The Feral Had Kittens in My Yard!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most shelters are full up. I hope you have checked and you are not putting her in a kill shelter, because she has a better chance just being left alone to raise her kittens outside. I'm not sure why you think they are in such danger? If she has been harrassed under one shelter, she will find another hidden place to tuck her kittens and she will guard them carefully. If you set up a feeding station for her in the same place and feed her every day at the same (time) s- she will come and eat and you will be able to see how she is doing. She will be stressed in a shelter environment and again if they are a kill shelter, she won't be there that long.

She will bring the kittens to you when they are old enough to come off her belly and then you can trap and secure her and the kittens. I would just leave her alone. Just because you put her into a shelter, doesn't mean that is a better life than what she has now.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

The shelter doesn't open for a couple of hours yet. I've checked their website, and this is what it says:

"We are mandated by the state to take surrendered animals for $25 within city limits." <snip>
Being mandated to take them is definitely NOT the same as keeping them alive.

I would definitely speak to them first, and be very clear on what arrangements and level of care they'd be able to provide. Humane Societies' policies vary dramatically between different areas, but we would never work with the local chapter. The county shelter is worse - cats get rescued OUT of there by other rescues, in fact. Of course, some county shelters are great (though I find that to be the exception). Neither one has a foster network, and during kitten season, neither one is equipped with proper staff to handle bottle babies if mom stops caring for them.

Have you already searched to see if there are any foster networks in your area?

What Gary and I did on several occasions when facing bottle babies was take them to our vet, and basically made official arrangements with one of the vet techs (with knowledge of the owner) to foster the family or take on the babies if mom stopped caring for them. One litter of three basically became a project of the entire staff. But we did pay for their care.
They ended up being adopted out through the vet office.

Of course, in the end, it's far cheaper to TNR the cats in the first place, which is why we do that.

I realize that toms do sometimes kill kittens to put the mom back into heat, and that seems to be your primary concern. If there are so many strays, it seems there wouldn't be a lot of competition for females in heat as there must be plenty in the neighborhood. As you put out food, the cats are attracted to your yard for that. Perhaps move the food to an area of the yard that is not too close to the nest: one where the strays can eat without threatening the nest, and where mom can eat and keep an eye on the nest.

But please, do ensure their actual care before taking them anywhere. Just getting some place to take them is not the difficult part. If they're not going to a foster home, or if the rescue isn't equipped to care for bottle babies and has a policy of putting down unsocialized cats, you really are best leaving mom to care for her babies in your yard (if she keeps them there).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local shelter does have a fostering program. They have adoption fairs once a month and, as I stated before, they do everything possible to place an adoptable animal.
The office manager at my vet's has a "feral retreat", for lack of a better term. Her daughter lives in the country, and takes ferals who have been neutered. There are several huge enclosed areas so they are safe from predators and can live out their days in safety.
I really do have a couple of options here.

As for the ratio of toms to females in my neighborhood, last time I was able to get a good look at things (if you know what I mean) the ratio is about 4 toms to 1 female. Not very good for her.

If for some reason this little lady simply can't be socialized, I would be more than willing to bring her back here after her kittens are weaned and she is neutered.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is good news about the fostering network. Usually, fosters (at least in my area and it is kitten season afterall) step up to the plate in situations like this and I certainly hope that is the case in your area
You do have some options here and it sounds like you have done some looking into these different places. for you, mom cat and kittens

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Our local shelter does have a fostering program. They have adoption fairs once a month and, as I stated before, they do everything possible to place an adoptable animal.
The office manager at my vet's has a "feral retreat", for lack of a better term. Her daughter lives in the country, and takes ferals who have been neutered. There are several huge enclosed areas so they are safe from predators and can live out their days in safety.
I really do have a couple of options here.

As for the ratio of toms to females in my neighborhood, last time I was able to get a good look at things (if you know what I mean) the ratio is about 4 toms to 1 female. Not very good for her.

If for some reason this little lady simply can't be socialized, I would be more than willing to bring her back here after her kittens are weaned and she is neutered.
That's great.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SUCCESS!

I managed to use the rope method to secure the Mom-cat in the carrier with her babies. No fussing, no carrying-on, she was good as gold.
The humane society shelter had a 3 week waiting list for fosters, and they wouldn't take kittens that weren't old enough to be adopted.
We took them to the shelter run by my vet. I was assured that the kittens would be kept until they were old enough to be adopted. They took one look at Mom-cat and said they would work really hard to socialize; she is such a beautiful girl they knew she would be adopted, too.
One vet tech took the little family to the back, came out after several minutes, and gave us our carrier back. She was totally out of breath; when the receptionist asked if she was ok, she said the Mama had gotten away from her. I told your, "Your's are probably the first human hands that have touched her in a year." She was stunned, and is going to make the Mama her pet-project (pardon the pun).

I got back to the car and just bawled; I'm going to miss that little lady so much. I'm so used to seeing her outside my back door, waiting to be fed, those beautiful crossed sapphire eyes staring at me. I know we did what's best for her and the babies; almost as a sign, right after I'd managed to trap her it started to rain. I'd been praying all day that the rains wouldn't come until she and the babies were ok. I think someone was letting me know I was doing the right thing.

This is such a weight off my shoulders; I think I"ll finally be able to sleep tonight. And my vet is a wonderful man who adores cats (he always calls my cats "the kids"). I know they're going to be well-taken care of, and his staff will do their utmost to find them forever homes. (and they have my name in case the Mama can't be socialized, so I think it's all good).

Yea for happy endings!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for looking out for her and her babies! And thank you to your vet who is willing to take them all in and care for them and find them homes! That's how I ended up with Spencer and Katie. Someone brought them and their Mom into the vets. And I'm told that their Mom found a home too! So I'm sure that your kitty story will turn out to be a great success and that all 4 will end up in wonderful homes! Maybe even some of them in the same home, like my 2 did

You deserve a great big hug!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWWWWWWWWWWW Libby, this is fantastic news
You did a great job and I am certain mom cat wanted your help. So glad and relieved they will all be safe at your vet's place now. Very, very good job and I am sure it was a quite nerve-wracking day for you and Dave. Lots of hugs for you as now you can relax.. I am sure you can keep in touch and see how things are going too. I am sure they will let you come and visit if you want.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awesome job

I, like others, think that she is not feral but just scared. A little love can go along way.

I hope you can keep us posted on how they are all doing!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm finding this whole episode bittersweet; I'm so used to looking out the back window and seeing those gorgeous eyes looking back at me. Of course, as soon as I opened the door to go out, she'd run. My first thought this morning was 'gotta go out and feed the cat'. Last night, when it was storming, I was so glad we'd managed to get her and her babies somewhere warm and dry.
I want to check on her, but knowing how I am, I think it's just best if I let her be. The shelter has my name and number so they can contact me if need be; I think I just need to let her go. I'm grateful the tech at the shelter is going to make a special effort with her; I hope she can succeed where I couldn't. Of course, there won't be any running away when someone comes near so maybe she'll learn to trust people now.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You got that right in regards to socializing a feral or a really frightened kitty. If they are kept in a cage, at least until you are able to touch and pet them, they will learn quickly how wonderful it feels to be pet and loved on. So I am sure with that vet tech spending time with mom and the kittens, she will come around very, very quickly. Again, so glad the little family is safe and sound now.