The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I just hit a yard sale with hosta plants dug up for $1 each. I bought 4. 2 have yellow tipped leaves. 2 have white tipped leaves. I hope this humidity vamooses and rain comes because it's quite tropical feeling here! Hope everyone has a great Saturday!
Oh, you got a bargain! I bought a hosta yesterday. I paid about $10 for it, but it's a fairly big one and is just about to flower. I'm hoping it likes it here. I know you said they're really tough plants, but Japanese winters are something else.

I'll post some pictures when the flowers open.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
They do good in part shade. Full sun is ok as long as water enough. These are smaller ones they do multiply every year so in 3 years divide them. Personally I don't have a sharp enough shovel to divide them. Clump is almost two feet wide :eek:

Its a balmy 82 qnd I am sitting under my maple tree watching Honeybee try to catch something. She was stuffing her face into the lawn...probably a mole/vole. Cloudy and humid. I also got some more petunias at another local flower shop..
I have one more flower box to fill. And I couldn't resist!
20180602_111126.jpg

And Honeybee telling me that it's just too hot. Shes getting hair cut on Tuesdsy!

20180602_111435.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Honeybee looking sweet as always trying to nibble on greenery here which I shooed her away. Cayanne pepper on leaves will keep her from chewing!
20180602_110539.jpg

And just because I love takin pictures of Bee
Shes under this mountain laurel? Pink flower shrub. Nothing kills it. Drought. Water. Cold winters.i dont know what exactly it is...i call it mountain laurel because it's so hardy.
20180602_104003.jpg

20180602_103812.jpg

And because I couldn't resist..there's another hosta under here. Next spring I will move it out from under this mystery shrub.
20180602_103901.jpg

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I celebrated donut day by taking a subway ride to Penn station, just a bit of a detour, after work yesterday. There is a Krispy Kreme on the Amtrak level that had two longish lines. Since the shop is on a corner, the lines went in different directions & had different people serving them. I did what was appropriate for donut day: I joined one line, got a chocolate iced donut, went to the end of the second line, waited & got a raspberry jelly filled donut. Then I went back to the subway & ate both of them before the train arrived. I wonder if I could have kept joining opposite lines - the staff was so busy, they barely looked up. I don't know how many more donuts I could have eaten. Maybe it's best I stopped at two.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I just hit a yard sale with hosta plants dug up for $1 each. I bought 4. 2 have yellow tipped leaves. 2 have white tipped leaves. I hope this humidity vamooses and rain comes because it's quite tropical feeling here! Hope everyone has a great Saturday!
foxxycat foxxycat - Great deal - and the photos that followed this post are nothing short of fabulous - especially that big, beautiful Honeybee!

Give your State Conservation Agency a big, "thank you," for me. Some years ago, when the Karner Blur Butterfly was at the brink of extinction (it was estimated that only about fifty remained, all in New Hampshire's Concord Pine Barrens) I put Lupine in across the top of the high bank, overlooking the river, as a butterfly attractant. Never imagined I'd see a Karner, of course, but this morning:

karner.jpg

I can't imagine anything more pawsitive than this!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy CATurday, all!
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine That's breathtaking! How wise and fortunate you are and thank you for sharing that rare sight with us!
ileen ileen VERY smart. To get two, and to stop at two. Although since it's only one day out of the year, you do have a point there -- next year maybe you can see how far you can take it. :crackup:
foxxycat foxxycat How gorgeous Honeybee looks in her flowery domain! And IDK what those are called, but they are lovely. The black-and-cream pansies are stunning!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
well, hmmm.
My lupine are done except that deep purple one in the back yard and a couple flowery buddies.

Speaking of butterflies, over the years the front and back yards have been graced with regular visits of huge tiger swallowtail butterflies.

A neighbor a couple doors down was catching heck about his "messy" weeping willows (swallowtail habitat), plus these trees were too close to the house foundation and the driveway and the roots were causing trouble, so down they came.
I was holding my breath all year, wondering if the butterflies would come back.

THEY DID!!!! :gift: :musicnote: :dazzler:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, hmmm.
My lupine are done except that deep purple one in the back yard and a couple flowery buddies.

Speaking of butterflies, over the years the front and back yards have been graced with regular visits of huge tiger swallowtail butterflies.

A neighbor a couple doors down was catching heck about his "messy" weeping willows (swallowtail habitat), plus these trees were too close to the house foundation and the driveway and the roots were causing trouble, so down they came.
I was holding my breath all year, wondering if the butterflies would come back.

THEY DID!!!! :gift: :musicnote: :dazzler:
One of the great pleasures of living here is the wildlife, including the butterflies! I've seen the yellow and the black varieties of tiger swallowtail, mourning cloaks, monarchs, fritillaries, cabbage whites -- white and yellow varieties. There are also the little yellow skippers occasionally.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, bless you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 for the reminder.

Denver experienced the incredible phenomenon of a painted lady butterfly migration last year. It was mindblowing.

You also reminded me that even here, more rare than hummingbirds, every now and then (once every 10 years - ??!!) I get the awesome opportunity to see a Monarch butterfly.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the great pleasures of living here is the wildlife, including the butterflies! I've seen the yellow and the black varieties of tiger swallowtail, mourning cloaks, monarchs, fritillaries, cabbage whites -- white and yellow varieties. There are also the little yellow skippers occasionally.
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - I am, indeed, fortunate to live here in this somewhat wilder place amidst a rather gentrified neighbourhood. The woods and naturalised areas provide great butterfly habitat, and I've put in milkweed in enough places that Monarchs are now abundant.

I envy you your Mourning Cloaks - I've seen less than a dozen here in fifteen years, resplendent in their atropurpurean habiliment. I have only a few cherries and apples, and a few pear trees, so Mourning Cloaks are sadly extremely scarce here.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Glad to help! The first spring we were in the Mojave, 2006, I was walking on our land and all of a sudden I was in the midst of a monarch migration! They just kept coming and coming, and I was surrounded by them. It was a once-in-a-lifetime, truly magical experience.

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I'm absolutely convinced you live in a little earthy corner of Paradise. It is SO beautiful!
Yes, I've loved mourning cloaks since I was a small, butterfly-moth-arachnid-and-insect obsessed kid. Seeing them reminds me that some things have NOT changed and that in spite of humanity's destructiveness, some fragile beauty still survives despite all odds.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 234779

Of course the photo doesn't do them justice, but the even more amazing thing of it was that the migration lasted for almost two weeks if I recall. They just kept coming!
View attachment 234780

So, my positive for all this is that the wonders of nature don't do justice for a certain feline requesting a treat LOL
Furballsmom Furballsmom Magnificent! Unfortunately I didn't have a device with me in the monarch migration. It would have taken something away from the experience, actually, of them flying all around me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 isn't that the truth?
Sometimes it's simply BETTER to stay in the moment and live it, and as you said, really experience it. Oddly enough, I found that truth through using a camera that was a little slow with getting the focus set, meaning I missed some wonderful shots. Eventually I came to the conclusion that some photos aren't going to happen so instead I should fill my eyes--and ears too sometimes (thinking of sandhill cranes on their migrations) :cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.