The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, it's best on an empty stomach. A lot of people get up early and do yoga before breakfast. I'm not really a morning person (or a breakfast person) I usually try to limit myself to a coffee and a small glass of juice before yoga.
I'm not exactly a morning person, but once I am up, I do need to eat something, so yoga before breakfast wouldn't work for me. :sigh: So still trying to figure out the best time to give yoga a try. Maybe early evening? :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not exactly a morning person, but once I am up, I do need to eat something, so yoga before breakfast wouldn't work for me. :sigh: So still trying to figure out the best time to give yoga a try. Maybe early evening? :dunno:
Yes, as long as it's a few hours after you last big meal that would be OK. You just don't want to do it on a full stomach.

I spent four hours clearing wood after the typhoon today. So tired now! That has to be great for your upper body strength and cardiovascular system.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Monday -
Nothing much. Just some steps from working outside and such.
15,206 steps for the day = 7.92 miles

Tuesday -
3 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 500+ steps per hour
15,735 steps for the day = 8.2 miles

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You know, I can walk 3 miles on the treadmill and my Fitbit will show 4,500 or 4,900 or even 4,100 steps, depending on what it feels like showing. Yet, I can walk 3 miles around the house, down and up the steps, into the bedrooms, around in the basement, etc and it will show 6,300 steps! I don't get it. It's not showing treadmill steps.

And since it's been so blasted humid, I decided to walk around the house instead of hitting the treadmill. I don't sweat nearly as bad and I'm actually showing steps.

Wednesday -
3 miles on the treadmill
12/12 hours with 500+steps per hour
16,137 steps for the day = 8.4 miles

Thursday -
3 miles walking around the house
12/12 hours with 500+ steps per hour
20,022 steps for the day = 10.43 miles

The mileage is a little more accurate than it was, I think.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I read an interesting article about FitBit the other day Winchester Winchester

Watch your step: why the 10,000 daily goal is built on bad science

Yesterday I spent about 2 hours cleaning up the enclosure and fixing the fence, then did yoga for an hour.

Today I did two 90 minute walks looking for Sadie. No sign of her yet, but it's very warm out and there are still puddles of water everywhere, so I guess she's OK.

Have you noticed I always lose a cat around this time of year and spend weeks walking around looking for them?

Hope she comes back home soon.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Sadie, get your butt home! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

That is interesting, thank you! I often wondered where the 10,000 step goal came from and why that number is important. Somebody on another forum mentioned that only walking at about 2 mph or above is beneficial; if you're walking below 2 mph, you're not really doing yourself any good. I find that a little hard to believe, esp for beginning walkers. The whole thing is confusing and, basically, I walk because I enjoy walking.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, I haven't posted here all week!

:paperbag:

My good news is that Sadie fond her way home. I guess she decided I'd done my mileage and it was time to give me a break from all that walking.

:lol:

1 hour walk and 1 hour of yoga Saturday and Sunday.
3 hours walk and 1 hour of yoga on Monday.
90 minutes walk and 2 one hour yoga sessions on Tuesday.
Wednesday Sadie was home, so just 90 minutes of yoga.
1 hour of yoga yesterday.
2 one hour yoga sessions today.

It's a lot cooler these days, it's about time I went horse riding again.

How's everyone else doing?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
New ortho weenie lol was much more informed than the last quack of a doctor. Evidently theres mechanical problems with the foot and got to get a custom built orthotic. That appointment is oct 5th. I begged him for a steroid shot as it's been so painful. It made it hurt bad for first 2 hours but then took some stuff to help with pain when got home. So nice waking up without it throbbing. Will see how it feels at end of day. No surgery. Said the spurs are not causing the issues. He said the big bone in front of foot that connect to middle joint of big toe is impacted. Thats why it hurts. Said that bone is supposed to slide back and forth. Said ligaments are not the issue. Said don't life that much again without building up to it lol. I can't help it. I love lifting heavy weights. My muscles have increased their strength 4 times since i started this whole thing. Feels good to pick up 50 lbs like it's nothing. Makes me feel strong and gives me esteem. But i started at 20lbs so took abit.

The custom foot thingy is on oct 5 so hopefully by then it will get better. Weird how this all happened. Said my foot is trying to compensate for the weakness and it causes long term issues. Didn't say anything about improperly fitting footware. I forgot to ask for doctor note to wear safety toe sneakers instead of requided leather boots since Timberland no longer sells true to size wide width boots for women. I hate the mens boots. Stiff and inside feels funky like rocks inside.

Anyways i wemt to the gym last week on tues and thurs then this week tues. They have new equipment for mobility handicap people which I will be using next time. An arm spinning machine thats pretty hard and a sit down elliptical machine. Its the bomb. I used that one in the Portsmouth gym. I highly recommend planet fitness. Oh and they ditched those uncomfortable cycles with the seats that hurt. They got new ones and what a difference . Been averaging 6 miles in 30 min just like I do on my bike.

Rode my bike last week mon and wed and i think this monday. Then it got too muggy again. I prefer riding in the winter because I sweat so much.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I somehow managed to hurt my back, so I haven't been doing any walking. It's starting to feel better, so hopefully will be able to get out again soon.

Norachan Norachan : glad Sadie came back. Also interesting article about the 10,000 steps. Somehow I suspect 3000 brisk steps that get the heart rate up, are better than 10,000 leisurely steps around the house.

foxxycat foxxycat : glad you don't need surgery. But be careful with the weights.

M maggiedemi : 3 pounds sounds about the same as me. Though I think my dumbbells might be 5 pounds.

Winchester Winchester : how's this week going for you?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news about not needing surgery foxxycat foxxycat You've really been hitting the gym! I'm impressed.

rubysmama rubysmama Yes, I think you're right. A short fast walk should be much better for your cardiovascular system than a long leisurely stroll. It's frustrating that more research hasn't been done on this. Hope your back is better soon.

Good job with the weights M maggiedemi

How's your walking going Winchester Winchester ?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat A custom orthotic is much better than surgery any day. I'm glad the steroid shot helped with the pain. Take it easy with the weights for a while. My ortho weenie told me last year that I am no longer "young" and I have to remember that. What I could do years ago I cannot do any longer. I'm 63 and you're considerably younger, but in a way, that still applies. Take it easy. Oh, and I hope you're able to get safety toe sneakers as they are much more comfortable than those regular shoes!

As for me, I'm still walking. I just haven't posted. I'm still frustrated about the blasted FitBit. I've been walking, but staying off the treadmill; that way, I get most of my steps, but I need to get back on the treadmill at least to get my heartrate back up. But since Rick isn't here, I won't hit the treadmill early in the morning anyway. But I'm walking around the house and doing some walking outside in the yard. Yesterday, I managed to get 18,184 steps = 9.47 miles.

I took Thursday off, but walked every other day this week, so that's not too bad.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That definitely counts Winchester Winchester Extra steps and upper body strengh.

I did 90 minutes of yoga yesterday, 90 minutes walk and 1 hour of yoga today.

Yoga's really good for your lower back rubysmama rubysmama Just type "beginners yoga for back pain" into YouTube and see what comes up.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I forgot to post here. Been hectic at work and they are laying off people in November then who knows what will happen after.

I haven't rode my bike because still too humid. Msybe today.

I've been hitting thr gym mondays wed and fridays. Mon did 30 min on bike. Forgot my lunch and had a salad to eat and ran out of power. Yesterday did 12 miles about an hour on bike and big difference when I fuel my body...

Rubysmom I hope your back gets better..if you have a planet fitness try their hydro massage bed. You can use it as much as you want with a black card..22 a month..for me hot pulsing showers feel good...hoping you can get some relief soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.