The Max of Zorro

daremo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 6 months old kitten yesterday and his name ended up being, the Max of Zorro. I had my friends kids come up with a name and they chose Zorro, while cute, didn't really stick with me. I kept feeling Max was a good name, so I combined them and it kind of works. 

The sad thing is that since I brought him home I haven't seen or heard from him at all. It doesn't look like he has eaten or drank, though I am not 100% sure. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment so it was hard to find a place to set him up so he could be alone. I keep thinking that he might of slipped out of my apartment or I already killed him or something worse. I will say this, he is a very good hider!

Hopefully he is here and I am over worrying!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello again daremo, I've answered you in the thread. Don't worry, as long as you know that he has not gotten out of the house, he is just hiding somewhere. Please read your other thread ;)

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!
 And a special welcome to The Max of Zorro, which is an absolutely marvelous name!   Unfortunately, what you're going through right now is something that many cat owners experience when they first bring a new kitty home.  Cats are geniuses at finding hiding places and it doesn't help that they can seemingly defy the laws of physics and fit into spots that appear far too small.    

Has TMOZ used his litter box yet?  You mention that you're not sure if he's had anything to drink or eat, but that's alway a good way to find out if a missing cat is still around.  Regardless, you should start trying to tempt him out with nice smelly food - something warmed up to release the aroma.  Tuna is a good choice.  Divide a can up and put a bowl in each room.  

Since you're worried that he might have gotten out of your apartment, you might also try putting some tuna outside as well.  This might backfire as you may attract a different cat and find yourself coping with more than you signed up for.  Still, it's something to consider.  I would only bother if your apartment opens directly to the outdoors.  If it opens into a hall, odds are The Max of Zorro would have been discovered.  

I hope once you get over this crisis, you have many happy years together!  He is an adorable little guy, 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site! I agree, cats, especially young, agile ones are VERY good at hiding. I have one that crawls up into the box spring. Cats absolutely hate change and he is going through a lot of them right now. He may be behind the stove or under a night stand, Often I have to get a flashlight and search each room thoroughly. I agree with just leaving a couple of litter boxes and food and water out, he will eventually show. Just talk soothingly and call him every once in a while. Post us when he shows!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the link to the other thread, @betsygee    I'm so glad to hear that The Max of Zorro is out of hiding!  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daremo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Max has come out now and is visiting me with furious need for attention and we are learning to set boundaries. 

He has eaten and is now using the litter box. I am so thrilled.

He is very needy right now and admittedly a little bit annoying. I had cats several years ago and I don't remember it being this difficult, though I probably wasn't a very good of Cat Dad.

I want to train Max and I want him to be happy to be living with me. I want to do it right. 

I have another thread going on boundaries and training

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/333587/...ing-where-my-cat-goes-on-my-desk#post_4192127

Thanks for your encouragement and help!

pegalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just joined and saw your concern. I hope he has shown up since your post but if not. put food and water out in different places. Then after that, check all your cupboards, behind things like your stove, washing machine and dryer, fridge, under beds or any furniture (even if you think there is not enough space). I'm pretty sure you have not killed him and you would have seen him run out. Keep windows and doors closed until you see or hear him. I'm sure he will show up. Oh another thing you might try is some really smelly food. Tuna or fish is usually the smelliest that I have found. Canned food will usually entice them out as you look around. Good luck. Right now I have a rescue cat that jumps up into the top of my cupboard in my bathroom. I've also had cats hide in the back corner under my kitchen sink. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daremo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has come out and is hopefully enjoying being with me. Thank you for the advice and encouragement!

pegalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is good to hear. Thank you for the update. I'm sure you will have lots of enjoyable time together.

hellobecky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. That's good he came out from hiding!! 

I love his name! He is oh so cute and looks like he will be a handsome boy when he gets older