The 2018 Exercise Motivation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Whoops, it's been a while since my last post.

:paperbag:

I'm glad to see everyone else is still working so hard.

M maggiedemi a trick when you run is to match your breathing to your steps. I try breathing in for 4 steps and then out for 4 steps. That keeps me at a comfortable jogging pace. If you go too fast your breathing speeds up and then you start panting. Keep your pace slower and you'll be able to build up your stamina without getting too short of breath.

Monday I went to Tokyo and walked around for hours, Tried to make sure I took the stairs on the way out of all the stations and was on my feet all afternoon.

Tuesday I did an hour of yoga then spent about 2 hours clearing up after the last typhoon.

Wednesday 90 minutes of yoga and about an hour building a cat walkway out of odd bits of felled trees. The cats love it!

Yesterday I went horse riding for two hours. We went to a place called Miura Kaigan and rode horse on the beach.

Horses74.jpg

Tiny little miniature ponies.
Horses75.jpg
Horses77.jpg

I rode a horse called Panda
Horses83.jpg

Mr Husband rode Napoleon.
Horses88.jpg

I made a video too, but it's too big to upload. have to do a bit of editing.....

I was a bit stiff today, so just walked for an hour then did an hour or easy yoga.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the breathing tips, I never thought to try that.
I love the horse and pony pics, that's the best kind of exercise, with animals. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the breathing tips, I never thought to try that.
I love the horse and pony pics, that's the best kind of exercise, with animals. :)
Yeah, it is! Having a dog to walk or a horse to ride makes exercise really enjoyable. I finally got the video to upload properly.

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in the hospital recovering from something uncomfortable but I still got to try yoga nearing the end of my stay at the treatment center.

I love it so much. Now I feel like I need to buy some yoga gear since all I have is the mat. And my mat is ...falling apart old. I'll be back to update on progress properly and say encourage others. I just got home, but I just wanted ya'll to know I was thinking of you :]

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad you liked the video M maggiedemi Every time I watch it I have this really strong urge to go horse riding again.

:hyper:

Sorry to hear you've been ill dalpaengi dalpaengi It sounds like you need to treat yourself to some yoga gear. They do some really flattering, comfortable leggings and tops these days. They make you feel very athletic when you wear them.

Saturday I did 90 minutes of yoga and a 90 minute walk.

Sunday I bought myself a new pair of hiking boots. Ta Da!

Walk106.jpg

Then I went for a walk to break them in. They're very comfortable. Monday 90 minutes of yoga and a 90 minute walk. Today 1 hour of yoga and 1 hour of digging, raking, and hauling wood around.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I did 90 minutes of yoga today, working on my core and arm strength. Lots of planks and side planks and a few arm balances too.

A few more pictures from my walks, looks like autumn is coming.

Walk104.jpg
Walk115.jpg
Walk122.jpg
Walk134.jpg

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Your pictures are gorgeous! I just love your hair. Those boots are really great.

dalpaengi dalpaengi Are you OK now? I hope you're feeling better.

I was under the weather this week, so didn't get a lot done. So far....

Sunday -
17,201 steps for the day = 8.95 miles

Monday - (I tried, I swear I tried, but nope.)
7,904 steps for the day = 4.11 miles

Tuesday - (I'd get up from the bed, go to the couch, and then go back to bed. Rick said Mollipop followed every step I made. Bed, couch, bed, couch, she was right there.)
1,580 steps for the day = 0.82 miles

Wednesday -
13,185 steps for the day = 6.87 miles

Thursday -
13,350 steps for the day = 6.95 miles

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you Winchester Winchester Those boots are very comfortable. I think I'll get plenty of use out of them, it's perfect hiking weather now.

Sorry to hear you've been feeling rough, it sounds like a day on the couch was what you needed.

Yesterday I did an hour of yoga, an hour walk and an hour of yard work.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How's everyone doing this week?

Saturday and Sunday I was busy at work, but had time for a 45 minute power yoga flow one day and an hour of longer holds and a slower flow the next.

Monday was 90 minutes of yoga, 1 hour of yard work.

Tuesday. Nothing much, just a short bike ride.

Today I did an hour Vinyassa class and another hour working outside. The new walkway I've been building for the cats is just about finished.

:hyper:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My exercise mostly consists of painting when my back feels good. It's no worse, but definitely not pleased that I keep climbing ladders, twisting and reaching to paint, lifting heavy paints cans, etc. By the time I finish painting, and my back is back to normal, it'll probably be too cold to go outside walking. Maybe I'll get back on track in the spring. :sigh: Or I'll just walk up and down the escalators at the mall. :wink:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good job Winchester Winchester Wow, over ten miles! That's impressive.

rubysmama rubysmama Are you decorating your house? That sounds like hard work, no wonder your back hurts.

I walked for 90 minutes on Thursday and did about an hour of yoga too. I found some yoga videos that were recorded at Mysore in India, a real mecca for yoga lovers. The class is pretty challenging, but the breathing exercises are very helpful.

90 minutes of yoga yesterday too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Are you decorating your house? That sounds like hard work, no wonder your back hurts.
Yes. Painting all the inside walls, trim, baseboards and doors. So lots of climbing, bending, and stretching, etc. Good exercise, I guess, but a lot of wear and tear on muscles and joints I rarely use. What I've done so far looks great. So I'll just have to continue to take it slow and do a little at a time.

I need to try yoga. And I did one day, but it was when my back was really sore, and it didn't go well. :frown: I will try again, but have to figure out how I can see the tv to follow along, while lying on the floor on my yoga mat. Oh, and keeping Ruby from using my mat as a scratcher. :rolleyes2: And constantly head bumping me. :catrub:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, and keeping Ruby from using my mat as a scratcher. :rolleyes2: And constantly head bumping me.
I bought my cats some of those rubber jigsaw puzzle tiles so they'd leave my mat alone. They have them up one wall and lining the bottom of the big crate. It hasn't stopped them going for my mat though.

:rolleyes3:

I had a busy weekend, but I did a 45 minute power yoga class after work both days.

Monday was 1 hour of yoga, 1 hour raking leaves and weeding.

Tuesday was 1 hour of yoga.

Today I did a 90 minute Vinyassa flow and a bit of dragging stuff around on the deck. I'm starting to get things packed away for winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.