The 2019 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks good AbbysMom AbbysMom Is that going to be your exercise room? I like the lilac walls.

I worked from 10 am to 9 pm on Sunday, but I had a couple of long breaks. I did 45 minutes yoga in the first break and a 45 minute walk in the second one.

Monday was an hour of yoga.

Today I started with a 40 minute Mandala Flow yoga routine. Heading out for a long walk now. Might even get in some bedtime yoga too as I finish work early today.

:bliss:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Well folks, my motivation took a dive into the bowl of mashed potatoes over Thanksgiving and it just wallowed there through the holidays. I did manage to keep up with the weight training which is why I only gained 7 lbs back instead of all 30! lol
Getting back on track, I've actually run a couple of miles on the treadmill with only one short (.02 mi) break. Working on going straight through.
Also, I've decided to do 10 mins of 5 a days before Pilates... it seems to keep my heart rate up more through the routines.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That looks good AbbysMom AbbysMom Is that going to be your exercise room? I like the lilac walls.
No, that's my bedroom. :lol:

It's assembled and I'm reading up on it now. I'm downloading an app to help with tracking. I'll probably take it slow and not go for super long the first few days to break myself back into it. I don't want to hurt myself. I did fall off of a treadmill once. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be careful on that treadmill !!! Don't want this to be you. ;)

upload_2019-1-22_11-43-9.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's impressive mani mani Is it comfortable to use?

AbbysMom AbbysMom I'd face plant as soon as I switched that treadmill on, I know I would.

:lol:

Tuesday I did yoga in the morning, walked for 90 minutes and then did yoga in the evening too. In retrospect that probably was a little too much. I was so tired on Wednesday I only managed 30 minutes yoga.

I've done a 45 minute Ladder Flow yoga session so far today. I'm going for a walk now. It's a beautiful day out there.

:sunshine:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
mani mani I love, love your DeskCycle! That would be great to have here at work or for at home, while watching tv in the living room. As it is, I will often get off the couch during tv commercials and walk around a bit. I really like that Cycle. Nice.

One time, I was at a planning seminar. I was in the hotel's fitness room walking on the treadmill. This guy came in and started in on a treadmill. It was obvious that he wasn't really used to a treadmill. Well, he walked for a couple minutes, then he turned the speed up to a fast run. He didn't make it. The belt took off, but he didn't. Fell on the belt, and hit the wall behind the treadmill. He sank to the floor. I turned my treadmill off, and ran over. He was fine; he said his pride was damaged, but physically, he was OK. I saw him the next day at lunch and asked him how he felt. He was OK, but very embarrassed.

Monday -
21,484 steps for the day = 11.2 miles
34 floors
149 active minutes

21,537 steps for the day = 11.22 miles
30 floors
157 active minutes

21,670 steps for the day = 11.3 miles
30 floors
137 active minutes

I read on FitBit's FB page about an older woman who received a Fitbit (not sure which one) and lost 120 pounds, just by walking around her house. You can do anything if you want it badly enough!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I almost had an oopsie today. I stepped on the side of the treadmill and almost fell. :lol:

I did 40 minutes on it Tuesday and Wednesday and 45 today and a slightly faster pace.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hated my treadmill because I'd be walking along and almost fall. It was like it would hesitate every now and then. It wasn't very expensive. I am enjoying the elliptical much more. Although my foot shifts on that some too. At least with holding on it's harder to fall off of.

I am up to 3 miles on the elliptical. That was my goal. Once this gets too easy I'll start adding resistance and all the fancy settings I've never used on it. :lol: I've only gotten to use the Bowflex once this week but I do feel so good after that. My routine seems to be that I finish school with my kids, jump into my workout, cook dinner in my workout clothes before DH gets home and then I can get a shower and eat. It's almost a mental treadmill for me. Eh; it's working! I had to adjust my bra to the tightest hook because it was unhooking itself; so theres a progress marker. :flail::paperbag:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
lol... I know all about using the bra as a progress marker. :crackup:

I took yesterday off, so I'll be hitting the treadmill today, then probably a little easy yoga later this evening. I told my trainer about my plans for doubling up on certain exercises [run + yoga, 5's + pilates], and he said it could be a very effective technique... so long as I can keep the food in check.

I like using the treadmill for my running because it forces me to keep a steady pace. I'm hoping to do it enough on the treadmill that it will create enough muscle memory to keep that pace out on the roads. It's not as easy as ya might think.

I also like the elliptical, I can really feel it in the glutes when I get going on that thing.
The bike... not my fave, though it seems to be my trainer's fave. He often has me use the recumbent (chair style). I really just need to buckle down and get a real bike. I used to bike everywhere when I was younger, and I enjoyed it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still haven't tried yoga. :(

But I did get a few outdoor walks in this week.
Sat: 13 min
Mon: 17 min
Fri: 19 min
Not great. But better than nothing. :walk:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have an upright bike but I never got into it. The seat was super uncomfortable and various parts of my body would fall asleep after too long even after we added a gel cushion bike seat. :paranoid: My kids used it more like a piece of playground equipment. They'd each stand on a pedal and make each other go up and down. :rolleyes: At least that was a clearance find because it's now in my garage. We really need a bigger house with a basement for workout space!

I did use an upright bike when I was doing physical therapy for my foot last year. It was more comfortable for sure but I'm sure it cost 10x what I paid for mine. The bike was something nice for those days when you just feel the need to move but can't get outdoors. I suppose I can still use it like that. I should encourage the kids to use it to burn off some energy. They aren't allowed on my elliptical. ;)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I was working around the house yesterday and when I realized that I was close to getting 75 floors in, I just kept at it....down to the basement and back up again. And I did it. 75 floors. I got the Ferris Wheel badge from Fitbit last night.
FerrisWheel.png

Thursday -
19,073 steps for the day = 9.94 miles
27 floors
134 active minutes

Friday -
23,027 steps for the day = 12 miles
76 floors
164 active minutes

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's incredibly comfortable. I can't believe how easy it is to just sit here and cycle! It shows distance, calories used etc.
That's a really clever idea. How's your toe now, is it getting better?

My routine seems to be that I finish school with my kids, jump into my workout, cook dinner in my workout clothes before DH gets home and then I can get a shower and eat
It's good to have a routine, it makes it easier to stick to it if your exercise time fits in with your schedule.

I got the Ferris Wheel badge from Fitbit last night.
Oh, well done!

I didn't do anything yesterday as I had a load of chores that needed doing. Just one hour of yoga today, but I did lots of core and arm balances to make it worth while.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
75 floors. I got the Ferris Wheel badge from Fitbit last night.
You've set the bar so high now, us mere mortals, well me anyway, will never come close to your badges. I did get 30 floors, though, that one time. :rolleyes2: Congrats, though, on the Ferris Wheel. That's incredible. :cheerleader:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think my treadmill is on a slight incline even without having it on incline. I got the Ferris Wheel badge the other day and definitely didn't do 75 flights of stairs, although I did go up and down our stairs a lot that day. I'm going to have to get a level out and check.

Not a great day yesterday for exercise. I only did 22 minutes on he treadmill. I got on and everything just hurt. I don't know if it's because I had a really bad night of sleep the night before or not. I'll try again today.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry I have been MIA..a case of the darn winter blues so I have been reading tons of books or watching tv on my phone to stay distracted. I went to the gym once this month but the other times I went=I ended up driving out because no parking where I could fit the dump truck-seems parking lots make the spaces smaller and smaller=and I am NOT good at backing up into small spaces.

Did I tell you I got that slim cycle thing? I used it twice this past week, walked in place 3 times this week during lunch break..I gave up on the boots I normally wear-I started wearing these much bigger ones and seems the boots I was using squishes my toes together causing problems.

I still have some pain but I can now walk farther. I still not used to the arch. I ordered these special diabetic boots the doctor recommended = they do fit=and they have one size wider if these don't work...they were not cheap and not impressed with the construction of the boot-they seem cheaply made with very thin soles but I got my foot into them even with the new insoles=they are still just temps-they keep trying different things to try to get me some relief=but the too tight boots must have been causing the trouble.

SOOOooo I HOPE this coming Month of Feb I can finally walk a bit like I did 2 years ago...

This cycle fits in a closet and I removed the handle bars under the seat because Im too wide for it-it was digging into my sides.

slimd.jpg

I was suprised how quiet it is. Bulbhead had the cheapest deal for it. ebay expensive.
I want to buy this bike next winter

712UGCGD7yL._SL1500_.jpg

I love riding my bike when the weather cooperates. I haven't ridden since October? November? We have had 0 degree weather at night so during the day it's only 25 degrees-too cold to ride.

Anyways I have to stop to do errands tonight so will try to get 30 minutes on the slim cycle.

Good job Winchester Winchester on your badge!

Love the treadmill AbbysMom AbbysMom !

I love the bow flex and all those machines! One day whenever I declutter my office I hope to build an exercise room..but not sure if I want to cram a king size bed in there or exercise equipment in there...sorry for the edit-the new roller mouse sometimes clicks on things that I didn't intend on! Its great for those with bad elbows and wrists but takes some getting used to...

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So, was talking with my trainer today about treadmills and how y'all were talking about people who hurt themselves on them. He agreed that of all the machines in a gym the treadmill can cause the most damage if a person doesn't treat them with a bit of respect. THEN he mentioned this guy who did a dance on a treadmill some time back on the Ellen show, that subsequently spurred a rash of yahoos trying to do the same thing. There were apparently so many injuries that gyms had to threaten banishment for even so much as walking on them backwards.

So, because I know we all emulate the curiosity of our cats...

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat I've seen people do that on treadmills. It's really amazing! I can't chew gum and walk at the same time! But, when I was having trouble with that piriformis muscle, my PT told me to walk backward on my treadmill.....very, very slowly....for the first 100 steps, then stop and walk normally. Why? Because it got the muscles doing something they weren't used to doing and he was hoping that would work the problem out, along with massage and exercises. It worked, eventually, but it's not easy walking backward on a treadmill, even at a really slow speed. At least, not for me.

I really like your slim cycle. Very nice! Good luck with your diabetic boots.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles I'm wondering if your belt was slipping. On my old treadmill, the belt used to slip. It eventually got so bad that I'd go down and start the treadmill and let it run for a couple minutes to warm it up before I got on the thing. We bought a treadmill maintenance kit and tried to grease the belt and the parts. It would work for a while, but then it would start slipping again. In fairness, I had that thing forever and a day and used it hard, so we can't complain. But that's when we bought a new treadmill.

AbbysMom AbbysMom Love the lilac walls. When we first got a treadmill, we put it in our bedroom. But then, when I started really thumping on the thing, Rick was afraid that treadmill and Pam would go through the bedroom floor. Back when I could run, I had it going and everything in the bedroom would start to vibrate. The treadmill ended up in the basement. And now the elliptical's in the bedroom.

I managed 10,000 steps yesterday, but barely. I was busy in the kitchen pretty much all day. I don't worry so much on weekends, so it was OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.