YouTube videos of kids singing "All I Want for Christmas Is My 2 Front Teeth." They didn't fall out for months. She is NOT a wiggler. :lol:
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Oh, I think I probably was, because we did that "tooth fairy" thing and I always got a little change under my pillow, so I was probably yanking on those teeth with all my strength. :nerd:
*Night all -- time for me to go nuke my masala*:yummy:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles - well, hey, didn't we all, growing up?!! :lolup:
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine -- That family eats WELL! *"Second best apricots in the county?" Should we guess who the prize-winner might be?*:cool2:

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Seven miles up the road - Mister Pipiles:

That's his late Wife, Edna. He put those apricot trees in after the war. He announced his retirement, effective this season's end. Nice fellow, but kind of lazy if you ask me - this barely makes seventy years of working the farm every day, and he claims he's already tired. Jeez... he's not even a hundred yet.

;)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer & MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles - so people without wisdom teeth are more evolved than those with them according to your dentist. In that case I must be close to a troglodyte as I still have all four of mine.
Not that people who have their wisdom teeth are necessarily un-evolved. Only that not having wisdom teeth is a mutation which has been brewing over the last years in our mouths. Modern anthropologists believe that wisdom teeth easily fit inside the mouths of our ancestor - Homo Erectus - which had a much larger jaw size. Through our evolution to Homo Sapiens, these teeth still served us well, as our diet consisted of hard roots, tree bark, and nuts - all which wore on the teeth. Combined with a lack of modern dental hygiene, it was unimportant that our jaw was smaller overall, because people generally ended up needing the extra teeth as others wore down or fell out due to injury or rot. Now, many people need their wisdom teeth extracted because there is not enough space in the jaw. These teeth grow in impacted, thus making them useless for chewing. It will take a very, very long time for this mutation to affect everyone, if at all, as evolution is really pretty slow. Of course, if you have all four of your wisdom teeth with no problems, that is all that matters!

Your point about CA produce is correct: I will certainly miss the fresh veggies to which I have access currently in the Salad Bowl. I, too, love the striped Bell Peppers @raysmyheart

All I can say for a PAWsitive is that I got off work quickly, closed the store efficiently, and got home without any traffic. Pretty good when you get back home ASAP!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tanuki! I just love seeing them. The warm blooded and the statuesque. Norachan Norachan I think you should have two large ones at your entrance. Perhaps the smaller, warm blooded ones would realize they are no match for a 4 1/2foot tall challenger. I think together we could move them! I am over a half foot taller than they are.;) The deer are a favorite with me. Such beautiful animals.
I am glad to hear that everyone is near finishing up their dental work. M maggiedemi Crowns do look nice but they can pop off at any time! Keep your beautiful originals as long as you can. I hope you are without pain now!
Loving the baby pictures! @Lari That is a picture of a living doll!
@raysmyheart Speedy has such great expressions! I love that cat!
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine ”Used Cats”! Better not let the kitties hear you say that.
segelkatt segelkatt Bebe , a very beautiful kitty!
Muched loved I know.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 0% financing. I’ll take a dozen
@NY cat man You keep referring to things I know about too. Stop giving away our age! Oops! Guess I just gave away mine! Lol
@1 bruce 1 That is one book I have never heard of! Learned something new.
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I haven’t posted here for a few days. Sorry I missed your birthday. I hope you have a great year!
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer I hope all your dental work goes smoothly from now on. My jaw was too small for one of my teeth so it came through under my tongue! Braces and lots of shifting around fixed it though!
@Furballsmom Don’t we just love watching our kitties gymnastic abilities as they leap for bugs? They always make me laugh.
@PushPurrCatPaws I’ll be interested to try the rosemary and ice cream! Thanks for the tip.

My positive is that I have a house full of rescued kittens right now. That equals lots of laughter. Who can resist a kitten face?
70265258-12A8-450B-93A7-3ED9823826C2.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
At least you know that you and your kitties are all Loved.
yes, that's always good to know. Maybe we could get some sort of time share going? I'll have @Kat0121 lovely fluffy girls over here for the winter, then they can take Forest and Little Boy back for a few months of Florida sunshine. Carpet could go and visit segelkatt segelkatt for a while. Who do I get in return segelkatt? Any of your cats interested in visiting a Mount Fuji retreat?

Moo Shu is welcome here any time. I know she can't be as bad as you say she is.

Aren't you the one who posted pics of the llamas at the riding stable? Or somewhere. I remember llamas, I know I didn't dream it
That's right, I did! That was at the Mongolian Trekking Center in Nagano. It's a long drive from here, we usually only make it over there twice a year.

This is the Czechoslovakian cat.
That's very nice>

I think you should have two large ones at your entrance. Perhaps the smaller, warm blooded ones would realize they are no match for a 4 1/2foot tall challenger.
:lol: Yeah, that should do it!

Just for you M maggiedemi

Llama1.jpg
Llama2.jpg
Llama3.jpg

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Who can resist a kitten face?
Certainly not me:petcat:

I think this may be the last splash of color at my place before the leaves turn.
IMG_2294.JPG

A little something for M maggiedemi
Untitled-4.jpg

Camping.
Untitled-2.jpg

My parents basement.
Untitled-1.jpg

I thought I would have to scan some but then I remembered my mother sent me an email in 2016 with a photo collage for my birthday.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane Kent Shane Kent --You definitely win for cutest baby/kid pics. Thanks for sharing!

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine --I enjoyed finally reading all the names of your famous 11 cats. I always wondered. It would be fun to hear all their gotcha stories.

segelkatt segelkatt --All those fruits sound delicious. My sister-in-law who is from Florida told me about Cherimoyas, but I haven't found any in NY.

Norachan Norachan --Thank you! This makes my day. I'm obsessed with llamas. I knew I wasn't crazy and seeing llamas where there weren't any. :D That's one of my most positive memories from childhood. My parents did take us on wonderful summer trips, and there was always a petting zoo with llamas, goats, ponies, all kinds of wonderful animals to feed. :)

Song of the day Faithfully by Journey below:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, that's always good to know. Maybe we could get some sort of time share going? I'll have @Kat0121 lovely fluffy girls over here for the winter, then they can take Forest and Little Boy back for a few months of Florida sunshine. Carpet could go and visit segelkatt segelkatt for a while. Who do I get in return segelkatt? Any of your cats interested in visiting a Mount Fuji retreat?

Moo Shu is welcome here any time. I know she can't be as bad as you say she is.
Norachan Norachan - Brilliant - an Exchange Cat Program! I'm happy to offer Bob, Peanut, Black Friday, Clawed-Ya and Puff for a brief visit to Japan. Please make arrangements to send them back as soon as they cease blowing their Summer coats and have grown in their Winter ones are ready.

I don't suppose that you drive a Suzuki, do you, or perhaps or own a Saluki?

A girl from the land of Kabuki,
Decided she wanted Tanuki;
She knew where two were,
But to get them to her,
She was forced to employ her _______.

Please let it be the motorcar and not one of those skinny little dogs!

saluki.jpg

Seventy-eight degrees here today, and not a Tanuki in the sky, as western New York enjoys what will almost doubtless be our last day in the eighties. Cool overnights have prompted the lawn to begin growing afresh, and there's an urgency in the movement of the songbirds which suggests the onset of Autumn some five days hence.

For those still within the grasp of Hurricane Florence, our Prayers are with you.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes! Prayers and well wishes for all affected by Florence.

Jcatbird Jcatbird - those kittens are adorable, and so great of you to rescue them! Nobody can resist a kitten's face.

Speaking of: I woke up early this morning to the sound of a purring little loaf of a cat. Assuming it as Lucy (who is always asleep next to me,) I turned over to find Mog cuddling away. His purrs are such a deep, rumbling noise, and it was such a soothing sound to wake up to. I wish I could put it on my alarm clock! But then I probably wouldn't get out of bed. :D

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Seven miles up the road - Mister Pipiles:

That's his late Wife, Edna. He put those apricot trees in after the war. He announced his retirement, effective this season's end. Nice fellow, but kind of lazy if you ask me - this barely makes seventy years of working the farm every day, and he claims he's already tired. Jeez... he's not even a hundred yet.

;)
*How much would you take for everything on the tables?* ALL of those vegetables and fruits look amazing! I miss the Mojave (Oh no, there she goes again!) and the stands we'd visit. Little Rock has several -- the tourists drive through on the main road and stop. But so did we. And they also boast some of the greatest pupusas ever, as well as fresh juices, at the little place across the road.
There is no one cuter than a kitten. Except a cat, who's a kitten but larger.
I can't offer any llamas but we did live next door to Llano, if that counts. If it doesn't, people out there have all kinds of ranches and all kinds of animals. I did see emus several times on the road to Hesperia.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*How much would you take for everything on the tables?* ALL of those vegetables and fruits look amazing!
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Mister Pipiles is still the most meticulous grower I've ever met. Strawberries are individually inspected as he packs them; apples are burnished with a linen cloth, and stone fruits are rolled in the hands to check for soft spots. Very. Old. School.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Mister Pipiles is still the most meticulous grower I've ever met. Strawberries are individually inspected as he packs them; apples are burnished with a linen cloth, and stone fruits are rolled in the hands to check for soft spots. Very. Old. School.
Well worth the price, then! It's great when people take pride in what they do, what they produce, and what they share with others. Very PAWSitive!

Status
Not open for further replies.