The Feral Had Kittens in My Yard!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's been a beautiful, beautiful cat in our neighborhood for close to a year. (I believe it's a chocolate point Siamese, and it has the most amazing sapphire blue eyes) People in the next block put an ad in the lost and found last year when it was hanging out near their house, but there were no takers. It lives under my neighbor's shed for the most part, and I put food and water out for it. It's extremely timid; in all this time I haven't been able to get closer than 6 feet before it runs. Obviously, I've never been close enough to tell it's sex. I kept telling myself that if it was an unspayed female, there would have been kittens as some point.
Lately I'd noticed it was getting awfully chubby, but I just thought it was because I was putting food out for it. It disappeared Friday and I didn't see it again until yesterday. It seemed to have lost weight over those couple of days. Uh-oh.
Today I was walking thru my yard and it was walking on the other side of the yard. All of a sudden, I heard this high pitched meowing. I looked under a broken down wheelbarrow, and there were kittens---tiny, tiny kittens. I backed off, went to get some food and water, and put it near the wheelbarrow. By the time I got back with the food, she was back with her babies, giving me the evil eye.
I know this can't be her first litter if she's been outside for a year. I'm assuming her others have been killed by a tom. I came in, called the animal warden, and left a message; he will supposedly get back to me in the morning. His answering service told me he would come out to trap the mother and take the kittens.
I'm scared to death that something will happen to them overnight, but there is no way she's going to let me near her babies---or herself, for that matter.
The poor thing, I wish there was something else I could do for her. I'm afraid she's so wild she's going to be really hard to trap, and that she'll eventually be put down because she's so afraid of people.
I don't think I'm going to get much sleep tonight; I just hope the animal warden doesn't say, "I"m so busy I won't be there 'til next week."
Ugh, I hate this!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't know anyone else with a trap you can borrow?

I hope she's just a dumped/abandoned cat that's been on her own for a bit. They take some work but are re-tameable. Maybe the fact that she picked your yard, where you often come and go, means she's not as wild as she seems.

Good luck.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Libby are you anywhere in the Chicago area? There are a number of members with shelter affiliations there that may be able to help. She should be trapped and fostered with her babies.

An animal warden most likely works with a county or city shelter. Do you know anything about your local city/county shelter? Policies can vary radically... but it is kitten season, and places may be getting full up.
You might want to chat with the animal warden first... if they're going to take them somewhere they'll just be euthanized, you might want to look into alternatives.

It's too late to contact any shelters now... but you might want to call around in the morning. Search for shelters at http://www.petfinder.com and see if there are any foster networks in your area that might be able to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I discussed this poor girl with the office manager at my vet's office just last week. My vet, a wonderful man, is paid by the county to run their shelter. I plan to call this lady in the morning and let her know that this is the cat we talked about.

Laurie, I'm 5 hours from Chicago so that doesn't help me. I will definitely talk with the animal warden before I let him do anything. I'm just afraid something will get to the kittens before their Mama can be trapped.

After thinking it over, if the animal warden gives me the old "maybe next week" routine, I will call my alderman for help. He and my Dad were friends, and he got a trap for my Mom once the same day she called him. Hopefully, I can tell him who my Dad was and he'll be willing to help out. I'll give the animal warden a chance first; I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the cat and kittens are ok until you hear back from the animal warden

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where in Illinois do you live? If you don't want to give me the exact town that is fine. Are you Northwest of Chicago or down South? I am only asking this to see if I can make some calls to some people to offer you assistance or advice.

I don't think there is much you can do at this point. If you trap the mother now, and then take the kittens with her into a home environment, she will most likely not care for her kittens as she will be too traumatized. The only thing you could do would be to wait a couple of weeks or so for them to nurse and then raid the nest and take the kittens to be hand-reared. The kittens will at that point still be able to be tamed very, very easily. OR, you leave the kittens outside with the mother until they are starting to leave the nest on their own and then start trapping. The mother must be trapped and spayed after she is done weaning these kittens. She will end up getting pregnant very, very soon after those kittens are weaned. And if she has been roaming in your area for a year, she might have had other kittens. She really needs to be trapped and spayed.

I fear that if the "animal warden" (never heard that term before) come to trap her, she WILL NOT go into a trap and leave her kittens, very, very unlikely. If she feels a threat to the nest, she will move the kittens elsewhere and just come to eat. Then you cannot trap her, she needs to be left to care for those kittens. And if she does go in the trap, animal control will put her down along with the kittens, I fear. I am so sorry. Just let me know how far you are from say Schaumburg, IL.

I am just adding this as I just got off the phone with advice from Feral Fixers. You will have to leave the mother alone to care for those kittens at this point. Just feed the mother as much as you can, extra food, canned kitten food would be best. Feed her at the usual time, the usual place and stay away from the nest. You might have to monitor the nest to make sure she is caring for them. If she feels the nest is threatened she will try to move them or worse abandon the nest. Then you will have to step in and gather the kittens up for hand-rearing. The director is calling me back later or tomorrow with more advice as she was very short on time.
I will then post if there is any other advice or suggestions she has.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feralvr, thanks for all the advice
I'm 5 hours from Chicago in the far western part of Illinois.

My vet has gotten in trouble with the city before because he refuses to put animals down until they have been given every chance in the world. Euthenasia really isn't my biggest concern right now.

I know this can't be her first litter; since there have been no new kittens in the neighborhood (and, as I said, she's been here almost a year) I'm certain she's having babies and they're being killed by something, be it a tom, a raccoon, whatever. I don't think I can just leave her where she is; her kittens will be at the mercy of any creature that comes into my yard. And there are at least 4 other cats that visit my yard frequently. I just feel as if I can't leave them there to be killed.

I appreciate the help, but I'm really afraid to just let them be.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I don't think there is much you can do at this point. If you trap the mother now, and then take the kittens with her into a home environment, she will most likely not care for her kittens as she will be too traumatized.
Good point. As we live in a rural area, and the ferals here are ferals, we've never fostered a pregnant female or a mom with kittens. If we missed trapping a female, we let her raise the kittens until they're weaned, and then we trap them, they get fostered, and she gets trapped and spayed.

What actually are the dangers there? I'm guessing it's actually pretty safe for mom and babies there, especially if she doesn't have to travel far (or cross a street?) for her food.
If she was giving you the evil eye, then her mom instincts are working just fine - especially if they're a couple of days old now, she's doing what she needs to do.

It probably is best to leave her with them for now. Whatever happens, it is VERY important to keep up the routine as it was, and leave the nest alone. If she feels at all threatened, she will move them (and may have already).

But if the feral moms we've known are anything to go by... they know how to raise their babies, and if you keep providing mom with food, she'll bring them to it as they begin to transition to real food.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she moves them, you don't know how much I hope she moves them! They are barely protected at the moment; my old falling apart wheelbarrow is leaning on my compost bin, sort of a 45 degree angle. She and the kittens are right under the wheel barrow, you can stand on the sidewalk 5 feet away and look right at her. They have little if any protection from the rain, and definitely no protection from predators.

I believe that, at some point, she had a litter under the neighbor's shed. I believe that litter was probably killed under that shed and that's why she didn't go back there. I know, I just know, that if something isn't done this litter will be killed, too. I don't want to cause her any problems, I truly don't, but I don't want to feel responsible for her babies being killed.

I almost feel as if I'm in a no-win situation.
If she truly felt threatened, she would move them someplace safer?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, that really doesn't sound like a good place for her kittens under that wheel barrel. That poor mama cat she must have moved them there. It sounds like your vet is a very nice person and will be able to help you tomorrow. I feel for you in this situation and you are right, that does not sound like a good place for a nest. No protection and they could get quite sick out in the elements. And, yes, mom cat might move them tonight again if she feels that spot is not safe. Feral cats are extremely savvy when it comes to their kits. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good help for you for these little babies. Let us know how it all turns out

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Would it be possible to try to put a tarp over them? Would that traumatize the mom too much? When Whisper had her first litter of kittens, she still belonged to the neighbors. But she brought her kittens over to our house and nestled them in our ferns at the top of the driveway. We found them and DH put a blue tarp over the family. She would leave to hunt and come back with her food. As the kittens started to wean off her milk, we bought kitten food for them to eat. They lived under the tarp in the ferns for several weeks.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took food and fresh water out a little while ago; the Mama was there, at least 1 and maybe 2 kittens were squirming around. The wheelbarrow she's under is just an old wooden thing that has no end on it anymore, so basically she's got nothing over her babies. I found an old shutter that I put over the top rail of the compost bin and the end of the wheelbarrow. She didn't like that at all, and ran off into the yard. Of course, that's the closest I've ever been to her and I'm sure she didn't appreciate it. I'm trying not to check on her every 5 minutes, 'cause I know that will upset her.

The animal warden comes in at 8; hopefully, I'll be one of his first calls this morning. The forecast is calling for rain all weekend long, and it worries me to think of those babies out there.

Winchester, I do have a tarp I can try to put over her. I'll get Dave to help me with that later on.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can get her some help!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten update: Dave went outside, came back in immediately, and said, "The Mama's on the patio, and there's a kitten there somewhere but I can't find it." She had brought 1 kitten to the patio (where the food and water always are) and left it in a pile of leaves in the corner by the chimney. That gave me a chance to check her nest--2 little ones there.
Of course, an uncovered pile of leaves is no place for kittens, either. So, I opened the door to a Rubbermaid-type outdoor storage cabinet we have; it has a bottom in it, and I put a patio chair cushion inside, got another shutter to cover the open door better, and put the 1 kitten inside. The Mama watched the whole thing from about 10 feet away. We came back in and watched out the window; she was heading back to the wheelbarrow. Hopefully, she's going to bring the other 2 close to the house, too.
It's still not a very safe place for her to be, since the neighborhood strays will come there to eat.
No call yet from the animal warden (which doesn't surprise me)
Will keep you posted.

Five minutes later: Dave went out to check--she's brougt another kitten to the pile of leaves, the first is still in the cabinet, and she's in the pile of leaves growling. I hope she doesn't think we stole her first baby! Will she have sense enough to take them into the cabinet to keep them dry?
Can you tell I'm worried about this whole thing?

btw, the open cabinet door is literally 2 feet from the pile of leaves, so she shouldn't have any trouble finding it.